Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Can somebody who bought that new Stormcast Eternals battletome tell me if the Celestial Knights have their own rules? I've had the AoS starter set forever and finally want to get painting and their color scheme is my favorite from what I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
From what I can tell a bunch of them so have their own rules in the newest book, actually. It was all over BoLS a month or two ago

E: For those curious the answer to my question is no, but the Tempest Lords have a similar scheme and do have rules.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 5, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well, I finally bit the bullet. I've picked up the new Stormcast Eternals Battletome, the General's Handbook and ordered the Start Collecting: Stormcast Eternals to go with my starter box.

It's all because I decided I really liked how Stormcast look with the Tempest Lords color scheme but as I've been reading more and more about the game I think it looks like a ton of fun.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It would actually be pretty cool if they give you bonuses for running mixed armies themed around these new city states. I've barely thought about AoS recently as 40k is actually good now so this new campaign will hopefully be a good reason for me to finish building the models I have.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

Have the formulas for the texture paints gotten better?

I tried Agrellen Earth when it first came out and I had a hell of a time getting it to stick. It kept flaking off. Painting and drybrushing it were impossible. I tried on bare plastic, on primer, and on a base coat of normal acrylic.

Armageddon Dunes is incredible. Picked it up a week or so ago for basing my Blood Angels and I'm never using anything else for sand again.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Like many other people I feel the Age of Sigmar setting could be the Outer Planes to the old world.

The Age of Sigmar setting is even set up like Norse Mythology. With diffrent realms and stuff, they could just make the old world Midgard.

I'm sure GW has had thoughts about doing some sort of retcon to this effect but let's be honest here- that's pretty high risk. I honestly don't think Stormcast would ever fit in with the setting of the old world in such a way that they feel right.

I think this new thing they're doing with city-states could be sort of cool. The big thing the setting is missing is any sort of grounding; we have no idea how common people live, or even where they live for the most part. Hopefully this new track will be enough.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

You can make female Sigmarines even easier than a head swap. Just add a line in the fluff that states, "Some of these are women."

Boom, done.

Fully armored warriors in masks. There doesn't need to be any specific gendering.
They'd actually already done that for the Tempest Lords if I remember correctly

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

Honestly that's pretty cool if they have.

The way I remember it Sigmar saved the entire household of some particularly badass king, the members of which would become the Tempest Lords. I don't think it was explicitly stated that there were women included but it was heavily implied.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
GW does seem to at least be trying to give a poo poo about this stuff in AoS. I completely agree with Atlas Hugged in that I think even these new models are still excessively sexualized, but I do feel like it's important to give the sculptors some credit here. I'd be flat out embarrassed to show people a lot of GWs older sculpts of women. Repentia, Dark Eldar slave... The list goes on.

I actually really like the female hero model for Blightwater now though. I could definitely live without the boob plate, comparitively subdued as it is, but when taken as a whole the model looks like a badass warrior and not a sex object.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Representation is a big deal for a lot of reasons, moral and business. I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how well the conversation in this thread has gone as most of the rest of the internet would have thrown a tantrum by now.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It's the leader from the upcoming Blightwater box. I'm quite the fan of the model.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Rules for a combined Stormcast/Kharadron army? This does not bode well for my wallet. No, it does not.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It's incredibly amusing to me that just as 40k has become sigmarized, AoS has gained more and more of 7th editions bloat. Truly the cycle continues.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I saw some gameplay for Shadespire last night and it actually looks pretty fun. I'm tentatively excited to pick it up. Since it's a board game with a fairly quick playtime I may even be able to play a game with a family member or something instead of having to track down the local hams.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

Correct, supposedly Fyreslayer Dorfs as well.

Personally gonna grab me some Skellies, drowning dudes in weak, resurectable chaff is extremely my jam.

Mine too, which is why I'm going to pick up the (presumably) even chaff-ier Skaven.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Skaven are coming eventually at least. There's a picture they released with all the various factions that will come out and there were definitely some rat people. Stormcast showed up twice so they may get two releases.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Now that I'm home here's the image I was talking about :

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to try to pick it up. It looks pretty fun from what I've seen and the models are great looking too.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I saw something that said $60

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Danimo posted:

I gave the new book Spear of Shadows by Josh Reynolds a shot and find it pretty decent. It does a lot for the background, in the same ways that Firestorm does. Feels like they're finally making good on the setting.

I posted a bit about that book in the Black Library thread. I was really impressed with the result of all their worldbuilding after reading the first book in the series.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

One that worshiped Allarielle and was close to FB but with more twigs and sticks, and a faction of Nurgle-worshipping Bretonnian types locked in total war against each other.

There's a character in the Eight Lamentations books who fits the bill of a knight with added twigs and sticks. His sword was even made out of a special type of wood.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Think about the Dwarves in The Hobbit though. Definitely some wandering there.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It's a Rick and Morty thing. You aren't missing anything.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

GW is a corporation beholden to the interests of its investors and assigning a moral attribute to it, whether it be good or bad, only empowers the capitalists.

Not empty quoting.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Xarbala posted:

This is the dark timeline.

That's all that gave it away for you?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

They posted the Order champion:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the italicized part seems like an angle to reintroduce elements of the old setting.

The age of myth is the time period in the new setting where Sigmar was originally creating his pantheon and everything things were going pretty well for everyone before chaos hosed everything up. You are unfortunately reading too much in to this particular bit, although I would not be at all surprised if they do try to bring the old world back in some fashion.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I've never actually managed to play a game of AoS and have a bunch of unassembled or unpainted Stormcast stuff and yet they are somehow managing to hype me up with this release, whatever it ends up being. I suppose I am in the sigmar-curious camp and as such am sort of the target audience for this stuff.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
What was that music from? I barely payed attention to the video because I was so distracted trying to place where I'd heard it before.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Please don't disparage the Old World in this thread, tia

Everyone knows it's best to not speak ill of the dead.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I only got into the setting with Total War: Warhammer but it really was pretty rad. :rip:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

S.J. posted:

isn't that just like libertarians or whatever

:potg:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

I would recommend staying away from the AoS reddit

You don't say.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

In interesting news. A new Gotrek and Feilix book is coming.

Whaaaaaaaat?

Where are you seeing this at?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

I have Alarielle, 4 treelords, 4 Branchwyches, 64 Dryads, 5 Tree Revenants, 12 Kurnoth Hunters, and 5 Citadel Woods. The only things assembled are Alarielle, 2 Branchwyches, and 40 Dryads.

Are there any powerful builds for Sylvaneth currently? It seems the dramatic point cost increases for batallions and Kurnoth Hunters really hurt them.

I am going to have about a month to work on this stuff. Any suggestions of what to build out or thing I need? I was thinking 2 Ancients, Durthu, and a Treelord for my big boys.

I have no insight into your actual questions but that beetle is utterly gorgeous.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
My suspicion is that the faction clusterfuck was a precursor of sorts to the 40k keyword system, and that when the time comes for a major rules revision we'll see those keywords implemented in AoS as well.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I've had the Stormcast from the starter set sitting unassembled for like a year at this point because I've never found a paint scheme I particularly care for. I'm considering doing an Imperial Fists style yellow for the challenge- has anyone seen something similar?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kilazar posted:

Cool :) I don't post much. Just too lazy to figure out proper hosting for forum attach.

I need more practice at brush work lighting. I can't seem to get my paint to the right consistency to be a translucent glaze. Either it is just a touch too opaque, or the color breaks up to visible dots in the water.

Thought about doing it with the airbrush. But my aim is poo poo. So troop level models are not doable for tiny osl effects.

Just use imgur for image hosting and be very careful to ignore their community.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thanquol is still around?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah most of the Skaven survived the End Times. I think the only Skaven character confirmed to die was Queek. Because of them living between reality and because of their gods blessing I assume Seers like Thanquol can live a long time.

That’s pretty cool. They had some fun characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

That video is really endearingly goofy. Someone help, I'm falling for marketing.

• Locked thread