Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LonsomeSon posted:

Lead remains perfectly fine for wiring throughout most of your bases, except for really hot zones, it’s great.

It's a brilliant material to use, absolutely. It's just one of those things that can also cause a failure cascade when something screws up and starts boiling your base and now all your wires have melted and most of your tools to fix the situation are no longer accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

LonsomeSon posted:

Lead remains perfectly fine for wiring throughout most of your bases, except for really hot zones, it’s great.

In terms of conveyor rails, you can run a central trunk line with filters coming off it to cut back on redundancy somewhat but the cost of full mechanization is just an incredible amount of metal: every origin point needs a sweeper, a loader, and conveyor line, and every receiver needs the same but either a solid vent or one of those supplier thingamajigs instead of the loader. Sensors and automation wiring as appropriate, plus power lines, etc.

The solution is to find more raw and refined metal basically, sorry.

centralization of inputs and outputs is my next restructuring project. I have a general dumping ground near the base but have multiple loaders and unique lines running to the consumers. I think using a filter to pull out coal but then go to multiple receptacles at each location. should save on both rails but also simplify the overall network

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

For large conveyor belt systems, I wish the filters looked very different. It should be easier to see how the rails behind a filter are hooked up so I can see if I accidentally bridged the two outputs. And for many buildings with a filter setting it should be visible in the game viewport what it's set to, like the new storage tiles, rather than only in the building's selection popup.

Dirk the Average posted:

It's a brilliant material to use, absolutely. It's just one of those things that can also cause a failure cascade when something screws up and starts boiling your base and now all your wires have melted and most of your tools to fix the situation are no longer accessible.

This is funny; how did large parts of your base reach lead's 327C melting point?

I know that the meta is to enclose a living area in insulated tiles, make an exit with an atmo suit checkpoint, and let the rest of the map boil. But are there any other players who prefer to just keep the entire map at a livable temperature?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

dividertabs posted:

For large conveyor belt systems, I wish the filters looked very different. It should be easier to see how the rails behind a filter are hooked up so I can see if I accidentally bridged the two outputs. And for many buildings with a filter setting it should be visible in the game viewport what it's set to, like the new storage tiles, rather than only in the building's selection popup.

This is funny; how did large parts of your base reach lead's 327C melting point?

I know that the meta is to enclose a living area in insulated tiles, make an exit with an atmo suit checkpoint, and let the rest of the map boil. But are there any other players who prefer to just keep the entire map at a livable temperature?

I do exactly that, I like the idea of "taming" the entire asteroid.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

dividertabs posted:

But are there any other players who prefer to just keep the entire map at a livable temperature?
Yeah but mostly out of laziness. It usually takes no effort to let most of the non-oil-biome sit at 30-50C.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

dividertabs posted:

All you need to do is mine the wrong thing over an hole that goes down to the lava core and half a ton of gaseous lead at over 1000C could be yours!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I stop regulating temperature or caring about general atmospheric composition once I have my habitation unit and the farm blocks sealed up, but yeah I’ve never gotten it hot enough to melt lead wiring outside of steam and magma chambers. Maybe during a rocket launch when the exhaust is still all built up? You should really only be getting that if you breach something by mistake, or have like a magma tile touching a gas tile for awhile.

Main problem with using lead for non-wires is your conveyor loaders or whatever breaking down because they overheat at like 50 degrees.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

dividertabs posted:

Never underestimate the power of a dupe to bring in very hot rocks where they shouldn't. It's less of an actual issue and more of a theoretical one - when things go sideways, lead can make them go REALLY sideways. But generally it's very safe, and I do use it extensively and phase it out only when I'm more or less at post-scarcity.

I do tend to enclose my living and working areas to silo them off from the rest of the world. I also enjoy making the entire rest of the map livable with some spare aquatuning capacity once the resources are available.

Of course, in the long, long term, the goal is to vacuum out everything that you're not using just to reduce the amount of processing required to run the map.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
There’s another, quite blasphemous, way to deal with late game CPU load.

Don’t dig out tiles you don’t need to.

That’s right. I said it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That’s right. I said it.

It appears that you have attempted to write something here, but I am unable to understand it. I think it was something along the lines of "mine out everything always and drat the consequences?" Please clarify.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
On a more serious note, it does kind of seem to me that people who say “it’s the gas calculations” may be right, and if you fill in areas you don’t need after digging them out things get noticeably smoother. I think you get something like 800kg of granite when you dig a grid, and a tile only costs 200kg to build.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That’s right. I said it.

:frogout:

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

There can be no rest until the galaxy is broken down and sorted into boxes

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
ok I've got some super coolant and thermium. which is clearly what I need to make liquid hydrogen and oxygen. at the moment I'm using the little bit of coolant to make a better cooling system for the base with granular controls for both the plants and base itself

I have about 5 tamed poke shells and like 10 wild ones in a pit. I made the mistake of combining with hatch room. so now I gotta clear that up

I'm nearly done with the telescope and after I get the fuel can pretty much wrap up this colony. great timing too with the holidays coming up

when I get back I look forward to fumbling around again when I run into the new mechanics from Spaced Out. there's like radiation now? that seems bad

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

You launched a base game rocket? I'm so sorry. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Radiation isn't a big deal until you start playing with (nuclear) fire, and rocketry is so much more fun that it more than makes up for it.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

oh jay posted:

You launched a base game rocket? I'm so sorry. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Radiation isn't a big deal until you start playing with (nuclear) fire, and rocketry is so much more fun that it more than makes up for it.

many in fact. Rocketry is kinda boring but obvy they blew it out in the dlc

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It was a huge pain in the rear end and never really reliable, but I did enjoy making liquid oxygen for base game rockets without using complex space materials.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I don't think you actually need thermium, just super coolant? Thermium will make things more efficient since you can use the higher temperatures for other processes, but all you really need is a coolant that can get cold enough.

Re: Melting lead, it's something I've started doing on purpose for petroleum boilers etc. - its density means you can stuff about 11 tons of liquid lead onto a single tile, making it a tremendous heat buffer for things that benefit from stable temperatures. Actually liquefying it is another issue entirely, since you still need some medium to transfer heat to it, but a decent sized pool of oil/petroleum seems to do the trick as long as you don't accidentally flash it to sour gas by dropping 40 tons of 1300 degree magma rock into it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

nrook posted:

It was a huge pain in the rear end and never really reliable, but I did enjoy making liquid oxygen for base game rockets without using complex space materials.
Yeah this was a fun challenge. Only time I ever used a thermo regulator.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I use them occasionally to make the single frozen tile of chlorine food store. They tend not to need to cool too much, so you can just stick them near a water tank with some shift plates and they will be fine. Now, freshener spice and a fridge do good enough that I don't bother, and they've added a dehydrator/rehydrator as another alternative.

E: Oh, and a battery of 8 of them to make a pre-space sour gas boiler. Also fun and not worth the effort.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xerol posted:

I don't think you actually need thermium, just super coolant? Thermium will make things more efficient since you can use the higher temperatures for other processes, but all you really need is a coolant that can get cold enough.

You need thermium for some of the crazier projects where things need to get really hot, but for anything that's going to be "normal" amounts of hot, steel is sufficient.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

The only use I really have for thermium is as an aquatuner for a controllable 500C+ heat source, or just a replacement for steel when you're used up all the environmental lime. For making lOx, as long as you use steel for the radiant pipes and lots of patience, it's not a bad project. getting it to condense and be stable is a good exercise in thermal control cos hydrogen can be a right bastard in comparison, even with space materials. The temperature window is tiny, and the risk of it blowing out the pipes o the way to the rocket is high.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You need thermium for some of the crazier projects where things need to get really hot, but for anything that's going to be "normal" amounts of hot, steel is sufficient.

Yeah I meant specifically for liquid rocket fuels, you could probably get away with a gold aquatuner even.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yep! I booted up my ancient save just now since I was curious, and the setup was just a bunch of thermo regulators cooling hydrogen, then sending it into an oxygen chamber. It was built around an AETN to deal with cooling the loose gas (also hydrogen, of course) in the thermo regulator room. To make sure the liquid oxygen didn't heat up on its way to the rocket, I used hope.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nrook posted:

To make sure the liquid oxygen didn't heat up on its way to the rocket, I used hope.

ceramic insulated pipes in a loop with a constant flow. never not circulate your liquid oxygen/hydrogen

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
and we're back. so I took an hour or so trying to remember what I was even doing and realized that I had janked up all my aqua tuners and how the bypass works. I didn't fully grok how joining from bridges worked. more specifically what gets priority. so I've been fixing my cooking system and now everything dropped in temp rapidly in a good way

so I think I'm nearly ready for liquid fuels just need to carve out a reservoir for each type and get it going. I scoped out the dimensional tear and just need to wrap this up

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I just picked up Spaced Out for the winter sale, so I'm thinking of restarting. Is there anything different in the pre-space game? If I haven't already built any rockets, do I even need to restart?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Spaced out has different starts, on a much smaller asteroid with the intention for you to run permanent populations in multiple locations, starting with your first two asteroids (linked by teleporters you’ll have to find).

Several pre-space things have changed a little, and some are very different.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
You definitely need to restart for Spaced Out. Everyone prefers different starts but I like Spaced Out since the smaller starting asteroid puts you closer to space, so it's more feasible to set up your first power plant where gasses will vent naturally. It totally changes how spaceflight works, so you can't boot up a base game run and have all the features.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Would y'all consider 52B a spoiler? It's right there in the Database, which is how I first found out about it. But I feel it would have been neater to run into it without any prior knowledge.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

dividertabs posted:

Would y'all consider 52B a spoiler? It's right there in the Database, which is how I first found out about it. But I feel it would have been neater to run into it without any prior knowledge.

I have 300 hours in the game and don't know what that is. Combined with that and

quote:

I feel it would have been neater to run into it without any prior knowledge.

I would say don't spoil it.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Sokani posted:

I would say don't spoil it.

Wasn’t planning to; it is just a discussion question.

And to avert disappointment, it’s not that huge a thing, just a little neat, and it is DLC only.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Gas reservoirs now hold almost 7x as much gas. Plus there are a few more critter-related buildings.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The critter pick ups and drop offs seemingly make Puft ranching doable for people who aren't psychopaths. May actually try it for the first time.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Klei is going back to developing paid DLC, instead of the plan they had to have paid cosmetics fund development, which never really went anywhere.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/154522-oxygen-not-included-february-2024-roadmap/

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Good. I'll gladly pay for more content, I'm not going to buy cosmetics for ONI.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I hope they eventually make older dlc free so they can make them requirements for later dlc, thus fleshing out what they can do. Maybe have two or three paid dlc available with any older than those being free.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm a little scared of them going full Don't Starve and the same thing behaiving differently depending on what permutation of DLCs you have installed.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I wasn't expecting this much sour gas to be trapped in that geode...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

How much did it compress the start-state atmosphere by?