Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Seems like the thread to espouse my Tea Bag Engine Theory.

Now, y'all must've encountered teabags. Even those of you in the regions where "tea" is something you drink cold and sweet while contemplating how good your sister looks in those Daisy Dukes. I ain't judging (you're not wrong, she's nice), I'm just saying.

Anyway, teabags. They were invented by accident. Or "on accident" if you will insist (gently caress off back to English class). Well, anyhow. What's pertinent to this story is a chap named Thomas Sullivan. He's from New York, but we won't hold that against him. Y'see, Mr Sullivan, he recognised that when shipping relatively small quantities of tea, it being a light product, packaging was a waste of money. But you have what is effectively a premium product, and cutting down on packaging has to be done without seeming cheap.

So the solution is a light package in a classy (really classy, not "girl ordering a Babycham at a Newcastle bar in 1972" classy) material. That material? Well, what else, it's got to be silk. Ship those tea leaves out in little silk bags, and the people used to small wooden boxes won't think you're a bit of a peasant, but you still save on the shipping.

Now, you don't want to insult your customers, so we'll leave it as read that it's understood that the packaging is, well, packaging. That's a good idea, y'know, don't want to be seen to be talking down to people. Unfortunately, it wasn't "understood", and people just dunked those silk bags into hot water to release the brew held captive within. Over time, people realised that even the silk was unnecessary overengineering, and paper would last just fine for the duration of the dirty deed of dunking (that's what us big boys call "alliteration").

Which leads to InitialDave's Tea Bag Theory of Italian Automobiles.

You're really buying a beautifully engineered, premium engine. Everything else is just packaging to help you get it home, and will probably start to disintegrate when exposed to moisture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Split the difference. Fitting a new clutch/used gearbox at 4-figure mileage intervals is probably cheaper and less hassle than an auto conversion or a divorce.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Italians have always done small cars well.

Still say the original Panda is one of the best.

• Locked thread