Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

One of my early runs, my dupes were breathing almost exclusively deodorized po2 offgases. I basically suffocated them all when I moved the polluted water in a central tank further from base.

Those early games were so fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Can't relapse if you've never quit in the first place.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I just started my first Spaced Out game. The both teleporters are right next to each other, which is also just a short walk from the supply input. Want to get a little more stable on my first planet before sending someone over. Barely even have a kitchen set up.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Something I've been experimenting with is building temp shift plates in the module for some additional stuff I'll need. Storage containers are mostly a hassle to manage for multiple resources, since dupes will insist on filling a container with tons of steel, and one kg of dirt.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

OzyMandrill posted:

E2: Crazy religion where every fifth day they have to eat fish or starve.

Why starve when the Filet-O-Fish is 2 for $5?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I never post screenshots, so here's my dreco build.

One tall breeding chamber exactly wide enough for a single autosweeper. All eggs get swept into a hydrogen room to get sheared 3 or so times before starvation. Two unpowered incubators keep the breeding chamber topped off most of the time.

Also, pictured is my Shove Vole starvation ranch, and my miscellaneous critters overflow zone.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It's the amount of mass. A few drops of water aren't going to do much. You want at least 2kg of steam per tile, and tempshift plates for even more thermal mass, and to spread it around evenly.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I need to drop my excess Pip eggs somewhere. I'll figure out something to do with them later.

300 cycles later:

There's "only" 150 there because a bunch escaped during renovations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I might get viscogel for the first time ever this run. Then I'll be the one laughing.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

For me, "map littered with conveyor loaders" as a means of getting a "clean base" is missing the forest for the trees a little bit, but in this game the more outlandish the solution the better. You do youj.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, I reread your post I get how it could work with conveyor loader spam. If I were going to do something like this, I'd just put 4 auto dispensers above it, I think. More walking, but I don't think I'm in any hurry to make everything optimally clean.

How is heat management with it? Can anything go catastrophically wrong if you have tons and tons 1300C igneous rock sitting in the center for an extended period of time?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dareon posted:

Even for rockets?

I'm half kidding, I know the CO2 engine is the worst available, but there's got to be some decent use for 500-degree CO2. Or even subzero liquid CO2.

I have a liquid CO2 vent a little ways above a hot CO2 vent on one of my planets. I let them both drip down to the bottom at a lukewarm temperature where my half wild half tame slicksters gobble them up some of the time, but mostly just starve.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Condensation has been achieved.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

LegoMan posted:

I used a similar setup but I found too much H2 ice forming because of the narrow range on liquid and aquatuner. So I put in a pressure valve that only turns on cooling when the pressure reaches 5k. There's still bits of ice but they don't stack into gigantic 10kg clumps.

Based on the tutorials I've watched, hopefully I'll be fine with slow, conservative cooling to get it started, and keeping a larger reservoir at all times.

My failure point is probably in piping, since it's set up a little ways from my rockets and I didn't have enough ceramic for all the pipes.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

insta posted:

Use anything for the pipes, as long as it's insulated near the rockets, and make the pipe a loop that vents back into the chiller. Use a valve to limit to 1kg packets until the return packets are cold enough that they wouldn't freeze.

Too straightforward. I'd rather make more ceramic, which requires clay, which requires me offgassing polluted water, which requires repiping everything, oh and I'll have to make sure the pressure stays about right, and what do I have to do to make sure I don't run out of sand for the deodorizers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSehcT19u0

Couldn't be easier.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Travic posted:

I keep trying and failing to get into rocketry. I think it's the stress of having to super optimize the living space to keep them alive. I've seen some of the crazy intricate and compact designs and my brain just gives up.

The desire to both be perfect and original is the enemy in this game.

Either copy someone else's design, or just put 2 beds and a fridge in there. And from personal experience, you can get a lot done with just two beds and a fridge.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I like to keep as much natural features and abysallite intact as possible. The way some of my nat gas and hydrogen tanks are checkerboarded are a marvel to behold.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Imagine a patch that requires an oxygen atmosphere for most of the power generators. It would be pure chaos.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Travic posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why that was happening. I mean obviously it's the atmo suit dock, but why is it pulling gas out of suits and dropping it on the ground?

When suits get worn down, they drop all the oxygen they have left. If you don't have a gas canister emptier, after a few hundred cycles it adds up.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'd take a chlorine vent, if only to incentivize me to learn how to ranch pufts.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Is recruiting a super-pilot at all worth it? I guess it's a little convenient for your first mission or two, but it doesn't take long before I'm micromanaging construction projects on a few different asteroids so there's always something to do, even if there are 4 rockets in transit.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I somehow found myself almost entirely reliant on my geothermal power plant / water purifier. And a thousand cycles later, I only had 20% of my magma biome left.

I throttled it down from 5 turbines to 2-3 so I could still get some water purification going. But despite filling as much of my space biome with many solar panels as possible, I was still experiencing brownouts. Naturally, I figured out the solution to my problem is to make my second ever petroleum boiler, without consulting a guide.

I used an aquatuner as my heat source, since again, I'm trying to leave the magma for water purification only. I probably made the wrong choice in dimensions when I carving out the initial area,
so the entire top level is a little bit of a disaster with too much unused space and that awkward lip petroleum can just pile up on.

The airflow tiles were the wrong choice entirely. In my head I was trying to avoid pressure damage, but at the same time, since I could make them out of thermium, they could hold thermal mass and stabilize the temperature. Turns out it really doesn't work that way. Per the wiki:

quote:

Can act as insulation tile when "filled" with a Vacuum. Unlike a true vacuum, an airflow tile will still conduct heat from the tile directly beneath it.

I have the urge to tear them up to replace them with metal tiles, but it's finally stable and flowing after so many cycles and I don't want to screw anything up.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dunno-Lars posted:

nAre you Francis John or do you watch him? Cause that design looks very familiar.

I just ripped him off mostly. I've tried a few other ways of harnessing magma but a heat spike like his was the only one that really worked for me.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They told me not to bother cooling my water. Well, they never dreamed of a cooling solution so revolutionary.

It even degerms!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm flush with Gold and Aluminum in my current turn. I have 2 of each volcano on the planet with the crashed satellite, so sending some back home is a breeze.

I have, however, I've run out of iron. There are 4 iron volcanoes on the ice planet, but figuring out how to get it back home is proving annoying. Considering building my first nuclear reactor just get the radiation and power needed for a interplanetary launcher. And if all the ice melts, I can launch that all that water back too.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/140002-game-update-public-testing-506365/

New update incoming!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

This is probably a good cutoff point to retire my current save, since I've been pretty burned out. I'll do a few more sessions where I open the temporal tear, I think. Just brute-force it with a manual radbolt generator.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Are there Pip Plushies yet? I seem to recall Klei being really slow make Chester Plushies back when I was following Don't Starve.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If I don't want Longhaired Slicksters in game, why would I want one IRL?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Smiling Demon posted:

That is a yikes amount of manual radbolt generator usage. It saves having to setup power I suppose.

If you weren't aware already, the 0/1000 radbolts on that building is not the amount of radbolts you need, just the amount the building can hold at a time. You will need 10000 total radbolts.

Not really into doing math, but I have a thousand cycles of 3-6 relatively productive Beeta Hives, so we'll see what happens.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Smiling Demon posted:

Well, you definitely have the materials! It is only 400kg of enriched uranium in the manual radbolt generator, maybe a bit more to account for radbolts lost in transit.

You just need life support for the duplicants for 400 uses of the generator.

Oh, those require duplicant interaction? poo poo.

Okay, back to plan A. We'll go with sending tons and tons of phosphorite and coal and have autosweepers run weezeworts and the coal generators needed to power them. Basically what Francis John did on a recentish episode.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Base game rockets sucked because they were simultaneously too simplified and complex for my brain to understand them.

Space Out rockets are still a pain at first, but at least I understand exactly why things go wrong.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Another useful one is "grounded mode" which you can set using the steering wheel inside the capsule. It'll disable most buildings in a single click, so you won't have dupes going to your barely oxygenated deathtrap to eat, sleep and pee. The benefit to that one is that it still allows access to drop off supplies so you can still restock everything.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

All the rockets I used in my last playthrough were designed for 2 dupes, but next time I make it into space I'll probably make 3 the default. Strip mining planets was so tedious with just 2, plus it'll be easier to make sure the team has a diverse set of skills, so I don't have to skill scrub someone because I happen to need a rancher to move around stubborn critters for example.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I started a "Classic Start" Dave and am now in absolute awe of how big it is. I've found the teleporter, but have no desire to use it. I can just dig a little deeper to get what I need!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Panty Saluter posted:

Been putzing around with an evaporative cooling solution for volcanoes. It's...interesting? Ethanol is uniquely suited to the task given it's relatively low evaporation temperature. It transfers its heat through the metal tile quickly and the water settles on its temperature after the ethanol condenses again. It worked OK passive for a little while, but I'm in a pretty cold biome too. Currently I have an AT cooling the pool to se what it will do when it drops to sub-freezing. I suppose a steam generator is inevitable though

I think you may have accidentally discovered ethanol rain cooling. It's not just because of its low evaporation temperature.

https://oxygennotincluded.fandom.com/wiki/Ethanol

quote:

Due to the specific heat capacity difference between the liquid and gas, repeatedly boiling and condensing ethanol can serve as a heat deletion method

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I almost feel guilty when I get good geysers. I want ones that will gently caress up my base for a hundred cycles as I try half-assed builds to tame them.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Fossil is a trap that makes you think all your problems are solved before you end up exactly where you started in 10 cycles.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

By the time I was regularly teching up electrolyzers, I had researched plenty of designs to steal.

But the algae terrarium setups, oh boy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Of course I'm using transformers, but I find myself struggling with going in on a power spine meta. I'd rather put all my transformers in my main steam room to reclaim that small amount of heat. Which means I generally have a mess of wires radiating out from a single corner of my map.