Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Packers free agents, all are UFA. Bolded the ones I think Ted will fight to keep:

OLB Julius Peppers -- Probably finished with the Packers unless he takes a cheaper contract (he won't).
OLB Nick Perry -- Will get the money freed up by Peppers. Slow to develop but had a great season in 2016. Ted will be very reluctant to let him go.
OLB Datone Jones -- Hasn't shown any reason for the Packers to retain him. Will end up as a backup somewhere for cheap.
CB Sam Shields -- Finished with the Packers and likely with football.
SS Micah Hyde -- Will be resigned. Not excellent at any one position but can play all secondary positions very well. Given the Packers' penchant for injuries, that's a valuable asset to have.
C JC Tretter -- Will probably be resigned, he's a very valuable backup/starter.
G TJ Lang -- Possibly won't be resigned, he's turning 30 and has a high cap hit for a guard. Ted let Sitton go, abruptly, and his replacement turned out pretty good still. Be a shame to see him go, though. He'll be a solid 2-3 year investment for a team that's in need of interior help.
RT Don Barclay -- Probably won't be resigned. Was once a versatile backup who could play multiple positions on the line, but over the last two seasons has not really been able to hold up against opposing linemen.
LS Brett Goode -- Reliable and cheap, will probably be resigned.
RB Eddie Lacy -- May be resigned on a prove-it contract (like Perry last season), but Ted won't fight to keep him. Lacy/Monty would be a pretty decent 1-2 punch.
RB Christine Michael -- Cheap and provides okay depth. Who knows what Ted will decide to do? Keep him or look for another young RB?
RB James Starks -- Finished with the Packers and likely with football.
TE Jared Cook -- Took that prove-it contract and more than proved himself. Opened up the offense to near-2011 levels by playing a similar role that Finley once did -- but he can actually catch. Will be resigned.

Are there any Charles Woodson/Julius Peppers/Jared Cook-type reclamation project veterans in this year's free agency? These are the only players I care about :v: Thompson won't bother with anyone else so it's kinda useless to keep track of what's going on in FA as a Packers fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kalli posted:

There's a ton of teams with a ton of cap space and not that many good free agents to go around.

Gonna be a whole lot of overpaying going on.

If everyone is overpaid, are they really overpaid?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think Romo is way too much of a risk to devote any significant money. That injury history is incredibly concerning, and even if he is able to play well the likelihood of him missing multiple games is near 1.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

DC Murderverse posted:

I saw some article that said that Green Bay is the likely landing spot for Adrien Peterson and that's really dumb. Stop that, Green Bay, revenge for Favre in Purple is not worth hiring that kid-beater who is on his way to being a burden.

AP to Green Bay seems incredibly unlikely, to be honest.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I really doubt Ted is going to make a free agency splash at running back. What's likely to happen is we re-sign Lacy to a prove-it contract and run both him and Montgomery next season, then decide who to keep. Maybe draft another running back.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bears not keeping Jeffery is a mistake imo but of course my team keeps the talent that we draft and develop, so I'm biased here.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

I hope the Packers bring back Perry

It would be crazy if they didn't. He had an excellent season and seems to have gotten poo poo in order. Peppers is likely done with the Packers, so just move his money over to Perry. Draft and develop and keep.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fishing with the fam posted:

The dude is gonna be 32 at the start of the next season. The history of RBs over 32 is pretty bleak unless your name is Emmitt Smith.

I think the situation is a little different here because AP has had a few seasons off from being battered on a weekly basis because of being injured, and we've seen that he can come back from knee injuries with no problem. He's also psychotic about taking care of his body as much as possible, if you remember these articles about him a few years back.

I think he can last another two seasons and be fine. He's going to be a Patriot.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

DariusLikewise posted:

The only way that AP will be a Patriot is if he will take >2 million a year. No way Bill is tying up more than that on a single running back.

was looking up Patriots cap room to reply to this and I noticed Brady is being paid 1 million dollars for 2017.

Apparently the Patriots have 60 million in cap space? Putting down 5/year for two seasons of Adrian Peterson seems fine to me, especially since Brady's heading into his final several seasons.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/CecilLammey/status/836998972170518533

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Glennon is like twice as inept as Rex Grossman, though, let alone Orton/Cutler.

What is it with the Bears and barely-not-terrible quarterbacks? It's pathological.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sean10mm posted:

I don't think there is much actual evidence that slaveowners in the antebellum South - who were largely Southern Baptists with no grasp of genetics or even evolutionary theory - were pursuing an consistent program of selective breeding across multiple generations of slaves.

I agree that there's no actual evidence of a consistent program of selective breeding for Southern slavers. Your argument about why is specious, though.

Farmers, however, were performing selective breeding long, long before Mendel. It's not necessary to know even the slightest bit about genetics or evolutionary theory to decide to only take the offspring from the plants/livestock that have desirable traits.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's cool that it's so incredibly easy to make profit off owning a NFL team that rank incompetence is never, ever punished by the market. And Goodell/the NFL will never ever punish blatantly incompetent owners.

Competitive!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The NFL has learned nothing from the Brock Osweiler debacle, huh.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Bears really shouldn't have fired Lovie after that 10-6 season. It hosed up both the Bears and Lovie.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kalli posted:

Also the Patriots and to a much lesser extent Bengals are being ridiculous about what they expect for their backup QB's. Because money for these guys isn't the problem, but trading away valuable picks is.

Why should the Patriots play ball with the rest of the league though? If the QB situation is that dire and if you really do believe in Garoppolo, then you have an inherent competitive advantage by hoarding quarterbacks unless someone offers a pound of flesh.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kalli posted:

Darrelle Revis, Peyton Manning, Aqib Talib, DeMarcus Ware, Charles Woodson, Anquan Boldin, and a whole bunch of B-tier guys.

Wood was considered washed up when the Packers picked him up.

sean10mm posted:

He might mean "free agency player" in the sense of teams that are big players in free agency?

Otherwise, yeah, there have been a bunch of individual players who were big-name free agents that got rings on their new teams.

Denver comes to mind.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sixteen million dollars for a receiver who can barely scrape together a 1000 yard season?

Like put the cap hit (which is significantly lower) aside for a minute and look at the above sentence.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sean10mm posted:

Also bad teams usually have a ton of cap space, so it's not as bad as it sounds. Especially if you have some foresight so you aren't still paying them when you're hopefully trying to retain guys you drafted when their rookie deals run out.

It ends up distorting the market, though. You think someone like OBJ is going to accept being paid only slightly more than Garcon when his contract is up next season?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Redskins got two franchise quarterbacks in the same draft and proceeded to immediately waste both of them

A pox upon that franchise and Dan Snyder

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I know I've been arguing for the Packers to do this (check my first post in this thread) but now that it seems likely, I'm now worried about the contract :v:

The Matthews and Cobb contracts haven't been really played up to, and the Packers will need to pay Rodgers even more money soon. I really hope Perry isn't an one season wonder.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/839868862707478531

Tretter can play any position in the center, he'll be a solid pickup.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kalli posted:

I just don't understand how you end up going from Cutler to that contract.

Same ol' Jay Mike.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/839651510782988288

Looks like Hyde wants starter money, but the Packers want to keep on playing him as a flex guy who can play any position in the secondary and return kicks. Ted is a cheap bastard.

I have strong concerns about how Hyde would perform in a different defensive scheme, but he's shown enough talent and nerve that he should be fine anywhere that's willing to pay him starter money.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

The Perry deal makes him the 7th highest paid olb and it's a very good deal

I'm still worried about his consistency. The Packers got kind of burnt by the Matthews/Cobb contracts, and Perry has an injury history too.

edit: cap hits:

2017: $6 M
2018: $10.9 M
2019: $14.7 M
2020: $14.3 M
2021: $14.1 M

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Not surprising, he signed a contract then got injured for two seasons straight.

Reclamation project, Ted!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Moneyball

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I doubt Brock feels too bad about not having to be beat up to get paid dozens of millions of dollars, guys.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Full trade:

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/839939031186178048

Texans get an extra 4th rounder for this draft.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wonder if Houston tries for Cousins now?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ted Thompson just came

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wonder if Osweiler bothers trying to find a new job in the NFL or just retires quietly with his millions

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Also how colossally stupid do you have to be to look at the Osweiler debacle and then give Mike Glennon this much money?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

zimbomonkey posted:

I didn't know that contract dump trades were even legal in the NFL. Although I suppose after this year they probably won't be.

Why wouldn't they be, and how would you enforce this?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah people rag on the Browns but they are really good at trades.

It's the rest they lack.

Remember when the Browns fleeced the Colts out of a first round pick for Richardson?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

All trades have to be approved by the NFL, right?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Why do the Saints want to offload Cooks anyway?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hyde can play any position in the secondary and can play well on special teams too. Should be okay for the Bills, especially if they can develop him further and turn him into a starter.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fat Lowtax posted:

Please let there be another negative value Brock Osweiler trade

Who would even be a candidate for that? Osweiler had the single worst contract in the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Volkerball posted:

he made off like a bandit financially. he's got a matt flynn pay to performance ratio.

Matt Flynn actually won games and looked good doing so

• Locked thread