Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Lex
80s Luger
Narcissist
Lex Express
Heel but Still Sting's Bud
SUPER BABYFACE '97
THE TOTAL PACKAGE
View Results

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

People hate Lex Luger. Claim he never had good matches, that he could never draw, was lazy, had a bad attitude, etc. It never seems entirely fair.

Every charge you can level at Lex you could level at Sting, except Lex didn't drag his sorry rear end around TNA for a decade. Yet Sting is fairly beloved and Lex is reviled. Why?

Remember when WWE was so mad at Lex Luger they put out a hit piece to convince their fans that he murdered Miss Elizabeth?

Well gently caress the lying fascists at WWE. Lex Luger rules. He saved America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v-vSfCAF0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKFyI7pqqLg

Beyond ironic love for the Lex Express, Lex could be loving great at different things.

In 1997 who carried the babyface side for WCW? It wasn't Sting, he was barely on the shows. It was Lex and it culminated in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEZkEH4mENQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEuQRggqU7A

Remember his heel run in 1995 when his buddy Sting vouched for him while everyone else thought he was scum? Remember how hilarious he was as he proudly displayed his tag and TV titles?

Remember 1988 and 89 when he was having great matches all the time?

It wasn't just Flair and Steamboat carrying him. He had good to great matches with Michael Hayes, Brian Pillman, Tommy Rich, Muta, Hansen, Spivey and others during that run. Then there is the classic Superbrawl tag with Sting against the Steiners. There's the fact his run from this period drew better than Sting's. Then there's

THE TOTAL PACKAGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlJ15JYQ5gA

Luger was pretty horrible in the ring after 97. He wasn't really that good in the years prior, but after he's immobile and awful. So he became a comedy upper midcarder. The Total Package continually tries to duck matches (especially Meng) convince Sting he's not going to betray him and claims to be injured constantly. It's all amazing stuff. Between this and 95/96, Luger is the fantastic comedy heel that people try to claim Jeff Jarrett is. There's also his earnest character work as the Narcissist.

The next time someone tries to tell you Lex Luger sucks, forearm them in the face and put them in the Torture Rack. Luger rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHTj7qfnTak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He hit his niche with The Narcissist, giant freaky strength rear end in a top hat who could be distracted with mirrors. I was sad that ended

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

OSW Review's Dungeon of Doom arc convinced me of Luger's greatness. His character work and over-the-top vocal selling were just the best. I also thought the Narcissist was great

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you liked the Narcissist you really need to see his run as THE TOTAL PACKAGE. Every week on Tuesday Nitro there's an insane Luger skit or story arc that is better than the last. Like last week where he reveals he has Miss Elizabeth signed to an exclusive deal, so he's booking her in a match against Meng. She locks herself in a shark cage so The Total Package has the cage forklifted to the ring.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

MassRafTer posted:

If you liked the Narcissist you really need to see his run as THE TOTAL PACKAGE. Every week on Tuesday Nitro there's an insane Luger skit or story arc that is better than the last. Like last week where he reveals he has Miss Elizabeth signed to an exclusive deal, so he's booking her in a match against Meng. She locks herself in a shark cage so The Total Package has the cage forklifted to the ring.

Are you talking about a dream you had?!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Are you talking about a dream you had?!

He did it because she maced him by accident.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Lex Luger is the best.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Remember when he faced Yokozuna for the title and won by DQ and all the faces got in the ring and celebrated and there was balloons and confetti?

Good times.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

4% body fat

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

6'4'', 270

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Hmm, I think Luger sucks, but on the other hand I completely agree that he's way better and cooler than Sting, so I have to support this thread.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The Total Package ducking matches is incredible.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The Total Package ducking matches is incredible.

He tries to duck a match with KAZ HAYASHI!

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Agreed, op.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I was going to post a counter argument but I think I actually agree with you here.
I just can never figure what Lex's actual legacy in wrestling is.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I never liked his in ring style or the torture rack finisher but I did really enjoy his characters and he does indeed rule. The narcissist and THE LEX EXPRESS were so good.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

ChrisBTY posted:

I was going to post a counter argument but I think I actually agree with you here.
I just can never figure what Lex's actual legacy in wrestling is.

They tried to make him tge next Hulk Hogan and the fans rejected him because he wasnr ready in the ring or on tge mic at tge time.

Rex Ruger.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

They tried to make him tge next Hulk Hogan and the fans rejected him because he wasnr ready in the ring or on tge mic at tge time.

Rex Ruger.

They rejected him because it was the same thing they'd seen for 10 years and wanted something new.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lid posted:

Rex Ruger.

Are you ok

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

TheHoosier posted:

OSW Review's Dungeon of Doom arc convinced me of Luger's greatness. His character work and over-the-top vocal selling were just the best. I also thought the Narcissist was great

Seriously. How is it that a story arc with the Dungeon of Doom got overshadowed by Lex Luger just trying to entertain himself every PPV

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Miss Elizabeth RIP.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

I suck with phone keyboards on h and g

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Midnightghoul posted:

Seriously. How is it that a story arc with the Dungeon of Doom got overshadowed by Lex Luger just trying to entertain himself every PPV

Because the DoD was silly and stupid and everybody knew it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Luger was indeed bad at many thing but he was also entertaining as gently caress in spite of it.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Lex's selling is still the best

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cB5sXbMKD1U

I loved when Lex won the title on nitro as a kid.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There is no case for Sting over Luger, and there never has been.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i found a LEX LUGER THE TOTAL PACKAGE tshirt once at goodwill and i kick myself for losing it somewhere, even though i bought it in junior year of high school and am almost most assuredly too fat to wear it now.

i literally cant find it on the internet, gently caress i wish i still had that shirt.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

GOAT

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a look into the future of sincere roman reigns threads

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
biddly bee biddly bee https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elf59v2ldsY

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cavauro posted:

a look into the future of sincere roman reigns threads

Who's the bad wrestler voted into the WON Hall over Roman, Seth Rollins?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Post good Lex matches like Lex vs. Parka
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9yhep_lex-luger-vs-la-parka_sport

https://twitter.com/DurkHendrunkqs/status/836079017455407104

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 27, 2017

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Alain Post posted:

Who's the bad wrestler voted into the WON Hall over Roman, Seth Rollins?

Ambrose is also a fit to this insanely smart analogy we are riffing about but i don't think he gets in.

furthremore, lex luger is a very successful record producer. I love Lex

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

MRT once again with the truth. Everyone hop on the lex express.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
for the record, as much as i am into Lex > Sting, I don't think Lex has an individual series as good as Sting-Vader, but Lex just kills him career-wise

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I thought Lex had a better case than Sting. Lex should be in the hall. Screw you shave seltzer.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
My mom always wanted to watch wrestling for that dreamboat luger!!! Made more sense when he got older and I realized that he facially looks just like my uncle. K that's my luger story

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Hey gently caress yeah.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Another good thing about Lex is that, as far as I remember, he was a proto-Kevin Nash.

Insomuch as he didn't really care about 'the business' and negotiated good deals for himself on pay and schedule etc. Deals that showed the other wrestlers what they could ask for, and deals on things like time off etc. that eventually became standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I remember when that match against flair was stopped for blood and luger thought he won the title but didn't. So annoyed.

• Locked thread