Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

My new commute has me putting $85-90 in gas every 4-5 days in my '12 TL Advance (Elite). I think I should sell it and buy a 124 Spider Abarth. I live out in the country in Canada where we get lots of snow. Tell me this is a bad idea. I would put snow tires on it.

I own a 124 Spider (Lusso trim level, not Abarth, though). It's fantastic. Lots of people drive them in snow.

Live the dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Completely unfair, as it's parked outside a shop, but I love that in this random news clip, an Integrale has its hood up and a service van in front of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPKY1pFyqu8&t=123s

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Quest is so loving weird....

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's better moving. Here's some footage of the 2018 Abarth 124 Rally at Monte Carlo last weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBWBs5mA3Qk

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Shrapnig posted:

I'm going to be getting rid of my '15 STI at some point this year and am looking for something that's for lack of a better term, more refined than my current car. What's the consensus on the Giulia as opposed to a 3 series, A/S3, CLA/C Class or other options in that similar price range, so that's going to exclude the QF obviously.

I had a '13 Abarth that I bought new(yeah yeah) that really soured me on the brand and the dogshit dealership network so that makes me wary. I offloaded it for the STI after about 7k miles and numerous gremlins at a monstrous loss because I was worried about the car literally falling apart on me. It was fun as hell to drive, I'll give it that.

You're likely to have all the same issues, but the Giulia is pretty nice so you should do it anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

Question for any of you that have a GTV6: I just realized that I'm probably not the average 80's Italian man, I'm 192cm (6' 3-4"), with long legs. Am I screwed?

You can't really tell unless you sit in one but as has been alluded to, you can get spacers that help with the position. If you can't get the seat far back enough, that will be a bigger challenge.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

News: http://www.motortrend.com/news/fiat-abarth-124-gt-to-debut-in-geneva-with-carbon-fiber-hard-top/

quote:

Fiat is spicing up its 124 lineup with two special edition models that will be revealed at the Geneva International motor show in March.

Painted in exclusive Alpi Orientali Grey exterior paint, the 124 Abarth GT will come with the traditional convertible soft top but will also include a lightweight hard top made entirely of carbon fiber that creates an appealing profile. The hard top weighs just over 35 pounds, is lined on the inside, and has a rear window with a defroster. Fiat claims the hardtop can be removed and reinstalled in a few easy steps.

The Abarth 124 GT also features 17-inch OZ Ultra-Light alloy wheels that are about 6.6 pounds lighter than the standard wheels. A matte black hood and a carbon-fiber rear spoiler are optional. A Gunmetal front spoiler matches the Gunmetal mirror caps, but the mirrors can also be had in red or carbon fiber.

Also debuting in Geneva is the Fiat 124 Spider S-Design, a limited edition model only available on the Lusso trim. The model features polished steel roll bars, unique 17-inch lightweight alloy wheels, a tricolor rear badge, and a lower red side stripe.

Abarth 124 GT with RHT

FIAT 124 Lusso S-Design

There are also a couple Europe-only 500 special editions.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that hard top ruins the lines

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

They should have gone full monty and done what spoon did for the s2000 with the really long hard top.

Still, wouldn't kick it out of bed as is.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Bajaha posted:

They should have gone full monty and done what spoon did for the s2000 with the really long hard top.

Still, wouldn't kick it out of bed as is.

:agreed:

I love the quasi-hatchback hard tops.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I was thinking about leasing a 2018 Giulia, all wheel drive version. Anything I should watch out for?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lladre posted:

I was thinking about leasing a 2018 Giulia, all wheel drive version. Anything I should watch out for?

it will definitely break

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that hard top ruins the lines

That's the first time I've liked the 124.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
[quote="“KYOON GRIFFEY JR”" post="“481757926”"]
it will definitely break
[/quote]

"Leasing"

And I want that 124. I might buy that.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

iwentdoodie posted:

:agreed:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

iwentdoodie posted:

Same. I'd still take the MX5/Miata over it every single time though if I were purely going on styling.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

they should make a proper 124 coupe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_124_Sport_Coup%C3%A9 bring back the AC imo

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

Lladre posted:

I've had mine for nearly a year, with no real issues, and it's a blast to own and drive. I've heard there were some software glitches on some of the early models, but I think they've been fixed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cholmondeley posted:

I've had mine for nearly a year, with no real issues, and it's a blast to own and drive. I've heard there were some software glitches on some of the early models, but I think they've been fixed.

Makes you wonder if the loaners they gave journos was a total lemon, and if the continued stigma could have been avoided by swapping a few cars out.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
So I bought a new thing and I think it might fit in here.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Nice. I see that you went with the updated Ferrari engined version. My father was looking at those. To me a 4.2 manual seemed to be the model of choice. Which gearbox you have?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Thanks! I think the Gransport may have been the only 4200GT coupé that didn't give any option *but* the cambiocorsa gearbox with the paddle shifters and F1 transaxle. Not that I mind. It does take some getting used to, but the normal mode has been fine the few times I've switched sport mode off, and in sport mode, it's just unbelievably fun. I decided on this over a Cayman S (partly because, I mean, a Ferrari F136 engine---I am only human) and I don't regret it at all. Well, I might the first time my GS has to visit a mechanic for repairs, but till then, no regrets!

Is your dad looking at any other models?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
His interest switched to a XKR. In the Maserati he liked the 3.2 (twin turbo Maserati engine) styling better, but the updated 4.2 (Ferrari engined) is certainly better car.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

ibntumart posted:

Very nice! That colour is amazing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ibntumart posted:

haha yes you are an insane person in the best possible ways

how is it?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Actually I really love it so far! Except for stop and go traffic, but I've managed to avoid that except for one trip so far. On a couple hour drive that was pretty much all highway, I got fairly decent miles per gallon (considering I thought I'd be lucky to get 19 mpg and wound up more like 22-23). And the music that is the exhaust and the engine still make me grin like an idiot.

I am even more insane than you think, by the way, as I may use this as a (semi) daily driver for the next several months.

Though what I don't understand is why Honda Accord drivers seem to hate this car. Not any other car. Several times already I've had one try to illegally pass me (and fail), tailgate me, or just flat out want to race I guess, and it's not as if I was driving at a snail's pace or anything.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ibntumart posted:

Though what I don't understand is why Honda Accord drivers seem to hate this car. Not any other car. Several times already I've had one try to illegally pass me (and fail), tailgate me, or just flat out want to race I guess, and it's not as if I was driving at a snail's pace or anything.

If I were driving an Accord, and I saw an avatar of Italian beauty in my path, I'd be frustrated to the point of anger as well :v:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Alfa Romeo Giulia coupe on the way with F1 tech, report says

quote:

A new member of the Alfa Romeo Giulia family is in the works, according to Autocar, and it may revive one of the most cherished Alfa nameplates. Due later this year, a coupe version of the Giulia is expected to offer two powertrains that will incorporate an F1-style energy recovery system (ERS).

One engine expected to make it under the hood of the coupe, which may revive the Sprint name, is a turbocharged 2.0-liter engine borrowed from the Giulia Veloce sedan good for 345 hp. A hotter offering is tipped to be the turbocharged 2.9-liter V6 borrowed from the Giulia Quadrifoglio, expected to churn out an eye-watering 641 hp. This would make it the most powerful Alfa in the lineup, Autocar notes, with its sights set on the likes of the Audi RS5, Mercedes-Benz C63 S Coupe and the BMW M4 DTM.

The ERS system that the Giulia coupe's powertrain will use is expected to be a version of the HY-KERS system created by Magneti Marelli and Ferrari for the LaFerrari, optimized for performance. The ERS system essentially uses the electric motor's low-end torque to complement the gasoline engine's torque curve; the result is better fuel consumption and cleaner emissions compared to conventional gasoline engines with comparable horserpower outputs.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Turns out the rwd 2.0L Giulia is 85% as good as the QV: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/04/the-alfa-romeo-giulia-ti-a-sports-sedan-for-people-who-want-to-drive/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The Quadrifoglio I sat in at the auto show had a perfect steering wheel. Really excited to see what this will cost in Canada.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I would certainly trust Alfa Romeo -- or any Italian manufacturer, really -- to create a reliable F1-style KERS system for use in a normal car. I mean, why not?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I am going to complain bitterly about the lack of a 3rd pedal in the lower-end Giulia until I am blue in the face. I don't give a gently caress how good the ZF 8-speed is.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am going to complain bitterly about the lack of a 3rd pedal in the lower-end Giulia until I am blue in the face. I don't give a gently caress how good the ZF 8-speed is.

I've been thinking it wouldn't bother me, but now I'm thinking of the 3 series I rented for a Cali trip and how much that 8-speed transmission (ZF? I don't remember) grated on me. Too many gears, it kept switching all the time and I always felt like I was in the wrong one.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jay Leno's Garage has featured a couple cool Lancias recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL6n-V72kNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WivocTLlcc

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Hello thread. I rented an MX-5 for two days to see what it was all about and loved it. Took it for a drive to the Nurburgring, as I live close by, and just went nuts with the rental all over the place. I was aware of the 124, liked the lines more and thought its better suited for me, so after watching a few hours of vids on Youtube, I went to my local FCA and, well, I’m picking up my Abarth 124 next week.

Mind you, I stumbled on a good specimen - it’s a January 2018 first registration demo car with 6k on it, fully loaded, black with red highlights. It was first listed at 44k EUR, went down to 37k EUR in March and I got it for 30k EUR today. The dealership just couldn’t loose it, as the price point was too high. It ended up as the car with a dealer advert on the side they’d park outside to catch attention. The Abarth 124 is, it turns out, not that popular in Germany and I sort of see why - people would rather pay more and get a “local” BMW or Porsche, or something otherwise sensible, and a car with such a narrow use case list is just un-german. People are also holding out for the new Abarth editions, and the wait time for new ones is 52 weeks, apparently.

Took a drive before signing and basically all MX-5 to 124 comparison videos confirm my feelings - while the MX-5s acceleration is linear and the car tends to be squirly, the Abarth 124 is calmer on lower gears, with a quicker top when the turbo kicks in, and the suspension and general feel is more composed. It also has that Abarth crackle from the 500, which some people claim is gone, and it sound just... loving.... nnnngh.

It’s the most fun I’ve had with cars in years and I’m super stoaked, even if at 6.4 ft I barely fit in (I know the cabin is supposed to be the same but I swear I get a few cm more of leg room and head clearance). I also love how you can reach into the engine bay and fiddle with anything, which is a great change of pace from my current BMW F11.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 4, 2018

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mokotow posted:

Hello thread. I rented an MX-5 for two days to see what it was all about and loved it. Took it for a drive to the Nurburgring, as I live close by, and just went nuts with the rental all over the place. I was aware of the 124, liked the lines more and thought its better suited for me, so after watching a few hours of vids on Youtube, I went to my local FCA and, well, I’m picking up my Abarth 124 next week.

Mind you, I stumbled on a good specimen - it’s a January 2018 first registration demo car with 6k on it, fully loaded, black with red highlights. It was first listed at 44k EUR, went down to 37k EUR in March and I got it for 30k EUR today. The dealership just couldn’t loose it, as the price point was too high. It ended up as the car with a dealer advert on the side they’d park outside to catch attention. The Abarth 124 is, it turns out, not that popular in Germany and I sort of see why - people would rather pay more and get a “local” BMW or Porsche, or something otherwise sensible, and a car with such a narrow use case list is just un-german. People are also holding out for the new Abarth editions, and the wait time for new ones is 52 weeks, apparently.

Took a drive before signing and basically all MX-5 to 124 comparison videos confirm my feelings - while the MX-5s acceleration is linear and the car tends to be squirly, the Abarth 124 is calmer on lower gears, with a quicker top when the turbo kicks in, and the suspension and general feel is more composed. It also has that Abarth crackle from the 500, which some people claim is gone, and it sound just... loving.... nnnngh.

It’s the most fun I’ve had with cars in years and I’m super stoaked, even if at 6.4 ft I barely fit in (I know the cabin is supposed to be the same but I swear I get a few cm more of leg room and head clearance). I also love how you can reach into the engine bay and fiddle with anything, which is a great change of pace from my current BMW F11.
:hfive:

Good to have another 124 owner around here! (Mine's a 2017 Lusso).

Like you, I test drove both it and the Miata and found the 124 to be substantially better composed and much more fun to drive. Enjoy the hell out of it!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that's a pretty good value for Euro land but loving A I can walk in to my local FCA hellhole and walk out in an Abarth for like $25,000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that's a pretty good value for Euro land but loving A I can walk in to my local FCA hellhole and walk out in an Abarth for like $25,000

A 124?

• Locked thread