Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I understand she's dealing with a lot right now but cripes his sister could just say 'the allegations are correct' instead of 'he ~caused harm~'. the wording of this statements just feels like shes doing apologia for his actions. which, i get why, obviously, but jeez.

I don't think his actions deserve a literal death penalty and mental illness is a complex topic in terms of what it can make you do and how you cope with it, but I'm more upset for the people who have to deal with this than for the loss of him.

bad day posted:

What did she accuse him of exactly? I read the post and she talks about being raped but not by him. By someone else, who she has forgiven, and she calls this guy out for mostly being mean and a very bad boyfriend. It’s all vaguely worded to constitute “abuse” but no specifics that could be interpreted as rape other than the “leading me around the house” comment.

So what’s the justification for throwing this guy under the bus like he’s Bill Cosby? I’m not defending anyone I just don’t get why this was such a huge deal. People in relationships are awful to each other; that’s why they break up.
hot take but if you are literally forcing a woman to have sex with you via blackmailing them with money that they need to go home then that's rape. you might not physically force them to have sex with you, but that's still rape. being a bad boyfriend would be losing the money or spending it all on weed or something. being a rapist is intentionally withholding the money in order to have sexual and physical control over them.

also, you know, the part where he forcibly sexually violated her. he didnt whip out his dick but if that's your qualification to be a rapist then what do you think happens in cases of one woman assaulting another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bad day posted:

And this constitutes imprisonment? I don’t doubt from her own perception she was trapped in his house and unable to leave but nobody seems to have actually imprisoned her. And she doesn’t say she was imprisoned. Nothing she talks about in the tweet seems to be a valid criminal complaint. Saying cruel things to someone might constitute “mental abuse” in 2019 but it’s not illegal. Fingering your girlfriend is assault if she says no, but she just kind of throws that out there as an aside with no explanation.

I understand the post is cleverly written in such a way that people will imagine the worst without technically stating what happened. So people are going to assume the worst. But publicly litigating non-crimes from your interpersonal relationships on Twitter is a bad thing to do, if only because the person you are encouraging total strangers to send death threats to might actually kill themselves.
youre gonna get banned so im just gonna say before you go: please never, ever date, or have children.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mystic Stylez posted:

I understand she's dealing with a lot right now so let me nitpick the wording of a post from someone who is going through hell right as she writes it
I mean dude I'm not being 'nitpicky,' the difference between explicitly believing the accusations (which the nitw devs have) and implicitly believing them is pretty massive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

repiv posted:

Zoe is also wisely taking a time out

https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch
id honestly just not get back on twitter if i were her. like i cant tell her how to live her life but it just cant be worth it whatsoever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think this is going to lead to some kind of resurgent gamergate. It'll just be another thing the same people throw around. Like other people have said, it never left.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TexMexFoodbaby posted:

loving Gamergate. It's happening again. Gaters are so sheltered and ignorant of the real world that my newly minted love slot (ED: read Artficial Vaginas and What to Expect When You Cut Your Literal Dick Off) is currently fusing to the leather of my computer chair out of protest. They're a living stain on humanity engaging in political discourse or any discourse will inevitably lead to you agreeing with them not because they're right, but because you want them to shut the gently caress up. You're bullied into silence via the harassment, the twitter brigades, and the loving trannies (ED: remove this before posting) incels just don't have the good grace to die off and make the world a better place(tm). So this has ceased being a thread about a video game. It's now about violence being perpetrated against people. Your fellow men. Your brothers in arms. This is a call to arms. Give 'em hell for me everyone. I'm not strong enough to continue the good fight.

~*MOD EDIT*~: Hello! This post will now be edited with the correct information regarding the cuckoldry that you drink down. all of the something awful mods are human being no job losers who have to lord what little power they have in their lives over a dead irrelevant internet forum. loving Lowtax is embarrassed by this place and resents the fact that he's forced to post on loving facebook of all things because he'd be run off his own forum. The only reason he had to squeeze money from you figurative niggers is that new users have fallen off because nobody wants to join a lovely forum that polices language for 10 dollars. Resetera has more pull than this place and it's literally run by pedophiles.

I was gonna wait before posting this, but you fuckers just had to present your assholes for Zoe to stick her 12 inch heels into. May you become dust in the wind you loving looney troons.

what

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I did not find her criticisms of the game very compelling. I understand she would rather have the town in the game represented in a different light, but that might not focus the game narrative as the designers wanted too. It is pretty far from being "Trumpian Propaganda".

There's a subset of twitter leftists who seem to think that portraying people from a broke rural town as human is 'trumpian propaganda.' its classist as poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Carpator Diei posted:

Yup. In a lot of instances, both positions in that debate seem to be based in the tacit assumption that everyone living in rural areas is a backwoods conservative who of course only voted for the fascists out of economic anxiety, and the dispute is only about whether that 'of course' is to be taken literally or ironically. There's still so little in terms of serious attempts to lay the groundwork for a different sort of rural community-building, and so much resigned acceptance that the people Fallom described are just unchangeably "the voters" who need to be "appealed to".

Fallom posted:

Yeah that’s great but given that they’re actively voting to reject the personhood of my friends, for healthcare policies that are killing my family, and for laws that would have literally imprisoned or executed my wife over a medical need I feel fairly comfortable in not caring much for the plight of the rural voter. Let Democratic leadership figure out how they want to thread the needle of gaining their votes without adopting a monstrous platform.

Night in the Woods was being fairly generous by not placing a confederate flag on every other home in the block

Trump did better among rich people than poorer ones, and better in the suburbs than in rural areas. Of course, there's more poor people than rich ones, but poor people are the least likely to vote, so that balances out. And surburbs being more white than rural areas probably has more to do with the second thing, but, well, that's the thing. Rural areas aren't just chortling evil white guys. There's more black people in those areas than in a lot of major cities.

The mob of trump voters in rural areas you're imagining are a myth. Obviously people in rural areas voted for trump, it's not like Hillary won those areas, but they wouldn't have mattered if other well-off, mostly white areas hadn't voted for him, too. The richest county in Florida, with the highest percentage of college graduates, broke 61/35 for Trump, which is more than several poor areas in Florida broke for Trump. The county, Collier, is famous for having a lot of rich white people move to it.

Trump didn't win Virginia, but speaking as someone who lives there, the places that broke the hardest for Trump were the rich areas near the coast.

Why are people constantly spinning their wheels about poor white people and not rich white people? The answer is we hate the poor more. The only reason people aren't flying confederate flags from their mansions is that they don't want to be associated with the poors who also do that.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 1, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I assure you there are plenty of people who do spin their wheels solely about broke white people and not rich ones.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

posting some guy with 13 followers being a dumbass is not helpful to anyone. who gives a poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheNamedSavior posted:

I forgot that the hundreds of brown people who are being murdered simply because they walked over a border without a piece of paper are less important than steamrolling over nature for a couple of hillbillies who think that black people are savages and that we should still own slaves.

Poor people are fine, but poor people who see an rich white man who is going to gently caress them over AGAIN and think that he's going to save their asses because they believe anything as long as it's on fox news and then blame the non-white people for it when they DO end up getting are just as bad as the rich who deserve an guillotine.

They are no different than the people who assumed that Jewish people were the reason why the economy was bad in 1930's germany.
being poor literally destroys your brain, it is longform torture that permanently destroys the capacities of people who are subjected to it. i cant blame people for that situation for being pliable to conspiracy theories. what the gently caress else do they have. it doesn't absolve them of anything but they aren't 'as bad' as the people pushing those things onto them, or the ones that keep them poor.

and fyi the rich white woman or the rich black man will gently caress you over just as hard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iafeth posted:

Yes, let's just assume that one particular group of people has low IQ. I sure, it will go well.

Is it some kind of 4-dimensional sarcasm?
No, I don't mean 'low IQ,' i mean it gives you trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Actually, there have been scientific studies that show potentially that growing up in severe poverty can affect brain development. Most likely as a result of malnutrition, substandard sanitation, etc.

Plus the early childhood trauma that comes as both a direct consequence (uncertainty over whether or not you'll get to eat, where you'll live, what you'll wear) and indirect consequence (seeing your parents stressed/arguing, not being able to enjoy the same things your peers do)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iafeth posted:

Just replace "poor" with "black" and your posts will perfectly fit somewhere on 4chan or other racist shithole.

P.s. Sorry for crude humor. I am poor as gently caress and got triggered.

edit: I am also an idiot.

i am also poor, the trauma i am referring to is something i deeply feel daily.

Steve2911 posted:

So is this game any good?
its a bit mealymouthed in bits but it has some cool lines, its mostly just an exploration/light adventure game tho i wouldnt really buy it for gameplay or anything

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheNamedSavior posted:

Racism isn't a mental illness. Racism is hatred. It should be pointed out that adolf hitler grew up poor. But nobody morally wise will say that his crimes only occurred because of "mental illness" because it was that awful rear end in a top hat's OWN consistent decisions to try killing every Jewish person in Germany. poo poo like this inherently dehumanizes mentally ill people and cowardly absolves racists of their crimes.
I literally said the words 'it doesn't absolve them of anything' but go off.

Kazy posted:

If it's any consolation, most of the people being lovely on twitter are like this:

Yeah. Obviously there's a few people with some Clout spreading stupidity, but seriously, this poo poo doesn't matter. Correct people who you come across and who seem vaguely reachable but don't get wound up over every 5 follower idiot who calls Quinn an SJW. Who gives a poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imagine all the people whose dreams he turned into nightmares and who are still bearing the scars of his actions who won't get giant posts eulogizing what they could have been.

And there's literally no statement of what she wants anyone to have done. A victim of her brother felt that he was still a threat to other people and decided to warn people away from him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the two sides in this discussion were a victim outing a rapist and a bunch of people who thought she should die for doing that, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fuschia tude posted:

Yeah I know he talked vaguely about severe health problems finishing the last game as well. It's interesting he says it's probably viral in origin, I don't think I've heard that outside of COVID
there's a few other viruses or groups of viruses that can cause severe permanent damage to the heart, or even target it directly (unlike covid, which is mostly targeting the lungs)