Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

tbf there was also a 2016 - Except Those Two gently caress Those Guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Its funny how jezzails have remained the biggest loving ripoff in the range for like 20 years at this point.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

it's funny how introducing the WHITE PRIDE GIRLS HAVE COOTIES marines into fantasy has turned out to be their stepping stone to making the game more diverse. it's still tiny GW baby steps in tyool 2017 obviously but hey.

i'm also down with the female sigmarine because being smaller and slimmer is just what they should all look like anyway. as if anyone's body is the shape of that loving golden sumo armour.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

those look like quality models but I'm disappointed we aren't getting some of malekith's shadow elf bois with a name like Shadespire, they're one of the few AoS revamps that actually intrigues me.

e: they look like they're from a different company or a kickstarter or some poo poo, which in this case is good as hell.

TKIY posted:

A thread closure is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for posters to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the OP than on the posters. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.
oh my loving life

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 23, 2017

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

The thing that bothers me about GW apologists is their insistence that being able to play the game how they want is somehow mutually exclusive from a game having comprehensive rules and balanced mechanics. Do they not realize that there is no miniature game police? I could go to my FLGS tomorrow and play a game of Kings of War where I fielded nothing but Troops even though that's a clear violation of the rules. As long as my opponent agrees, who cares?

I do not understand what is controversial about saying, "It is better to have good rules that you can choose to ignore than it is to have an incomplete game."
remember when that GW manager wrote the angry Facebook posts thanking them for freeing players from the tyranny of points lol

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

GreenMarine posted:

Some recently completed things:

Have 2 palladors finished and the third one waiting. Probably will finish the Gorechosen characters first.
Those are some lovely birdies, why they got bundled with sigmarines is beyond me.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Skaven can also be played as monster/gunline poo poo over hordes now right? You can get your three battleline units for 180pts total then go nuts.

(or you can even go full skyre and get stormfiends as battle line)

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

richyp posted:

All the characters have definitely gone as they have "alternative wallscrolls" mentioned on the back page. Also they replaced the old links for the compendiums with these ones on the store page too. I'm guessing it was deliberate but they'll back pedal a bit as it makes no sense to remove models. e.g. back of Skaven compendium (from the rules section of the store and the FAQ updates version)

most (or even all?) of these have been gone since AoS first hit

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Sylaventh and oversquats aren't allies, so you'd have to run an Order allegiance army to use them both, no faction specific rules.

(easy enough since they both have decent non-specific battleline units)

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Midig posted:

I have to say that I am disappointed in how the game has changed from a gameplay perspective. However, I am way more mad about the direction they take with the art. The way I see it Bretonnia has been switched out and it's not long until the same happens to HE and Empire models. I feel like I should buy Beastmen, Empire or HE packs before they start to cost a poo poo ton of money on ebay. I also always wanted to start with Ogre Kingdoms and they seem to be relevant for the game and new art direction so perhaps a good choice for me.
squatting has only ever happened to ranges that sell comically poorly, with lots of advanced warning and a big old last chance to buy sign on the GW website, usually following years of neglect in terms of both models and rules. and in the case of AoS anything that's had new fluff for the new setting is safe (most helves and AFAIK all Empire are written into some faction's lore).

Be more worried about individual units/models getting pruned, especially 'redundant' character models, although I don't think any compendium units are still being sold at this point so everything else is probably sticking around.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Empire models have a pretty central place in AoS though, as the Freeguild. I know prevailing wisdom is GW wants to dump anything that isn't a space marine or a topknotted khorne nutter, but AoS really is just fantasy 9th at this point and squatting is no more or less likely than in WFB days.

Once you get away from stormcast (who in fairness are loving everywhere) most of the range is present and visually/tonally unchanged.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 16, 2017

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Freeguild are pretty much the fancy imperial guard now, they get pushed more than the actual IG.

(again, still gently caress all relative to stormcasts)

e: otoh i'd be even more confident in their future if they didn't still have KF and STIRLAND written all over the studio models :effort:

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 16, 2017

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Savages orcs got a theme list in the back of the book at most. they're way more prominent in AoS than they ever were in fantasy.

with the downside of that being their whole army is two plastic kits and their optional loudouts.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

I'm glad professional designers never care about that bullshit the way nerds do. pressurised gas and my misshaped steampunk jetpacks :qq:

JcDent posted:

On the other hand, not many people know about that pressure thing, so the designers don't really care.

So what's the deal with the stupid gold varieties the naked pervs and the sky beards are chasing? Does anyone know much fluff about that?
iirc the gas gold is just magic gas, the oily slayers chase unrelated bits of gold that are possessed by pieces of gotrek/grimnir after a giant salamander wrecked his poo poo and there really needs to be an AoS emoticon I can end sentences like that with.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 18, 2017

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Yeah no surprises 'too detailed/busy' went from being a useful criticism (when it's loving up a model's silhouette or detracting from the features that matter) to being stock phrase #1134 for nerd slapfights about taste.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Nah man I think nerds are just loving retarded. :c00l:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Tbf the new lord of change is probably the last aos model I really thought suffered from detail cruft because it's such a simple concept and the old goofy one managed to have some actual attitude despite being about 1/3 the size and much plainer.

Kharadrons I guess but it works for the aeronautical/pirate fucks to be festooned with gear.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Midig posted:

Ogre Kingdoms are safe IMO. Seems like most of their models are fairly new by GW standards. I fear that VC is slowly turning away from zombies altogether.
funnily enough OK splits right into one army with the two fanciest most recent kits, a full codex/new lore for their AoS revamp and a start collecting set, and one with all the original decade+ old models from their launch and gently caress all support...

if squatting does happen it would make more sense to do it along the AoS faction lines than the WFB race ones too imo. Anyone with a battletome, a couple of recent/dual-use kits or reasonably reworked lore is probably safe. if you had to pick a faction for the block it would be Gitmob Grots, since they have no re-released kits, no faction allegiance or allies box, an average sculpt age of about 20 years and pretty cursory lore. Greenskinz are the same, although at least they get an SC box.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Gh2017 is p much all you need, even battletome wise only pure khorne and tzeentch daemons use one and Ironjawz one isn't a real one, all their allegiance rules and poo poo are in the latest GH instead.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

It's Malignant on its Warscroll now but that may be a GHB2 change?
The army is Nighthaunt, malignant is AFAIK a totally meaningless keyword they used on a start collecting box for a nonexistent army.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

There's a load of good reasons not to open the chaos stormcast door (stormcasts are hand-picked adults who have lived a mortal life and personally hate chaos for loving them over, space marines are stunted indoctrinated babies) but they'll probably do it for easy money/some creative director pushing the story in the most boring direction.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Zuul the Cat posted:

Does Sigmar have a physical form in this setting? I thought he was just a god?
afaik he's still tooling around in Karl Franz's dead body from the end times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

they might just want to break from the X-marked marauders units the first two got, especially since mortal nurgle seems to be themed on small numbers of elite fat guys over hordes.

• Locked thread