Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Infidel Castro posted:

Just a helpful hint, you can smash light bulbs with Gregg without missing out on other stuff.

This also applies for hanging out with Germ, Lori, and I think anybody else who isn't Greg and Bea.

Also, I loved this game. The art was gorgeous and the writing and the characters were great. I'm thinking about gifting a couple copies to my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Angular Cyrus posted:

The real cosmic horror is capitalism.

One of the game writers retweeted a tumblr post saying pretty much this so yeah. It makes a lot of sense imo.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

RedneckwithGuns posted:

For people who have beaten this game, how long was your playthrough?

I took 10 hours, and I was trying to see everything (didn't succeed though, couldn't get the saxophonist & violinist to play together on the big stage & I couldn't talk to the goth trio again in the epilogue even though other people could). I also spent absolutely zero time on demontower, which looks like it could take 1-2+ hours depending on how good/determined you are at video games.

I'd also watched an LP of the first 2-3 hours of the game before playing because I couldn't stand not being able to play it right away when it dropped (one of the streamers on LoadingReadyRun has a hilarious reaction to Germ talking about crust punks), so that probably cut down on the amount of time running around trying to figure out what to do next.

Keep in mind this game has replay value because you're not going to be able to see everything on a single run.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 26, 2017

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Oh! There's also the two Longest Night supplemental games if you want to get more into the world. Just keep in mind that while a couple familiar faces pop up, they're fairly different from the main game in tone. They were released literally years ago, so they don't spoil anything. There's a fair amount of references in NITW to them, though.

The first is Longest Night, released like a month after the kickstarter originally ended. The developers called it a "digital yule log" I think. It's pretty short and should take you less than a half-hour to complete.

The second is Longest Night: Lost Constellation, released a year after the first Longest Night game. You build cute/ugly/demented snowmen in it. It's also significantly longer then the first game - about 3-4 hours - and while it can be a little rough around the edges, it's definitely worth your time. The ending is one of the things that really gave me confidence that the team behind this game could pull it off.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 26, 2017

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I wished I switched to keyboard controls for that one; switching between a and y on the game pad was really hard. The solo (?) section loving murdered me despite that though.

Also at macaluso: nope! I went to the church every chance I got and it still happened.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 27, 2017

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
how exactly is this the game getting ruined?

(also that's literally one of the game writers giving an answer to the question, it's not a fan giving their own take on mae)

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I mean yeah Bea's route is def grim at points but it's still funny. The stuff with Clanky made me laugh, especially when Mae was like welp time to whack things to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

LostRook posted:

She's got a higher kill count than they do right now, they should be afraid of her.

Hey could you not do this