Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I remember when Hackenberg was talked about as the #1 pick. Probably the same people who did that talked the Jets into picking him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I remember when Chandler Jones, Collins and Hightower were coming up as FAs the same year and we were wondering which of them we'd keep.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Kalli posted:

Jairus Byrd - 31
Jamaal Charles - 31
Darrelle Revis - 32
Adrian Peterson - 32

Imagine saying all these guys would be shot by now 3 years ago.
The 2007 draft class with Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis and Darrelle Revis is basically down to Joe Thomas. That's depressing.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Price of Garoppolo now set at 4 First Round picks.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
It's a low enough offer where you might be better off beating it and taking your changes with him in the offseason.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Shangri-Law School posted:

When's the last time a team actually got the better of the Pats in a trade?
They've also had a lot of trades where they bought low on a guy but it still didn't work out at all, even if it didn't cost them much. Guys like Bostic, Mingo, Haynesworth, Ochocinco, etc.

For the bigger ones I would still say Arizona came out ahead with the Chandler Jones trade, Cleveland with the Jamie Collins trade.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Intruder posted:

That's a spicy one
I looked up that article and I have no idea what they were going for, it looks like it might as well have been an anonymous post on some Dallas Cowboys fan forum. Another excerpt:

quote:

He's won two playoff games in his career, which gives him the same amount as Rex Grossman, Donovan McNabb and Matt Cassel, but puts him one postseason victory behind Colin Kaepernick and Mark Sanchez.
How do you write that and not have that internal alarm going off in your head. McNabb has 9 playoff wins, Cassel has 0, Kaepernick and Sanchez both have 4.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Wait that was from an article? I just assumed it was from a comment somewhere.
It's total clickbait aiming for angry responses. Still, it's from a guy paid to write sports full time with a major organization.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/tony-romo-win-super-bowl-free-agent-broncos-texans-trade-031017

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I like it!

I'm guessing the answer is "No one knows" but what does that mean for anything Malcolm Butler related?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I think they're just being fair in their evaluations. Giving big money to old guards doesn't seem like a great proposition.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
He was still really good when healthy, although that was happening less and less.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

sean10mm posted:

Does #8 all-time in sacks (as of now) get him in?

It should, because DeMarcus Ware loving owned.
In with lots of room to spare.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Are there even a lot of extra Cowboys in compared to other successful teams? They haven't put in "extra" members of the 90's guys yet and I don't think they're going to, either.

WHOOPS posted:

I think Julius Peppers is more of a question mark to get in than Ware as far as how his off-the-field reputation might impact him. Ware seems like a lock.
Peppers is not a question mark at all.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

The pats can make literally any RB look amazingly good.

Remember Jonas Gray's 200 yard 4 touchdown game?

Bellicheck is a master at finding a niche use for a specific guy and exploiting that to an absurd degree. It doesn't require that the player actually be good at their position in a more general sense.
Counterpoint: Brandon Bolden

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I will say this, I think the regime in Cleveland knows they need to show some progress, they can't have another 1 or 2 win season or they'll all be fired. I doubt they'll want to rely on Cody Kessler or Brock Osweiler to get them to the 4-5 win promised land. And none of the quarterback prospects look particularly promising, certainly not as guys who you can plug in right away. I think this really leaves the Browns in a tough position with an uninspiring list of free agent QB's or taking a gamble on a somewhat unknown commodity like Jimmy G.

Edit:

If you're Sashi and Hue would you rather hook your wagon to Jimmy G or one of these guys?

Colin Kaepernick
Jay Cutler
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Robert Griffin III
Chase Daniel
Josh McCown
Case Keenum
Shaun Hill
Matt McGloin
E.J. Manuel
Blaine Gabbert
Mark Sanchez
Geno Smith
Dan Orlovsky
Josh Johnson
Christian Ponder
Thaddeus Lewis
T.J. Yates
Kellen Moore
Ryan Nassib
David Fales
Bruce Gradkowski
Austin Davis
Charlie Whitehurst
I would absolutely take Cutler over Garoppolo for a single season, even disregarding what you'd end up trading. Probably Kaep and Fitzpatrick as well.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Seabass is one of the most successful Raiders first round picks ever. I can't blame the bucs for trying to get one of their own, but loving :lol: if you watched his senior season at FSU and thought Aguyo was the guy.
Janikowski isn't a successful first round pick and the Raiders have made plenty in their history that what you said is nowhere near true.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Raku posted:

Seabass is a fine pick... In retrospect. The problem is that the only way a kicker is worth that is if he stays for at least a decade. If you knew you were locking down a guy who was actually good that's fine, however a kicker that busts can't provide depth like a first round linebacker or something can
I don't think that's true either, since one of the issues with taking kickers is that there are a lot of good ones available every year as cheap free agents. You have to get more than the average value of a kicker, which is tough since the average kicker is pretty good and the changes And like with most draft picks the real value comes before you have to pay market value for them. With Janikowski they've been paying him top dollar since day 1 so what did they really gain? He's had as many bad years as good ones.

Volkerball posted:

A fringe top 10 kicker for a decade isn't very valuable actually. We probably would've stumbled upon someone better over the last decade if kicker had been a need.
^^^

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
How many LBs do people say are good in coverage? I feel like it's 3 to 5 guys in the whole league.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

Hot take incoming, retiring jerseys is a poo poo tradition
Additionally, Frank Gore doesn't deserve it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Spoeank posted:

are you literally a retarded person?
No, you're thinking of Frank Gore.

MrLogan posted:

Frank Gore is a lock for the HoF, imo.
Not even close.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

If Terrell Davis is in there is absolutely no argument against Tony Boselli not being in. He had around double TD's career as an utterly dominant player.
Davis being in opens the door for loving everyone. Shameful choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

TheBizzness posted:

I'm asking this in earnest: Was Marvin Harrison better at his position than Gore was at Rb?
Easily

• Locked thread