Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm currently using an old PS2 gamepad on an ancient USB adapter from like 13 years ago. Ancient history. Anyone got a solid recommendation for a good and reasonably priced gamepad?

Looking for:

- Reasonable price - Ideally $30 or less, I could go up to $40 if it's a stellar product that will do everything and last forever
- Build quality - well-made, durable, ergonomic, not excessively large. Won't jam from household dirt or break the first time it falls
- Lots of buttons - 16 or more is ideal, no fewer than 12, including d-pad and clickable analog sticks
- Compatibility - Works well with windows and doesn't have issues with analogs mapping as incorrect types (bonus if it works well with linux)
- Wireless a plus, if it works well, has decent battery life or replaceable cells, and doesn't break the bank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Open box Dual shock 4 for 38.25 https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01LWVX2RG/condition=used

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Logitech Gamepad F310 is decent for the price. Isn't wireless and is on the lower end on the number of buttons.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
You can get old xbox 360 controllers cheap on the used market, and then pick up a 360 wireless adapter for Windows. Wired USB 360 controllers are also decent if you don't mind the (long!) cable.

Edit: I've used DS4, and I'm sure although it could be a good alternative, but ultimately, an xinput controller is going to have full compatibility and the on-screen icons will match up. DS4's built in battery pack is a negative for me, too.

Double edit: Steam Controller is nice enough, but only for games that probably weren't best played on a controller to begin with. I'd still rather use a standard controller for games that were designed around a controller.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 26, 2017

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Not sure if this is kosher, but I've got a USB 360 controller I'd be happy to sell you. It's in fantastic shape. I just don't use it anymore.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The steam controller's on sale for $35. Get that or a DS4, like Craig said. New, they run for $45. I wouldn't sweat $5-15 (these prices over the $30 you requested) for an item you'll get many hours of use on.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The steam controller I'd only recommend for games without native gamepad support or the need to control a camera. The DS4 is amazing and I've seen on sale for like $45 or less quite a bit.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Related to this, I have a pair of Saitek P880s recommended here many years ago. It lacks trigger buttons but has six right-face buttons, supporting the Genesis/Mega Drive and N64 layouts. Do they make new game pads with six face buttons, or would there be a modern replacement for that purpose?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
360 controller is the gold standard for compatibility on PC games

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Xbone controller now.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Roargasm posted:

Xinput* is the gold standard for compatibility on PC games

Ftfy

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The new xbone controller has xbox and bluetooth connectivity, that'd be perfect on a Windows box.

If you want something for emulators and such the newest versions of the 8bitdo firmware work amazingly, even on Macs.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
An Xbox 360 controller with the wireless receiver. It works all the time.

It even works in Kodi.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Steam controller and xbox (360/one) will cover everything.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The OP specifically set her budget low enough to not be able to afford a proper controller like an Xbox/Xbone one. You should respect that.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

td4guy posted:

The OP specifically set her budget low enough to not be able to afford a proper controller like an Xbox/Xbone one. You should respect that.

That's why I suggested 360, easily available on the used market. You can open them up with a flathead, which usefully tends to break the centre pin in the security torx bit, so then it can be readily opened and reassembled with a standard torx bit. I only mention that because it's nice to clean a used controller completely.

Of course, if it's a wireless one, you need the wireless adapter, which does bump the price a bit. As mentioned, the Xbox One controller can also use bluetooth, if that's something his PC has already, but I have found bluetooth to be pretty flaky (on a DS4, haven't tried it with a One controller) in comparison to the dedicated adapters.

The wired 360 controller can be had new for $30.

Yeah, they aren't festooned with buttons, but an xinput controller (especially a decent quality one, not a knock off) is going to give the slickest experience, so it's kind of hard to recommend anything else; especially on a budget where you don't want to end up buying another controller because the first one sucked.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 27, 2017

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

td4guy posted:

Go back and re-read the op, I'm asking for a rec on a good budget controller. Then think about why I'm asking for a budget one specifically. I like some gaming, but it's not of paramount importance, and I don't have a lot of money to commit to it.

Sounds like the 360 controller is the best of the bunch. Car battery is dying and my bike popped a spoke, so it'll be this lovely old ps2 controller for a while longer yet

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I bought a set of used wireless 360 controllers a while ago to play with friends on the big screen. As mentioned, you can disassemble them easily to clean before first use, they take regular AA batteries, and work perfectly with a cheap ebay wireless receiver. I still haven't used them for the intended purpose because I have no friends, but I think that's a good solution for your need.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

If you go the 360 controller route, grab a can of your favorite Pringles before cleaning it

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Fix-the-d-pad-on-the-Xbox-360-control-pad-mor/?ALLSTEPS

It's been my favorite D-pad ever since

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is there a way to use playstation 3/4 controllers on a PC without downloading shady chinese third party programs? Last time I looked into it years ago there was only one option, and besides being barely functional I'm sure it was a thinly veiled keylogger / malware distribution platform.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Is there a way to use playstation 3/4 controllers on a PC without downloading shady chinese third party programs? Last time I looked into it years ago there was only one option, and besides being barely functional I'm sure it was a thinly veiled keylogger / malware distribution platform.

Plugging in a PS4 controller via USB makes it show up as a standard Direct Input controller, which works for many/most games, and you can run http://ds4windows.com/ (free, open source) as an XInput emulation shim for it if need be.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
The PS4/3 controllers gave me a headache in quite a few games and eventually ds42windows started working only half the time. Xbox controller just turns on and works with no fuckery involved in getting the correct icons in button prompts etc.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

The Microsoft controllers pretty much have the widest range of support and aren't that expensive unless you go wireless. The wired Xbox One Controller does use the shittiest connection method (micro-USB) and mine disconnects from time to time.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

halokiller posted:

The Microsoft controllers pretty much have the widest range of support and aren't that expensive unless you go wireless. The wired Xbox One Controller does use the shittiest connection method (micro-USB) and mine disconnects from time to time.

The wired Xbox 360 one is hard wired in, and I never had it disconnect (although I use wireless ones now, which have also been 100% reliable). I can understand why the switched to simply having one model of controller with a microUSB port, though; saves them some money, and it is nice to be able to replace the cable if it goes wrong. Maybe they could have worked in some kind of special retention mechanism, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Wired 360 controller is definitely best for general use. Most compatibility, decent quality, and you should be able to find them cheap at this point.

It's essentially impossible for anything to compete with the console controllers at their price point, because they're being produced on a completely different scale from their competitors and have a ton more put into their design as a result.

• Locked thread