Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I don't really have a pony pick, but Sierra is definitely my poision. I can't believe they are bringing her back again, when she's done nothing of note in either of her previous appearances. Replacing the casting directors is probably the easiest change the show could make in terms of cost to benefit. The show would be incredible without all the mactors who've never watched Survivor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

Do you mean Ciera? Because Sierra has only been on one season.

I do indeed!

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Yeah, people are always down on Boston Rob because it "took him four tries to win".... not really.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Lol Tai...

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

DurosKlav posted:

I know its not cool and all but Andrea is the only survivor where every moment she's on screen I'm :swoon: nonstop.

It's hard to tell how much is editing, but her seeming to instantly pick up on how it affects strategy is cool.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Hahaha, "calm and collective" call back.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

xbilkis posted:

"I can't lose all the challenges and win Survivor!"

Malcolm do you remember what happened in your first season

He can't lose all the challenges and win Survivor, even if Denise can.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

xbilkis posted:

Denise and Malcolm played pretty much identical premerge games and Malcolm hosed up at the end

It's the internet, we're being pedantic.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Max posted:

Either the editors sucked or she just wasn't an interesting character but was a good player.

Or Survivor has a extremely high degree of chance where players of low skill can occasionally win, and the better players can be felled by something they had no way to forsee or counter (bad initial tribe situations, unlucky swaps, random people deciding to get rid of them because of a "feeling", chance immunity outcomes). Because as much as I love Survivor, the game mechanics don't push the best to succeed.

One of the biggest sources of randomness in the game is the pressure on players to "not be a threat". One can make the argument that being a threat while not appearing to be one is a key skill to winning the game, but more often than not it involves the ultimate winner making a bunch of accidental missteps that mean they aren't the biggest target at any given time. A big reason Adam was able to win last season was that he lucked into loving up at just the right time, with the jar thing and generally getting on peoples nerves (but not to the point that they booted him for it), hiding him among players who hadn't hosed up as much and were thus "bigger targets". Otherwise great players can not have the fortune of accidentally loving up at the right time, and get targeted as threats. If you don't ever piss people off, you're a "social threat". Which people don't really take seriously (though they should). But if a "social threat" who hasn't pissed anyone off does, like, anything that is seen as a "move", they'll instantly become targeted as a big threat.

So it's totally possible that Michele lucked into winning, despite not being good at Survivor. It really depends on how conscious she was of how others would be perceived; if it's clear that everyone hates everyone, sitting back and floating into the final because "everyone can beat you" when in reality the hatred everyone has means that any game players won't win, well then it's a valid strategy. As Sandra has demonstrated twice. Someone who understands this can win, even if they don't grasp the wider strategic concepts of Survivor.

Mildly goating yourself has always been the optimal strategy in Survivor because you can get other people to want to take you to the end which eliminates so much of the effects of the randomness, which means pretty good money (since Survivor pays its high place finishers pretty well), and a chance of actually winning the thing after all if all the game players actually hosed up just a bit too much (resulting in everyone hating them, and giving you, the goat, the money). Every other strategy involves, at some point in the game, leaving things up to chance (because otherwise you're playing too hard), and things can go either way.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 14, 2017

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I really dislike the 2 tribes to 3 tribes swaps that have been happening so often recently. The tribe that ends up having to start anew gets completely hosed over, and it reduces interesting tribe dynamics to "that person wasn't on our original tribe that we had for 2 days, GET THEM!!!" pagongings for the subsequent 5 or 6 boots.

I generally dislike tribe swaps for the randomness they introduce (at least do it in a way that is less random and less likely to end up with unbalanced teams, like each pick has to subsequently pick someone from the other initial tribe), but the 2 to 3 has got to be the worst swap dynamic.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Adus posted:

the troyzan idol thing got me thinking. has there actually ever been a time where someone was swapped into a minority but found an idol and got someone else voted out with a vote of 1? i can't seem to think of any occurrences of this.

It's not in anyone's best interest to ever let this happen. If someone is literally on their own with an idol, they know they're going to be targeted. It's much better in that situation to say "hey, I have an idol, who wants to align with me" and try to fracture the group targeting them than it is to try and make a surprise idol play and be the sole opposing vote.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Nexal posted:

Interesting scenario if troyzan pulls idol in play and the votes go 3 on him 1 on someone else and 1 someone other. Can't troyzan force the remaining 2 voters to go for rocks?

Yes, which is why (assuming people play rationally, which...) he can potentially split the tribe quite dramatically, because people have an incentive to go along with his vote.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

blue squares posted:

Anyone planning on watching Amazing Race tonight? I like the fact that all the teams are strangers before the race

Thanks for this heads up. I got into Amazing Race before Survivor, but got incredibly sick of all the team based stunt casting and haven't watched for a couple of years. More hopeful after this first episode than in a handful of seasons.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

It's a shame that the "Game Changers" theme of the season seems to involve more many more twists than are necessary. Twists put Big Brother on a lower strategic level than Survivor, and it's a huge shame to see them here with such prominence. Malcolm and Sandra getting eliminated because of a twist and unnecessarily frequent and random tribe swaps lowers the quality of the season.

I understand that twists were used throughout both shows' history to be able to draw in extra viewers "watching tonight... FOR THE BIG TWIST/GAME CHANGER!!!". But does this sort of advertising really effect viewership of a show in its 34th season?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Holy poo poo. "My trans friends", he says, as he outs someone while saying that Zeke being transgender is a deception. It became clear that Varner had "misread" the room, and was apologizing profusely for that. But I don't buy that he actually understand what he did was wrong, because he kept pushing the deception thing.

What an rear end in a top hat.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Varner's "strategic reasons" or thinking that Zeke was already out based on the previous season don't mean poo poo. As Zeke himself said, Varner using Zeke's trans status as being evidence of "capability for deception" is seriously transphobic and just as bad if not worse than the fact that he outed Zeke on national TV without his permission.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

It really sounds like a lovely thing that a person did without thinking. I don't think Varner is as malicious as it came off. I think the shittier takes are those by Corinne, Hantz, and Ice Cream Eric on twitter.

Outing someone on Survivor in an intense moment could be a spur of the moment bad decision. But Varner was clearly planning to do it before the tribal (given that he told the camera he knew a secret of Zeke's etc), so he had plenty of time to think about it.

But even if it was a spur of moment decision to out Zeke, he straight-up said that being trans was a deception. That's not a spur of the moment fuckup, that's a poisonous worldview

From Zeke in his People interview
http://people.com/tv/survivor-transgender-contestant-zeke-smith-outed-tv-exclusive/

quote:

“I think he hoped others would believe that trans people are dangerous and fraudulent. That reasoning is infinitely worse than him outing me because it’s the same one used to discriminate against, attack and murder trans people,” Smith says.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

If they wanted a former survivor to host, the first person they'd ask would almost certainly be Colby.

Boston Rob?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Bolivar posted:

Do I remember correctly that no one knows for sure that Tai has even one idol (let alone two)?. Aside from oh-so-correct remarks from other contestants that he is ridiculously good at finding idols.

I just can't see any way that he would get actual use from them. I only see an outcome where he opens up to the merged tribe that "I have an idol... (pause) okei, I have two idols".

I think in some ways that "is good at finding idols" actually means "is so bad socially that they don't get it's not ok to blatantly spend a lot of time searching for idols".

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

In a general sense, I think there's a reason that people who are up against the wall often manage a last-minute idol find: they throw caution to the wind and blatantly go searching. It's obviously a lot easier to find an idol when you're caring less about being discovered. I think people who have a reputation for being "good at finding idols" are people who don't have that caution in the first place, and are blatant about their searching from the get-go.

They find lots of idols, but they don't grasp how it makes them look sketchy in the game, socially. They tend to be people with other huge social game flaws. Tai, Tony (I still don't quite understand how he won...), Russell.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The most confusing thing is that we got a Zeke confessional where he said he understood he was overplaying "but whatevz!".

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

"Getting cute" with the votes is one of the silliest things that overplayers are prone to doing. Vote for people you want gone. Don't vote for people you want to stay. Voting the way you want, and they lying about it (if that is necessary for some reason) is almost always going to be better than voting for someone strictly so the vote numbers look a certain way, because it can end up screwing you in a game when everyone is potentially lying.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Piell posted:

Everyone who has played back to back plays exactly the same game both timea, because they haven't seen themselves from the outside point of view and haven't had enough time to think about it.

Counterpoint, Aubry?

I don't think Zeke gets a pass here, because he understood it was what got him out last game, verbalised that, then decided to do it anyway.

That said, it COULD inadvertantly help him, if he survives a couple more votes. Making a huge mistake, but surviving it, is a helpful factor in ultimately winning. Adam messed up pretty badly a couple of times, and that's ultimately how he could win, because he became a smaller target when he needed to.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Oops, weird brain moment there thinking Aubry and Zeke were on the same season.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

How would nobody see Sarah swim to the other platform and think nothing of it? lol

I think everyone else went into the boat and couldn't see her?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I think "ok, no one goes home, but next tribal, 2 people are going" is the best way to respond to such a situation. It's not a twist for its own sake, since it's in response to a strange situation, and everyone would have adequate preparation to figure out how to deal with it. But it would cause some interesting voting dynamics.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 7, 2017

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

SweetJahasus posted:

I almost want to see some Genius-esque Supreme Ways moment where they've been working together the whole time to get to yet another finale together where they can take another shot at the victory.

*Ideotape Melodie starts playing.
"Shall we go together... to the finals"
*clasps hands.
* Intro begins.

God I miss the Genius.

This is the threads seasonal reminder to go watch all 4 seasons of the Genius (and season 1 of society game), since it's on a strategic level Survivor can never hope to achieve due to its casting (of smarter people), challenge structure (of vastly more complicated games), and voting mechanics (which don't incentivize playing "below the radar", because getting rid of a strong player requires a direct 1v1 challenge vs that person).

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 9, 2017

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm not sure what's more mind boggling, Sierra telling someone in an oppossing alliance that she has a power in the game that will get willed to that person if she's voted out, or Sarah not immediately realising that she should vote her out because of it.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Candy Crush? Are you serious?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

These are much better than the standard endurance tests, because there's an element of strategy in how much exertion is put keeping things stable, and that trades off against long-term endurance. Then there's the ability to compensate purely through balance and skill.

So much better than "how long can you hold onto this thing".

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

gif Probst posted:

me too considering how strong his first few episodes were.

I can see that being because Jeff felt that Brad got done in by the edit last go around, and wanted to make viewers like him more. Doesn't have to have anything to do with how far he goes.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Someone needs an extreme ways flashback to explain wtf just went down.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Rick posted:

This is great. Poor Aubrey.

--

I really like Andrea. She was probably playing a dead hand from the merge since basically her whole alliance had this date marked on their calendar for getting her out, and I doubt she would have fared much better flipping over to Brad's side.

I think it's more of an "alliance" than an alliance. It's been vastly more successful at getting its own members out than the opposing alliance.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Superanos posted:

The production really needs to calm down with the constant dumb twists.

Speaking of productions calming down with dumb twists, Big Brother Canada season 5 (which just finished this week) is worth watching precisely because they did so (with one exception that's revealed right at the beginning of the season). They've always had quite good casting, but were hampered by the constant twists.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

It was a great season we want people to watch, spoiler tags might be appropriate?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

There is no logic, Tai is not a thinker.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

gently caress. This was a poor week to miss 20 minutes of.

Signup for a trial of Hulu livetv, watch from the beginning. You'll catchup through breaks and the first 5 mins being recap.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

Tai is such an awful social player.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

They are focusing on Outwit, Outplay, Outlast but nothing has really changed?

Explicitly having an "Outlast" segment seems like a way to encourage juries to not be bitter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Do we know who the third Brad vote was? Andrea seemed pretty bitter?

• Locked thread