Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I've had my Abarth 500 Cabrio "for sale" for the last 6 months, because I only drive it 5 miles or so per week and my wife thinks it's a waste of money (she has a 500 pop that she hasn't driven in 8 months). I listed it high, and usually ignore people that ask about it, but someone just confirmed that they want to buy it this week and is actually making arrangements to pick it up.

poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

slidebite posted:

So wtf is a "Hoonigan" supposed to be anyhow? I've seen that sticker on terrible looking trash heaps of cars lately and have no clue.

An idiot.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My wife and I decided last night to keep her 500 pop for my daughter who turns 15 next month. It's small, fairly safe, cheap to drive, and is a stick. Perfect first car!

I'm going to try to pick up a set of the 1957 edition wheels and wrap it in a similar powder blue to give it a bit more character than just the "red 500" look it has now. It did have an Abarth spoiler on it when we bought it, which seems like an odd thing to have as your only modification.

I guess we're staying a two fiat family.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
A used 500 is a great buy.

A new 500 is a terrible buy.

I decided on a whim to drive my Abarth to work today, which I only do a couple of times per month. Still smiling.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I had a dream last night that I my Abarth started blowing black smoke and throwing every idiot light on the dash at me.

I had to go check when I woke up to make sure it was actually a dream and not something that really happened yesterday.

#justfiatthings

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The sport is just a base model 500 with a body kit.

Drive a turbo or an Abarth.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blaise posted:

Literally 3x the cost. I'd just buy an FR-S/BRZ.

No it's not. In the world of Fiat, especially Abarth, sticker price is meaningless.

Also, never under any circumstances should anyone buy a new 500.

(It's also literally 3x the car)

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blaise posted:

I'm shopping used. 4k is local 500 price if you shop around, 12k+ for an abarth. That's into BRZ/FR-S territory.

Fair enough.

The FR-S is a "better" car, no doubts. I really, really love my Abarth cabrio, though. Back when it was my daily driver I wasn't quite as in love with it, but not that it's only driven on the occasional fun drive, I really appreciate it so much more.

I'm not advocating that you buy one, but you should drive one just to see what they are like. My wife had her 500 Pop for about a year before I decided I wanted an Abarth, and driving one for the first time after having only driven her 500 was pretty hysterical. It's like throwing on a pair of rollerblades right after roller skates.

That analogy makes me sound old.

*edit* $12k for an abarth sounds like a lot, depending on the year. When I was thinking of selling my 2013 Cabrio with 35,000 miles, I was looking at $11,500-12,000 realistically on the private party market. The coupes are a good $2,000 cheaper still.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ADINSX posted:

Fell in love with the Abarth 500 on a test drive at a dealer. Didn't end up buying it, probably for the best since I later learned the way to go is used with these. Looks like they go for around 12k around Seattle. Is there any year I should avoid? I'm trying to hold off pulling the trigger until we get a house because I'd have to pay for an extra parking spot, but its tough.

2013+ for reliability
2015+ for the better cup holders and LCD gauge cluster at the expense of ecu tuning ease

For me, 2013 or 2014 are the sweet spot. I have two 2013s.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Stickers come off easy. Thats a drat good deal for such low mileage. Nothing glaring other than that.

It has turbo headlights, though, so it has been "modded" to some degree.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
They are likely the OE turbo headlights. It's a common swap.

I'd be interested in buying them if you swap them out.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Also 500 Turbo vs Abarth, if we are just talking drivetrain.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
All low range electric cars have poo poo resale. You can buy leafs, 500e, focus electric, golf e for nothing all day long.

They can be leased cheap as poo poo and don't work for high mile drivers that don't lease so they have no value on the used market. I might buy the wife a cheap leaf to commute in because they are almost free.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

[quote="“KYOON GRIFFEY JR”" post="“477876163”"]
why in the gently caress do you want a sixty K chrysler 300 you can buy 2 chrysler 300 for the same price

I am an Italian car apologist and the Ghibli is an unforgivable sin. At least the Alfasud was cheap. I’ve driven one. The engine is kind of nice. The exterior styling is decent. The interior is Chrysler partsbin if you know where to look but con stile italano. Every other car in its class is better than it at everything except being Italian and having exterior styling.

Upside they depreciate like loving rocks so you can get a used one for like six bucks
[/quote]

I've driven one too, and don't really get the point you're trying to make. You call it a $60k 300, but also point out that it has a better engine, styling, and while the interior shares Chrysler parts, is still con stile Italiano. The 300 isn't a bad car, and the Ghibli is much better.

I wouldn't buy one new because I'm not a moron, but I'd lease one for sure or, if I had the balls, buy a used one to drive on the weekends. The people that I know that have them (all leases) cite (it's not a 5 series/e class) as one of the big selling points, which I totally get. It's a good car, not as good as the competition, but is way more interesting.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
In other news I drove the Abarth cabrio to work this morning (I try to once per week or so) and god I still love it. An Abarth coupe hopped on the freeway right next to me and we cruised with other for a good 20 miles down the coast, taking turns hitting the boost and rocketing past each other.

That car is so much fun to drive slow that I honestly have no desire for a legitimately fast car these days. Something like a Mustang GT would be too easy to get in trouble with. The Abarth can be wrung out like crazy, make a shitload of noise, and put a smile on my face, all under 50mph.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I bought a roof rack that claims to be compatible with my Abarth Cabrio. We’ll see how that works out. I’m just giddy at the idea of my bikes sitting above my head with the top down.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

slothrop posted:

I can picture it in my head but I demand you post. Lycra must be the choice of both bike and Abarth drivers everywhere? Save weight where you can :v:

I ride road and mountain. I need to buy a Colnago now.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I've gone and done something silly in the name of bikes.

I should probably pull the fuse for the top and check the weather report before driving this car from now on.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

kimbo305 posted:

Do they interfere with each other?

Completely.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So uh... basically once this thing hits 30mph it sounds like I have a 747 turbofan engine strapped to the roof of my car.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VERTiG0 posted:

My new commute has me putting $85-90 in gas every 4-5 days in my '12 TL Advance (Elite). I think I should sell it and buy a 124 Spider Abarth. I live out in the country in Canada where we get lots of snow. Tell me this is a bad idea. I would put snow tires on it.

Buying an Abarth is never a bad idea.

Get silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
[quote="“KYOON GRIFFEY JR”" post="“481757926”"]
it will definitely break
[/quote]

"Leasing"

And I want that 124. I might buy that.