Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fsif
Jul 18, 2003

For those keeping score, Ian Rappoport said today on the NFL Network that it's looking more likely than not that the Bills keep Tyrod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

sean10mm posted:

Other than Buffalo's own front office for a while there, who thought there was a reasonable alternative to keeping Tyrod?

There's a legion of dumb Bills fans that want to give Cardale Jones a chance or draft someone new. The thought is that if you're not playing a quarterback with a top 5 ceiling, it's all a waste of time.

From what I gather, the front office wants a veteran stopgap while they groomed either Cardale or a new QB from this year's draft class, but Tyrod's contract is only a few million more a year than even Nick Foles would command anyway. Tyrod's *floor* is a veteran stopgap.

e: Looked at Tyrod's contract again and realized I undersold it. The dead money hit would be pretty huge until 2020; no way Foles gets a contract like that.

But still! It's pretty low for a starting quarterback and I think he's pretty clearly worth it.

fsif fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 21, 2017

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Hot Diggity! posted:

I can't believe the Packers would do this

I can't believe the NOFX would do this.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Kalli posted:

13) Barkevious Mingo, LB, 26. ST guy, no good as even a sub on D. Will probably make a living for a few more years ruining his body doing that, then be done.

Never has the name metric had such a poor showing post-draft.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Three teams. If this happens, Cutler will have thrown to Marshall on THREE DIFFERENT TEAMS.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Intruder posted:

List of free agent QBs/trade targets I'd take over Brock

- all of them

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Sataere posted:

I don't understand why Cutler is viewed from a different lense than his peers.

It's because he's a dick.

I agree with your larger point, though. He'll probably end up making whatever team he ends up on way better.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

weird Asian candy posted:

I dunno about way better. Hasn't he been to the playoffs like once in his career? Clearly Jay needs to go to Cleveland.

He's a lot better than the QBs his likely suitors trotted out last season (with the possible exception of my idiot team).

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Kalli posted:

Okung is the guy I use when explaining to people why you don't sign with a contender for no money to win a championship.

Or negotiate your own contract.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Tony Romo wants to spend the last few years of his career in a division with the Patriots?

This is going to be a long offseason.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

Jets QB will be Tyrod Taylor.

AFCencest is the best.

This would ruin me.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

There's something really tidy and satisfying about the valuation of a position group being set because its best player just got the largest contract.

It's a lot like what happened in 2013 with quarterbacks.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

kiimo posted:

Charles is destined for the Pats.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

rip in piss Revis

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

where will revis play safety next year?

I wouldn't be shocked if he just retired. Hard for me to imagine Revis playing on a cheap deal.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Amy Pole Her posted:

Sadly a smart move. You have to love Tyrod for another season at least. Dude was given crap last year at the HC position.

Yes, and hopefully he'll be throwing to receivers more talented than Brandon Tate next year, too. Holding off on my celebratory shots until I get the confirmation from a source I've heard of.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Btw would legit take Byrd back on a cheapish deal.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Rob Ryan is maybe full of poo poo, but he said after his termination that Payton forced him into a Seahawks style defense where Byrd holds the middle of the field. It didn't exactly play to his strengths.

Byrd's already 30 and been hurt a bunch so he might be toast, but I'd freaking love the Bills to kick the tires on him. His dad's on the coaching staff, too!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

With Kaepernic opting out of his contract do you reckon any team will be desperate enough to pick him up.

He's good enough that he SHOULD be picked up, but I'm not sure that anyone will.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Titans re-sign QB Matt Cassel to an extended deal today.

I don't believe Matt Cassel should be rosterable at this point.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Brb just going to go barf

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/837355041157701632

e: unless they mean as a backup I guess.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diqnol posted:

Mariota gets hurt because of his small frame maybe? Love or hate him Cassel is better than most backups.

He's not, though. I earnestly believe he's as good as like, Cardale Jones. Just draft a rookie late in the draft if you're satisfied with Cassel-level play as a backup.

Rahzmataz posted:

What's the general opinion of Bills fans around Tyrod? I find it hard to keep up with the whims of other fanbases lately.

It was pretty split at the end of the season for some reason, but I think after really letting things settle for a few months, most of the fanbase now wants him back. Still some people who legitimately believe there's no reason to pay a quarterback unless they are likely to be top 5.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Okay, I'm an rear end in a top hat and wanted to see if I could name 64 quarterbacks that are legitimately better than Matt Cassel.

Obviously better 27 names
Tom Brady, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Tannehill, Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Marcus Mariota, Andrew Luck, Alex Smith, Derrick Carr, Trevor Siemian, Philip Rivers, Dak Prescott, Tony Romo, Eli Manning, Kirk Cousins, Carson Wentz, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford, Sam Bradford, Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, Carson Palmer, Colin Kaepernick

Still pretty obviously better 11 names (38)
Brian Hoyer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mark Sanchez, Jimmy Garappolo, Josh McCown, Chad Henne, Matt Moore, AJ McCarron, Nick Foles, Derek Anderson, Charlie Whitehurst

Probably better and more upside 12 names (50)
Mike Glennon, Cody Kessler, Matt Barkley, Blake Bortles, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Terrelle Pryor, Tom Savage, Paxton Lynch, Cardale Jones, Bryce Petty, Chase Daniel

Probably better 8 names (58)
Luke McCown, Case Keenum, Thad Lewis, Matt McGloin, Shaun Hill, Drew Stanton, Colt McCoy, T.J. Yates

Not sure if they're actually better, but I'd still rather have them as a backup 3 names (61)
Jacoby Brissett, Trevone Boykin, Joe Webb

Teddy Bridgewater? 1 name (62)
Teddy Bridgewater

About Matt Cassel Tier
Blaine Gabbert, Brandon Weeden, Bruce Gradowski, Ryan Mallett, Kellen Clemens, Scott Tolzien, Landry Jones, Dan Orlovsky, Josh Johnson

So, I guess there's a case for top 64, but there are so many cheaper options out there that are at least as good!

(Also, of course, I'm sure I missed promising third stringers on teams I don't follow, who I would likely also prefer over Matt Cassel.)

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

ulmont posted:

Drew Brees just got pissed off and he doesn't know why.

Oops, add another number to that list!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ahahaha, what? Is this just the Bucs' FO leaking some bullshit to try and do Mike a solid before he hits free agency?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Nooooo the Cutler/Marshall III dream is dead

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

These are all expected releases. The next one will be Marcus Gilchrist and Jets should have like $45-50m in space.

Sorry, still going to post LOL JETS when it happens.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Poor guy probably thought he was being insanely woke.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'd sooner retire than go to Buffalo if I were Kap.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If the Bills are dumb enough to cut Tyrod, Kaep would probably be in my top 3 of alternative options.

(The alternative options are really bad.)

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Tyrod Taylor is a franchise QB.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

How do you want to define that?

That with an average team around him, he's good enough to get you in the playoff mix, and that with a good team around him, he's good enough to win a Super Bowl.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

LaCanfora so take it for what it's worth, but apparently the Tyrod decision is STILL coming down to a difference in opinion between the front office and the coaching staff.

My guess is that the Pegulas are dumb as poo poo and really want a “pocket passer”.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

They have to decide whether to exercise his option or not by March 11, 4pm EST. I'm sure this deadline has been explained to him and his agent and he's fully aware that they may wait till the last hour to decide.

Doesn't mean it's not frustrating.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Laffo, what is this, the freaking NBA??

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Imagine Mike Glennon actually becomes like a top 15 quarterback or something. Even if your team hasn't had a serviceable QB in a decade, could you really get it up for this?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Bills cut some players, saved $6 million against the cap.

The only ones of any particular note are Nickell Robey-Coleman (surprising cut, he's a solid slot CB) and Dan Carpenter (bad again).

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

You'd think Whaley would have learned from last year's Chris Hogan debacle, but welp, see you Mike.

https://twitter.com/mlombardiNFL/status/839122799629238272

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Cavauro posted:

How much usually gets out during the tampering period? It's prohibited to announce a deal in place or to visit another team. Do tons of fake deals get reported that are only out there for leverage?

If I remember correctly, it seemed like most of the big moves were pretty well settled during the tampering period.

I don't really understand the purpose of the tampering period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I thought Fluker was supposed to be sort of good, or am I mixing him up with Lane Johnson or something?

What an insane loving whiff from the NFL scouting/draftnik community calling that a strong OL draft class.

• Locked thread