Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/76093-game-update-preview-branch-210162/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Alaan posted:

1) I think the discord link expired/is broken

2) I don't know if this is a feature or a bug but it is great.

A guy was standing in a 2 block high spot then built a ceiling where his head was, proceeding to hang himself from ceiling until someone else deconstructed it.
nah this is probably a feature(see also duplicants refusing to return to base after digging underwater when there's an airbubble nearby then suffocating when it runs out)
duplicants are pretty dumb and will kill themselves in new and stupid fashions if you don't watch.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

LoboFlex posted:

The game is pretty great, although it's been a few versions since the last time I played, so I haven't tried any of the new stuff.

Building a base for muh aesthetics or managing a spiralling shitshow of dropping moods isn't as engaging as it is in games like rimworld or dwarf fortress, but the game really shines when it comes to building larger systems to keep your colony afloat. Managing clean and polluted water, keeping your base comfortably cool (if you start next to hot biomes) and making sure everyone has enough mostly clean air to breathe involves piping a lot of stuff around, and thinking about things like air pressure, thermal conductivity and the different properties of materials is a lot of fun.

Here's a heavy handed attempt at cooling down boiling water from a geysir, which would be a renewable source of clean water. It didn't really work until the room filled up and the geysir stopped due to being over pressurized though. :shrug:

Here's one way to create a room that can store excess chlorine or co2 by using super-cooled hydrogen to liquidize or freeze all the incoming gases.

There are several other things in the game that warrants equally large projects, and there're a few hidden materials in the debug mode that doesn't show up in the game yet, suggesting that they'll add more things to gently caress around with later.
great info, though I will point out that there are thermo-switches in game now(gas, liquid and something else i think)

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

I've been seeing weirder trapped dupes recently. last night one got stuck in a block below a pool that was 5-6 blocks up with no possible way he could have got there.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

polluted oxygen will collect above oxygen if there's no air currents causing it to wander around and mingle.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

More questions, after my 3rd attempt at a colony went pretty well (75 cycles and they're starting to spiral now, mainly because I ran out of coal to run my generators. It might still be salvageable but I feel like starting a new one with what I've learned anyway).

-Are transformers one-way? I came up with a nice setup where I keep my generators and heavy cables all running outside the base, then I use transformers on each floor to run small wires in through the walls to prevent overloading. However, I'd also like to set up some hamster wheels inside the oxygenated area just in case I need to generate emergency power; will they feed their generated energy back out through the transformers and out to the other floors?

-Are heavy cables supposed to be able to run through airlocks? I've found that if I build the cable first, then place an airlock on top of it after it's been constructed, the game is fine with that. But if I try to queue up both to be built at once, it'll tell me the location is invalid for the cable, and if I try to queue a cable over an already constructed airlock, it just doesn't let me place it. I assume some part of all that is a bug but I'm not sure which.m

-Is there a way to speed up melting ice? I had some mined ice sitting in a storage container that was heated up to 50 degrees (Celsius) by the surrounding water, and it was heating up, but VERY slowly. Admittedly there was 14,000 kilograms of it in there (the masses in this game are so weird), but still, the temperature barely moved over like a dozen cycles.
the thing with the heavy cables is probably an oversight, and the ice isn't melting because there's so much of it that whatever melts instantly gets refrozen. destroy the container if you want it to go faster?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I tried that - just dumping it in the 50 degree water directly didn't speed it up at all.

The thing is that it was JUST ice that was causing problems. If I put snow in the same container it melted almost instantly. I know snow melts faster than ice but it was a major contrast. Is ice some kind of weird special case where it's not just "water, but cold", but actually generates coldness somehow?
I've seen similar things happen(but not on your scale) with ice mysteriously gyrating up and down as it cycles between melted water and ice ball. from reading the Klei forums, it looks like convection currents aren't in game yet, so your ice pile is probably defeating the heated water by cooling the water around it.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Elizabethan Error posted:

I've been seeing weirder trapped dupes recently. last night one got stuck in a block below a pool that was 5-6 blocks up with no possible way he could have got there.
wtfFrankie.png

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

8one6 posted:

If you are getting a weird build up of water where there shouldn't be any it's because you're (I'm) a dumbass and didn't uncheck liquifiables from the storage compactors. The pipes aren't leaking. It's snow and ice.

This has been your "Oh, right, duh." of the day.
the compacters now let you be more selective with what goes where by clicking just individual materials in the compacter menu and it remembers the explicit exclusion. there's no good reason to click 'All' at this point, unless you want to revel in your dupes stressing out earlier than usual.

Tenebrais posted:

I've tried using that as a source of water but it turns out 20 tonnes of ice melts really slowly.

I really need to find a steam vent. Natural gas geysers give me a source of polluted water to purify but that relies on my sand supply...
If you've found an area that's hot enough, you can just drop the ice down there and harvest the steam(this works with polluted ice/water also)

e: https://steamcommunity.com/app/457140/discussions/0/133257959059838984/

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

temple posted:

How do you manage water pockets early game and water in general late game?

I'm thinking of making cisterns. Does granite hold water with 1 block depth? Which are the best water materials?

the materials with the greatest hardness are wolframite(150), tungsten and abyssalite(200)

http://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/List_of_resources

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 9, 2017

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

drat, another 3-4 weeks? That's... pretty bad.

I mean I can understand the desire to balance things further, but the game is on EA for gently caress's sake. Just release it and get feedback from people who actually matter: the players.

some player on release day posted:

*fourty minutes of fart noises*

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Mechanical Ape posted:

The ruins have a different tile design. Can you build different-looking tiles out of different materials, or is this strictly an ~ancient alien technology~ ?
you've always been able to make them out of the various minerals. it's usually sandstone because that's what's abundant and easy to get to when starting.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Anime Store Adventure posted:

What's kind of the "flow" or pace of this game? I like base building and survival, but Don't Starve never clicked with me because it felt pretty constant to be on the edge of death and never reaching a safe level. I was constantly running and trying to do stuff.

I kind of like the Factorio or Rimworld pace- you can get to a sort of uneasy equilibrium that can definitely be interrupted by events, but in a vacuum would be stable.

Not sure if that distinction makes sense but I always felt hurried by Don't Starve and am less interested if the developer is going for the same pace or style.
it's not as frantic as Don't Starve, but it's pretty easy to screw your base up in various ways, or have your dupes strand themselves/die because they've dug from the wrong side of a gap, etc

the flow is mostly the drive to find ways to keep your dupes alive and stress-free right now, as what's been playable thus far has been basic gameplay with no objectives beyond survival. I suppose we'll see what future updates will do w/r/t fleshing out gameplay

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 25, 2017

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Mechanical Ape posted:

That much I knew, but does the tile look different visually depending on what it's made of? I could have sworn I built some from obsidian and they were the same featureless white.
I've no idea, i've not played into the update enough to do that, but it seems that Klei has started updating the tile textures.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Travic posted:

The Oxygen Not Included Experience:

I had 5 down there earlier, but didn't think to take a picture.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Grey Fox posted:

Thought there might be something like that, but hadn't found it yet. Thanks!
you're looking for the ! inside a diamond, just below the remaining calories display

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

temple posted:

is there any reason why dupes wouldn't use the ore scrubber? i'm switch the slime between the right storage bin and the left one. they would use it at first but not now.

your chlorine pump doesn't appear to be powered.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

There's feature complete and there's a one sentence tooltip explaining what something does.

there's released and there's playable beta

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Dupes can jump one block from the ladder, you don't need 2 side-by-side, or so many rooms with individual doors(too much copper used)

Alkydere posted:

The biggest deal with the wash-basin is that you gotta set up an area to be your polluted water "tank" to unload the bottles into. And while technically polluted water does poison the breathable air, if you build the tank down low you'll end up with a nice gas seal of CO2 separating the taint-juice from your precious oxygen.
polluted oxygen is lighter than CO2, you're not going to be able to trap your germs like that as polluted water will generate polluted O2 if it's in contact with a gas

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

curious how that's going to work, unless you want to vent chlorine or CO2

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

With the added surface biome, couldn't you just delete heat by venting out hot gas directly?
yes, but a) gas is finite and 2) what gas are you going to use that isn't used for something else

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

meatsaw posted:

So how is everyone attaching their manual generator to their power grids now? Recently after not playing a while I came back, and now the thin power lines between my manual generators and my battery grid keep melting ... and I don't remember this happening in the past.
you've got to use a transformer to limit the thin powerlines to 1kW, they will overload if they surpass that amount.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

When their immunity is low, how do I get them to rest or increase it back up?

I have a bunch of med beds and I've assigned them to it but they won't use it.
at the right side of the priorities tab, theres an up and down arrow, which will increase or decrease the priority of all errands. you can use this to stop them doing anything else by clicking down until all the boxes for the dupe you're enforcing bedrest for have Xs in them.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

The Enigma of Oceania Fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

Dupe mined out a straight block of 3 tiles with wildly different priority levels while ignoring other blocks of much higher priority, after mining out one of the only two minimum-priority tile designated for mining in the entire base.
So no, the dupe did not follow the set priorities.

If you need it drawn out for clarity, lovely ASCII style:

XXX11XXXXXX

I expected to run into problems once it got down to all 2s and to pause and manually reprioritize. Instead they knocked out the 625 block after one, but not both, of the 1s. Cave ground was uneven so there was a safe drop below.
so you set the task of digging out all the numbered blocks, and were surprised when it was done as indicated? proximity factors into tasks