Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
It's a very weird but good game. I enjoy it very much. I am at the epilogue now, and already I know I've missed tons of stuff...

I do wish that there was a more obvious reason about some places opening up and being accessible to May, because going around all over the town (and up the roofs) to find what (old or new) interactive points have new comments/content available is probably the most frustrating part of the gameplay for me. And that not only goes for new comments/conversations, but also doors being open or closed-off randomly (this happens up until and including the epilogue).

I thought that I could go to the cave under the bridge, that Germ showed us how to find... I thought it was a clever way to hide it (I never thought to jump downwards from the bridge) -- and even if it should be inaccessible before doing that with Germ, it would be nice to make it accessible afterwards).

I also wish I could go back to the campus site with Angus once I freed more scout messages, but nope, no option for that either....

It could work better if they let May hang around with her friends without ending the day right after most of those segments, so that you wouldn't miss out on other interactions within that day, and also allow you to do that across multiple days until you were ready to proceed with the more serious story stuff... Sort of like how most open world games work (or how the classic QFTG games -- especially the first one -- worked)

I did like the writing in this, the humor and the more serious parts, but when it got very deep/ philosophical or when certain characters struggled to give explanations, I was kind of lost. There were some spelling errors (some were deliberate, but some were apparently missed by QA testing) and then there was the particular way the characters spoke, and all those made certain (especially long) sentences hard to read and make sense (I am also not a native English speaker, so that factors in too) ... I guess some dialogue was also intentionally abstract, left incomplete or was supposed to make little sense. But I am left with the feeling that I didn't really understand certain characters' motivations or explanations for their actions.

I will say that though. I too had much of the stuff in the game hit very close to home. I didn't drop out of college, but someone very close to me did, because they couldn't handle it, and it was a very trying time for them and they needed all the support we could give them. But, additionally, for me simply coming home for the holidays after spending just a year away from my home-town and old friends who stayed back was not at all what I'd expected. Mostly, people being randomly unfriendly and taking a while to warm up / become friendly again, stuff changing way too drastically in their lives within the span of that year... Stuff like that.

Also sort of like May, I did have a very scary mental breakdown --not at college, but while studying for college-- which still haunts me to this day and affects my interactions with pretty much everyone in my life. So there was that too....Shapes

eatenmyeyes posted:

EDIT:

If your preferred language is German or Dutch, I might know enough to explain some of the dialog.
I'm Greek, and my German is worse than my English, but thank you for the offer!

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I know that they had to cut the animated mini-shorts to focus on finishing and delivering the core game. These were different than the two mini-games that preceded the main game.

I think we only got the Spring (part 1) "Gregg and Angus" short.

They did mention on an update that Scott will be able to finish this post-release and make them more substantial, so maybe they are coming as extra (free?) DLC?
The original plan was that there would be 4 of those in total, that would eventually be edited together into a teaser short that would have been released publicly before the game's official release; this would tell the story of an important past event (a few years before the game proper starts).
I think this probably refers to Mae attacking that kid?

But, I also see that there was supposed to be a "A super-secret prologue to Night In The Woods" supplemental-game for backers of a higher tier* (100$+) than mine. Was that done and did anyone get to play that?

*: huh, I either failed to notice this backer exclusive playable content, or maybe they said it would be timed-exclusive(?), because I backed the game anyway. It's more likely that I was very impressed by their trailer and was very interested to see the game implemented, that I overlooked that. Because I won't typically back projects that go for this short of thing.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 10, 2017

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

exquisite tea posted:

I finished the game, and I think it was a good experience that I'll probably never want to revisit again. I felt like it dragged in places, and manuevering around the town to check on everybody became a little tedious after awhile

This is a problem for me also. I have seen hints that there is more to the story for some characters and more stuff to explore and do if you follow different paths, but it doesn't feel fun to replay through the tedious stuff for a second time (and then maybe a third to find more stuff that were missed/ or I was locked out of).

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
There was supposed to be a backer reward for four (I think) official animated shorts (about 1 minute each) that would tell a prequel story to the one in the game. Those were to be released before the main game. First to the backers, then edited together publicly.

Only one came out before game's release; it was ok. I don't think it had voice acting, just music. It was mostly about Gregg and Angus, but iirc and in hindsight it sort of indicated that the events would be about Mae's "incident".

I think post-game release, they said that Benson was still working on them, but that was quite a while ago. The team is still providing semi-regular updates but they don't seem to mention those anymore.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Larryb posted:

Is the one they did release still available anywhere? This is the first I've heard of these.

It is still available but you have to be a backer to view it. It's called "Night in the Woods: Spring (Part 1)" and hosted on Vimeo but they used some kind of embed code that only allows you to view it if you are reading the Kickstarter Update.
Their exact instructions in said backers-only update (Sep 9 2014) are:

quote:

you need to be on the actual kickstarter update page to view this video

They went in such trouble to keep in unlisted/ private only to backers so I don't feel ok sharing it, if the shorts aren't officially canceled.

Actually Scott just issued a short backers-only update today (Oct 4), which basically promises a full official update later in the month with "couple of things to show us". So here's hoping it's about the shorts.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

In that kickstarter update they also mention the animated shorts again. The new plan is to have each of the remaining three done by a different animator -- but they will still be parts of the same story. No ETA, but it is heavily implied that future Kickstarter updates will contain more info about those.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I think this is the best and most well written (and also not rushed) thing I've read about this whole sorry series of events so far, so thanks for the link.

I love NITW, its soundtrack, its world and characters. It's not all Alex's work of course but a significant part is, and that won't change for me. I also loved Aquaria and its soundtrack. I don't think I've played any other of his games or listened to other stuff he composed. But what I experienced is beautiful work that I'll still listen, guilt free.

I also don't like whatever is happening with twitter (mostly), snap judgments, dismissive terms for groups of people (which unfortunately I've first read in this forum, but I guess that's the forum I read the most, so it was inevitable), extreme polarization of opinions, resulting abusive mobs and harassment campaigns --and I guess that's where modern politics is heading in some parts of the world? Thankfully in my country this is not adopted (not at a scale enough to be brought up, and not as part of politics) so perhaps when it inevitably hits us, a lot of conditions will be mature enough for us to handle it better.

At least without adhering to extreme absolutes and devolving to "discussions" where people are telling each other to go gently caress themselves.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Endorph posted:

the two sides in this discussion were a victim outing a rapist and a bunch of people who thought she should die for doing that, lol

They weren't though. The victim mentions a rapist in the tweets who they forgave, and then mentions the Alec case which was an abusive relationship.

I am sure there were people who thought they (Zoe) should die for doing that; I'm not one of them. There were also a bunch of people who thought Alec was guilty right off the bat because of said tweets. That's really a very dangerous way of judging things which in this case led to the accused person to take their own life.

That's what I'm pointing out with "snap judgment".

Kazy posted:

"I don't make snap judgments" but then implies a snap judgement where you think the accuser is a liar.
No, I am not. Please, don't do this.

The reason for me commenting here, is that I am reading a chain of comments in this thread, which I have bookmarked because it's for one of my favorite game, and I'm in direct disagreement with.said comments. If anything, I wanted to say my perspective of things; it's not a consensus that NITW soundtrack is now terrible because of what Alec may or may have not done.

I am also not with both sides here, as far as the specific accusation by Zoe for Alec. That is not my intention and that is foolish. I am with nobody's side. I resent that I have to choose a side (accuser or accused), that is not my place, I do not have all the facts, and neither do you as far as I can tell, and I can't change the course that the things took for Alec nor how this situation has affected Zoe in the past and now.

I dislike that twitter (and I guess other social outlets) has become a means of piling up serious accusations against people which are difficult to prove but also to dispute and defend against.
I still love the game and Alec's soundtrack, is the clearer it can get and I am sorry he thought suicide was the way out of this.

Please don't read more to this than what I'm writing. I am not "implying" anything more.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Kazy posted:

Except that it was a lot more than "a few tweets" and you're being willfully ignorant here.
Sorry, where did I write that there were a few tweets?

Kazy posted:

There's no such thing as "not taking a side", as that in and of itself is a side (that is in favor of the status quo).
There is such thing. It's my position on the matter. And I can tell you I am not in favor of the status quo, and I am also not in favor of this type of thing that's going on with twitter, not as a solution anyway.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 4, 2019

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Kazy posted:

Implying that that's all the information people were basing it off of. And I'm getting the impression that you really don't believe any of the victims (which also includes Scott himself).

Being a victim of abuse isn't an excuse for abusing people. People gave him plenty of second chances, and from the sounds of it, he never really stopped abusing people, even after his previous victims thought he had changed.

Yeah because we should just let people be abusers and the victims should just keep their mouths shut.

Jesus Christ, no. And again no. Why do you insist on inferring blatantly wrongly what I supposedly "imply" and not stay on the things I actually write?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Kazy posted:

Because you're not really writing anything of meaning? Do you actually read what you write?

Here's some advice from the forum rules page:

You have got to be kidding right?

So here's the meaning condensed: I like NITW very much still, as I do like Alec's work, the soundtrack, and the whole Aquaria game.

I am not taking a position on the recent twitter posts and I hate that it's come to this in some places, where twitter can lead to such tragedies for the accused without offering no real solutions for victims or justice (and also it should not). And with the most obvious result of creating mobs and abusers from both sides.

I hope that is clear and definite enough, because the rest of it is all you reading more into it.

Now quote a post of yours from above with the same rules excerpt below it and think about what you are doing.

quote:

This, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to suggest other than "victims shouldn't tell their stories"
You are wrong then. I am not suggesting they should not tell their stories.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 4, 2019

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

The Saddest Rhino posted:

your position is bad and you should reconsider your views, hth

Maybe. Are you willing to reconsider yours?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Kazy posted:

Then what do you suggest the victims do?

I don't know what you are asking of me here.
There has to be a better solution to handle this type of matter than via twitter. There has to be.

The victims are not in the wrong. The resulting situation is all kinds of wrong.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

The 7th Guest posted:

I'll try to keep it calm and just stick to something that was written...

it is not the burden of the victim to worry about what their abuser might do as a consequence to them sharing their story. and it is not 'A led to B', that is literally the argument used by people flooding zoe's twitter with "you murdered Alec". you didn't mean that, but that's how that argument is being used on the internet. mental illness is a lot more complex than that, and we don't know what was going on in alec's head. even his sister didn't, she just did the best she could to help him

I am not defending anyone who attacked Zoe.

Kazy posted:

also lol at this:
Is it funny?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Kazy posted:

You're pretty dead set on implying that the victims are in the wrong for using Twitter to get their stories out.
You are pretty dead set on me implying stuff. I'm going to stop engaging you now because I don't like the circle we are in and making this discussion about me does not feel right, neither was my intention.

Hopefully someone understood my meaning, or didn't but at least I got to write my view of the situation and that one felt right at the time.

In any case I suggest you move on, I hope my next message in the thread is on topic (about the game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Kazy posted:

Because that's what your words mean. You can't just say your words don't mean what they mean.

No. I can't.