Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

LonsomeSon posted:

I started a game on that seed when I got home from work last night and made it until about cycle 40. The cold is loving nuts, I have an insulated farm room containing two large dumb batteries, two space heaters, and 18 farm plots for mealwood which has gotten up to a mean temperature of 3C and change.

Fortunately bristle will grow at 5C, and I've had oxygen diffusers running on the barracks floor directly below the printer room and on the printer room floor, so those two rooms are the warmest spots at about 7C for the printer-lit farm and 12-13C for the barracks.

I've found using a liquid tepidizer (on it's own dedicated coal gen circuit) to heat up my water tank to 15 C or so, then piping that water over my farm works very well to keep it warm enough to grow plants at. If you're growing bristles, then the water's already being used anyways.

Faldoncow fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Your screenshot looks generally ok, but I notice one mistake. On the right side transformer, you are running heavy watt wire off it and then connecting regular wire to the heavy watt. There's no point using the transformer if you want to run heavy watt wire, and if you want to use the transformer to protect a circuit, you'll want to run regular wire only.

Basically, each wire type has a maximum safe Wattage. For standard wire this is 1000 W, for heavy watt wire it's 20,000 W. Having the total Wattage drawn by active machinery on a regular wire circuit exceed that 1000 W limit will cause circuit damage. Additionally, Heavy Watt wire is a massive decor loss. It's best to keep that stuff contained to the power room, and out of sight.

So
a) Use regular wire for circuits, but keep the connected machinery below 1000 W. Make multiple separate small circuits
b) Use heavy watt wire to run power close to these circuits from your power plant, and use transformers to step down from heavy watt wire -> regular wire

Started a new game on the test branch, and everytime I use the Harvest tool to select plants to harvest the game locks up for 2-3 seconds. Couldn't figure out the issue, until I noticed this: 116 Arbor trees spawned on the same tile at map gen.

This also explains how my dupes have harvested 45 tonnes of lumber by cycle 20.

Faldoncow fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 19, 2019

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
I'm not sure how/why, but I appear to have generated a map with 0 salt block spawns...not even in the ocean biome. Was planning to use the rust deoxidizer, but this is going to make it tricky.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
I would love that so much. Just give them a net that they can run around scopping gas up in...I hate having a teensy bit of chlorine floating around somewhere.

Speaking of, I'm really liking this Rust Deoxidizer. Doesn't really need a gas pump early on, if you have Saltvine it's trivial to manage the chlorine output, and it only takes 60 W of power making it a joke to power at the start. A single smallish salt vein in a rust biome gave me 4750 kg or so, which is about 5.2 hours of non-stop running of the Deoxidizer. It's so much simpler to set up then the Electrolyzer...almost too much easier.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
I'd go in blind for a bit to start with at least, to have fun figuring out some stuff on your own. If you're really confused or struggling, ask for advice in the thread. There is a lot of somewhat opaque objects and gameplay, so eventually watching some youtube videos or getting more detailed info will be useful.

The only 2 bits of advice I'd give to a starting player are
a) Press F11 to see the rooms overlay. Rooms are enclosed areas (doors count as enclosing) that give morale bonuses if you meet the rooms requirements.
b) Your people (dupes) will need toilets + sinks otherwise they'll make messes all over. Prioritze getting an outhouse up quickly.

Everything else can be experimented with as you go.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

quote:

Rust Deoxydizer outputs chlorine in gas form

Ugh, this one is going to be a pain I bet. I kind of liked the chlorine being liquid initially...made it easy to 'catch' it.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Well, due note that Mazz is on cycle 1094 in that screenshot and spent a lot of time fine tuning and perfecting the base. Also, Mazz has some pretty good and well thought out designs...My smelting has evolved slightly, but the root design is based off of Mazz's smelting setup.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
I decided to try something a bit different with my oxygen generation this run, but so far it's been working quite well.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Flesh Forge posted:

I feel like Arboria is a harder long run map than people give it credit for because no gold amalgam = no high temp material until you make steel, I'm getting to that point in my game where I'd like to try some of the more advanced things and hmm, no, I have no idea how to cool that/keep it from overheating :shrug:

I have a big boy power grid now but I'm a little stumped as to how to start messing with the telescope/planetarium stuff because it all starts requiring high heat tolerance, more power, more fuel etc. You kind of have to learn and implement a lot of different poo poo all at once, seems like. We're on like cycle 450 and just barely starting to have a lot of clean cool water and just now getting enough bristle berry seeds to get away from 24/7 mealwood. I am very sure I'm playing really slow compared to an experienced player and that doesn't bother me, it's just getting to that point where I have no idea how to make the more complex stuff. For steel do I need to be ranching pokeshells or .... :shrug:

Pre-space materials, the only thing I need high temp material for is Aquatuners, and even they benefit a lot from using steel over gold so skipping gold on Arboria hasn't hurt too much. I've built my smelter area in a cold biome, and just use the passive cold temp to keep the machinery cool while using polluted water as coolant fluid and dumping the 60 C + waste water into a insulated holding tank (No clue what I'll do with it, but whatever). This got me 2-3k steel and let me build my geothermal plant (needed 1x steel aquatuner, and a few steel bits like a water tank or gas pump). It's been a bit of a pain not having gold for just lazy 'high enough temp' machinery, but honestly just rushing a bit of steel on a crude setup isn't too difficult or worrisome. Once you can build a steel aquatuner, building a aquatuner + steam turbine cooling setup is easy enough, and can use that to cool your smelting facility and expand it as needed.

For getting the materials for steel, well iron is easy enough. Refined Carbon is easy to make from the Kiln, although you need a lot less of it then you might expect; a single craft makes 100kg and steel only takes 20k per. For Lime which is the only real challenging material to get, the easiest thing I've found is just making a few Atmo suits and send some dupes into the oil biome to harvest Fossil. That can be pulverized into Lime and is often the easiest way early on to get some initial steel going.

Faldoncow fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 22, 2019

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

I put effort into cleaning out all the loose material as I sealed up each section, yet somehow random igneous rock appeared in the steam section. Frustrating. I think I may have accidentally added a tiny amount of polluted water when adding the water.

I've also been trying to design a more interesting Space Scanner setup, and the fact that Robo-Miner's can't be mirrored is maddening.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Mazz posted:

There’s the odd chance that magma got trapped behind the tiles on the bottom as you built over the magma then got cooled and ejected upwards to the only free space available. Very rarely you’ll find liquid behind a tile like that when you deconstruct.

How did you do the gas separation, vacuum the whole space then build each room seperately? Your entryway on top makes me interested; I feel like you would’ve had issues keeping hydrogen pressure up. Also keeping that cooling steam chamber free of hydrogen, although the gravity would work to seperate the steam/hydrogen once the water boiled.

What’s the temp sensor at? 200C?

Ya, I'm guessing it's this. To get the full shape the way I wanted against the magma, a few of the tiles were built directly on them, so the chance of a teensy bit of magma being there would make sense. The odd thing is that the igneous rock/magma inside the steam chamber never showed up until I added water and created steam.

I built the whole room as with a 1 tile opening for the ladder, and there's a small room above with a water lock and atmo suit dock. Vacuumed out the whole place, then dug out the floor and replaced it with the glass (didn't want to super heat any gasses). Next step was to lay out the rooms, then build the steam chamber and seal it up. At that point, the whole thing is still vacuum and sending some water into the steam room using the existing turbine drains is easy.

Then did the same thing for the cooling steam room: built it, sealed it, and carefully added ~200kg of water using a valve for flow control.It had a bit too much heat to safely use a bottle emptier. Filled all the rest of the place (including outside in the small entranceway) with hydrogen, started it running, then sealed it up and pumped the leftover hydrogen out of the entranceway.

I'm considering now adding an entrance for dupes to go in and tune up the generators, but I think what I'll do for that is add transit tubes in and out to prevent any open access points.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Interesting. There were a few posts where you all were talking about fps and whatnot. Haven't tried it myself, but sounds like the current testing branch has some decent performance improvements.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/112103-new-performance-patch-in-testing-369994/

quote:

Duplicants weren't properly dead while in containers. This fixes them causing crashes from getting sick but also being dead (and in a container). (Still need to figure out what they are doing in containers...)

Faldoncow fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 27, 2019

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Mazz, I missed your question on my Aquatuner cooling room temp sensor. It's set to Green if temp < 250 C (steel aquatuner). The thin oil layer means the temp sensor reacts almost 1:1 with the Aquatuner temperature. I've never actually seen it reach that temperature though, so it's mostly just a safety precaution since I have the room for it, or a way to shut off the system if I need to crack it open for some reason later (I had to rebuild my refinery area cooling block 4x).

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Mazz posted:

Hell if you don't have the ranching skill mod, ranching skill doesn't even do anything but slightly increase the rate at which dupes lullaby incubators.

Does the ranching skill not do what the tooltip says: Increases groom effect duration?

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
I still find it weird how they added a bunch of new medical buildings and medicines and whatnot, while simultaneously nerfing slimelung and disease so hard that none of the new stuff is remotely required.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
I should have marked my fps before this patch, but it definitely feels like the game is running a ton smoother/faster post-patch. Hopefully that is the case and not just my brain betraying me.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Are those valves set to 1g limit?

Alternatively, each loop sees the other as an input, so doesn't know to pick between loop input and hydrogen generator...add a bridge or two to 'lock' the flow direction towards the generator.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

quote:

Critters now queue for ranching while another one is being groomed.

If this means what I think it means, I'm hyped. Nothing more annoying than having to resummon a new critter to groom again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
I'll be a dissenting voice and say that I personally build plumbed lavatories and sinks fairly fast. Cleaning Outhouses and Wash Basins is fairly time consuming and my dupe work hours are precious. Especially after you start pushing out from the initial spawn area, I really don't want a dupe to decide to run back across 1/2 the map to clean the outhouse.

But if you're new to ONI, the time to figure out and build plumbed buildings may be too expensive and better off spent on other projects.