Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MacheteZombie posted:

This is interesting to read because for me the shoe box of pics felt like Peele over played his hand revealing she was in on it prior to the actual reveal.

Yeah, it was probably too much for a lot of people to write off. However Peele was careful to have her spend the whole movie leading up to that moment being the one actively standing up for Chris and commenting on how hosed up everyone else was. She confronted the cop, complained about her family, seemed to have confronted the Georgiana, was talked down from confronting her mom about the hypnotism, was displaying what looked like genuine revulsion as the old white people interacted with Chris, etc. Even in the woods, she played her reaction to Chris leaving in the light of his statement that he'd leave without her, cleverly stalling for time for the auction.

The whole movie is setting up Rose as the active champion in contrast to Chris' passivity. Then right after Chris finds the box of pictures, we're treated to Rose acting like she genuinely can't find her keys. The way she's frantically searching through her purse seeming to imply her own hypnotic suggestion to be unable to find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cacator posted:

What's the significance of the Japanese man at the party? Something about the model minority stereotype maybe?

Also noticed a small homage to Pulp Fiction when the music changed to the Childish Gambino song when the Music Supervisor credit came up during the opening titles.

There's lots of things you could take from it.

• Asia/Japan also have hosed up and racist view of black people
  • The problem isn't just rear end in a top hat white people
  • The history of tension between Asian immigrants and African Americans
  • Touching how in America East Asians are often seen as an ideal minority, most successfully blending into the existing social and power structures of the country
  • Showing that while race plays a large role in the whole hosed up situation, you can't forget that we're dealing with a bunch of rich assholes first and foremost
  • The lurking reminder that the patronizing racism at the heart of the villainous plot isn't just directed at black people, maybe one of the rich assholes previously longed to possess the hard working and industrious body of an Asian man after watching The Karate Kid a few times and desiring to know what it was like to know Karate

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BobKnob posted:

It would have been a much duller movie if they did this, but why is everyone seeming to be purposefully antagonistic to Chris and leaving clues everywhere on purpose? Even if they were super confident that there was no way that Chris could escape, why bother? Seems like they did a lot of work to freak him out and tell him the plot. They could have literally asked him to come down to the basement/gameroom and dropped him right there if they just acted normal.

According to Stephen Root, it's all part of the process that helps prepare them for a successful transplant. The hypnotism and acceptance of the situation seem to both be vital components, plus while they're prepping the victim for the procedure they do still have to put on a nice party/auction for all the local rich people.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JT Smiley posted:

It also basically spoils Rose being in on it

No, it deliberately only shows her freaking out and helping him.

The trailer is good at getting you to think you're in for the movie Rod keeps warning Chris about. It only spoils the actual story if you know what it is and reflect on the trailer with that knowledge.

Telling you that the white people are up to nefarious things in a horror movie about a black guy meeting white people in the middle of nowhere is hardly spoiling anything. Bradly Whitford and Stephen Root are the only people we meet at the estate who don't immediately, or within minutes, expose themselves as having something wrong to the audience. Catherine Keener was great, but her dislike of Chris was harsh and obvious from the get go.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I would even say that the trailer is a pretty effective red herring that leads you to assume the movie is just about hypnosis/brainwashing. You can't get the full extent of the story from the trailer so the "twist" is a pleasant escalation of the concept that feeds from the viewers' expectation that they already think they know what's going on.

One thing that bothered me a little was Rose turning into the terminator after the reveal. Like, I get that she's a sociopath that lures men into this horrorshow but at the same time, her parents and brother were just murdered you'd think she'd have some emotional response to that.

Also, never call the cops, jesus christ what are you doing man.

Guess you missed how she eats fruit loops. Girl doesn't have a soul and emotions mean nothing to her.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Steve Yun posted:

I'm curious about this. During the movie the camera stared at the Froot Loops so hard I felt like it was Lassie trying to tell me something important.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-get-out-milk-horror-jordan-peele-allison-williams-20170301-story.html

Peele said in an interview that the Froot Loops were supposed to be emblematic of stunted growth, psychopathy and childishness, but I don't quite get anything else about the character that would have corroborated that. Sure, she's psychopathic, but I don't see what's psychopathic about Froot Loops, and Froot Loops are childish, but I don't see anything otherwise about her behavior that was childish. Seems like this could've been thought out some more.

While Fruit Loops do invoke a childishness, it's the way that she's eating them that is the focus. She was brought up in a weird cult entity that groomed her to go out and sexually entrap people in order to lure them back to base so they can have their brain scooped out and one of her family's old rich friends take it over. All the warmth and concern that we saw throughout the film was her act. As soon as she drops the act she becomes cold and emotionless. Chris was one of her favorites, but given how he "almost got away" the implication seems to be more that he put up one of the best fights rather than her being fond of him as a person. Eating a kids cereal is done in a calculated, OCD, type way as she bluntly searches for her next victim. Even the way she puts in and takes out her earbuds seems to be mechanical in nature. The photos on her wall aren't arranged as wistful mementos, they're arranged as trophies, the keepsakes of a serial killer.

She appears to take no actual pleasure in food, music, or even interpersonal interaction. After she confirms her betrayal to Chris, the only emotion that we see again is the smile she gives Chris as he chokes her.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Egbert Souse posted:

Actually, the mindset is exactly what I see in the "I'm not racist, but..." crowd.

They swear up and down they're not racist, but don't want to live in the same neighborhood, have them date their daughters, or just focus on physical/talent attributes instead of as another human being.

You don't have to hate to be racist.

Claiming to be willing to vote for a 3rd term of Obama is the ultimate a black friend.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Franchescanado posted:

What I find interesting is when Andre is brought back to consciousness with the phone camera flash, he doesn't try to escape, he warns Chris to get out. The only reason I can think of him doing that is his consciousness would only maintain control for a short period of time before the new consciousness takes over again.

I think most of them is gone. They're just a ghost floating in the sunken place and forced to watch the actions of their replacement. Even when they can briefly take control, they're already mostly gone, on top of being deeply traumatized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There are still people who've skipped seeing the movie because they don't normally dig on horror, so...~kinda maybe~?

The spoilering past the first page or so after the movie comes out is dumb in all the movie threads. Who the gently caress is jumping to page 8 of a thread on a current movie they haven't seen and cares about spoilers?

Steve Yun posted:

As an aside from the current line of argument, my roommate pointed out that many movies dealing with race will always have the One Good White Guy in the movie who isn't racist and takes sides with the aggrieved black people in the film, and Get Out doesn't even have that.

Rose is that character. That's why so many people still didn't think she was bad until she makes it clear to Chris that she's in on it. That One Good White Guy is always also a racist, but movies like to pretend otherwise, because #NotAll[whatever group you're talking about]. Everyone is racist, because we're social apes that compete with other groups of social apes for resources.

• Locked thread