Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

There's leftover 2017s they're making deals on. They tend to be the stripped version with automatics that no one wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that's a pretty good value for Euro land but loving A I can walk in to my local FCA hellhole and walk out in an Abarth for like $25,000

Not only that, the US stock Fiat 124s come with a 160 hp motor, while the EU model is rated at 138 hp. Add the 5-10k price difference, and the US looks better off. I imagine shipping the Fiats from Hiroshima to the US is cheaper then lugging them to the EU, but then I wonder about the US Abarths - in theory they all go to Italy after the initial production for Abarth tuning and finish, so you’d still need to ship them along with the EU-bound models. In any case, the delivery chain looks like a bit of a clusterfuck. Also, the US-spec Abarth 124 uses an ever so slightly different tune - would that be due to EPA or other local regulations?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mokotow posted:

Not only that, the US stock Fiat 124s come with a 160 hp motor, while the EU model is rated at 138 hp. Add the 5-10k price difference, and the US looks better off. I imagine shipping the Fiats from Hiroshima to the US is cheaper then lugging them to the EU, but then I wonder about the US Abarths - in theory they all go to Italy after the initial production for Abarth tuning and finish, so you’d still need to ship them along with the EU-bound models. In any case, the delivery chain looks like a bit of a clusterfuck. Also, the US-spec Abarth 124 uses an ever so slightly different tune - would that be due to EPA or other local regulations?
It's all branding.

They sell Abarth as a separate, upscale performance brand in Europe so the base car is detuned to create the market gap. They're all quite expensive compared to the MX-5.

In the US, the Abarth is just a level of trim and they're all comparably priced to the MX-5. The main distinctions with the Abarth are Bilstein shocks, a limited-slip differential, and a freer-flowing exhaust for another 4 hp, along with a bunch of red accents and scorpions everywhere. There's also a "sport" button that mainly seems to improve throttle response, and you can also get the hood painted black for about $4000.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ya bud

Euro car market is just expensive, it's not anything to do with shipping or supply chain or whatever. Taxes and fees are higher and the market pays higher prices. Basically what I am saying is the USA owns.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ya bud

Euro car market is just expensive, it's not anything to do with shipping or supply chain or whatever. Taxes and fees are higher and the market pays higher prices. Basically what I am saying is the USA owns.

Ouch.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Picked up my Abarth 12, spent the whole afternoon zooming around the city and autobahning. It was even better than I thought it would be. It’s also a ticket to a strange new world - I was joined at one point by a guy in a I think 308 GT, and we proceeded to roar engines at each other until I had to peel of, so we waved like best buds and went our own ways. Later I had an impromptu series of micro drag races in a tunnel with a riced Opel of some denomination. Generally it felt like a loving computer game, where you drive around a city looking for opponents.

Now in the week of waiting the car somehow shrank in my imagination and at 6.4 ft I expected to be completely cramped, but for whatever reason I set the seat and... was just fine - my head didn’t even touch the roof. It’s cramped, and operating the windows can lead to a crash. My feet probably would need a rest after an hour without cruise control, and I doubt I could actually do heel and toe. Still, it’s perfectly fine and manageable. I’ll do 600 km in a day on Monday for work and we’ll see how that’ll turn out.

Since Italians are involved, I also learned I need to carry tools at all times. The innards are japanese, but the salesman I got it from is Italian, even though we’re in Germany. Besides getting me to sign the contracts, he was also responsible for registration and putting on my plates. Turns out the front plate was quiet unceremoniously drilled into the front bumper and affixed with wrong-sized screws, so after some strong starts, it just fell off. Thus, my first day in my “italian” car involved a fair bit of asphalt-hugging and, well, not wrenching, but more screwdriver work than I anticipated.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pininfarina would like to announce, "I'm not dead yet!"

Pininfarina to Build a Range of Luxury EVs

quote:

There were few obvious synergies when India’s Mahindra & Mahindra bought Pininfarina back in 2015. Mahindra is best known globally for the heavily evolved versions of the original Jeep that it still produces. The company owns other brands, including South Korea’s Ssangyong and Peugeot motorcycles, but it had little obvious need for a top-drawer design house or even for Pininfarina’s parallel engineering expertise. But now we know what got the check signed, with the announcement that the Pininfarina name will be used to launch a new luxury EV brand, Automobili Pininfarina.

The first of these new Pininfarina products was announced at the Rome Formula E race in April, with the news that the PF0 hypercar is set to share core technology with the Rimac C_Two. But beyond that, we’re told that the plan is to turn Pininfarina into a full luxury-model range.
The PF0 will be joined by at least one other model by 2022, with Perschke confirming the plan is to sell a range of cars rather than single sequential models. There’s no official confirmation on what will follow the PF0, but Perschke admitted that one or more SUVs would be “an obvious direction” for the brand to take. We know that both the Rimac C_Two and the Pininfarina PF0 are being developed around all-wheel drive, but their central “backbone” battery pack is a less obvious technical solution for a large, tall SUV, which could better accommodate a flat arrangement under the floor.

More high-end EVs and SUVs! Just what we've all been waiting for.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr0YSZZ-FYg

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

aka the MichaelJacksonmobile from the Moonwalker video.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Impossible Six-Valve Engine Maserati Nearly Built in 1985

Warning: This article contains references to the Biturbo. Viewer discretion is advised.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
https://youtu.be/K7racSSk7w0

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Deteriorata posted:

The Impossible Six-Valve Engine Maserati Nearly Built in 1985

Warning: This article contains references to the Biturbo. Viewer discretion is advised.

:cumpolice:Paging 14":cumpolice:

Here have a gorgeous Giulia 1750 I saw the other day. Wrong colour but perfect none-the-less

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dope. I saw a new Guilia QV on the street here in Michigan last night. I can't decide if I like it or not. The cloverleaf is still cool, though.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I’ve been seeing a lot of new Giulias driving around and I think they look better in person than I pictures. I’m glad lots of people are buying them new here, hopefully I can afford a nice second hand example one day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It doesn't quite look like an Alfa to me. Something about the overall lines, I think. Just take the 159 design and put it on the new platform problem solved lads

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Crosspost from the news thread:

Alfa is planning a 600 hp Giulia based GTV and a +700 hp mid engined 8C. GTV with an e-turbo, AWD and torque vectoring. 8C with a electric motor on front axle and probably plug-in. Diesels are to disappear. Every model to offer electrification. 6 PHEVs with at least 50 km all electric range.

https://www.fcagroup.com/capitalmarketsday/Presentations/FCA%20June%201%202018%20CMD_Alfa%20Romeo%20Brand.pdf

Maserati to profile as an electric luxury brand, with Alfieri as a halo model. AWD, 2 s 0-60 mph. Full range on EV models (4). Everything is PHEV or EV.

https://www.fcagroup.com/capitalmarketsday/Presentations/FCA%20June%201%202018%20CMD_Maserati%20Brand.pdf

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Maserati’s Next Five Years: What to Expect from the Trident Brand

quote:

Maserati still exists. You might not have heard much about the Italian luxury brand recently, but its five-year plan was outlined late last week by parent company Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) at its 2018 Capital Markets Day. Maserati won’t be adding a significant number of new nameplates—today’s lineup includes the Ghibli and Quattroporte sedans as well as the Levante SUV and GranTurismo coupe and convertible—but it is going all in on hybridization and electrification. The GranTurismo will be replaced by the sexier Alfieri sports car, and a compact luxury crossover will slot in beneath the Levante.

We’ve gathered the meat of the changes for you here, all of which are promised to come to fruition by the end of 2022:

Alfieri: New coupe and convertible to replace the GranTurismo, will have a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) and a fully electric variant. READ MORE >>

Compact SUV: A new luxury crossover that will compete with the BMW X3, the Mercedes-Benz GLC-class, and their ilk. Like the rest of Maserati’s future lineup, its lineup will include a plug-in hybrid.

Ghibli: Will be refreshed, will possibly add a plug-in hybrid. READ MORE >>

Levante: Will be redesigned and will gain a plug-in hybrid and a fully electric variant. READ MORE >>

Quattroporte: Will be redesigned and will gain a plug-in hybrid and a fully electric version. READ MORE >>

And BMW will continue to sell more cars in a week than Maserati does all year. Why they think they need to spend so much developing cars that will compete directly with Alfas (and few people will actually buy) is beyond me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Saw a pretty clean X1/9 running around in Cambridge today and I fist-pumped. Glad to see it moving and not rusting away somewhere.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
My uncle's 72 Lancia Sport is still running strong. I think the only thing he's done to it after import is to retune for high elevation and have the radiator rebuilt. He sent me a shaky cockpit vid in which you cannot see much but drat that little V4 sounds great.

E: He sent me this article on Lancias.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/defense-lancia?utm_source=DailyDrive20180606

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 7, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Fabulous, Italian, rare as gently caress...

https://petrolicious.com/articles/hidden-for-decades-we-found-gianni-agnellis-custom-fiat-500-and-it-has-some-incredible-stories-to-tell

:allears:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Alfa Romeo’s Next Five Years: A New GTV, 8C, and More

quote:

Assuming Alfa Romeo’s latest five-year plan stays on track—the brand’s return to the U.S. market was rife with delays, and its previous five-year agenda quickly went off the rails—it’ll be an ambitious time for the Italian carmaker. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) outlined its designs on Alfa Romeo at its 2018 Capital Markets Day, and, predictably, there are new SUVs on the agenda as well as the spicy-sounding 600-hp-plus GTV coupe and the mid-engined 8C sports car. We’ve laid out Alfa’s future (through 2022) model by model for you below:

4C: The small mid-engined sports car will die because its fancy carbon-fiber monocoque chassis cannot meet certain upcoming safety requirements. READ MORE >>

8C: A mid-engined sports car built on a carbon-fiber monocoque chassis. It will feature a twin-turbocharged engine that will combine with an electrified front axle for more than 700 horsepower. READ MORE >>

Giulia: Our favorite sports sedan will be updated and gain a long-wheelbase variant for the China market. It might also get a hybrid variant at some point. READ MORE >>

Giulietta: The Europe-market compact hatchback will get an update.

GTV: A Giulia-based coupe with four seats that will go up against the BMW 4-series and Audi A5. The range will be topped by a Quadrifoglio version with a hybrid powertrain making 600-plus horsepower. READ MORE >>

Mid-Size SUV: A new crossover larger than the Stelvio (detailed below) that will likely have three rows of seats and compete with the Audi Q7, BMW X5, and Mercedes-Benz GLE-class. It also will offer a hybrid powertrain. READ MORE >>

Stelvio: Like the Giulia sedan, the Stelvio will be updated and gain a long-wheelbase variant for China, with the possibility of a hybrid. READ MORE >>

Subcompact SUV: A new crossover smaller than the Stelvio that will compete with the BMW X1, Audi Q3, and Mercedes-Benz GLA-class. Some sort of hybridization will be offered. READ MORE >>

Really looking forward to hearing more about the 8C. :quagmire:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

RIP 4c you were cool as gently caress but somehow unsatisfying

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

And too low production for anyone to bother making a 6mt swap kit to rectify that.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Italian lotus esprit

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
It is easier to hide the cost of a CF monocoque in a 200k€ supercar than a 50k€ sportscar.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

krysmopompas posted:

And too low production for anyone to bother making a 6mt swap kit to rectify that.

that wasn't really the problem

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that wasn't really the problem
I can only speak for why I didn’t purchase one. It was the only glaring flaw once the ridiculous dealer markup ended.

Having a dct put it behind everything from an aircooled 911 to the isuzu impulse in my decision matrix, whereas a manual would have easily put it in the top 5.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Impulse owns.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I got a 75 Turbo Evo exhaust manifold from Greece. These are quite rare these days.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

gently caress. Yeah.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-ferrari-308-gt4-5/

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
That's sweet but of all the Ferarri engines they chose the one with the absurdly low timing belt interval?

E: I guess being a race car it gets pulled open all the time anyway? I dunno.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
That is an ugly cage but I guess they did not want to butcher the dash. I wonder what is up with the aluminum (?) plates that cover front attachment points of the cage.

I principle I very much approve though. I’ve always liked the GT4. I would prefer one over a GTB or GTS (unless the GTB was a GTO replica).

Edit: The GT4 installation may provide enough access that there is no need to drop the engine for riming belts like in 348.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 11, 2018

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Oh hai guys. I, too, have an ITALIAN SPORTSCAR

:whatup:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sten Freak posted:

That's sweet but of all the Ferarri engines they chose the one with the absurdly low timing belt interval?

E: I guess being a race car it gets pulled open all the time anyway? I dunno.

I assume so -- make sure all the subframe bolts are exposed and just drop the rear half when you do services.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice
I sent that link to my uncle (a 348ts owner once like you) and mentioned the engine and he said something like I was nervous anytime I ran it up to 7k rpm because of the timing belt, sold that car and never looked back. I guess if it's a young belt it's good to go but the short life doesn't inspire confidence. Yours blew under mileage but over-life right?

Man that car looks so good on the outside. It still boggles my mind that Ferrari made so many incredible looking cars. It's just sheet metal.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sten Freak posted:

I sent that link to my uncle (a 348ts owner once like you) and mentioned the engine and he said something like I was nervous anytime I ran it up to 7k rpm because of the timing belt, sold that car and never looked back. I guess if it's a young belt it's good to go but the short life doesn't inspire confidence. Yours blew under mileage but over-life right?
Yeah. Was something like 5 years, but 20k mi or something insignifcant. People in FerrariChat say as long as 7, but having seen it almost first hand, I would probably do 4, tops. $10k every 4 years, jeez.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Tamir Lenk posted:

Oh hai guys. I, too, have an ITALIAN SPORTSCAR

:whatup:

God drat, that's a beautiful little car.

Has it caught fire yet?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

God drat, that's a beautiful little car.

Has it caught fire yet?

No fires. The propeller shaft completely poo poo the bed over the 4th of July, but I am just about done with rebuilding it.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Spotted a lovely 33 yesterday, I can't remember the last time I saw one of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FCA board calls urgent meeting to find Marchionne successor

quote:

The boards of Fiat Chrysler, Ferrari and CNH Industrial were called to urgent meetings Saturday in Italy in light of executive Sergio Marchionne's recent surgery and prolonged recovery.

The Free Press was told to expect an announcement about the future of Fiat Chrysler early Saturday afternoon Detroit time.

The La Stampa daily, the hometown newspaper of Fiat's headquarters city, Turin, where the boards were summoned to separate meetings, said the huddles were called to discuss who would succeed Marchionne. The 66-year-old Italian-Canadian holds multiple leadership roles in the companies, notably as CEO of FCA — Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

Statements from the boards were expected later Saturday.

Marchionne had shoulder surgery three weeks ago in Switzerland, the Corriere della Sera newspaper reported. News reports have indicated his convalescence was taking longer than expected.

The CEO of Fiat since 2004, Marchionne has long said he planned to step down in 2019 as CEO of the FCA automobile manufacturer.

Apparently something went very badly quite recently in his recovery and he's not expected to recover sufficiently to finish out his term. Mike Manley, head of Jeep, will take his place at FCA. No word yet on Ferrari.

• Locked thread