Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not gonna read anything in this thread because this game is so loving cool and I don't want to be spoiled until after I've played through it at least once, but this is SUCH a good representation of boring suburbia smalltown life and is executed amazingly so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does Mae talk about the same sort of thing if you do all the Gregg hangouts as if you do all the Bea hangouts? I need to do a second run through the game, but the first was kinda emotionally impactful and I need some time to scab over.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Opposing Farce posted:

I think the thing about Bea's events is because that relationship is kind of more complicated and contentious and Mae and Bea have these big interpersonal issues that the events never really quite resolve, Bea's route works noticeably better for the ending. Like, all of Gregg's events are great, and all together they tell a really nice, sweet story, but "Legends" ties that story up pretty neatly so it kind of becomes separated from the main plotline of the game. "Proximity," on the other hand, really doesn't resolve Mae and Bea's relationship, at least not completely--they talk things out and come to an understanding about their friendship and where they stand with each other, but part of that is Mae and Bea recognizing that they do have all of this baggage and it's not something they can just get rid of with one heartfelt conversation. And since Bea's last event leaves stuff unresolved, it creates this kind of thing where "Proximity" isn't really the culmination of their relationship the way "Legends" is for Mae's friendship with Gregg. Instead, the culmination of Mae and Bea's friendship is the actual climax of the game, because that's when Mae opens up about the biggest thing that's been driving all this resentment, and it's when Bea proves their uneasy, imperfect friendship is strong enough to keep them together even in the worst of times. It's not just proximity, it's not just two people who don't really like each other stuck together because they have no better options, and even if it was it wouldn't matter because at the end of everything you have to hold on to anything. In spite of everything else, Bea is in Mae's corner when she needs it most, and considering what the game is about that means everything.

The Gregg version of the ending is great because Gregg is great and Mae is great and the story itself is compelling, but I think the emotional arc of Bea's story connects more strongly to the emotional and thematic arc of the main plot, and it really makes the entire game come together beautifully.

So, what you're saying is BeaBea + Maedae 4eva.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Just finished. It's probably already been discussed to death online, but I love how this game encourages you to do things for emotional rewards, rather than xp points or new equipment, or even to move the plot along -- I watched TV with dad because I wanted to watch TV with dad and it didn't really matter what came out of it.

The thing I wanted the most was for Mae's mom to give her a hug and she never did. :negative:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

eatenmyeyes posted:

I assumed she did after Jenny's Field but you may have missed that part.

No, I got that scene. The thing is, there's no on-camera hug. There's no "press interact to hug Mom" prompt. There's nothing like that and that's all that i wanted in this game.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I want this on a t-shirt real bad, right now.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

Reading every line in wacky voices is going to sink that one quick.

Not only do they always do that, but when they played Undertale, they also spent every scene with Sans mimicking the sound of his dialogue noise. They're really loving bad about this kind of thing. I really should unfollow them on YouTube.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there any highly recommended versions of the other three songs, or is Die Anywhere Else the one everyone covers?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Otamatones are my favorite irritating toy-instrument-thing. I fuckin' love those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

I'm sure this has been posted before, but want to read commentary on NitW from a liberal who probably thinks that the poor family in Parasite were the villains? 'Cause here's a Galaxy brain of a take.

I think she was a little too close to the material to be able to have an objective take on it. Also, knowing how incredibly leftist Scott Benson is, this just reminds me of how good the leftist world is at being its own worst enemy and deciding that the one that needs destroying is the closest ally at hand.

Like, I think BootlegGirl's big problem is that the game doesn't show gender and orientation based bigotry, but I think Scott felt he wasn't the best person to show that?