Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I guess wheezeworts are natural gas compressors. I built an oxygen plant from a modified spom design (3 stacked, generator removed to power plant, and the part that matters is that 4 pairs of wheezeworts run up the side).

I pumped in hydrogen from an existing source thinking it would get to, what, 1.8kg/tile pressure? And ended up with 6kg at the bottom of the stack and 20kg at the top.

No liquid blocking the vent, regular vent. I assume higher pressure will give me greater cooling potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just not sure how the gas in front of the vent got to 6k, unless it somehow collapsed back. I knew they moved air up, but wasn't expecting it to compound like that.

I'm not sure if there's any practical consequence to it.

Edit: ahh I see now there was a square of oxygen mixed in there that must have periodically moved in front of the vent, same as the liquid trick. Weird consequences of the gasses not mixing.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 11, 2019

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Accidentally seal off cooling pond around volcano without enough mass of water.

Discover it later with 400? Kg/m^3 steam.

Need the metal now.

Don't have enviro suits yet.

Alright who's the lucky dupe.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I don't really care for things like water locks - even though they don't violate the laws of physics any more than most things in the game.

My dupes make frequent use of the med bay D:

The atmosphere outside the steam room was chlorine which combined with hot steam should be even more interesting but I guess most people don't want that kind of "fun".

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Oh I see. The steam isn't really that immediately dangerous to be worth the hassle imo. I just enjoy the absurdity of some of the situations.

And what's the point of a med bay if you never use it.

Edit: I do occasionally make airlocks with door - gas pump - door when I have set up a gas fractionation column.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 24, 2019

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
You can tell them to mop it up. They'll put it in bottles which you can empty into a bottle emptier.

It needs to be less than a certain amount. I don't remember how much but if it's no longer running, you're almost certainly ok.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

fake edit: STOP MAKING MESSES IN THE COLONY'S WATER SUPPLY

It's a rite of passage. Happy first game!

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Been a while since I played so I'm sure I knew this, but for the same reason chlorine disinfects tank contents, don't pipe or carry contaminated material past clean water tanks.

That took way too long to figure out how it kept getting contaminated. Now it's way over engineered after previous iterations kept failing. Oh well.

I wouldn't mind a pipeline chlorinator that feeds in chlorine gas at a very low rate to remove germs. Not really necessary and a decent setup stimulates that a bit.

Edit: Oh and vending machines are apparently not destructable. I presume an oversight.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 19, 2021

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah to be clear that is with the appropriate skill - the vending machine is the only one I've noticed that still can't be destroyed.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Rescue Toaster posted:

Also my last run by cycle 1000 was laggy as hell, even got to the point where any planets I visited and wasn't really using I'd manually paint over the whole map with 1kg tiles of refined carbon and destroy all the extra debris at the bottom of the map, kill all the critters on other planets, etc... the framerate would be not TOO bad, but the dupes would stand around forever between tasks. The game performance needs massive work still.

One thing to reduce lag is to cut down on the number of possible pathfinding choices. Make enclosures for any animals as small as possible and break unnecessary connections in scaffolding, like from excavations or unused areas. It seems to help anyway. I'm not sure how that compares to doing large debris sweeps.

It is annoying having dupes stand around between tasks but it also seems to mess with the physics in the game. I've noticed the lava droppers in my steam turbines don't work unless I either slow the game down or add more time on the filter gates. I'm sure it must have other effects as well.

Edit: classic oni mistake: accidentally superheating your oxygen lines when doing a refit to cool your living area. Don't absent mindedly build with igneous rock when your dupes have access to volcano output!

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 22, 2022

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
You will find things like geysers unpressurized when you uncover their biome even if you don't find them until late in the game

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I dropped a rover on a completely frozen asteroid with four iron volcanos on it. All I did was uncover the volcanos and I don’t plan on returning with dupes for at least a couple hundred cycles.

Brilliant saving of time and resources or terribly stupid mistake?
Literal tons of free convenient refined iron or congrats on your planet wide steam box?

Guess I’ll see eventually.

Why not both?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm this radbolt collector generates heat and it's annoying to cool in space. Ah well I'll just rebuild it before it gets too hot.

(Several irl days later my radioactive waste storage melts and spills all over my base, which has also been melted through by 2200C magma)

Maybe next time I'll just vent waste gasses past them and into space.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
You can restrict access to individual dupes by setting their access to doors. It's very handy.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
There is an annoying big I had not encountered before. When you change the order of the modules on a rocket, it doesn't always update the pathing and they can get stuck outside. It's easy to fix by switching the order and/or building ladders, which is a relief when both your dupes are stuck outside on lava hell world.

Edit: you can leech the heat out of abyssalite using tempshift plates. I've done that to squeeze a bit of power out of geothermal while volcanoes were inactive. It seems to work but it's not much extra. I don't think that works on abyssalite debris though.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 20, 2022

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Beetas seem to randomly decide they hate one particular dupe and attack them (suited up). Ruby, you are forbidden to go through that door. Last time you did I had to frantically send someone through the teleporter with seconds to spare. Everyone in a beeta world gets a safety buddy from now on.

The interplanetary launchers are fun. Forgot the steel/thermium/glass for a colony you're setting up? No problem, it'll be there shortly. I'm just setting up an automated colony to unpack food shells, feed it for resin, drop the resin into a tungsten volcano tamer set to stay between 130 and 150. Then shoot the products back.

It's a neat and not very finicky.

I will not be taming the niobium volcano. Too finicky for too little benefit. I've already got enough that I don't have to work about losing half when I dig it out.

I suppose I could make a long enough blade to drop packets under its tile threshold into a big tank of water in the cold biome, and keep that pool actively cooled. Worth a shot I guess.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 3, 2022

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’ve seen this happen when the dupe in question was (suited and) inside the beeta area when the game was loaded. A save/restart fixed it for me.

I've heard of that, but this happened in the middle of two different sessions (I have also been getting "fleeing" alerts for quite a while which I think were the same thing. All the pinchies on my map are contained to avoid this).

I am gonna give it a few more tries though out of curiosity.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Hmmm. I was annoyed to realize I built my base in a way that rocket scraping the neutronium on the sides would be very inconvenient (critical infrastructure is in the way). I think I will try cooling my infinite nuclear waste storage until it forms a 250 ton (maybe much more by now) solid tile and machine gun the outcrops down. I think each radbolt removes 1 gram off of natural tiles including neutronium. So that is I think 20,000,000 radbolts to clear one tile.

It will take quite a long time to cool that block to solidify it using only diagonal tempshift plates on the bottom corners and a cooling loop, but since they're airflow tiles maybe running cooled gas past and into space would help.

I have ridiculous quantities of water so I'm already carelessly venting large quantities of oxygen from electrolyzers anyway.

Edit: With some very brief math even in a good radbolt setup I might destroy a single tile that way. So that's a maybe

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 3, 2022

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It's very straightforward to use if you've ever used steam turbines. I like to leave room for extra turbines and stick some industrial machinery in there, as well as extra aquatuners for miscellaneous cooling. It's a good place for the diamond press and radbolt generators to go with it.

Francis John's design is a good one if you want an example, and you can modify it however you need to.

Next time I will leave room to the side in case I want a double reactor setup. Or maybe I should just try the coolant limiting thing.

The reactor on top design also makes it much easier to irradiate plants for mutants. You can get around 3k beside the reactor wall with insulated tile.

I'm definitely getting a reactor much sooner next game.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
You can get a pretty good reactor setup with shine bugs. I had 4 generators getting about 8k rads. It took a bit of trial and error but you just need to use water to confine them on top of the collector half of the generator, and have an auto sweeper dumping the eggs outside of the area the shine bugs are living in. They will produce one egg per lifetime if there are no eggs in their room and they have at least 12 tiles of space (the space can be under water). If you have a separate ranch you can keep adding new eggs to it so the stable population keeps going up, minus the ones that occasionally get hit by radbolts.

It's a bit gimmicky but so is a lot of this game. I probably won't bother doing that again though.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
To keep rust deoxidizers running efficiently you can put it in a U of airflow tiles and add 2 small layers of different liquids.

It's not constantly running (edit: I suppose I could check the uptime, I would guess 95% so close enough) but it will let it run past the normal pressure limit and makes them a bit less finicky.

When they're at a higher pressure like that it makes it easier to get the oxygen to diffuse into your base, which is nice if you want to keep the chlorine away from it.

I assume you can also do that with electrolyzers but I've never done a setup that required that.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Not really. As long as you're getting enough oxygen it's fine. It's easier to force oxygen into your base with higher pressure, but that's only a problem if you don't have gas pumps yet.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
The worst is when they decide to eat something from the bottom of a deep sump and run out of air on the way back up, so they drop it back to the bottom even though that won't get them to the top any faster. Recover breath, rinse, repeat.

I had a dupe starve up death doing that. The starving message goes away when they get food, so the message went on and off and I thought it was different dupes running low before eating.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It doesn't need to be the full 10 tiles. I usually save space by making them shorter. Usually around 5 I think.

You need a powered and automated steel airlock above the two mesh tiles to limit the amount that passes through the mesh tiles in one batch. You need a filter gate to keep it open for a short amount of time, around 0.1 to 0.3s I think. Unfortunately that partially depends on how fast your game is running because the physics in the game will skip cycles when it's laggy and need more time for fluid movement. You will also need a buffer gate to keep it shut between drops (maybe 10s?) and a memory toggle that gets reset by a temperature sensor. Francis John has a good explainer on setting it up, it's hard to visual until you've made one.

When I use those droppers I have diamond tiles on the bottom and side of the mesh except for one diagonal. I'm not sure if the lava will transfer heat while falling. I don't think so. If you want to transfer heat from full tiles you'll need to leave out the mesh and put in an auto miner.

So the lava has to land on a tile while inside the mesh tile. Then it will rapidly transfer heat until it solidifies. If the mass is under a certain amount it will form debris instead of a solid tile, and get kicked out of the mesh. The mesh has to be fully enclosed except for diagonals in order to keep a vacuum.

That's probably not a great explanation but Francis John's explainers are really good for building your first one.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes a liquid pouring into another liquid will form a super dense tile and cause pressure damage, but I've only seen that happen with at least 2 other types of liquid present. Something about the other liquids needing more than one tile in order to be displaced. I don't know if that could've happened there.

Pressure mechanics in this game are weird sometimes.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
They made a TARDIS and it's beautiful.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
There are 2 different types of gas trapped there, so they can't merge with other gases and water can't compress them smaller than 1 tile each (edit: well, at least one tile per type of gas, but it won't push the bottom layer of CO2 up to compress the polluted oxygen above it). When that happens the water will fall through the gas and the game has no way to handle that other than letting the liquid build up.

It's pretty easy to make if you ever want to and I always think it's funny when it happens on its own.

If you want it back you can release it all by digging out that single algae tile and watch it explode back out in a few seconds (edit: actually one more tile because liquid and gas tiles can't move diagonally)

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 22, 2023

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I always end up shifting to feeding my guys with plants, because I usually go for 40ish dupes and when you ranch enough to feed that the pathfinding slows it down, at least on my computer.

Slowing down wouldn't be so bad except that when it slows down it messes up a bunch of stuff. Dupes will stand idle for several seconds when switching between tasks. Any sort of time sensitive automation is prone to messing up, like lava droppers for geothermal will open and shut without releasing lava unless the speed is turned down. I think that's actually on the fluid mechanics end.

Maybe they've fixed some of that, I only just started playing again and there have been several patches since then.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Pyromancer posted:

True end game is turning the entire ocean planet and magma planet into burgers

Strip mine every asteroid, consolidate every solid material onto one square, vent all liquids and gases into space, and eat all critters. Build bunker doors across the top of the map so no meteors can contaminate the map.

Finally, optimized oni performance!

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I find it's less bother to just overproduced by a significant enough margin that it doesn't matter. Then I use a deep freeze set up to fill fridges that the dupes can reach.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Research tempshift plates and build them out of ice for emergency cooling of crops.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

do you lose the power that was in the battery when they get deconstructed?

Yes, but I can't imagine it being worth the mental effort of waiting until it's drained to deconstruct it.

I suppose if you really want to transfer the power from a bank of batteries to a new one you could connect them to the new ones by a transformer and deconstruct them after they drain fully. I think that would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think you'd need to change much, you can already basically do that clumsily with transportation tubes. I think the pathing behaviors would be the same for an airlock.