Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
"I deserve this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

logikv9 posted:

I have never listened to fight song in its entirety

I have never listened to it at all.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The 2020 motto is "Won't take no for an answer!"

You're nuts if you don't think they'll go with "Hindsight is 2020."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

got any sevens posted:

What is the ideal spamwich of posts?

ed balls.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Montasque posted:

I never understood why they didn't focus on Trump being a crook who ripped off the little guy... It seemed like a home run. They did a bit with Trump U, but then Trump would say something outlandish and they would just focus on his evil words not his evil actions.

Because Hillary had a vested interest in not prying too deeply into just how exactly Trump was a rip-off artist, nor in exposing too much of the exploitative framework in which he operated.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

LGD posted:

Nah, running for the Democratic party ticket and then coming out in support of the eventual winner instead of mounting a third party vanity campaign was absolutely the right move move. There's a reason he's currently the most popular politician in America and the Democratic establishment is feeling the need to make moves to fend off or co-opt the influence of his ideas. Creating political change doesn't necessitate converting every deplorable Dem out there.

This. The best possible outcome he could have expected from a third party run would be as a forgettable footnote, and more likely would have degenerated into a Nader-esque vanity exercise.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Frijolero posted:

It was also incredibly tone deaf after a year and a half of police murdering innocent minorities.

Like I understand that the economy is doing better than before. And we're relatively safe from terrorist attacks. We're overall a prosperous nation. But how do you square that "America is great" to underemployed middle America, students in deep debt, and PoC getting murdered by police?

In three emoji or less.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

I like the fact that MLK Jr. wanted to create a poor's person campaign on DC (with people of all background's), made points about how Jim Crow also hosed over poor white's as well and such...but this is all swept under the rug in favor of some sort of white washed version of what he wanted to accomplish. Harry Belafonte even made a point about how MLK Jr's ultimate mission wasn't done because he said "it felt like I integrated my people into a burning house".

The "Wolf and the fox" quote by Malcolm X also (sadly) rings true in this day and age..

MLK Jr. is amazing btw. I think it's sad he's thought of as just a "civil rights icon". He's so much more than that.

The quasi-deification of MLK jr. by white America is distressing for a number of reasons. Certainly what you're talking about, but also how it sanctifies non-violent resistance to the point where only that intentionally-misunderstood and shackled version of protest is deemed as morally valid (and in practice even it gets written off as too aggressive, see also any protest ever).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

call to action posted:

See the folks in other threads that had a literal conniption fit, including a request to the mods to probate her/him if she/he continued to talk to me, when I suggested that arming black folks was a good idea. And it came from a self-described leftist progressive.

Can you imagine how glorious it would be if some revived Huey P. Newton Gun Club showed up in 100+ numbers to every protest where white folks were open carrying?

Realistically? It would be a terrible idea and any armed black groups that emerged, no matter how spotless they actually were, would get labeled as domestic terrorists almost immediately and violently suppressed in exactly the same way that the Bundy's weren't.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Brother Friendship posted:

unable to sleep and haunted by her sins and failures.

That requires a capacity for self reflection and guilt that, frankly, I increasingly doubt she has.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dreddout posted:

Wait a sec, "America is great because America is good" is an actual thing and not just a Cspam joke?

Holy loving Christ

It was in fact a literal line she defiantly proclaimed during the campaign, which went over about as well as you'd imagine.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They managed her campaign like a brand. Coming soon: Hillary Clinton with an all new human* flavor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

logikv9 posted:

Mr. Jackman the screening is already over

He can't help, as by this iteration of the character he's so musclebound he cannot turn around without considerable assistance.

• Locked thread