Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ehud posted:

I'm not sure this is how age works!

There's good reason to think that decline is a combination of age *and* wear and not just age. I mean poo poo, of all people you should be able to appreciate what a 32 year-old RB can do if he's spent the last few years just smoking weed and chilling instead of getting drilled a couple hundred times a week in practice/games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Praise the lord

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/849278113502703616

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
You guys are thinking of the wrong Matt. I've always wondered why no one tried to offer the Dolphins even a late-round pick for Matt Moore after he showed that he could be an average starter.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
lol gently caress how bad was the Texans offer

https://twitter.com/toddarcher/status/849355127702126594

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sataere posted:

Houston is restricted by the salary cap. CBS is not.

yeah but CBS isn't offering Romo $15M a year to do booth commentary or anything

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sataere posted:

Those guys make pretty good money though. Is there somewhere that shows what top tier play by play and color guys make.

Yeah but it's like "Very comfortable to average joes" money and not "You won't miss football at all" Money. It's hard to nail down what they make exactly (though I've seen some reports that suggest that the highest-paid sports casters make upwards of $5m/year), but I did find that Simms' net worth is about $14M and I'd wager that most of that came from non-TV revenue (endorsements, speaking gigs, etc.) In contrast, that's less than what Romo made last year.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
So did Lynch just really loving hate Seattle or something? I'm surprised he's actually close to coming back and I feel like I missed something in why he retired when the team was clearly still a perennial contender

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

If he comes out of retirement, yes, seattle owns his contract. But if there's goodwill, they might be happy to let him go or whatever.

It probably won't matter. If he comes out of retirement, his 2017 cap hit for Seattle will immediately become real -- $9M in 2017 (and $10M in 2018). OTC currently has them with $9.7M in cap space, which would leave them unable to make moves or sign their draft picks, so they'd be forced to cut him or trade him.

e: Or make room, I guess. But that's a bad idea to make bad cap decisions to keep a guy who doesn't want to play for you

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
No but really, if Lynch comes out of retirement, the Seahawks will have to cut him

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Blitz7x posted:

Hot take incoming, retiring jerseys is a poo poo tradition

agreed

it's for teams that only had like, 1 or 2 really great players

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

Doing some googling, it looks like Frank Gore had the best-selling Niners jersey in 2011, and he was in the top 25 best selling jerseys in the NFL in 2013.

On the other hand, his #23 Colts jerseys are Currently on sale.

Also today I learned the normal retail price for an NFL jersey is a hundred dollars

Never buy the Nike replica jerseys. They are just total rear end. They don't breathe well and their shoulder stitching causes the chest to pinch and lift when you lift your arms.

Reebok's jerseys were a hundred times better

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chichevache posted:

If you want a Brett Favre comeback just ask your mom to spit.

runner up for post of the year behind "Hernandez died doing what he loved"

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

Pick any QB that will be drafted in this year's draft and you have a player who is possibly capable of playing in an complex, modern NFL offense. Both Kaep and Garoppolo have actually played in games, but Kaep has way more experience, has proven he can actually win football games, and has done so on a team less stacked than Garoppolo.

So they're both basically solid backup QBs for any NFL team, but as a backup, Kaep would be a far better option - just due to his experience - than Garoppolo.

From a "win now" standpoint, sure--Kaep may get you more immediate wins. But you know what you're getting with him and it's very unlikely he'll improve at this point--you're gonna get the same guy who struggles making his second read, lacks touch on his throws, depends too much on his physical gifts, etc. On the flip side, Garoppolo is younger, has more potential (though some of this is by virtue of being less of a known quantity), and likely the better option to try building a franchise around. If you're getting Garoppolo, you're not trying to slot him in as a backup, you're betting on him as the future of the franchise.

I'm not sure how well your argument about stacked teams holds up--the 49ers were absolutely loaded with talent during Kaep's best years under Harbaugh, possibly moreso than the Patriots were last year.

also "Kaep has shown he can actually win football games" isn't a strong argument

e: That said, no one should give up a bunch of picks for Garoppolo. Like a 2nd rounder at best

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The thing that never comes up in these trade talks is that you wouldn't be trading for the quarterback of the future, you'd be trading for a one year test run. Yeah that gives you a good idea of what you're paying for after Garrapolo's one year lease is up but if he's great there is nothing stopping him from going wherever he pleases immediately after that year is up. You might be giving up multiple high draft picks for one year of production.

A team could trade for him and then sign him to a long-term deal before the season begins. It happens often enough

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kalli posted:

You don't think Trubisky or Watson will be gone before pick 12? That's pretty far out there.

Yeah I don't think it's the same thing to say "better than every option" and "better than the options likely to be available at pick #12"

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I don't see a QB going before #12 unless the Jets really Jets it up, tbh

I mean it's possible but I suspect we'll see some teams trade up because of the perceived value of the QB position and because everybody thinks they'll need to

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Flikken posted:

Like I'd be ok with a Jimmy G trade offering #52 a 4th this year and our 2nd next year being a conditional 1st if Jimmy G starts a post season game in Cleveland.

This would also be a fine trade. I'd look at signing him immediately to a long-term contract that has a series of roster bonuses if he's on the roster after the first day of the league year in 2018 and then the contract jumps up after that to act as play incentives.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

BlindSite posted:

Get out if here with your sensible solutions.

Putting aside that Cutler may not want to play at all, I'm not sure how sensible it is to believe that Kaepernick is willing to be a backup to Jay Cutler in Cleveland. He'd have to want to be on a team real loving bad to take that deal

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah. I honestly don't know if Kaep is aware yet that his career in football may be over. I suspect it isn't, and that the objections various teams have will collapse at least by the end of the preseason when there have been the inevitable injuries, washouts, and personnel problems and a half-dozen teams are looking at their actual practical options. But... I'm not sure how deep the obstinacy goes in that regard, and I don't know how bullheaded Kaep is gonna be about accepting a backup spot either.

He played backup for half of last season and ultimately won the starting spot so maybe he's willing to take that approach again. Maybe his agent will convince him that at this point he has to take any offer. :shrug:

True, but "becoming the backup in San Francisco while you are injured on a modified version of your existing deal" is a lot more attractive than "moving to Cleveland to become a backup to a guy seen as a questionable starter on the Browns"

I suspect Kap will sign somewhere after the draft. I'm sure there's some obstinancy on his part regarding pay, but I feel like as much or more of it has to be just being tired of the NFL's bullshit at this point.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe he can play baseball. He was a baseball player first, right?

He played for 2 years in college and was drafted by the Cubs in 2009, so he could theoretically play baseball. But lol if you think Baseball teams are going to be less lovely than Football teams

e: 2009, not 2006

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ragnarok the Red posted:

If Mahomes is still sitting there toward the bottom of the first and the Cowboys don't see a defensive player available they rank much higher than guys with a 2nd or 3rd round grade, they might do what Seattle did last year and trade down for a 2nd & 3rd or 4th just for sheer volume of defensive spots to fill.

Maybe but I think there's almost no way the Cowboys don't draft a DB at 28.

Kalli posted:

Trade is Lynch + 2018 6th for 2018 5th

Lynch's contract is :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/857313275104591877

That is a lot of money to pay for a Marshawn Lynch in current condition

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

sean10mm posted:

I've got this in the bag.

and stop talking about the Lynch contract? That's nuts

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SKULL.GIF posted:

Andrew Luck is the new Jay Cutler where everyone scrambles to explain and excuse him.

I don't know how anyone looks at the talent on the Colts and says "yeah, this is a stacked team that anyone could succeed on"

And it's not like it was amazing in Manning's latter years, either. That team has made garbage moves and bad drafts since like, 2005

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

I'm now seriously trying to figure out whether the Bears or the Texans are dumber this offseason

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

swickles posted:

His "dont give a poo poo" attitude should provide some entertainment, especially with guys he has worked with. Cutler has little filter on his opinions of people, and its refresing to hear someone say "gently caress that guy, he sucks" instead of standard team speak.

I think people are underestimating how awkward and bad that would be

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
lol if you're so bad at your job that you have to 'hold information back' to protect yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Diva Cupcake posted:

never stay at a job 11 years you'll wind up being grossly underpaid hth

Also, this

Leperflesh posted:

If only you know how to do certain things, your employer will willfully ignore that fact when firing you, and then deal with the consequences later. Instead of regretting firing you, they'll be angry with that rear end in a top hat they fired for doing all this custom poo poo and not documenting it or telling anyone.

• Locked thread