Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
A very cool post in the NYC LAN thread made me wonder how many IRR callups will occur in the next 5-10 years when it's time to safeguard "vital" resources across the globe because it's suddenly clear that, well, there aren't any.

Effortpost by cool goon:

Ol Standard Retard posted:

It's the NYC thread so I won't go through my whole eco diatribe but there's all sorts of bad poo poo that's already starting to happen. As a caveat my degree was focused on agricultural ecology and soil health, particularly where the planet's support of agriculture intersects with human health.

The vast majority of people think of climate change (well, those who give it credence, we can leave deniers out of the conversation entirely) and think Weird Weather and Oh Lol Summertime In March. These are surface level first order effects and in the NYC area these will manifest primarily as increasing frequency of extreme weather events, like the God drat Thunderstorm that blew through last night in February.

On the near window I'm expecting to see increased local transit disruption (lol you think the trains are bad now!), strains on sanitation and municipal water and power infrastructure both via demand and cyclical disruption, and eventually the direct effect of warming globally, sea level rise putting parts of the city underwater. Incredibly hot summers will be more frequent and given the capacity of the cityscape to retain heat, these will be more unrelenting and difficult to adapt to. If you've ever been in Dallas or Houston for a 110 degree day in August, you know what I'm talking about. It never cools down.

However the second order effects of these phenomena becoming more frequent across the planet are going to be what really impacts human health and society. Our extremely precarious just-in-time food distribution system is going to be fundamentally threatened, if not to the point of utter collapse (knock wood) then definitely to a point of devastating economic consequences across the industry of Getting People Calories.

In terms of a 5-10 year window to me this points to increasingly frequent shortages and price spikes of either specific foods (this already happened with limes and eggs for example in recent years), or broad ecological-niche shortages as a biome-specific resource is wiped out. Coffee and chocolate are two extremely ecosystem-sensitive crops that spring to mind immediately. People making noise about almonds being grown in the desert will seem like a fart in the wind if prices for coffee quintuple due to a novel pest migrating into growing regions.

And remember, the triggers for these crises are not restricted to specifically weather events. Like yeah a bad drought or an early freeze could devastate a certain crop region somewhere. However it could be that an abnormally warm February causes a particular species of insect to emerge before its preferred food (I dunno say wheat) has had enough degree-days to develop its tiller tissue to be hardy enough to employ its natural defense against being gobbled up. I'm making the specific organisms up to illustrate a point but this hearkens to the Ft. McMurray wildfires last year. Those trees weren't kindling by coincidence, they'd been beetled to death.

The increased demand for staple crops and agricultural intensiveness will devastate soils in developing countries that do not have strong regulation to prevent such things, and on the human timescale, once that soil is gone, it is gone forever. Which creates a spiral of increasing demand placed on existing soil, which strips it, which creates increasing demand, etc.

The third-order impact that looms in my mind is the solutions that humans will resort to as we address these rolling crises. Direct chemical applications to crops are INCREDIBLY fossil fuel intensive both in their manufacture and their employ. The food distribution system will take on additional logistical burdens which will create similar fossil fuel demand. We will inevitably exacerbate climate change by trying to mitigate the effects of climate change.

Long story short is that it's a long story made short. Humans exist, live, and consume resources on a timetable some 2-3 orders of magnitude shorter than any non-fossil-fueled process is capable of replenishing them. It's why eventually so, so many geopolitical issues circle right on back to climate change. The manifestation of our relationship with the planet at large, in any capacity, comes down to fossil fueling away our problems, and putting that carbon back in the air.

loving :words: on a Sunday y'all. At least it's seasonably cool again.

My prediction is that food shortage insanity and supply chain insecurity leads us to helpfully "protect" a neighboring country whose resources start looking more and more tempting to a "bad" country. We probably do it to keep resource parity with China, who shamelessly annexes countries left and right.

We never quite reach WWIII, but we do end up in a new cold war where small countries are forced to pick sides.

Europe is split, except for Scandinavia. Everyone hates everyone else. Income disparity of tomorrow makes today's look like a joke. Weird hologram media nostalgia for the 2000s and 2010s is super popular and trendy. Robots do a lot of boring jobs. Also judge dredd comes true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Now I'm all depressed. Because I just try to ignore any talk like that because I know humanity is turbofucked and it just gets me down, really really down. Maybe I'd be better off killing myself. Unless aliens just swoop in and save us from ourselves we are just utterly hosed because the greed and stupidity and evilness of the rich and powerful, and the ignorance and stupidity of the masses. We loving industrialized and advanced way too quickly to understand what we were doing, and then when we figured it out it was too late because the selfish fucks in power were too busy huffing their own farts to even care when people started ringing alarm bells. gently caress this gay earth.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Richer industrialized countries in the northern hemisphere will likely be able to mitigate the most life-threatening aspects of climate change, but that's not going to make it any more pleasant when we have a sudden heatwave in Manhattan that turns April into mid-August. It's countries that are on the periphery that are truly turbofucked and where conditions could deteriorate to the degree that they pose serious regional security problems- think Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, the Gulf and parts of sub-Saharan Africa.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mike-o posted:

Now I'm all depressed. Because I just try to ignore any talk like that because I know humanity is turbofucked and it just gets me down, really really down. Maybe I'd be better off killing myself. Unless aliens just swoop in and save us from ourselves we are just utterly hosed because the greed and stupidity and evilness of the rich and powerful, and the ignorance and stupidity of the masses. We loving industrialized and advanced way too quickly to understand what we were doing, and then when we figured it out it was too late because the selfish fucks in power were too busy huffing their own farts to even care when people started ringing alarm bells. gently caress this gay earth.

You said it better than I could, :same:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

fart

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I don't need to know how to grow food, I just need to have enough guns to influence the guy who does.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Godholio posted:

I don't need to know how to grow food, I just need to have enough guns to influence the guy who does.

you can only shoot 1 gun at a time bro. might need to hone those social skills.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Mike-o posted:

This is exactly how I feel as well, with some more personal guilt tossed in because I loving love cars and things with engines and it's pretty much all I'm really good at doing.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

:colbert:

Don't look at this ATF I don't even have a dog for you to kill

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

me irl

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
sick duster

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

It lets people know not to gently caress with him.

Just, not in the way he intended.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Wick sure leveled up, all he needs is a single handgun nowadays.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

Wick sure leveled up, all he needs is a single handgun nowadays.

You realize John Wick is just a VR dream fantasy that Neo cooked up for himself, right?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Zeris posted:

You realize John Wick is just a VR dream fantasy that Neo cooked up for himself, right?

He just wanted a dang dog :(

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zeris posted:

:catstare: I'm high right now and that's amazing to me. I wish it were true and that the filmmakers could make it the greatest reveal after Darth Vader being Luke's father.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I just realized there are no dogs in the matrix. Or at least in the real world and not inside the simulation. Dogs must've all died after the machine war along with every other living thing on earth besides man :smith:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Mike-o posted:

I just realized there are no dogs in the matrix. Or at least in the real world and not inside the simulation. Dogs must've all died after the machine war along with every other living thing on earth besides man :smith:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
If I was in the matrix I"d be happy just knowing I could do anything and leave the bobots alone as long as I could fly around and bang whomever I wanted, whenever I wanted and do lots of computer drugs

edit quote circa me at 17, still true today

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
also a matrix "whoa" for the thread tag :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jun 27, 2002

Carrion Fairy

Zeris posted:

Europe is split, except for Scandinavia. Everyone hates everyone else. Income disparity of tomorrow makes today's look like a joke. Weird hologram media nostalgia for the 2000s and 2010s is super popular and trendy. Robots do a lot of boring jobs. Also judge dredd comes true.

I can recommend "Climate wars" by Harald Welzer. Despite its clickbaity title it's actually a rather well thought out extrapolation on how climate change will bring about global instability to the point of, hey, fascism rises again. Who would've thought?

• Locked thread