Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's time we had a new thread to discuss FIATs and other cool Italian cars since the old thread seems to have petered out.

Yes, it should be all caps because it's an acronym: Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino

FIAT currently sells four models in the US:

FIAT's upscale cousin is Alfa Romeo:

My understanding is that the 2012 500s had a lot of issues and did FIAT's already dodgy reputation a lot of harm, but later model years were much better. I'm curious as to owners' experiences with them.

I own a 124 Spider and it's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Panda is still the best FIAT by far.

I've never seen a Panda. At some point FIAT talked about a US version. What ever happened to that?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

Doing oil changes on the 500l requires pulling the intake off the turbo. I pulled one off an example with 20k on the clock and there was oil leaking into the intake out of the turbo. I also noticed it was built in serbia. That's all I really know about modern FIATs.

Not true. Spend a little time on YouTube. There's lots of videos of how to replace the oil filter without removing anything, even the engine cover.

Also, I don't see why being made in Serbia makes any difference.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

fickle poofterist posted:

Man I love those 124s, they look like mini Jag XKRS from behind. Are they better then the MX5?

IMO, yes. I drove them both. The 124 is quieter and has a more compliant suspension, while still cornering flatter than the MX5. The MX5 just felt coarser and less refined in comparison. Despite sharing so much hardware, the two have very different souls.

The 1.4L Multi-air engine is great. Plus, it's comparatively cheap ($900) and easy to retune the ECU to bump it up to 200 HP.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Found some info on the 2018 Spiders:

The Bleu Scuro would look awfully nice. Even better if it's metallic, but I don't think so. The color palette is still rather disappointing, but it's a step forward.

Option packages will also be split up more so you can get what you want without stuff you don't want.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FIAT on the Dragon

Coming up the end of the month for you weirdos who like hanging out with other people who own Italian cars. I'm not going myself (I mean, I like Italian cars but I'm not that weird), but an FYI for those interested.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

is your 124 an Abarth or no

No, a Lusso. I'm not going to track it and don't need the LSD.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another Fabulous FIAT Fun Fest for you Texans:

Knock yourselves out.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

More FIAT fun!

This is the national convention for the FIAT club of America, July 19-23 in Milwaukee.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

should I do a post on the Fulvia or does no one care

:justpost:

I'd like to read it, anyway.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another Italian car thing, this time for Canadians:

7th Annual ITALIAN CAR DAY 2017
Sunday, August 13, 2017
9:00 AM
Boyd Conservation Area
8739 Islington Ave., Woodbridge, ON

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thanks for that, Kyoon. I'd never really gotten straight on what Lancia was all about.

Meanwhile, Bob Flavin (The Next Gear) orgasms all over an Alfa Giulia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyO1YtgiTlw

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Speaking of Ferrari:

Italian police foil plot to steal Enzo Ferrari's body

quote:

Police in Nuoro on the island of Sardinia told a news conference they suspected that a gang had planned to demand a ransom from the Ferrari family or company after spiriting away the body.

They gave no further details about the plot but said it was discovered during an investigation into arms and drug trafficking that led to a number of arrests.
:wtc:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Car and Driver did a test of the FIAT 500X:

2017 Fiat 500X
The best modern Fiat that isn't a Mazda underneath

quote:

Overview: Introduced for 2016 as a platform-mate to the Jeep Renegade—and the largest member of the Cinquecento family—the 500X is Fiat Chrysler’s Italian loafer in the popular class of micro-utes. As with the adorably tiny Jeep, the Fiat crossover comes standard with front-wheel drive and is powered by a turbocharged 1.4-liter inline-four that produces 160 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque. The base turbo engine is mated exclusively to a six-speed manual transmission, which means that getting the optional ZF nine-speed automatic also necessitates ordering the naturally aspirated 2.4-liter four-cylinder ($1500) that pumps out 180 horses but just 175 lb-ft of torque. Base models roll on 16-inch steel wheels, but aluminum 16-, 17-, and 18-inchers are available. An all-wheel-drive system can be had only with the 2.4, for an extra $1900.

The 500X eschews the Renegade’s boxy form in favor of a sculpted jellybean motif that it wears quite well. While it’s not the best to drive in its class—the 500X finished fourth, behind the Renegade, in a six-ute comparison test we held in 2015—all versions carry EPA estimates of at least 29 mpg on the highway, and a substantial number of amenities and safety-tech features are available if you’re willing to pay for them.
VIEW 76 PHOTOS

What’s New: As it’s still relatively fresh to the market, the 500X changes little for 2017. Trim levels have been pared down to just three—Pop, Trekking, and Lounge—with only the Pop available with the 1.4 turbo and the stick. The Trekking employs extra satin-silver body cladding front and rear for a more rugged aesthetic, while the Lounge adds a few more chrome pieces for a polished vibe. The 500X’s standard features are accurately categorized as basic, the better to keep the starting price at a low $20,990, although you can upgrade from the base 3.0-inch central touchscreen to a 5.0-inch Uconnect system as well as add a rearview camera and a parking-assist system as part of the $895 Popular Equipment package. A 6.5-inch infotainment display, heated seats and steering wheel, automated emergency braking, lane-departure warning and assist, and other luxuries are limited to the grander trim levels. Our example for this review was a Trekking with AWD, which started at $26,245 and rocketed past $32,000 with a load of options, including power and heated front seats, leather upholstery, 18-inch wheels, a dual-pane sunroof, every available safety technology, and the top-level Uconnect system with navigation and premium Beats stereo.

What We Like: The 500X’s styling is perky and cute, standing in stark contrast to the larger Fiat 500L, which is bloated and strange-looking. FCA’s Uconnect touchscreen interface is highly responsive and one of the most intuitive in the business. While the Pop model’s level of equipment is rather meager, the 1.4 with the manual gearbox can be fun and is highly affordable, and it’s also nearly a second quicker than the AWD 2.4 version both to 60 mph (7.8 seconds) and through the quarter-mile (16 ticks flat). The 500X’s 163-foot stop from 70 mph was tops in the aforementioned comparison test, and its interior noise level at 70 mph (69 decibels) tied the Kia Soul for first place. And we’re all for small, practical cars with lots of features and decent ergonomics, both of which the Fiat has.
VIEW 76 PHOTOS

What We Don’t Like: The 500X’s initial appeal plummets as soon as you pile on the options or hit the open road. The $32,255 that our example cost would buy a pretty nice Honda CR-V or Mazda CX-5, both of which are larger, more powerful, and can be similarly equipped. And neither will try to dive into the pavement under braking or list onto its side mirrors around corners as the 500X does. (The Honda won a 10Best Trucks and SUVs award for 2017 as our best compact SUV.) What’s more, the Fiat has one of the tightest cabins in its class, rivaling the itty-bitty Mazda CX-3, and lacks the interior quality we expect in a vehicle at this price. Additionally, rear-seat riders must do without vents or power outlets.

The good news is that the 2.4-liter model matched its EPA combined rating in our testing; the bad news is that, at 24 mpg, that figure was second to worst among its comparison-test peers. Along with its floppy dynamics and vague, numb steering that is managed via an overly thick wheel that doesn’t tilt down far enough for some drivers, the 2.4-liter/nine-speed combo makes for tedious highway cruising; the automatic bounces among ratios at the slightest throttle provocation. While most of the 500X’s issues can seem less egregious at a more reasonable price point, if you’re fine with spending close to $30K on a subcompact crossover, the 2017 Kia Soul—another 10Best Trucks and SUVs laureate—is a far better investment.

Verdict: Funky and visually interesting, but ultimately there are better options in the crossover ranks.

So basically, keep it basic. Good value as a base model, options quickly move it up to competing with substantially better cars. The 2.4L Multiair really seems disappointing, which is unfortunate as the 1.4T is a very sweet little powerplant and a competent big brother would be good to have.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

OK, ladies - here's your big chance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyYMAQVeH8g

https://www.hoonigan.com/hooniganswanted

Wanna see that car race, regardless of who's driving it. :swoon:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

slidebite posted:

So wtf is a "Hoonigan" supposed to be anyhow? I've seen that sticker on terrible looking trash heaps of cars lately and have no clue.

Rally racing team. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoonigan_Racing_Division

Ed: "hoon" is an Australian slang term for a loud, obnoxious, aggressive driver.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 25, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Long-Range Bull: Driving a 250,000-Mile Lamborghini Murcielago

Great story about a Lambo that actually has 250k miles on the clock. Yes, it was expensive as hell to maintain.

quote:

The biggest single expense is fuel: Because the car averages 10 mpg overall including track use, the cost translates to about $162,000. Crash repairs cost around $115,000, 84 sets of tires have cost $97,400, servicing and engine rebuilds have cost an estimated $64,000, insurance has cost more than $19,000, and everything else, including British road taxes, adds about another $25,000. That’s a total of £498,000, or nearly $640,000.

$640,000 is roughly 3x the original selling price. Only $50,000 per year!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blaise posted:

Is the 500 actually a bad car? I've seen them locally for $4-5k with like 60k miles and clean. It's stick, it's tiny, perfect to park in city. What am I missing?

No, it's not bad at all. People just like to make fun of it because of FIAT's reputation from 30 years ago and Consumer Reports routinely hates all things associated with Chrysler.

Its repair record is below average, but not by a lot. If you like the car, the repairs mean nothing. It also tends to be small, cheap stuff that breaks.

Basically, it's a car with a distinct personality. If that personality fits you, it will be a great car you'll love. If it doesn't fit, though, you'll hate everything about it.

Based on Consumer Reports' own numbers, the TCO for a FIAT 500 is about $6000 per year for the first five years. A Toyota Prius is among the best at $5000, a Mazda3 Hatchback is about $7000. So it's right in there with other small cars. If you like it, buy it and have fun.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Car and Driver took a drive in a Stelvio. They were impressed. Between this and the Giulia, they may become a relevant brand again.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cholmondeley posted:

My Giulia might be the best automotive decision I've ever made. It literally makes me grin, driving to work.

Our own drgitlin just posted review of the Giulia over at Ars Tech. He seems to agree with you.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DoLittle posted:

Apparently the 200 hp petrol Alfa Giulias sold in Europe only differ from the 280 hp models through software. So you can buy the cheaper 200 hp model and just change the software from the 280 hp model. Tuners also offer the same 310 - 320 hp programs for both of them. So 200 hp -> 320 hp with just a software change...

This is true of the FIAT 124s as well. The 140 HP Euro spec is identical hardware to the 160 HP American spec - it's just detuned in the ECU.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Relatedly, a heart-felt plea to Alfa from a true lover of the mark to get its poo poo together:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a10308214/alfa-romeo-giulia-issues/

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ferrari confirms plan for utility vehicle

quote:

MILAN -- Ferrari confirmed it is considering an expansion into the utility vehicle business by "reinventing" the segment and plans to boost the range of hybrid sports cars even as the company seeks to maintain an exclusivity status. Details of the new strategy will be unveiled next year.

"It will probably happen but it will happen in Ferrari's style," CEO Sergio Marchionne said of the planned utility vehicle on a conference call Wednesday after Ferrari reported a 24 percent advance in second-quarter profit. "That space is too big and too inviting and we have a lot of our customers who will be more than willing to drive a Ferrari-branded vehicle that has that king of utilitarian objective."

:suicide:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

donut posted:

Is there something really wrong with the 500e (electric)? I just looked at listings and there are tons of 2014 models, for under $8000 and even $7000 all day long. I understand there's a bunch coming off lease so the market is flooded but that still seems cheap. Are my expectations off or is there something deathly wrong with them?

Nothing really wrong with it as far as I know. It's not a very good car by all reports. FIAT only makes it to satisfy the CARB.

http://www.caranddriver.com/fiat/500e

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-fiat-124-spider-pininfarina/

Good comment:
"I credit my 124 Spider’s workshop manual and wiring diagram with my passing knowledge of Italian … nero, azzuro, verde, bianco, not to mention the gauges with benzina and olio"

Holy poo poo, that's beautiful. I desperately wanted one of those in '83, but I was in grad school and had no money. Then they stopped making them. :(.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

News:

Ferrari Has Plans to Make an Electric Supercar

quote:

Ferrari NV will make a battery-powered supercar to challenge Tesla Inc. at the high end of the electric-auto market, Chief Executive Officer Sergio Marchionne said.

The race-car maker, spun off from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV, has been expanding its lineup to lift sales without losing the exclusivity of a brand associated with Italian design and super-fast roadsters. Marchionne, who heads both companies, also told reporters at the Detroit auto show on Tuesday that Ferrari will introduce its first SUV, which will be "the fastest on the market" by late 2019 or 2020.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

My new commute has me putting $85-90 in gas every 4-5 days in my '12 TL Advance (Elite). I think I should sell it and buy a 124 Spider Abarth. I live out in the country in Canada where we get lots of snow. Tell me this is a bad idea. I would put snow tires on it.

I own a 124 Spider (Lusso trim level, not Abarth, though). It's fantastic. Lots of people drive them in snow.

Live the dream.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's better moving. Here's some footage of the 2018 Abarth 124 Rally at Monte Carlo last weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBWBs5mA3Qk

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

News: http://www.motortrend.com/news/fiat-abarth-124-gt-to-debut-in-geneva-with-carbon-fiber-hard-top/

quote:

Fiat is spicing up its 124 lineup with two special edition models that will be revealed at the Geneva International motor show in March.

Painted in exclusive Alpi Orientali Grey exterior paint, the 124 Abarth GT will come with the traditional convertible soft top but will also include a lightweight hard top made entirely of carbon fiber that creates an appealing profile. The hard top weighs just over 35 pounds, is lined on the inside, and has a rear window with a defroster. Fiat claims the hardtop can be removed and reinstalled in a few easy steps.

The Abarth 124 GT also features 17-inch OZ Ultra-Light alloy wheels that are about 6.6 pounds lighter than the standard wheels. A matte black hood and a carbon-fiber rear spoiler are optional. A Gunmetal front spoiler matches the Gunmetal mirror caps, but the mirrors can also be had in red or carbon fiber.

Also debuting in Geneva is the Fiat 124 Spider S-Design, a limited edition model only available on the Lusso trim. The model features polished steel roll bars, unique 17-inch lightweight alloy wheels, a tricolor rear badge, and a lower red side stripe.

Abarth 124 GT with RHT

FIAT 124 Lusso S-Design

There are also a couple Europe-only 500 special editions.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Alfa Romeo Giulia coupe on the way with F1 tech, report says

quote:

A new member of the Alfa Romeo Giulia family is in the works, according to Autocar, and it may revive one of the most cherished Alfa nameplates. Due later this year, a coupe version of the Giulia is expected to offer two powertrains that will incorporate an F1-style energy recovery system (ERS).

One engine expected to make it under the hood of the coupe, which may revive the Sprint name, is a turbocharged 2.0-liter engine borrowed from the Giulia Veloce sedan good for 345 hp. A hotter offering is tipped to be the turbocharged 2.9-liter V6 borrowed from the Giulia Quadrifoglio, expected to churn out an eye-watering 641 hp. This would make it the most powerful Alfa in the lineup, Autocar notes, with its sights set on the likes of the Audi RS5, Mercedes-Benz C63 S Coupe and the BMW M4 DTM.

The ERS system that the Giulia coupe's powertrain will use is expected to be a version of the HY-KERS system created by Magneti Marelli and Ferrari for the LaFerrari, optimized for performance. The ERS system essentially uses the electric motor's low-end torque to complement the gasoline engine's torque curve; the result is better fuel consumption and cleaner emissions compared to conventional gasoline engines with comparable horserpower outputs.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jay Leno's Garage has featured a couple cool Lancias recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL6n-V72kNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WivocTLlcc

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mokotow posted:

Hello thread. I rented an MX-5 for two days to see what it was all about and loved it. Took it for a drive to the Nurburgring, as I live close by, and just went nuts with the rental all over the place. I was aware of the 124, liked the lines more and thought its better suited for me, so after watching a few hours of vids on Youtube, I went to my local FCA and, well, I’m picking up my Abarth 124 next week.

Mind you, I stumbled on a good specimen - it’s a January 2018 first registration demo car with 6k on it, fully loaded, black with red highlights. It was first listed at 44k EUR, went down to 37k EUR in March and I got it for 30k EUR today. The dealership just couldn’t loose it, as the price point was too high. It ended up as the car with a dealer advert on the side they’d park outside to catch attention. The Abarth 124 is, it turns out, not that popular in Germany and I sort of see why - people would rather pay more and get a “local” BMW or Porsche, or something otherwise sensible, and a car with such a narrow use case list is just un-german. People are also holding out for the new Abarth editions, and the wait time for new ones is 52 weeks, apparently.

Took a drive before signing and basically all MX-5 to 124 comparison videos confirm my feelings - while the MX-5s acceleration is linear and the car tends to be squirly, the Abarth 124 is calmer on lower gears, with a quicker top when the turbo kicks in, and the suspension and general feel is more composed. It also has that Abarth crackle from the 500, which some people claim is gone, and it sound just... loving.... nnnngh.

It’s the most fun I’ve had with cars in years and I’m super stoaked, even if at 6.4 ft I barely fit in (I know the cabin is supposed to be the same but I swear I get a few cm more of leg room and head clearance). I also love how you can reach into the engine bay and fiddle with anything, which is a great change of pace from my current BMW F11.
:hfive:

Good to have another 124 owner around here! (Mine's a 2017 Lusso).

Like you, I test drove both it and the Miata and found the 124 to be substantially better composed and much more fun to drive. Enjoy the hell out of it!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

There's leftover 2017s they're making deals on. They tend to be the stripped version with automatics that no one wants.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mokotow posted:

Not only that, the US stock Fiat 124s come with a 160 hp motor, while the EU model is rated at 138 hp. Add the 5-10k price difference, and the US looks better off. I imagine shipping the Fiats from Hiroshima to the US is cheaper then lugging them to the EU, but then I wonder about the US Abarths - in theory they all go to Italy after the initial production for Abarth tuning and finish, so you’d still need to ship them along with the EU-bound models. In any case, the delivery chain looks like a bit of a clusterfuck. Also, the US-spec Abarth 124 uses an ever so slightly different tune - would that be due to EPA or other local regulations?
It's all branding.

They sell Abarth as a separate, upscale performance brand in Europe so the base car is detuned to create the market gap. They're all quite expensive compared to the MX-5.

In the US, the Abarth is just a level of trim and they're all comparably priced to the MX-5. The main distinctions with the Abarth are Bilstein shocks, a limited-slip differential, and a freer-flowing exhaust for another 4 hp, along with a bunch of red accents and scorpions everywhere. There's also a "sport" button that mainly seems to improve throttle response, and you can also get the hood painted black for about $4000.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pininfarina would like to announce, "I'm not dead yet!"

Pininfarina to Build a Range of Luxury EVs

quote:

There were few obvious synergies when India’s Mahindra & Mahindra bought Pininfarina back in 2015. Mahindra is best known globally for the heavily evolved versions of the original Jeep that it still produces. The company owns other brands, including South Korea’s Ssangyong and Peugeot motorcycles, but it had little obvious need for a top-drawer design house or even for Pininfarina’s parallel engineering expertise. But now we know what got the check signed, with the announcement that the Pininfarina name will be used to launch a new luxury EV brand, Automobili Pininfarina.

The first of these new Pininfarina products was announced at the Rome Formula E race in April, with the news that the PF0 hypercar is set to share core technology with the Rimac C_Two. But beyond that, we’re told that the plan is to turn Pininfarina into a full luxury-model range.
The PF0 will be joined by at least one other model by 2022, with Perschke confirming the plan is to sell a range of cars rather than single sequential models. There’s no official confirmation on what will follow the PF0, but Perschke admitted that one or more SUVs would be “an obvious direction” for the brand to take. We know that both the Rimac C_Two and the Pininfarina PF0 are being developed around all-wheel drive, but their central “backbone” battery pack is a less obvious technical solution for a large, tall SUV, which could better accommodate a flat arrangement under the floor.

More high-end EVs and SUVs! Just what we've all been waiting for.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr0YSZZ-FYg

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Impossible Six-Valve Engine Maserati Nearly Built in 1985

Warning: This article contains references to the Biturbo. Viewer discretion is advised.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Maserati’s Next Five Years: What to Expect from the Trident Brand

quote:

Maserati still exists. You might not have heard much about the Italian luxury brand recently, but its five-year plan was outlined late last week by parent company Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) at its 2018 Capital Markets Day. Maserati won’t be adding a significant number of new nameplates—today’s lineup includes the Ghibli and Quattroporte sedans as well as the Levante SUV and GranTurismo coupe and convertible—but it is going all in on hybridization and electrification. The GranTurismo will be replaced by the sexier Alfieri sports car, and a compact luxury crossover will slot in beneath the Levante.

We’ve gathered the meat of the changes for you here, all of which are promised to come to fruition by the end of 2022:

Alfieri: New coupe and convertible to replace the GranTurismo, will have a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) and a fully electric variant. READ MORE >>

Compact SUV: A new luxury crossover that will compete with the BMW X3, the Mercedes-Benz GLC-class, and their ilk. Like the rest of Maserati’s future lineup, its lineup will include a plug-in hybrid.

Ghibli: Will be refreshed, will possibly add a plug-in hybrid. READ MORE >>

Levante: Will be redesigned and will gain a plug-in hybrid and a fully electric variant. READ MORE >>

Quattroporte: Will be redesigned and will gain a plug-in hybrid and a fully electric version. READ MORE >>

And BMW will continue to sell more cars in a week than Maserati does all year. Why they think they need to spend so much developing cars that will compete directly with Alfas (and few people will actually buy) is beyond me.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Alfa Romeo’s Next Five Years: A New GTV, 8C, and More

quote:

Assuming Alfa Romeo’s latest five-year plan stays on track—the brand’s return to the U.S. market was rife with delays, and its previous five-year agenda quickly went off the rails—it’ll be an ambitious time for the Italian carmaker. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) outlined its designs on Alfa Romeo at its 2018 Capital Markets Day, and, predictably, there are new SUVs on the agenda as well as the spicy-sounding 600-hp-plus GTV coupe and the mid-engined 8C sports car. We’ve laid out Alfa’s future (through 2022) model by model for you below:

4C: The small mid-engined sports car will die because its fancy carbon-fiber monocoque chassis cannot meet certain upcoming safety requirements. READ MORE >>

8C: A mid-engined sports car built on a carbon-fiber monocoque chassis. It will feature a twin-turbocharged engine that will combine with an electrified front axle for more than 700 horsepower. READ MORE >>

Giulia: Our favorite sports sedan will be updated and gain a long-wheelbase variant for the China market. It might also get a hybrid variant at some point. READ MORE >>

Giulietta: The Europe-market compact hatchback will get an update.

GTV: A Giulia-based coupe with four seats that will go up against the BMW 4-series and Audi A5. The range will be topped by a Quadrifoglio version with a hybrid powertrain making 600-plus horsepower. READ MORE >>

Mid-Size SUV: A new crossover larger than the Stelvio (detailed below) that will likely have three rows of seats and compete with the Audi Q7, BMW X5, and Mercedes-Benz GLE-class. It also will offer a hybrid powertrain. READ MORE >>

Stelvio: Like the Giulia sedan, the Stelvio will be updated and gain a long-wheelbase variant for China, with the possibility of a hybrid. READ MORE >>

Subcompact SUV: A new crossover smaller than the Stelvio that will compete with the BMW X1, Audi Q3, and Mercedes-Benz GLA-class. Some sort of hybridization will be offered. READ MORE >>

Really looking forward to hearing more about the 8C. :quagmire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FCA board calls urgent meeting to find Marchionne successor

quote:

The boards of Fiat Chrysler, Ferrari and CNH Industrial were called to urgent meetings Saturday in Italy in light of executive Sergio Marchionne's recent surgery and prolonged recovery.

The Free Press was told to expect an announcement about the future of Fiat Chrysler early Saturday afternoon Detroit time.

The La Stampa daily, the hometown newspaper of Fiat's headquarters city, Turin, where the boards were summoned to separate meetings, said the huddles were called to discuss who would succeed Marchionne. The 66-year-old Italian-Canadian holds multiple leadership roles in the companies, notably as CEO of FCA — Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

Statements from the boards were expected later Saturday.

Marchionne had shoulder surgery three weeks ago in Switzerland, the Corriere della Sera newspaper reported. News reports have indicated his convalescence was taking longer than expected.

The CEO of Fiat since 2004, Marchionne has long said he planned to step down in 2019 as CEO of the FCA automobile manufacturer.

Apparently something went very badly quite recently in his recovery and he's not expected to recover sufficiently to finish out his term. Mike Manley, head of Jeep, will take his place at FCA. No word yet on Ferrari.

• Locked thread