Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
There's some nuclear waste pooling between my radbolt generator and materials lab. I have nothing but shine bugs, breezeworts, and radiation lamps there, so I'm a bit confused how the nuclear waste got created to begin with. I haven't even unlocked research reactors or any of the other ways the wiki says can drop them.

Do radbolt generators drop nuclear waste if they lose power? If the radbolt hits a duplicant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Hot water that goes into feeding plants magically disappears without conducting heat, right?

Like if my plants are thirsty and I have perfectly insulated water pipes then sending near-boiling water is better if my goal is to overall cool things down

Is this also true of dirt and such?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Akratic Method posted:

Speaking of cooling, does ice not really absorb heat effectively? One thing I tried to do to cool/replenish a body of water at one point was collect ice from a cold zone and send it back to a storage container that was located underwater. That didn't really do anything, so ok, sure, container is insulated or whatever. But then if I restrict the container to not allow ice, the ice is just sitting in the water, and it's like 3000kg, but is achingly slow to melt or even warm.

Is there a good way to melt ice to get more water? If not, how do you get more once you've used up the couple ponds near the start site? The supercomputer actually eats water instead of using it as coolant, so if I want to complete the research tree I'll eventually need more.

(I'm newish and terrible at this game, so if this is an exceedingly dumb question, no you didn't misunderstand, it's really that dumb.)
Items sitting on the ground or in storage aren't very good at conducting heat. You can make it spread a bit faster with a heat spreader plate (granite probably) and a metal tile.

But also I think the quantity of ice is independent of the heat transfer rate. Your 3t of ice is enough to fill 3 full tiles of water when it melts. So it's gonna warm up (in degrees) very slowly compared to if you only had 50kg, but the amount of heat going into it is basically the same. You could potentially exploit this via multiple storage containers with small limits.

You can rapidly melt the ice if you build an ice fan, but that requires some labor.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Dezinus posted:

I used to build tempshift plates out of ice to cool places (they will quickly melt to water), though I can't remember if that keeps the whole mass of the ice intact through the phase change. For a whole water tank's worth of heat it might take a lot of building, though.
I can confirm that you lose no mass when melting ice this way.

The only way to lose mass is by letting so much debris end up in a single tile that it turns into a block; whenever you mine a block half the mass disappears into thin air.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

So after setting up a giant pacu and crab farm to grind out egg shells trying to get enough steel to build some interesting things, I've finally learned about...

fossil

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Panty Saluter posted:

I've been looking at attic fans for my actual house and also wondering about the practicality of a water cooling loop to remove heat from the attic. ONI has rotted my brain
You could put radiators in your attic and run the water to your swimming pool, cooling your attic and heating your pool

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Would my pajama dupes in well-lit beds make dream journals faster?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Panty Saluter posted:

Are they nyctophobic?
Is that required? My plan was just to make them unhappy

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Unrelated, is there anything at all you can do with natural gas besides create power (and I suppose a trickle of pwater and CO2) and cook? I can’t think of any.
Nope!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Space vent it is, then!
Though I will note the wiki suggests an interesting use of Natural Gas Generators as a heat source in a steam turbine (the polluted water they excrete will instantly boil too, purifying it)

Because of math rounding errors, the polluted water released that instantly boils will not release any dirt either (as less than 1g can't exist).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Mayveena posted:

Hey folks I've been following Magnet's ONI playlist https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlhN4dECgNlAiXIRKbXn4YbUJ49CunFsN&si=4HNXMg6Wg0Hxow_8

Thing is, my base is kind of overheating now as the mealwood is too hot (86F) to grow. What to do? I just found the ice biome if that matters.

Any help much appreciated!
Think of the game as a bit of a slowly ticking timer with a few phases of challenges. Most require researching, building, and exploring.

1) Make food before the starting and "free" (hexalent) food runs out. Mealwood is easiest, about 3 plants per dupe.

2) Make oxygen before the starting oxylite disappears. Oxygen diffuser with algae is easiest, though water->electrolyzer is more sustainable.

3) Deal with any toxic waste building up; setup a plumbing loop to purify water, scrub CO2 building up at the bottom of the base, and harvest hydrogen gas building up at the top.

After this point the game slows down and stabilizes a bit, with less immediate pressures threatening collapse. You can go more slowly and research a ton of techs, for instance. You can also build more industry (refining metal, power plants)

4) As you build industry, deal with waste heat. Digging into the cold biome and finding a way to pipe heat there will last you a long time. Insulating away the hot parts of the map helps too.

Throughout you can adapt your designs to run more efficiently in various ways, including fully automating some tasks through conveyor rails and sensors if you like. Your dupes will also get better at their jobs through skills, move through your base quicker, etc.

Eventually, some resource may run low. There are exotic biomes with usable resources but other tradeoffs (germs, extreme heat, toxic gasses). There are also various renewable resources (geysers, volcanos, etc), as well as weird production chains you can setup to produce something (eg coal becomes renewable via hatch ranching).

The game keeps rewarding exploration and tweaking designs, right up to the end game when you're exploring deep space and unlocking other techs or bringing back space supplies.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Dunno-Lars posted:

Just to make it clear, ice biomes do not produce any cold or chill. It is cold and once you pump enough heat into it, it won't cool down again. Seen some people who think ice biomes make more cold. It's a finite heat sink.
The wheezewort plants there do generate negative heat, but you can move those elsewhere. Aside from helping magic away some heat, they're a very convenient source of controlled "free" radiation, which is useful for a radbolt generator or even degerming a wastewater tank.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Mayveena posted:

One note: I'm on the No Sweat version so everything happens more slowly than in a normal game. Just want to figure out how to do stuff without having to constantly restart.
No Sweat mode is interesting, as it makes all the implied timers slower - dupes use less oxygen, eat less food, etc. The other systems in the game work the same; there's just as many germs, they're just less likely to make the dupes sick.

The "heat" timer, however, functions similarly - the same as crops fail at the same temperature - though you do have less resource pressure forcing you to expand to hotter areas of the map.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Some unintuitive physics that becomes very relevant in this game: water carries a lot of heat.

Like, 2 liters of boiling water is more embedded heat vs room temperature than a liter of molten steel, even though the steel is about a thousand degrees hotter.

And, conversely, a relatively small amount of cold water can cool down a lot of things. It's just a fantastic radiator fluid all around, unless you need something colder than 0 or hotter than 100.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

minema posted:

This is my second colony attempt (first one had some breathing issues much earlier) on Cycle 100.
I have a bad habit of being overly meticulous when I play games like this. Here's my colony at 100 - with maybe 2/3 or more of my time in game spent paused.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I'm trying to make a "double steam" geyser engine. One geyser is hot (500 degree) and located in a cold biome, the other is a cold geyser (110 degree) and located in the oil biome.

The problem I'm having is that despite the corridor around the hot geyser being encased in insulated ceramic tile, somehow the 500 degree steam is getting to be less than 125 degrees by the time it hits the engine, and it thus never starts pumping. The new 500 degree steam can't release as there's too much pressure near the top, even though the steam there is a good 400 degrees or so.

Am I on the right track with my dig-outs and double-walling plans here? Or do I need some sort of heat piping like more ladder? Or am I losing heat some other way -- does the "cold" steam merge only inside the engine, or does it affect the other chamber somehow?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I iterated on it a bit with obsidian ladders and added an aquatuner to inject some heat into the cold end. The heat is piping better (and we are losing way less to the surrounding biome through the 2x insulated ceramic).

Now there's a new problem -- the hot steam geyser on the left is overpressure at the same time as the engine tile is at vaccuum. I was naively expecting hot gas to move with somewhat reasonable speed down a 2-wide shaft (there is only steam in there), but apparently that's not the case.

Strangely the smaller steam vent seems to have no problems with pressure -- confusingly it's even up to 15kg on the intake steam tiles and still venting somehow.

Does steam just really want to travel up rather than down and to the side?

I think long-term I should make it 3-wide, add another engine, and let the two chambers mix. Though if I do that at some point only the hot geyser will be on and it'll overheat the aquatuner even when it's off unless I inject some output water.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Xerol posted:

Making it wider just gives the hot steam a little more room to spread out but probably won't solve the problem. What might work is putting the turbine entirely on the hot side and then pumping cool steam across to bring the temperature down (I'd probably vent it on the bottom left of the lower level to give the hot steam a bit of a push towards the turbine). Although you might end up melting a high pressure gas vent so you might have to resort to tricks like putting a metal vent in a tiny blob of liquid so it doesn't overpressurize the vent.
What temperature do high pressure vents melt at?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Xerol posted:

The lower vent is probably still erupting because there's water in the base tile and since cool steam comes out so, well, cool, it's condensing briefly. Since the game checks the tile 2 up and 1 right of the bottom left neutronium tile for pressure, it's seeing that water condense and immediately drop down into the tile below, so there's no pressure in the checked tile and it can keep erupting.
IIRC it was erupting when the water was 2 high as well.

If I coat the hot geyser in a 2-high pool of petroleum would it erupt into the liquid, similar to how a regular gas vent in a liquid works?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

OzyMandrill posted:

I have a natural gas geyser badly sealed with hydrogen and pox in the room, and it behaves like infinite storage and doesn't overpressure. Might be able to do similar if you can get hydrogen, oxygen, p.ox maybe?
My guess is that works because the polluted oxygen is below the natural gas and sitting on the base where the vent hole is, so it can always find a tile to vent to (and then promptly sink away).

Since vents look for a 3x3 square to vent to, and one of those always has polluted oxygen <5k, I guess it works.

In this setup though I'd have to avoid having the polluted oxygen sink to the steam chamber, so I'd need to trap it with a tile or two. Then the steam would go up, right, down, and right again. I'll give it a try maybe.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Xerol posted:

In the short term I plan on digging to the right a bit in the magma room so that the last tile is small enough to turn into debris instead of a tile when it freezes, and reroute the conveyor rail so that's the first tile the cold (still 800C) diamond hits, and set up a sweeper to send the debris into the steam room to extract as much energy as possible out of it.
Aren't liquids extremely good at conducting heat with eachother? Won't the magma all freeze at about the same time?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Xerol posted:

This is why the plan involves only running through one tile of the smallest amount. Magma is very viscous so regardless of conductivity it doesn't move very fast, meaning once I clear out a few tiles I can just drip controlled amounts of magma down and only be dealing with one ~150kg blob of it at a time. And turn it all into debris instead of tiles that I'd lose half the mass (and heat) digging out.
How do you do the dripping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

If you care about conserving magma why not dig out the volcano sooner?