Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

berzerkmonkey posted:

God help me, I just bought two boxes of the "Start Collecting" Ironjawz. I put a bid of $60 each, and it was immediately accepted.

I don't even know if there is a local AoS community... :ohdear:

There is always a community for rad Orks. These models were some of the first things they released that actually made me consider playing AoS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

richyp posted:

He has stairs in his garden for sure.

:allears:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, I have the suspicion that if you don't collect 'em all, you're going to be on the wrong foot with this game.

:toot: This is exactly what killed X Wing for me. I just want to drive a cool Y Wing and bomb fools, I don't want cards from three different ships cards to do it.

If they drop Beastmen I will have to get at least that all the same.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I have some Dragon Princes coming in the mail and I am excited to build some fancy Elf boys. In AoS are they still on calvary bases or on like a 40mm round or something?

Also, changing the name to Dragon Blades is dumb. :colbert:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I would be so hype for new Strigoi. They were always my favorite Vampire family.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

moths posted:

It's defeated by the depiction of the gas being used to lift the dwarves, though. Gas floats because it's less dense than surrounding air, but it's stored under pressurized conditions, which is why you don't see helium tanks floating around.

It's really janky imagery.

We don't know that the gas is under pressure in those mysterious spheres. :shrug: Maybe in the AoS setting Dwarfs have forgotten most of their science from the Old World and everything now is weird cargo Cult stuff based on what they think ancient Dwarfs did.

Boy, Age of Sigmar could really use a setting beyond infinite dimensions of War.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

moths posted:

It's like if a fantasy fortress were designed with all the aesthetics and trappings of an aquarium because "it's where creatures live for their own safety."

It makes sense from a certain perspective, but standing anywhere else it's just dumb.

I want to fight epic battles in this world.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

gripping beast is my platonic ideal of wargame company that i like to give money to

dunno if i really want to get into why i think gw is still bad here, it will just devolve into the usual suspects trotting out the same old arguments and hot takes on both sides. there is a death thread buried somewhere in this subforum that would be a better place for it

:laffo:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The Deleter posted:

Are you so insecure that you need to run into every GW thread to defend them when someone criticizes them even the slightest? That's sad.

Yes.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

JcDent posted:

Also, the realms are of infinite size or something? Like, a world stretching into forever.

I think each Realm is basically infinite dimensions or something? Basically big enough where no conflict is ever meaningful.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Arkhan the Black looks the coolest, by far.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I am actually pretty interested in Ghost Pirates, so hopefully they will get some neat stuff.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TKIY posted:

I'm so tired of Stormcast models.

I am just waiting for more Elves, honestly. At least the new Stormcast Father-Engineer or whatever is a person with an actual purpose beyond generic soldier.

If only there was context to where he was forcing his Dwarf Servants to build a cool golden fort.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

moths posted:

Can't be, she's high priestess of the Cult of Slaanesh Order, not Death.

It's the dumbest fluff revision.

Well, officially...

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Miles O'Brian posted:

So they're definitely getting models at some point, basically

Nagash set that precedent, so why not do the others?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Milotic posted:

New Malign Portents story is up: https://malignportents.com/story/to-truly-excel/

Definitely getting a bit more Grimdark.

I am really glad they are leaning into what makes Sigmarines interesting. The idea that these heroes are sacrificing their humanity and identity to serve their God is a nice conflict. Seeing your old companions reborn but clearly missing part of what made them who they were is interesting.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I mean Order =/= Good.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Decided to go with fluff over gameplay, and bought into Bonesplitterz.

Time to kill the biggest monster I can find.

:allears:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

They're so much fun to paint so far, since they're like, 80% green. So much so that I don't care that they have literally one viable list!

No, hell yeah I really support this. Savage Orks are one of my favorite things about Orks and a full army is something I have considered in the past.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Moose-Alini posted:

The newest malign portents story got me amped up for stormcast again. It's exactly the kind of lore that got me interested in them when it came out. So good, you are evil.

Unironically agree!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Please don't disparage the Old World in this thread, tia

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

:smith:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Honestly I am excited they are making two different settings (well fully different systems too) for the new rpg books they are making. WFRP is easily one of my favorite games to play, but I think you could do some interesting stuff in the AoS setting. I get why they went to the 40k style freedom of a setting so big nothing ever really matters. Having lots of space to play around in can lead to interesting things, but until very recently AoS had been too undefined. I was honestly wondering if towns and cities even existed or just Khorne Boys in forts fighting Sigmarines over nothing.

I would have been way less salty if AoS had been an alternative high fantasy sword and sorcery setting along side the Old World, even if they stopped supporting things in it. The way they brutally slit 8th editions throat and hurled the body in a dumpster was the worst thing.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Can ranged guys still shoot the same guys they are also locked in combat with? Or shoot out of their combat into another combat?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TKIY posted:

That's the best terrain kit ever. I'm so stoked to be able to get it.

Yeah, it was definitely one of the ones I always wanted and put off buying. Hopefully I won't miss it this time.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

It is a good thing to punish lots of little shooting units.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Are the Sigmarine Angel guys as much of a nightmare to transport as I imagine they are?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I hate that I love Vampires, and the Strigoi in particular. I assume they won't get much if anything because they already have a book.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just discovered Thunder Boys get guys with huge axes that get to attack everything within range.

:getin:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really hope this is just AoS 2nd with the 40k 8th rules now they have refined the 1st Ed AoS rules.

Shooting out of combat into combat is straight up dumb.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

wyrd manages to price their plastic multipart monopose 32mm heroic scale single figure packs for around 11 bucks and still keep the lights on. but of course im sure gw is being totally fair with their pricing

Whatever people are willing to pay is fair for luxury goods so...

:shrug:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TKIY posted:

Throwing together some gravesite markers for the new death book. I figure 60mm rounds gives enough space to let you decorate them.

They'll get textured resin and paints on the base and vegetation tufts after getting painted:

https://imgur.com/a/3f6B9

Very spooky.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Anyone who thinks the Generals Handbook didn't save Age of Sigmar is dumb, and if they won't admit that it at least popularized it they are also insane.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I kinda like that the armies are so limited in scope, way more than I expected too. Helps work to keep the game sizes lower, but also playing really big games becomes more about forces working together to fight the big battle rather than just a horde of the same basic stuff.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Lion Rangers is my favorite Order Faction.

:shepicide:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I want Sea Elves for sure, but destruction needs some more cool guys.

Elves not aligned with Order could be good at least...

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/17/sky-storm-new-releases-warhammer-age-sigmar/

Can anyone tell me why Stormcast needed another Start Collecting box? Especially when so many factions in 40k and AoS are missing one.

I like Stormcast Eternals way more than I expected after reading the Plague Garden book. The souls of the greatest heroes from all eternity being degraded over and over as a last ditch chance to save reality from sinister Gods is a pretty solid hook for magic fantasy knights. It is a level of sacrifice you just don't usually get from brainwashed child soldiers with power armor.

Imagine what 40k would look like if the got rid of Codex Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Grey Knights and any other force outside Codex Vanilla Space Marines? Sigmarines having one book really helps them share the spotlight with the other Order factions.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

With all the little factions it seems like it was designed to work that way though. I think the problem is that Death and (especially) Destruction need more factions to make them more on par with Order.

I really want to see human armies for all the factions as viable things.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Tardigrade posted:

The flesh-eater courts are good! They’re noble lords and ladies fighting to protect the rolling green hills of their home.

Very true. They have awesome fluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yeah, the Zombies and Skeletons are really nice. I dread the idea of building GW skeletons or Grave Guard ever again.

• Locked thread