Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tangwystal
Jun 26, 2013

What is it?

A text based adventure game (remember Zork?) only much easier to play because it uses hyper-links instead of a parser. That means you click instead of type.

It's about a firewall elemental--a fire spirit bound with C++ code to protect a network of people and places.

You decide how she develops. She can be a caring protector or a dreamless automaton or a torrent of cleansing flame.

During the game you can:
  • Search for malicious spirits
  • Fight nightmares in the Web
  • Visit the Aethernet, a celestial realm of pure concepts
  • Protect your network
  • Make friends with viruses
  • Riddle with a poltergeist
  • Learn about matters and motives--the building blocks of the spirit world
  • Generate dreams
  • Burn everything

About The World

Open Sorcery is set in a techno-magical world where magicians use technology to interface more effectively with mystical forces.

You only get to see a small portion of the larger world in the game, but it's hinted at.

One of the main themes of the world is how the universe is fundamentally a comprehensible place. Magic, though complex and mysterious, is something that can ultimately be understood now that we have the tools to analyze it properly.

The magic users in the universe are called Open Sorcerers and their community is based on the cooperative, altruistic, and haphazard open source community in the real world.

The main screen of the game is stylistically based on DOS and the Windows Firewall.

You don't need to understand programming to play the game.

What is Twine?

This game was built using Twine.

Twine is a javascript library/IDE that was originally created to simulate old Choose Your Own Adventure stories online.

It uses hyperlinks to provide the user with choices.

Example games and access to the tool can be found here.

Try it:

Price on Steam: $3.99
Price on Mobile: $2.99

The variety of paths and endings mean you can replay the game multiple times and get entirely different outcomes.

You can play the demo here

Or just buy the game.

tangwystal fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

your account is 4 years old...how is this your first post

tangwystal
Jun 26, 2013
I am extremely lurky.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol you also bought a banner ad for your lovely non-game

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Stuntman posted:

lol you also bought a banner ad for your lovely non-game

Man, who would be enough of a nerd to give money to a comedy forum? Next you're going to tell me there's an entry fee, too.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm surprised you didn't use that nice face shot in your ad banner, OP. The text-only ad is not that attractive (though I guess it succeeded in bringing at least a few of us here!).

Have you done any other interactive fiction games before?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This is a really solid IF game actually. Love the world, and the writing is good and fun. Only played the demo though, which felt like a full enough game to deserve $4. Highly recommended.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

While making a first post to promote your game is generally considered bad form, you DID register in 2013... and this game also seems Extremely My poo poo. This is almost definitely something I will purchase. (Nice work on the prose, too!)

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Not lying, this looks like my poo poo.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Followed the ad, was intrigued enough to play the demo, and now I own the game. Cheers!

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 1, 2017

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
This is so my poo poo, I feel like I need to have a chat with my proctologist.

Edit: Neat. That's the first bit of twine I've encountered with something approximating a keyboard.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 1, 2017

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
This is good. And it's inexpensive enough that I don't feel bad pressuring my friends to buy it.

I want to see more of the world the game takes place, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

John Lee posted:

While making a first post to promote your game is generally considered bad form, you DID register in 2013... and this game also seems Extremely My poo poo. This is almost definitely something I will purchase. (Nice work on the prose, too!)

It's really good if you have any love at all for classic-era IF.

tangwystal
Jun 26, 2013

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Have you done any other interactive fiction games before?

I have made one other called "16 Ways to Kill a Vampire at McDonalds."

I refer to it as 16W2KaV@McD for short.

It's free because I don't want to be sued. Playable here:
Kill a Vampire

John Lee posted:

While making a first post to promote your game is generally considered bad form, you DID register in 2013...

I admit I was hesitant, but I figured that spending money on the ad evens me out karmic-ly.

Bieeardo posted:

Edit: Neat. That's the first bit of twine I've encountered with something approximating a keyboard.

Right?! I mean, technically you could just splice in an html input and grab the contents with javascript, but this looked way way better.

Sorus posted:

This is good. And it's inexpensive enough that I don't feel bad pressuring my friends to buy it.

I want to see more of the world the game takes place, though.

Stay tuned for Open Sorcery 2: Sea++

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010
Played the demo then hit that buy button on steam so drat fast I didn't notice it doesn't run on linux.

oops.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

tangwystal posted:

Kill a Vampire

Hey this is kinda cool, I got a kick out of it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Sounds rad, my guy. I'll give it a look while BoTW downloads. :)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

tangwystal posted:

Stay tuned for Open Sorcery 2: Sea++

Calling subroutines from the vasty deep.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I mean, a follow-up game would be cool, but I could easily see this making a jump to tabletop.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I never liked coding or interactive fiction, but I gave in to the ephemeral goon pressure and bought the Android version.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just now got the triple pun of the game's title. I feel real dumb.

tangwystal
Jun 26, 2013

GladRagKraken posted:

Played the demo then hit that buy button on steam so drat fast I didn't notice it doesn't run on linux.

oops.

I just finished the linux port. I need to test it, but it will exist soon.

Bieeardo posted:

Calling subroutines from the vasty deep.

Exactly the vibe I'm going for.

Sorus posted:

I mean, a follow-up game would be cool, but I could easily see this making a jump to tabletop.

There has actually already been a LARP. :)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Demo is pretty sweet.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

I just now got the triple pun of the game's title. I feel real dumb.

What's the triple pun

Open Source, Sorcery, what else?

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

What's the triple pun

My guess is sorcery out in the open. Open sorcery.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
I just finished, but not with what I assume is the "optimal" ending. There seems to be a somewhat required list of things to do in order for the final sequence to be completed satisfactorily. I was very glad to see that in subsequent playthroughs the time countdowns can be eliminated. I'd argue to take them out altogether as they decrease the ability to fully read what's happening, which was the reason I was playing it. I'm going to give it a second playthrough soon (Okay, third, because I'm dumb when talking to fairies and had to restart).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FirstAidKite posted:

What's the triple pun

Open Sesame :)

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

tangwystal posted:

Kill a Vampire

just played this to 100% completion.

yeah i think i need to buy your game. your style is very appealing to me.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Bought it after trying the demo. A nice little fun thing to decompress. Good job, OP :)

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I really enjoyed this, bought a couple of copies for friends.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Gumby posted:

(Okay, third, because I'm dumb when talking to fairies and had to restart).

Same here even though I have read a bunch of stories about faeries of course I had to follow the dumb chaos spirit :downs:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
This game owns! I had a lot of fun for a couple hours. I love the fairy sequence. although I'm not sure if you were inspired by the dresden files, it fits with what I know from the series perfectly. Of course i told her my name once to see what would happen :D

And by the looks of it over 3 playthroughs, there are many ways to win the game, some more optimal than others although I lost my first run.

Please make more like this.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i just came here for the ad

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

oh fine! I bought your game

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I liked the writing, expecially friendship with fireworm :3 you should collaborate with goon who created House of the Dying Sun because his fire destroys and yours is Fire that protects

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I like the game but it loads very slow on my N7 (2013) which is odd because I can play other Twine/text games fine. Yes I did tap the words to move on.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I thought self-promoted game threads crash and burn? What's going on?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah its super weird to see something self-promoted be so good. This game evokes a real sense of wonder and invites multiple playthroughs with open arms. Making decisions has extreme lasting effects on how you approach the situation at the end, and I'm still not sure if I made the "right" choices by befriending certain side characters, being truthful about my expanding capabilities, or by accepting invites to do cool poo poo.

BECOME THE ENGINE was the fastest i may have clicked a button ever in my life.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
OK this seems super fun and is definitely a cool theme on its own! Hope it's good when I get hope otherwise I'll be really angry I spent the equivalent of a starbucks coffee on a game that looks fun.

The fact it's on mobile too just makes it even better. Cheers!

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
nude

• Locked thread