Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Just saw and test sat a Giulia Veloce. Everytime I see them in person I fall in love again. Pictures really don't do them justice. Veloce is Q4 only here in Sweden and have higher suspension than the RWD, but I kinda like it. Makes it look more aggressive. The interior is really nice, but I do second the criticism of the feel of the rotating knobs. A bit cheap. But then again, details that really don't matter. I'm 192cm and could sit comfortably behind my driving position as long as I don't sit in that weird super straight back way that car testers seem to sit in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Post it.

Had to YouTube it once I read about the engine. Was not disappointed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HcCrEliXHU

Edit: ....and I always end up listening to GTV6's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTqX0J6Dp5g

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 15, 2017

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
:syoon:
Thanks for posting that. I was looking forward to it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Deteriorata posted:

No, it's not bad at all. People just like to make fun of it because of FIAT's reputation from 30 years ago and Consumer Reports routinely hates all things associated with Chrysler.

Its repair record is below average, but not by a lot. If you like the car, the repairs mean nothing. It also tends to be small, cheap stuff that breaks.

Basically, it's a car with a distinct personality. If that personality fits you, it will be a great car you'll love. If it doesn't fit, though, you'll hate everything about it.

Based on Consumer Reports' own numbers, the TCO for a FIAT 500 is about $6000 per year for the first five years. A Toyota Prius is among the best at $5000, a Mazda3 Hatchback is about $7000. So it's right in there with other small cars. If you like it, buy it and have fun.
Just to add something to compare the Consumer Reports verdict with:
Reliability Index in UK has the Fiat 500 at a rating of 71 (which places it at number 78 in the top 100 most reliable cars they have records on), where the average car is at 100 when it comes to reliability. The lower the better. The average 5 year repair cost total (including labor) is £285.62. The company behind reliability index is Warranty Direct, and they use the same data to calculate the cost of buying car warranty from them so they have no interest whatsoever in making a car out to be more reliable than it is.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Easily a red one. If you haven't already, look up the Monza Red one as well, it's a really good looking colour if you'd like something a bit deeper. The Veloce seats are really nice as well, so be sure you try them out.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 13, 2017

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Very nice choice. Enjoy. :)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I love GTV6's. If they don't suddenly rocket in price I'm planning to get one as soon as I can afford / have time / can find one that I like. The sound is just the absolute best, and I love the design.

Of course every time DoLittle posts his GTV6 the urge rises and I'm very jealous.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Very cool! Pictures would be awesome.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's quite normal for turbocharged engines in general but especially in Europe.

The Giulia may be a great car but it's not selling well at all. Monthly gains, sure, but it's getting beaten out by the positively ancient S60, the 2-series which is two doors only, and the ATS (lol). It is one of the worst selling cars in its segment. It is selling better than the XE, though!

It's hard to enter a market where 90% of the target audience still go round saying "Alfa? That'll rust or break down before I even get it! Better buy German quality that never breaks and the neighbor will think I'm well off because it's a badge they recognize!".
I think the most sold car in Sweden is a VW Golf (and probably pretty low range models), followed by some Volvos and the the Passat. Doesn't get much more conformist than that. Why would they stray from the mainstream? I can't say that I blame them. It's a double edged sword anyway, since part of the appeal (for me at least) of Alfa Romeo is that they are not a car that the mainstream buys, and therefore not a car that I see on every corner. Yet I want them to succeed enough so that they can keep making great cars that look great.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah I agree. I mean I own an Alfa (that just got shat on by regular car reviews :( ). The bad thing about having an Alfa is that I can't really think of a car that I'd rather have for the same money. Nor can I think of a car I'd rather upgrade to than the Giulia (for the same money)... and believe me I've tried to find something I'd rather have than a temperamental below par in reliability car. It'll be interesting to see what the Giulias will sell for once they come of the leases.

Closest I get is french cars. Especially recently.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
As someone who had their sight set on a Giulia when they come off the leases it makes me sad that the future doesn't seem all too good reliability wise. What other RWD/RWD biased 4 wheel drive good looking cars that aren't on every street corner are there?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Of course a GTV6 GP with pretty low mileage and looks to be in good condition pops up for $9000 when I'm in the middle of exams (dead). Not that it matters since I don't have a "big trailer" license, so can't bring it home anyway. Really need to find the time to get me a license like that. Missing out like hell, and GTV6's are probably going to shoot up in value soon...

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah I'm thinking that I have to move ahead and try to get one this year. Even if it is my "attainable dream car", there is a limit of how much I'd pay before I'd rather get something that's more expensive (like an older Alfa) that won't be as far a leap in price anymore. Also, part of the charm is that it isn't too expensive right now to drive comfortably.

I do want to hear that Busso roar though..

VVVVV: Pictures don't do the Giulia enough justice. Every time I see one in real life it looks better than on pictures. Very nice.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 4, 2018

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Pardon my ignorance, but what benefits will the standalone ECU have in the GTV6? Is it "just" generally more efficient and faster compared to the stock / older units, as well as allowing for customization? Love the ITBs.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Question for any of you that have a GTV6: I just realized that I'm probably not the average 80's Italian man, I'm 192cm (6' 3-4"), with long legs. Am I screwed?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DoLittle posted:

I've got a GTV6 but i'm 180 cm with short legs so I am well suited to Italian cars.

With you measurements I guess you would have to sacrifice the idea of a having a passenger behind you and maybe look in to steering column extenders.

Grakkus posted:

I'm 190 and I fit quite happily into a Fulvia and a Beta HPE, so I think you should be alright? Different cars obviously but also Italian and similar time period

Cool, never thought about spacers. Thanks

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Quest is so loving weird....

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

ibntumart posted:

So I bought a new thing and I think it might fit in here.

Very nice! That colour is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The MiTo followed by the 1300? berlinetta (I'm no good at Alfas) is a hilarious contrast. You can see the corporate resemblance in a good and bad way.
Great pictures!

Even is the designs (like all other brands) have changed and Alfa Romeo has in some way gotten "contaminated" by GM and FCA, every single one still has that Alfa soul. I own a MiTo and while it's not the highest quality interior, the most reliable car, and based of a Grande Punto, it's still very fun to drive, looks great (especially from the back) and really stands out in a sea of grey boring hatchbacks. It makes people smile and kids love it.

I really need a 159 in my life though.

• Locked thread