Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Cardiovorax posted:

Is there a way to put individual objects on quick buttons? I use ladders often enough for exploratory digging that I would like to be able to just press a key instead of having to go through the menu.
I just got this game a week ago, it rules, and I'm already tempted to try and make a mod for this exact thing. Hotkeys for tile, ladder, insulated tile, and wire/piping would help a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You can use the meteor defense laser mod :)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

What do you guys think is a fair power consumption for like, an electrolyser + piped output for just oxygen? This mod adds one for 480w which seems fair to me, but I'm curious.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Mazz posted:

It’s 600w for the electrolyzer and 2 pumps, which you’d need for the 880g made per second. Technically another 240W for the hydrogen pump you’d also need.
The mod only pipes the oxygen, not the hydrogen. As far as I can tell it replaces the 120w electrolyzer, the 120w filter, and two 120w pumps - did I miss something? Any hydrogen pumping would be external. I'm hoping to make it less fiddly, not less power consumed. (I realize there's already some gains in terms of being perfectly efficient at pumping just oxygen, but that seems like less of a big deal.)

edit2: ahh, yeah, got the pump cost wrong - that'd do it

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 27, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Mazz posted:

Pumps are 240W, and you don’t need a filter if you build the electrolyzer so that gravity splits them. It’s actually deceptively simple.

This is more detail than you need but the top part is relevant:

The one tile gap above the door and the atmo sensor at 250g for the pump insures that hydrogen is never not occupying that gap, filtering the gasses naturally. Since wheezes need phosphor now I just combined 3 electro setups into 1. All the clock sensors are just there to control the doors since it makes construction way easier
A thing of beauty, drat. I already use at atmo sensor on my carbon skimmer for the same reason, it makes sense. I have....a lot of things that turn on "occasionally" share a circuit and my plan for not overloading wire is "pray". Automation is really powerful in this but I also don't want to burn refined metal on too much of it before I have a refinery up.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Mazz posted:

If you're map has lead sources, like around the oil biomes, it's what I make most of my automation out of. It doesn't melt till over 275C and you'd be hard pressed to push anything that high outside of aquatuner rooms and that poo poo, and that's what steel is for anyway.

Here's some other views of it for any details you might want:

I'd link the temperature overlay but its not very impressive, I use a cool slush line to feed the electrolyzers but that pipe looks like this:

and it turns out when you pipe 200C petroleum in the middle of that runit kind of ruins everything till you get it cooled back down.

If you have any questions about the electrolyzer setup just ask.

Are you cooling the hydrogen for some specific reason, or is it just like, filling the wheezwort chamber with hydrogen because they remove more heat from hydrogen than oxygen? I understand the radiator pattern for cooling the oxygen across the wheezeworts, but does the weaving pattern of the hydrogen pipes before they hit the generators do anything for you?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Another strange thing is that your dupes are really good at differentiating between polluted water and not polluted water, but can't just filter germy water in the same way. So I can leave polluted water out wherever and it's fine, but god forbid some food poisoning gets in one or the other, because there's no way for me to tell dupes to put germy water in a different bottle emptier. It's not the end of the world and I can use germ sensors to detect and filter it myself but it seems like a weird gap. Like they give the water the sniff test first but can't drop some iodine in there???

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

I kinda wish gas could travel through water. Like, in bubbles. You could use that I'd bet
Liquid locks being perfect is....a kindness, for sure, but it'd certainly make sense for some amount of air bubbles to pass through them as a dupe splashes on through.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

So is there a sustainable way to make dirt without the dupe labor of compost? I'm on Terra but I have a lot of pips and one single arbor seed, are they dirt positive? I just built a sleet wheat farm and I have enough dirt for a few thousand cycles, but I think it will run out before my coal does, and at least I have stone hatches to make more of that from granite or whatever other rock pours in from the sky. I want a compute cluster version of this game that will tell me how long I live if I do nothing.

Anyone have any framerate advice? I only have 11 dupes but things are really chugging now that I've explored the whole map. I'd alter my base for framerate if I could.

PS why the heck do large transformers output 4kw instead of 2 to match conductive wire? What is the use case there? It'd be cool if they had two outputs but no such luck.

Edit: wow it's right above this post, rip me, though if pips work I might skip the ethanol part, I have many tons of steel and plastic already.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

No idea how I'd even start to ranch molten slicksters... Sure would be cool though. I keep putting off doing anything with crude oil but I can't burn coal forever.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

So is it cheating to let gift pacu flop from the printing pod into a single square of water and find yourself with sustainable fish meat forever? Kinda feels like cheating, though they are barely touching the surf and turf because of all the pepper bread I'm making. WTF am I gonna do with 2 million calories of prepared food anyway?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You can also make like, a gas room that contains both the reservoir, a pump that turns on if the reservoir empties, and a high pressure vent. That will get you 20 kg per tile of space in the room, plus the 10kg per tile of reservoir. I have my gas geyser prioritize going straight to the power plants, but if that's at capacity, it goes to such a gas room right right next to my gas grill, and it will output back to the the natural gas generator when the geyser isn't pumping.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Is there a reasonable way to use conveyers for food? My dupes spend a lot of time carrying food from the sleet wheat farm to the fridge, the fridge to the grill, the grill to the fridge/great hall, etc. I can set the loader near the farm to load manually, but either the fridges have higher priority and they'll run to them instead, or the loader has lower priority, and they race to bring food back to it from the fridge over and over.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Hello Sailor posted:

Use autosweepers.
Don't dupes pick up the food automatically when they harvest? Am I wrong about that? I can redesign my farm a bit to accomodate them for sure. I also gotta figure out how to make them not get stick around on the rail, but that should be easier.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I just cut my farm size in half - no need to waste space storing all of it. I'm definitely storing it in CO2, power for 5m kcals worth of refrigerators would have burned through my coal like crazy. Love the row of door trick - can you really just build stuff on top of closed doors or is that a mod? Also I had no clue i could put conveyer loaders sideways or upside-down, that's pretty handy.

Pretty surprised you're not doing pepper bread, that's all my dupes eat at this point. I wish I could tell them to make exactly enough frost buns for the mushrooms I already have. Sustainable dirt is problem but a far away one, I'm working on setting up ethanol now, hopefully that will produce plenty of dirt, even if it requires dupe labor in the compost heap.

That calculator is helpful....and I'm confused. The numbers all add up for why it'd take 30 plants to support 12 dupes, but my numbers go up and up and up. I guess I'm still harvesting a few wild ones, but one influx every 72 cycles doesn't quite add up. I don't let them eat anything worse, though I'm also stockpiling surf and turf as backup. (I'd happily do a few burgers if I could set the kitchen to make only as many frost buns as a few wild lettuce plants can support.) I was fertilizing them for a long time, I guess that was doing it, but I'm out of fertilizer.

Can I combine the "no water pauses them" with "they'll auto drop after 4 cycles" fact? Will they still drop if they're not fed? I guess it'd be hard to do with them not staying in sync.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I do wish the game gave me more information on inflows and outflows of goods, so I could answer questions like "how much sand do my deodorizers use each day on average" and "how much of my sleet wheat production is farmed vs picked up from wild plants?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

My morale scores are a lot like those, but they're pretty inconsistent. (Okay, okay, I'm not swimming in enough dupe labor to sit and make table salt, and they never seem to actually dance, but that's it.) Randomly one or two will drop down to less than 30. I get it if it's the one installing microchips in the horrible-decor power room, even though I made a couple statues just for her, but it seems like randomly they just won't use the great hall, or won't get the nature reserve buff when they must have passed through the nature reserve to get outside their bedrooms. I've even seen one sleep on the floor randomly with her bed right upstairs. Sometimes they also just don't have their food morale - like surely they've eaten but there's no sign of it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't think you were overbearing and in fact, if you think those 4 morale are more trouble than they're worth, I'm inclined to believe you. I do worry that I'll run into a resource constraints with sleet wheat, I'm at 14 dupes so 35 plants means I'll need 18 pips producing dirt in order to keep up with that, which is a lot of ranching time, or I'll need to actually set up an ethanol generator, which is a lot of compost flipping time.

I also never noticed that research skill increased skill learning speed - that seems important and I'd been specifically avoiding it because I finished the tech tree super early, save for space stuff, and deconstructed my research buildings. I've also been extremely conservative with skill points, leaving their morale requirements below 20 even while morale is often in the mid-50s, I'll crank that up a bit starting with research skill. Heck my cook even has the "no research" negative trait, but he's also pretty much full time so I think it's okay.

I've used my hospital once or twice when I got lazy about slimelung I guess? It's definitely wasting space in my base.

I'm thinking about turning off cooking omelettes - what do I even do with these? It feels wrong wasting all these raw eggs but I'd suffer if dupes ever actually ate them. Time to make a lumberjack breakfast mod that combines them with barbecue. I guess fish would be more convenient than me (is pacu farming in one tile of water an exploit? It feels like an exploit but drat if I didn't make a spot for them to flop into straight from the printing pod.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Alright this is a big topic, but how do you guys choose dupes? This my first "long game", I'm a thousand cycles in though playing pretty slow. I have 3 or 4 dupes with yokel, because research was done, and that....was a bad idea. Had no idea about learning skills, missed that tooltip entirely. Divers' lungs seem like a priority, 3 specialties in branches with 3 skills each also seems really good, but what else do I not know? Everyone gets atmo suits in my base, as they leave their bedroom.

Do I really gotta throw this one back? :ohdear: Suit wearing is somewhat wasted but I have plenty of rocket navigator candidates, but I'll at least get the first point.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also I wish I noticed that level 3 operating is strictly better than level 3 construction earlier, I definitely have dupes who got the former before the latter while having level 2 operating.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I have yokels and slow learners, but it's okay, they'll learn eventually.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

My oil reserves are beside a magma pit, and the heat is destroying my liquid pumps. I've never really gotten far enough to worry about temperature. How do I cool off this oil pit?
Yeah what temperature is it? Gold machinery can withstand up to 125C, steel can go up to 275C. When you're designing something, pay attention to which components have an "overheat temperature" - those will stop functioning well before the melting point of the material in question. Pumps have overheat temperatures and so you'll have to think about what temperature they need to withstand. I know my oil reserves are between 90C and 100C, and so gold is enough to pump it, but I've used steel in some places where that won't suffice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Oof that's hot. Refining it into petroleum will delete some of that heat, you can burn the natural gas and get only half the volume in petroleum at the same temperature. (I think this is how it works, not sure, I just know my petroleum ended up the same temperature as my oil.) You could build your refinery out of steel, as well, or ship the oil through a wheezewort room, an aetn, or some sort of turbine-based heat-sink. (Mine is like, a crude oil chamber sealed with metal tiles between it and a steam chamber with a turbine on top. I use it to dump aquatuner heat into but you could use it for your crude if you wanted to. I don't think you can avoid the steel pump though, I think generally a solution is going to involve moving the oil somewhere. You could build ice tempshift plates in hopes of leeching enough heat to make it sane, but then you have an awful mix of oil and water that you'll have to spend time/power to separate it later.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The bottle emptier menu is weird - it has all these checkboxes for every liquid, and your dupes can tell by sight whether water is "polluted" or but, but the first thing you run into where you probably want to differentiate bottled fluids is germy vs not germy (polluted) water, and the bottle emptier is useless there.

I get germs out of liquids with a chlorine room. You might call it an exploit but germs in a liquid reservoir are considered to be touching the surrounding environment. I filled a room with 8 connected reservoirs with chlorine, make pipes leading in and out, then seal it, and generally anything I pump in there will be germs free by the time it gets out. (I added a shutoff so I could toggle it into two independent groups of 4 in case I needed concurrency.) I haven't automated it for my toilets, I way overbuilt my toilet tank such that it's only a third full after 1000 cycles, but it's nice for when I accidentally get food poisoning somewhere it's not supposed to be, or for zombie spore crude.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I launched some steam rockets. Petrol rocket research is done but I'm kind of aghast at all my haphazard wiring and piping. I get frustrated with every new line but it's so hard to fix it live. Really not looking forward to digging out a column to hide heaviwatt in going all the way to the surface. Also I gotta build the generator to do something with all this ethanol, but ugg the co2 production. Maybe I'll just space it and treat distillers as a power negative dirt producer. I guess I also gotta set up sustainable petroleum, which will mean shipping water from all the way up at the surface all the way to the oil biome.

I really want my bunker doors to be powered by solar panels but it's just too many batteries.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

As a curiosity, anyone manage to make a 3-electrolyzer system that only uses 6 pumps? I copied Mazz and managed to adapt it to do 2 electrolyzers, 5 pumps, but I couldn't manage to get 3 of them to work with just one hydrogen pump.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I'm okay with running slightly less than 100% uptime, I already have excess oxygen, but it'd be cool to make it work. Just a thought.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah anything near rocket exhaust gets steel wire now - I tried iron but it melts around 1500 apparently.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You can also be fancy and feed them balm lilies.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ohh I didn't know that made them less likely to be glossy - I personally believe I have all the plastic I'll need from my mealwood ranch and have been thinking of how to switch them over, but I planned on moving to regular dreckos for insulation making anyway.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also I leaned ethanol distillers don't seem to overpressure because, uhh, my distiller room has hundreds of kgs of co2 jammed in there.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

LOX would have been quite the project without supercoolant but as soon as I got a little I was just like, yeah sure let's do this, and had some very quickly. I was looking forward to liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen as endgame challenges but it turns out they're kinda easy with supercoolant and also both have the same solution.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cold and breathable bedroom and a few exosuit docks oughtta do it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nah, that's kinda what the surface is all about. You gotta design for it. It wasn't exactly my favorite part.I had a few layers, there were bunkers at the top, spaced out automated doors with space scanners on top, autominers on the bottom which had complete coverage over a row of mesh tiles below them. When a meteor swarm would start, I'd close the bunkers, and when it ended, the regolith would fall onto the mesh tiles, except where there were automated doors, which I had programmed to open for 5 seconds or so afterward so they would drop their regolith also. It would result in the auto-miners overheating eventually, so I slowly replaced them with thermium as I collected the materials for it.

For me, liquid oxygen at least was real easy once I had super-coolant. I just made a mini version of the same sort of cooling loop I had for my base and boom, it just works and you get liquid oxygen. I didn't actually do liquid hydrogen but it has a nearly identical solution. I kinda felt like I had won at that point, started a new game rather than grinding out space exploration until I reached the tear, but it was actually kinda disappointingly simple once I had super-coolant to work with. Liquid Oxygen you can earlier though it sounds like a huge pain without coolant.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I guess if you get the hydrogen another 80 degrees colder or whatever, the heat transfer wouldn't be *that* slow. I built my cooler under my rocket right there in space fwiw, didn't have an issue getting it there.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

skooma512 posted:

I've been using element sensors with shutoffs as filters, but for whatever reason it loves adding an extra packet of the poo poo it's supposed to filter out.

I guess the key is to have the loop moving? It tends to do the most when the system gets backed up.
Yeah it guarantees nothing but the filtered element goes out of the shutoff, but does not guarantee that the filtered element does not also go out the non-shutoff side. It will do so whenever it backs up. I'm not sure if there is a generalized way to fix that with a loopback but as long as the shutoff side doesn't saturate, it's fine.

It's a little weird - I kinda wish the trick either didn't work or filters themselves were less power hungry. Making "filter" cost 120w and "good-enough but more annoying filter" cost 10w is a bit of a perverse incentive, and feels unintended. Even just admitting they have a problem and making a 10w "overflowing filter" that costs some refined metal would be an improvement. (It'd be a bargain at 60w frankly.)

(You can also filter for 0w with a valve by using the fact that each pipe packet can only contain one compound, but it's fiddly and takes up a good bit of space.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Long term I will stand up for pepper bread as long as you have a source of pwater for it. I have only really played one game long enough to get there and I was fortunate enough to have a massive natural wild peppernut farm sitting right to the side of my base, so maybe it's not always so easy. The sleet wheat farm was a very fun engineering project and it was super satisfying to flip the switch in heat vision mode and watch the temperature drop.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I liked this one:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1359110726

They have a mid game and a late game one also. I don't necessarily agree with all their ideas and I'd encourage you to try doing your own designs instead of copying theirs, but it's a starting point. This will be easier once you are at least short term stable.

I also personally don't like video guides for games like the, because I'd generally rather read than listen to a guy blather for twenty minutes, and they aren't searchable so you gotta click around to find what you want and stuff is often spread across multiple. I had fun watching videos of crazy poo poo people built in this game but for learning it I think screenshots and text is the way to go. No worries if your preference is for video guides though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Locke Dunnegan posted:

What the hell do you do when your starting map has a tiny amount of clean water inside of the initial area? Beeline for the water filter? I eventually just gave up when I was just about out of it, because other than the polluted water output from my other stuff, the only pockets with polluted water were also lousy with polluted oxygen, which I didn't have an answer for.

I do kinda wish there was a campaign or challenge mode that gave breadcrumb goals to teach you how to navigate the general strategy of priorities for beginner bases. I'm trying not to expand too fast, but the game doesn't do a great job of telling me which machines require or output which things until I build them. I guess I should read all the info pages of all the buildings before I build them, but even the encyclopedia pages on them doesn't list things like the fertilizer maker releasing ambient natural gas or requiring phosphorite, which sucked when I had already done a ton of digging and didn't happen to mine any during that.

What are you using water for? You need it for advanced research but that's basically it for awhile. Eventually you'll want electrolyters for making oxygen but hopefully you have the water sieve by then. It's definitely something I research pretty early. If you have the sieve, dupes peeing is actually water positive, which is important in the design of your plumbing system. Do note that sieving the water does not remove the germs, so don't use it for food, but for the electrolyzer or research it's fine.

IMO you should definitely venture into other biomes before your algae runs out. I know some of the maps are really stingy on water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Locke Dunnegan posted:

How do you not use water for food when every recipe requires water? Growing plants also requires water, so I have to choose to starve now or starve later. Is there some way to get consistent food without water or lucking into a ton of starter buried food? I don't know what all is using the water other than farm tiles and research, as far as I can tell.
Mealwood doesn't require water and neither do dusk caps. Stick with those for a long time - imo better food than mushrooms can be punted on until late game.