Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Knight Saber.
Priss
Sylia
Nene
Linna
View Results

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Anime Encyclopedia posted:

BUBBLEGUM CRISIS * 1987. Video, TV series. DIR: Katsuhito Akiyama, Hiroki Hayashi. SCR: Toshimichi Suzuki, Hidetoshi Yoshida, Arii Emu. DES: Kenichi Sonoda, Shinji Makino. ANI: Masahiro Tanaka, Jun Okuda. MUS: Koji Makaino. PRD: Artmic, Youmex, AIC. 47 mins., 28 mins., 26 mins., 38 mins., 43 mins., 50 mins., 49 mins., 50 mins. (v1), 25 mins. x 2 eps. (v2), 45 mins. x 3 eps. (Crash), 25 mins. x 24 eps. (TV), 25 mins. x 2 (v3).

In the postquake city of Megatokyo, sentient robots, or “boomers,” are a part of everyday life, but these androids can be used for evil as well as good. Sylia Stingray fights a private war with the evil corporation that murdered her scientist father (inventor of the voomers). With her “Knight Saber” companions Priss, Linna, and Nene and their powerful “hard-suit” armor, they attempt to prevent the Genom Corporation from seizing control of the world with boomer agents.

A fan favorite in its day, BGC was one of the earliest openly Japanese anime to reach the West (as opposed to “invisible” kiddie cartoons), in a subtitled edition from AnimEigo. With babes in battlesuits designed by GUNSMITH CATS’ Sonoda and a sprawling high-tech cityscape, the retention of Japanese dialogue caught the oriental flavor of the cyberpunk zeitgeist, and, it should be said, blinded the audience to the show’s flaws: variable animation quality, cheesy rock music, steals from Hollywood (particularly Robocop, Streets of Fire, and Blade Runner), and the camp Buckaroo Banzai pop-star-as-crime-fighter conceit. Though still well-regarded to this day, a lot of the series’ popularity seems to stem from the hazy memories of old-school fans, who were grateful in the early days that anything was translated at all, so much the better if it was science fiction.

In 1988, the voice actresses shot the concert videos Hurricane Live 2032 and Hurricane Live 2033, featuring a mix of live-action and (mostly reused) animated footage over music. HL 2032 included a new song over a new, not previously released animated video, which illustrated Sylia’s recruitment of the other Knight Sabers. This was followed by Bye ² Knight Sabers: Holiday in Bali, featuring two scenes of the voice actresses in character in a group, plus one mini-interview and music video of each, and one ensemble music video, all using Bali as a backdrop. Three final episodes appeared the following year, directed by Hiroshi Ishiodori and Hiroyuki Fukushima and called, owing to a split between Artmic and Youmex, Bubblegum Crash. In these episodes, the Sabers have gone their separate ways but reform when an old enemy (guess who?) reappears. The pseudonymous Arii Emu (“REM”) provided the script, but the BGC magic had already faded. It’s true that Crash has its moments (particularly the arrival of little-robot-lost Adama, who turns out to be an ingenue-assassin), but its vision of the future has aged quite badly. The punks and techno music that would have impressed the Terminator generation look out of place, as do the chunky mobile phones. There are moments in Crash when the robot-slave-society spins into some really interesting ideas, but much of it is marred by the ridiculously contrived team of female vigilantes and lame attempts at humor.

A more stylistically successful version of the franchise appeared in AD POLICE, which focused on the early years of supporting character Leon McNicol, but it only lasted for three episodes. A plan was briefly mooted for a video special about the Knight Sabers off-duty— when it was canceled, the proposal was heavily rewritten and eventually filmed as TENCHI MUYO.

That's right, on February 25, 1987, the very first episode of Bubblegum Crisis was released. Looking at it today it's no wonder why it was such a beloved series in the west when it originally came out; between the easy to digest setting with lots of western sci-fi trappings and nods, given what type of nerd tended to be into anime in those days the execution would have to be outright terrible for it to not build a fanbase. And a fair number of fans still carry a torch for it. After all, a kickstarter to bring over the blu-rays wound up raising a decent amount of cash. It's far from the most enduring anime out there but hell, if you've seen it you have a good idea why it has retained some fans throughout the years.

If you haven't seen it before, why not pick today to finally check out it? The writing/consistency can get inconsistent but personally, I consider it a side effect of how it was created. With a different director for almost every episode (to say nothing of how there's a different soundtrack for every single episode!), the lack of consistency is made up for with a distinct difference in style. The violent, conglomerate-ruled city of Megatokyo might be the backdrop for the series but the way it's framed changes on a per episode basis. It doesn't change as wildly as Space Dandy did between each episode, but this sort of thing is all too rare in anime and in my book that alone makes it worth checking out! (And there are also girls in power armor that fight crime using awesome weapons while cool punkish j-pop plays, I guess)

Or hell, just watch the opening of the first episode, in which a concert is inter-cut with scenes of police getting wrecked by a single robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRKWUY9DCco

Happy 30th, Bubblegum Crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Admittedly, I have not watched Bubblegum Crisis, but I can appreciate it for what it was. Thanks for the writeup Srice.

Also the hardsuits have really cool designs.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Still my favorite anime, even after all this time.

I think I'll spend the rest of the weekend doing a rewatch.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Check out the trailer for Futurescape, which would have been a Westernization along the lines of Robotech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra5SG60fSx0

"Anime Nostalgia posted:

an amusing & genuinely interesting time capsule of what some executives thought would be appealing to anime fans in the English-speaking world. If you watch the trailer, there’s a few things that go unchanged: Genom is still mentioned by name. The music from the series plays unaltered throughout. Priss (though not mentioned by name) is still a rock singer. But the tone of the story described in the English narration feels like a much different one. Where Bubblegum Crisis’ Knight Sabers were a mercenary team that’d take any job for the right price, FutureScape’s “Night Saviors” were advertised as “Four girls who will accept no money in their never ending battle against the Boomers!“ Fans familiar with Bubblegum Crisis and the Knight Saber mercenary group that were mostly motivated by revenge would probably have been a little more than shocked to see them instead portrayed as a super-heroine team fighting for “freedom and justice” under the new name of “The Night Saviors”. And while GAGA was trying to sell these titles as subtitled Japanese shows, they also tried to strip out as many Japanese elements as possible, hoping to make an easier sell to American companies. MegaTokyo is now just a nameless futuristic city backdrop, and none of the characters are given names–possibly leaving that open to whoever wanted to buy this new version to decide.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I realised on seeing this thread that I've never actually watched all of BGC, just the first 4 or so episodes I think, and should rectify that soon.
That said I think I pretty much wore the tape out on the VHS copy of the first episode I had as a kid.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
BGC is alright. I think many older anime fans have nostalgia goggles on in regards to it. Just...don't watch any of the associated series. They are all bad

Relin fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 25, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Some VHS tape labels to make your collections look nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

a kitten posted:

Some VHS tape labels to make your collections look nice.

Hey, that second one is Dirty Pair!
(Which is great, so I'm not complaining...)

• Locked thread