Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Have fun with it. At the very least your ears will thank you,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Very nice choice. Enjoy. :)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Theres a guy with one that I see a couple time a week on my commute. Those things sound awesome.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I went to Alfa club trackday with the GTV6. One of the guys had just received his Qiulia QV. Kudos to him for taking it track and participating in a "time-attack" competition. Here's the two most recent Alfa RWD sports sedans,separated by 30 years:

Queuing for the time-attack. GTV6 in front was the fastest car of the day. My GTV6 at the back.

My GTV6 on the pitlane.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I had a dream last night that I my Abarth started blowing black smoke and throwing every idiot light on the dash at me.

I had to go check when I woke up to make sure it was actually a dream and not something that really happened yesterday.

#justfiatthings

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
I've always had a thing for the GTV6, that's a beauty. There's a former Alfa factory trained mechanic who lives near me. He's in his late 70's and in poor health. Sitting in his driveway, under covers are a late 80's GTV6, an early 90's 164S, and a silver Spider Quad. Seems such a shame that they don't get driven.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I love GTV6's. If they don't suddenly rocket in price I'm planning to get one as soon as I can afford / have time / can find one that I like. The sound is just the absolute best, and I love the design.

Of course every time DoLittle posts his GTV6 the urge rises and I'm very jealous.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Drove a '13 500 Sport today.

Hooooly crap. I drive a 1.6 miata and this thing was SO slow. Car is 4 years old with a broken arm rest, worn buttons, broken trunk lid and the prop for the hood fell to the ground when I opened it.

Biggest disappointment? My head touches the roof. For such a tall car I expected tons more space. :sigh:

Guess I'll keep driving my miata everywhere.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The sport is just a base model 500 with a body kit.

Drive a turbo or an Abarth.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

eyebeem posted:

This. Anything not covered by the list above is a tarted up panda.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I want Fiat to bring back the Panda 100hp.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

eyebeem posted:

Literally 3x the cost. I'd just buy an FR-S/BRZ.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blaise posted:

Literally 3x the cost. I'd just buy an FR-S/BRZ.

No it's not. In the world of Fiat, especially Abarth, sticker price is meaningless.

Also, never under any circumstances should anyone buy a new 500.

(It's also literally 3x the car)

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I'm shopping used. 4k is local 500 price if you shop around, 12k+ for an abarth. That's into BRZ/FR-S territory.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blaise posted:

I'm shopping used. 4k is local 500 price if you shop around, 12k+ for an abarth. That's into BRZ/FR-S territory.

Fair enough.

The FR-S is a "better" car, no doubts. I really, really love my Abarth cabrio, though. Back when it was my daily driver I wasn't quite as in love with it, but not that it's only driven on the occasional fun drive, I really appreciate it so much more.

I'm not advocating that you buy one, but you should drive one just to see what they are like. My wife had her 500 Pop for about a year before I decided I wanted an Abarth, and driving one for the first time after having only driven her 500 was pretty hysterical. It's like throwing on a pair of rollerblades right after roller skates.

That analogy makes me sound old.

*edit* $12k for an abarth sounds like a lot, depending on the year. When I was thinking of selling my 2013 Cabrio with 35,000 miles, I was looking at $11,500-12,000 realistically on the private party market. The coupes are a good $2,000 cheaper still.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BR-Zs cost $12k now???

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cheapest I can find over here is £14k and that's a solid £4k cheaper than the next one.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Fell in love with the Abarth 500 on a test drive at a dealer. Didn't end up buying it, probably for the best since I later learned the way to go is used with these. Looks like they go for around 12k around Seattle. Is there any year I should avoid? I'm trying to hold off pulling the trigger until we get a house because I'd have to pay for an extra parking spot, but its tough.

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 16, 2017

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

BR-Zs cost $12k now???

Around 10-12 for R-title and 12-15 for non. So yes. BRZ/FR-S

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Blaise posted:

Around 10-12 for R-title

Guessing there are a number of this about because 18 year olds get them and think they are an anime.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ADINSX posted:

Fell in love with the Abarth 500 on a test drive at a dealer. Didn't end up buying it, probably for the best since I later learned the way to go is used with these. Looks like they go for around 12k around Seattle. Is there any year I should avoid? I'm trying to hold off pulling the trigger until we get a house because I'd have to pay for an extra parking spot, but its tough.

2013+ for reliability
2015+ for the better cup holders and LCD gauge cluster at the expense of ecu tuning ease

For me, 2013 or 2014 are the sweet spot. I have two 2013s.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Anyone familiar with removing vinyl decals like these? Assuming it isn't hard, any red flags with this posting? I might check it out this weekend

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Stickers come off easy. Thats a drat good deal for such low mileage. Nothing glaring other than that.

It has turbo headlights, though, so it has been "modded" to some degree.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Yeah, my wife de-stickered her Civic Si. IIRC, we used a hairdryer to heat them, and then they peeled fairly well. Little bit of residue cleaned up with dish soap diluted in water.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I've just closed on a deal for a 1970 Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1.3S that I'm planning on restoring with my dad. It's relatively rust free and the engine turns over, but everything needs work - it hasn't run in a long time, it only shifts into two gears, no brakes, and the paint is pretty awful. I'm pretty excited, it's being delivered in three weeks:

Potato quality pictures, but yeah. If people are interested, I'll make a thread for it when it's delivered.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Very cool! Pictures would be awesome.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Cool car ! That should make for an interesting project. I'd love to see the progression,

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Grakkus posted:

I've just closed on a deal for a 1970 Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1.3S that I'm planning on restoring with my dad. It's relatively rust free and the engine turns over, but everything needs work - it hasn't run in a long time, it only shifts into two gears, no brakes, and the paint is pretty awful. I'm pretty excited, it's being delivered in three weeks:

Potato quality pictures, but yeah. If people are interested, I'll make a thread for it when it's delivered.

Is that really a Rallye 1.3S? Looks like an S2 1.3S with the five-speed leva corta gearbox (and S2 badging, stamped steel wheels without covers, etc). Brakes are supposedly quite a lot easier to source and restore, so you have that going for you.

I will be very excited to see progress.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I went ahead and bought the fabolous italian auto that I had posted above. Had a dealer do a user car inspection (plus a bore scope) that came back clean. He had lowered the price and I was able to knock a bit more off due to some cosmetic issues. Enjoying the car so far, just picked up a bottle of Goo Gone to tackle those awful stickers.

The headlights are some mopar dealer thing the previous previous owner installed, but he still had the originals so if it isn't too hard I'll probably swap those back in

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I thought that the blacked out headlights were a factory option, not DIA.

If you want to see a beautiful example of Italian carrozzeria there is a Farina Lancia Aurelia on BAT right now.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
They are likely the OE turbo headlights. It's a common swap.

I'd be interested in buying them if you swap them out.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

eyebeem posted:

They are likely the OE turbo headlights. It's a common swap.

I'd be interested in buying them if you swap them out.

I'll keep that in mind, I was gonna look into doing that when I have some free time in a couple of weeks

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Italian Car drive and meetup today. Nice array. Two Junior Zagatos, Two boattails, two GTV6's and a cool Lancia, along with a nice sampling of Fiats, Abarths, and Giulias.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Crossposting from the AI car poo poo thread -

Saw this in a Morrison's car park today.

Apparently it is a Fiat Impala and it has a 4 speed manual transmission. This is all I could tell.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A quick Google suggests a uk-based 500(original) or 146-based kit car. That is absurdly tiny and adorably. Want one.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
here, have some Fabulous Italian Automobile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd0jkp7-ozU

that's a dream car for me

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've always known that Italian cars are hilariously unreliable and strangely designed. Is this still the case? Why is/has that been the case?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Car and Driver took a drive in a Stelvio. They were impressed. Between this and the Giulia, they may become a relevant brand again.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
My Giulia might be the best automotive decision I've ever made. It literally makes me grin, driving to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cholmondeley posted:

My Giulia might be the best automotive decision I've ever made. It literally makes me grin, driving to work.

Our own drgitlin just posted review of the Giulia over at Ars Tech. He seems to agree with you.

• Locked thread