Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
this game has gotten me good. my first base had a food death spiral around day 102 and 18 dupes. I decided I had too many and am around day 70 with 7

my current problem is that I sealed the base and forgot about my algae terrariums. pressure in the base is now low 4k and everyone's mad about their ears

my next problem is cooling and getting to a geyser I can barely make out. I'm not sure what the actual goal of this game is but disaster simulator is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I got past the initial heat hump and completed the colony's water filtration system. polluted water first cycles through chlorine dunked fluid reservoirs then sent to the cold zone to serve as cooling medium for the rest of the base. lots of trial and error messing with automation but the whole thing is hands off and the only thing that requires power is the water sieve at the end before storing the water

til; liquids from a reservoir don't need a pump to get things moving just an output. the basic signal switch can be toggled manually and would have saved some dupe time if I had incorporated them earlier

next goals are to start using more automation, conveyors and robots to get to serious excavation projects

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah there's a lot of weird stuff you can do entirely mechanically by taking advantage of this. There's a way to set up liquid/gas filters that don't actually use the built-in "filter" object at all, by taking advantage of some of the weird quirks of pipe flows and packets.

Another important thing to learn about pipes is that a 3 or 4 way intersection of pipe will behave differently than a straight pipe with a bridge off of it - intersections will split packets evenly between the "downstream" pipes (in a "one packet goes left, the next goes right" way rather than dividing each packet in half, the middle pipe in the image below), but packets entering a pipe section with a bridge or other type of input on it will always travel off via the bridge, unless the output end of the bridge is blocked (the right pipe in the image below). This distinction is important and both options are useful for different things - the intersection behaviour is what you want if you want to distribute a single flow evenly across multiple different things (although bear in mind that because of the splitting behaviour you need to lay it out very carefully if you want the distribution to be truly even), and the bridge behaviour is useful if you want to set up an "overflow" behaviour where you normally want all the liquid/gas going to one place, but able to be routed off somewhere else if that place is full.

Another useful pipe trick is "bridging on", which you'll see a lot of in tutorials for setting up liquid/gas loops of all sorts. You can set up a closed loop using a bridge/valve somewhere on the loop to control the direction, and then have a second bridge that outputs from some main line into to the loop to fill it up. That setup will always fill the loop exactly perfectly without clogging, so it will be a continuous circuit of packets that keep moving within the loop (the left pipe in the image below).

I wish I saw this post before I went on my session last night. I spent an hour trouble shooting pipes and direction problems and came to a lot of the above conclusions

til you can build a heavy-watt joint plate with over a regular wire and it won't get replaced. this caused me to tear apart my electrical grid trying to figure out what was going on

I also made a huge mistake in opening up the cavern too early and causing slime lung to get everywhere. it's like 50 cycles later and there are still pockets floating around. I'm now at day 200 with a relatively stable colony tho. I moved to Bristle Blossom hydroponics for a food source and my Hatch farms are going great. I think my biggest issue with starting this game was trying to rush up the tech tree too quickly. I'm making better low powered solutions to my problems and am now focusing on automating the lower level tasks away

next is steel production I think and figuring out how to make plastics. I need a more permanent solution to dealing with heat

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

LonsomeSon posted:

This is a game which generally rewards being really clever (as long as you’re also paying attention to detail anyway)

Once you’re generating oxygen with regulated pressure by some means or another, handling all the basic undesirable gases, and get heat heat managed the asteroids are your fucken oyster. Lots of ways still to gently caress up, but heat death is the primary “something you did or missed 200 cycles ago became an unstoppable problem 10 cycles ago but you’ve just now noticed it” problem. Things like interruption to oxygen or food are much more obvious and alerted pretty well by the interface.

If you don’t have them out yet, gander at smart batteries and how you can stop burning coal except when you actually need the electricity.

guess who just moved their battery storage to the ice biome and didn't see this option :smith:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
do you lose the power that was in the battery when they get deconstructed?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I tamed a natural gas geyser last night and have doubled my power generation. also my earlier problem of algae terrariums and too much pressure has come back in the form of the average pressure in the cavern above my base being too high. so my only real solution is to suck it all up and use it to augment my oxygen system for a while

oh and talking about potential death spirals. I was busy with the geyser and happened to check on my farms and noticed they had gotten too hot because I was cycling the water from the cooling system back in when I was low. we got that sorted out quick but now I get why the notification buildings exist

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
so in an effort to vent some of these excess gasses out I started tunneling up and I'm near space. I started to hear noises and connected the dots to the meteor shower warnings I had been receiving. I built a powered mechanical door down the tunnel a bit and am nearing the edge. I'm not entirely sure what happens if I break through without an atmo suit on. I am wearing oxygen masks so they should be fine right? besides potentially horrific cancer from being exposed directly to sunlight

I realized that I hadn't been digging down this entire time and went there to check on things and realized I had just barely missed seeing the oil biome this whole time :doh:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Funny enough vacuum exposure seems to not be a particularly big deal for dupes, they can walk around in space just fine. Literally the only thing that bothers them about it is the lack of oxygen. You do want to be careful cracking the oil biome though - it's very hot and dupes will take damage from the temperature if they walk around without atmo suits. That heat can also create temperature problems for your base if you don't have a buffer to prevent it from spreading.

I learned the atmo suit thing from analyzing a water steam vent and got 3 dupes heavily wounded

Sokani posted:

There is no explosive decompression either, gasses leak into space similar to how they spread to other areas of the asteroid. Once a gas is touching a no-background tile it will poof out of existence, but you don't have to do anything more fancy than a metal door before you break into space.

thank you both for the help. I haven't really played a base builder / simulation game since og dwarf fortress but this is good poo poo. I want to hit this dimensional tear as the base game then do a dlc run. I think this'll become a yearly game like battletech for me

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
we got to day 365 and have a mostly stable colony. plastic production is up and I have some amount of petroleum. I think I should start burning some of it for power and then transition to solar when I start heading back up top again. aquatuner and steam generator are keeping the base nice and cool but the whole thing looks like a mess and I want to restructure some of it but last time I tried a major project I nearly killed my colony

I did fine some weird stuff in the cave like a hermit and fossils but I'll get to those eventually. I did find a sick anti entropy gravitas device that made the mid-game transition way easier

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

LonsomeSon posted:

Use a separate smart battery for each generation method, so you can set your grid to preferentially draw from your more-plentiful sources.

Check out Arbor Trees (tree trees) if you can, petroleum generators will also burn ethanol and it is explained in exactly one place on their information pane. (you get ethanol from wood)

e: Look into basic rocketry sooner rather than later!

you saying this makes me realize that I should have put a smart battery by each major power generator with their own thresholds set instead of the giant battery farm of them that I currently have

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

This is kind of late, but water is so drat effective at heat exchange that it can stop plants growing. (And give the entire colony the sniffles :v:)

I don’t use it for base cooling until late in the game. A hydrogen loop passed through a
nullifier or wheezeworts generally normalizes at a good temperature for crops without needing an aqua tuner. Easy to get a loop running as soon as I’ve made a SPOM and some oxygen masks, then I don’t have to think about base temps until sometime after steel production and plastic production is sorted.

But this is also a playstyle thing - I think it’s a neat challenge to solve problems in the most rudimentary way possible.

Yeah, eventually you’ll end up with a series of different power generator failbacks.

The annoying thing with smart batteries is that their charge capacity doesn’t line up with the other batteries.

There’s ways around this with atomization, although it’s mostly done for the sake of appearance. Batteries bleed a tiny bit of energy along with producing heat, so it’s better to rely on automating multiple back-up power sources and not keep too many batteries charged.

E: can also cool the SPOM’s oxygen but piped hydrogen is nice because it allows fine-tuning the cooling instead of making the base really cold around each oxygen vent. And you’re probably going to end up with more hydrogen than you know what to do with.

my biggest issue atm is overcooling the base. I'm noticing using as low tech of a solution as possible is great in this game

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
temperature throughout the base has been stabilized while running iron refinery non-stop. I did end up restructuring everything throughout this but it taught me a lesson in using priorities to have roles for dupes

I did set up a transit tube system to get down to get back up from the oil biome. my question is when it says dupes don't require an access to exit a tube system does that mean I could have multiple exit points from a single access point?

I've also hit a wall where I think I have to make atmo suits to really break into the hotter parts of the map. oh and that I could probably use auto-sweepers to gather all the materials at the bottom of the map and get them to auto sort everything. travel times are still kinda bad at the moment

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Dunno-Lars posted:

Are you using a temperature sensor on your cooling so you only cool down the fluid/gas you are using when it is required, or are you running the cooling solution flat out?

at the time of the post it was going non-stop but I reworked it last night to reverse the flow and cool off the plants first instead of last. I have a liquid temp sensor before the aqua tuner now that has a bypass if the temp is below 20. that way the water will never be colder than 6

using automation sensors to limit power consumption has been huge for keeping the base alive

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

OzyMandrill posted:

If you can be arsed then gyms still work.

With the aquatuner, I find it best to not directly cool the base with the tuner loop. instead, use a shorter lop to cool either a pool of water, or my personal favourite, a block of alternating rock and metal tiles. You use the aquatuner to cool that, then the other loops pass through that as a heat exchanger. Later on, you get better liquids for the aquatuner, and having a short loop you replace to get the benefit is good, plus it's generally more stable/easier to fix/expand.
You can then do perfect temperature control, you have a second heat exchange block with a steel airlock door connecting it to the first, and you run the aquatuner to as cold as you can safely (-5, -6 I usually go with), and then a temp sensor on the outflow of the second block controls the door to ensure the output settles at 20 degrees pretty much exactly.

I'm glad the thread has kicked off again, I've started a new barren spaced out world. I have a hot steam vent, a polluted oxygen, volcanoes and oil. But I have hatches and dreckos, and bugger all space, but my new strategy is a colony of savant hippies, so no uprooting existing plants, minimal digging, try to keep it natural man. But I have a masterwork artist, mechatronic engineer, and a digger, all mouth breathers with lovely other stats, but we'll see how it goes. Definitely oil boiling, just debating whether to be arsed with sour gas this time.

yeah honestly I'm at the point where I need to pull out the refineries and really hot buildings from the main comfy cozy colony and as a part of that more tightly controlled temps will be needed soon so your suggestion makes a lot of sense. I've been mostly avoiding watching a bunch of tutorials and figuring it out along the way

for example til it's way easier to leave the wild Thimble Reed going and to harvest that for resources. which leads to being smarter with my biome mining

I need to figure out how to make a hot room to convert this crude into petrol. I found an oil reservoir and I think we can automate petrol production which would lead to rockets bby. I do really need to head up top and start sending out rockets. I'm at like day 400 now. probably way behind where I should be but we ain't ded yet fam

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Microplastics posted:

I've seen playing this game for longer than my kid has been alive and I still haven't launched a goddamn rocket

yeah but rockets sound like the fastest way to blow yourself up :science:. plus I noticed there's two different types of engines. I'm fairly confident that I could get the steam engine going but I have no idea what else I need to actually go on a mission besides food, oxygen, fuel and batteries for electricity. it does also mean I need to figure out how to deal with those meteor swarms

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Xerol posted:

I think by hot room they meant "a place to run the refinery building without boiling the base" and not a petroleum boiler.

Also thinking about how heat is normally a new player problem but an experienced player's resource, and then I rolled this map:

Feels like it's going to have to be hatches and coal power to make any heat at all until I can tap the oil wells. And I'll probably have to melt the oil biome.

Seed (easy difficulty - change game settings if you want normal):
pre:
V-SFRZ-C-2119834991-HU4JJ-3A
what if I send lava through the teleporter

I did actually say to convert the crude to petrol. so I really did mean a boiler and derped on the name

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I thought things were stable but I've spent the past 100 days trying to deal with heat. I've haven't had time to even deal with oil yet. I moved all my production facilities to a new annex that's separately cooled now. I think I need to move onto better food too

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

LonsomeSon posted:

You can just let dupes stack up skill points without spending them, to avoid stacking morale penalties.

If you’ve already got automation-regulated heat management though, you’re good to go for most of the crops which are past meal and mushrooms in complexity. Moving your crops into a second large temp-isolated box that you keep at a comfortable growing temperature isn’t at all beyond you.

I like to build sweepers and conveyors into my midgame and later farms, to cut farmer labor time down. Getting used to conveyors if you haven’t done anything elaborate with them yet is a good idea.

I learned this the hard way when I had chain stress events. I ended up using the respec building to fix it but I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong at first.

I did automate my hatch farms but they were overpopulated. they've since been pruned back and expanded upon

as for food, I think I really need spices and sleet wheat to move to the next tier of foods. I hadn't really considered expanding the farms until the industrial project was done but really I should be working on that petrol boiler. let's see if I can manage to not kill anyone

I think my other limiting factor is power generation

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
we did it fam turns out my main issue was heat and by proxy water. I was spending a lot of time going from fire to fire and wasn't making a ton of forward progress. we've now tamed two cool steam geysers and I got the metal refinery to be able to run steel non-stop

my initial gently caress up was not really taking into account that steam turbines generate power and should be on the main heavy-watt wire loop as the other power generators and not on a post transmission station line. then also not realizing that aquatuners don't run all the time if you got them setup with some sensors

now that everyone is happy and main supply lines are secure. I can finally get started on the mega projects

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
oh that's a question, nature preserves say you need to have wild plants in them. how does the game define that? can I put stacks on dirt in my base and put seeds into them? I did have pips from the fabricator but they died off before being able to plant. I even left them empty farm plots

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
ok so I did lose a dupe but I got the boiler working sorta. the issue is that I can't keep the magma hot enough to be consistent. it keeps cooling down to igneous but really I think I need to just keep pumping in heat. it's over 600 in there temp wise

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
actually it would have / would be faster to just make a diamond spike instead of messing around with transporting magma

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

we loving did it fam, we finally tamed the oil. we now have all the basic needs covered for a while and I can afford to run more aquatuners. time to start hollowing out the map and preparing the future launch bays

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Dunno-Lars posted:

Nice job, you should be proud tbh.

Can you get a mop command on those two oil blobs in the corners? If not, you could put a vent on the petroleum pipe with a liquid sensor on the segment before it that detect oil. Or let it rip and deal with the potential wrong element.

that'll actually correct it self as my oil intake already has petroleum in it and I filtered it back through there to fix my earlier attempts. then I can redirect the pipes after it cycles through. I do need to start directing the oil from the oil wells a little better but one step at a time

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

That bit took me like 2 years

honestly it was the helpful nudging you fine folks gave me earlier that sparked the idea. I was wasting time moving the magma around when in reality I didn't care about the magma at all just that sweet sweet heat.

probably time to start bringing in the next set of 4 and get up to 16 dupes

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
oh what do I do with all this carbon dioxide? there doesn't seem to be any production use for it. feels like I need to open up the top just to get rid of the stuff. I don't want to be running a ton of gas pumps

oh any list of recommended mods? I got zoomed out. tho it feels odd that you have to manually create airlocks after a certain stage in the game and that there's no planning overlay

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
had a near full doom spiral last night. I figured out way too late that my heat issues were due to using heavy watt blocks and they were transferring heat out of the steam chambers for the aquatuners. we had a situation where the oxygen wasn't circulating and the atmo suits loading bays were damaged by the ambient heat. so we sent out dupes like 2-3 at a time to run and fix things then sending out people to rescue the first squad. manually shut down a bunch of facilities and got the power back on long enough to power the petroleum pump

I think the only reason I'm alive is that the petroleum boiler is mostly power free and kept on churning while everything else was falling apart. which made me realize just how important fully automated systems were

oh and shout out to whomever said to use sensors with vents. cost effective and janky filtering

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Dunno-Lars posted:

If you want to filter out anything but one thing, you can set the sensor to that thing (like oxygen) and add a NOT gate between the sensor and the vent. This will close the vent when oxygen passes, and vent out anything else. Same for liquid and I assume solids.
Note that all of these will break if they can't vent due to pressure. So use a high-pressure vent for gas and make 100% sure you have enough room for liquids.

oh for sure. I'm currently using it to dump out salt water and brine into an already infested water source. i can filter out all that salt for food stuffs later

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 8, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
got the home sweet home initiative. besides cool factor is the monument needed for anything? I kinda want that steel back but it's also a big milestone for me

I did figure out infinite storage. when conveyer systems dump items out of a chute they'll just keep stacking. so I've got a dump site for all the major materials then sweepers with loaders that send it out to the appropriate part of the colony

also dug out a 10x50 chamber and lined it with insulated tiles as the beginnings of a launch chamber. I don't know if these'll keep me safe but I imagine a rocket taking off will vent a ton of heat and I could accidentally cook the base

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
we launched our first rocket and managed to not kill anyone this time. something I feel like I don't quiet understand is how doors closing and crushing materials works. sometimes I use automation to close a door on a solid or liquid and it'll get deleted other times they get pushed up. is there a minimum density?

I do feel like I'm understanding automation better. I updated the petroleum boiler to process more crude to be more efficient with the heat transfer. also included an automated back up reservoir with an alert of; yo we're runnin on fumes fam get on it

my biggest issue is needing lime as the big barrier to more steel production. I'm going to need to disassembled the monument for the steel alone

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

OzyMandrill posted:

Eh, door crushing is a bit of a exploit, but essentially it will push material to a neighbouring tile if it can, if it can't it will delete it. Maybe. I've had the doors on petrol boilers glitch a tonne of 1000C igneous rock through a wall and start boiling my base before.

I was using them as a very bad screw pump to move liquids upwards out of parts of the map that accidentally got flooded

OzyMandrill posted:

Lime is probably the no.1 issue in late game resources to be honest. Ranching for eggshells (ranching pokeshells directly is the best) once you have used all the fossil on the map up.

yeah I have 3 hatch ranches and they can't keep up. lots of bbq tho

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

OzyMandrill posted:

OK, well you have no trouble taking on the full challenges, so your next one is this: Pokeshell ranching!
They eat polluted dirt, so for example:
CO2 -> scrubber = PWater, which converts to clean wtaer + polluted dirt
Or if you're feeling swish, pip planted arbor trees->lumber->ethanol + CO2 + TONS of pdirt

Feed these into a ranch of pokeshells, and use automation to automatically collect eggs, and let them hatch, grow, starve and die and with luck you get eggshell + pokeshell molt each time. 100+ cycles to get it working, but then a steady stream of lime.

If you don't have Spaced Out, I would reccomend it about now. If you are thriving, making petrol boilers etc. then the extra stuff is really good. -fun rocket interiors, landing on other asteroids and automating transport, nuclear reactors, etc.

I honestly have done most of what you can do in the base game outside of what appears to be exotic materials. I wanted to try and get to the last rocket location before calling it but I'm at day 1000 and have no idea how long that'd take. I guess as fast as I can make fuel and launch an all gas no brakes rocket to the end with like a maxed out petroleum engine with boosters

I did get Spaced Out during the Black Friday sale

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
got the pokeshell farm up but now I regret having a compost area this whole time. I currently have 16 tons of it but these things are ravenous. might need to scale down to 4-5 or find a better source of polluted dirt

I got a little over zealous with rocketry and it'll take a while before hydrogen engines but I am launching two petroleums nearly non-stop

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

OzyMandrill posted:

Its funny how much stuff that you do to start, you learn to not do ever again. Doing a start on a water-poor asteroid is a good thing to try next, learn how little water you can get away with.
Best source of poop I know is: pwater->irrigated arber tree->lumber->ethanol+pdirt. Burn the ethanol to get more pwater to feed the trees.
If you use pips to plant the trees (you need 25+ I think to run 4 distillers) then you can get enough pwater from burning the ethanol to generate the oxygen to keep a dupe or two alive on a small asteroid with no water source.

I've got one Arbor Tree seed and the Pips died earlier. so we're doing this by hand but hey these are all good things to test out

I'm seeing how I could have basically the exact same base but in half the time if I didn't have to do so many restructures. it is funny how earlier problems are non-existent now. I have so much water as to fill a reservoir, two back ups and a polluted water reservoir

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 13, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

LonsomeSon posted:

Lead remains perfectly fine for wiring throughout most of your bases, except for really hot zones, it’s great.

In terms of conveyor rails, you can run a central trunk line with filters coming off it to cut back on redundancy somewhat but the cost of full mechanization is just an incredible amount of metal: every origin point needs a sweeper, a loader, and conveyor line, and every receiver needs the same but either a solid vent or one of those supplier thingamajigs instead of the loader. Sensors and automation wiring as appropriate, plus power lines, etc.

The solution is to find more raw and refined metal basically, sorry.

centralization of inputs and outputs is my next restructuring project. I have a general dumping ground near the base but have multiple loaders and unique lines running to the consumers. I think using a filter to pull out coal but then go to multiple receptacles at each location. should save on both rails but also simplify the overall network

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
ok I've got some super coolant and thermium. which is clearly what I need to make liquid hydrogen and oxygen. at the moment I'm using the little bit of coolant to make a better cooling system for the base with granular controls for both the plants and base itself

I have about 5 tamed poke shells and like 10 wild ones in a pit. I made the mistake of combining with hatch room. so now I gotta clear that up

I'm nearly done with the telescope and after I get the fuel can pretty much wrap up this colony. great timing too with the holidays coming up

when I get back I look forward to fumbling around again when I run into the new mechanics from Spaced Out. there's like radiation now? that seems bad

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

oh jay posted:

You launched a base game rocket? I'm so sorry. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Radiation isn't a big deal until you start playing with (nuclear) fire, and rocketry is so much more fun that it more than makes up for it.

many in fact. Rocketry is kinda boring but obvy they blew it out in the dlc

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
and we're back. so I took an hour or so trying to remember what I was even doing and realized that I had janked up all my aqua tuners and how the bypass works. I didn't fully grok how joining from bridges worked. more specifically what gets priority. so I've been fixing my cooking system and now everything dropped in temp rapidly in a good way

so I think I'm nearly ready for liquid fuels just need to carve out a reservoir for each type and get it going. I scoped out the dimensional tear and just need to wrap this up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Black Noise posted:

Its been 450 cycles and I haven't launched a rocket yet I'm really slacking.

nah it took me like 600+ days to get to that point on my first run. you can check my post here to learn from my mistakes a few months ago

I'm on a trip but I'm ready for a new colony with Spaced Out turned on this time. there's so much going on with this game and the fact that they're going to be adding more DLC makes me feel like it was a good time to get in