Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The most "frightening" part of this movie was the relation I had to meeting almost every parent of many of the people I've dated. It perfectly captured the feeling/reaction of doing that.

Also, seeing it with a packed (black) audience was hilarious, as there were a ton of "that's why you don't date white people comments." I had taken a (white) ex to see it with me, and she stated that made her feel uncomfortable a few times. I told her, "welcome to my entire life" (which is a point the movie touched upon a lot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

A perspective on this movie from A White Guy:

At the beginning, the cop being a dick to Chris caught me slightly off guard because I am not used to that.

That was one of the most important things about the movie. Forcing you to empathize with the (black) protagonist, so that you feel the same apprehension we feel when we're pulled over by police, especially in a more compromising position.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I think he was the only casting choice I didn't like. To the point it pulled me out of the movie as kind of a "just shut the gently caress up, I get what he's saying but just shut the gently caress up". Especially with the dinner table scenes, just shut up. A little too out there

Just imagine how someone feels when they run into that guy in real life, then. Because I've seen it a lot with younger white guys once they feel "comfortable" to various degrees.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm just wondering, are there any white liberals who make no pretense of "getting" this movie? Or they actually do get it, but are mad that the movie is specifically indicting them? Because, I honestly want to hate read that review.

I haven't been following the white conservative reaction to this movie too closely, figuring they'd mostly avoid it in the first place, but if they're put off by the unsympathetic portrayal of white liberals, it's another sign that the "divide" between liberal and conservative whites is quite superficial and often arbitrary. Conservatives are not only invested in tribalism, but the idea that white men are still dominating "the other tribe", even if they're the white men who'd vote for Obama for a third term.

I know white (and hispanic) "liberals" who saw the movie and don't get it at all. I had one guy talk about how great it was to me...and then explain the movie and point of the movie sounding exactly like Rose's brother. I just made a Chris face when it happened.

Basically, as long as people see black people as an "other," they can easily fall into the trap of contributing to racism. By otherizing, even in the manner of a fetish, it often or typically leads to dehumanizing, which only ads to overall negative impact.

For instance, the "big dick" statement at the party - I've often heard that in defense of stereotypes since it's supposedly a "positive" stereotype, but there are plenty of black guys who don't have big dicks, so...

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Racism, particularly the very idosyncratic kind we have in the US where nothing matters other than Black and White, is economically motivated. Racialization is a justifcation for conquest and domination. I have no clue why people are acting like it's just gratuitous cruelty.

Tribalism is a huge part of it to. In fact, the economic part works so well because of the natural inclination of tribalism.
People distrust those they see as different ----> Put people in economic competition ----> People will focus on those they see as "different" that are in economic competition as opposed to those they see as the same. That's how "white" has been historically used as an end goal of any immigrant group in the U.S. to attain, as it keeps minority groups infighting instead of joining together.

But the other facet of racism, and what Get Out focuses more on, is even seeing people as innately "different" in the first place. Essentially, the moment you see someone as different in any large way - because- their skin color or features are different, you begin to dehumanize them because you're just sticking them in a category. And taken to the full extent, you get the way Chris was viewed in Get Out.

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 14, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Would you mind giving some detail here?

I had to ask the person I was with what was said, I'll let you know if she remembers. I kind of let stuff like that go in one in and out the other unless it's especially egregious.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

I bet he's one of those people who gets super mad if you mention how great Frankenstein is

No big deal I'm just curious how that shakes out

I just want to say that we don't know that this is a "natural" inclination, certainly not on the basis of appearance. Before European imperialism, skin color was not a major factor in the formation of social identity. In the (dumb) ape analogy that is often used as a prop for "race realism", chimpanzees don't distinguish their in groups on the basis of similar appearance.

Tribalism is definitely a natural inclination; primates do it, and humans have historically done it since we can trace back.

Grouping people according to skin color and features is something that European colonialism created, as this was the first time it could be done on a universal, near-worldwide level, and it "naturally" stuck because we're visual creatures and group things according to visuals constantly (probably).

Appealing to tribalism doesn't mean appealing to race distinctions in itself, but people grouping themselves due to some similarity (including location) and creating an "other." Europeans just making a dumb visual grouping like that is something that easily works on a lot of people.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

"Tribalism" is just as likely to promote cooperation and trade. Tribalism, for example, is useful socially when you can use it to join two peoples together through a series of marriages. Racism specifically originates from justifying inequity. It's a reification of an advantageous social and economic arrangement. What stokes racism is arguably irrational, but you can track the development of racism over the past half millenium and it's remarkably consistent despite the fluidity of its categories.

That guy owns.

Racism is sourced in justifying colonial dominance over groups, but it perpetuates today, outside of all common sense, because of how well it fits into how people generally like to group things. It crosses over into resources a ton, but it also exists outside of those considerations because it aligns with where people generally fall back into on "instinct."

We know why the idea of race, and thus racism, exists, but now that it exists, it branches out beyond its source and exists in more insidious forms because of that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

resurgam40 posted:

So... I'm sorry I missed it if it's come up before, but what are the thoughts about Samuel L. Jackson's comments regarding Daniel Kaluuya, and Mr. Kaluuya's response to them?

I hadn't heard of Kaluuya before and didn't actually know he was British (his accent is very good! I seem to recall John Boyega's American dialect slipping a little, but his didn't as far I can see) and Mr. Jackson is entitled to his opinion of course, but... the thing I keep thinking about, after Get Out, is that I really can't think of any black actor in America that's both as black as Kaluuya is, and has been cast in a leading role. I could be forgetting a key role by somebody here, and for that I apologize, but it just seems like the actors of color who get ahead in Hollywood (and consistently get leading, important roles) pass the "paper bag" test- and by "leading, important role" I mean acting with more than one other famous white person, in the kind of role that Chris plays in this movie, that is an artist and an everyman. (I think of Chris Rock, but hmm, all of his roles seem to involve stand-up comedy in some way...) Which I suspect is one of the points Peele is trying to make.

e: And Betty Gabriel! (This is not really on topic, but) I've never heard of her before in my life, but her role was one of the (if not the) best in the movie: completely creepy, but even in her creepiness projecting this aura of melancholy helplessness that I suppose factored into one of Chris' decisions by the end of the movie.

American black people generally aren't as dark because many of our ancestors were raped by white people somewhere down the line (if we weren't mixed post-slavery on top of that). We also lost a lot of our African facial features with those mixtures as well (which is why black Africans and Americans can immediately tell each other apart). So, just by numbers, many black actors won't be Snipes-dark. Europe, especially, doesn't have that same history, so you get more black people that are closer to their African heritage.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Chris doesn't get weirded out by the "other" black people because they're working class; he gets weirded out because, when not around white people, and speaking to another black person, they don't drop the charade that black people put up to fit into white society. Instead, they continue to act exactly the same.

It is so normal for many black people to lose inflections, change body language and handshakes, etc. around white people that they don't even recognize it, which almost immediately drops when around another black person. It's easy to forget that a lot of non black people have absolutely no knowledge of this, which provides an interesting interpretation people have of Chris being weirded out at the party.

TSA guy was jokingly worried about Chris losing his "blackness" (that he still has), and the black people Chris met were examples of people who really did lose their blackness (because they had white brains), and what was feared to become.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

They aren't actually well meaning white folks in the sense of the plot of the movie (they come off that way at first, but are obviously not), but represent real life well meaning white folks that actually perpetuate racism in ways they don't even realize.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

What's the difference?

The quoted tweets from Jordan Peele say that "we" are in the sunken place. Marginalized people. Who does "we" exclude?

In reality, none. But that requires people being honest with themselves to realize. Plausable deniability about intent has me coach what is being said in that manner to provide less confusion for people that are not as familiar with more detailed social theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Black people are some of the people most defendable for being conspiracy theorists since so many literal otherwise ridiculous conspiracy theories have been proven true about black people. Voting laws and zoning, drug laws and possibly some drug community leaking, zoning, and literal experimentation have all happened to black people, many of which particularly to keep black people from amassing too much power. A ridiculous brain swap conspiracy actually being true just plays along with what other ridiculous stuff has been done to black people by white people already, and while laughable on its surface, is really just par for the course.

• Locked thread