Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You could at least manage to post a March in the March thread, you antipodean stiffback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

gently caress you I talk about guns
I like guns. Talk about guns more.

Adiabatic posted:

Anybody have an elephant problem :clint:
Only in the sense of my BMI.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I could see myself enjoying any fixed target rifle shoot really.
The problem seems to be that some rifle clubs can be a little bit like Viz's The Real Ale Twats, with a bunch of old beardies who think it should only be for the sport of target shooting rather than just being a bit of a laugh.

How do you still fit in the cappo?
Smaller, removable steering wheel, mainly.

Luckily, while I am fat, I'm not as fat as my weight would suggest. I have a depleted uranium skeleton or something.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BraveUlysses posted:

just make sure you dont have a concealed carry permit and go try to get a weed card. the feds cross check the lists.
I'd love to know the logic on this.

:bahgawd: "What's the point of letting people have guns if they're too stoned to want to shoot anyone?"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sounds about right.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

texture-averse people
Not strictly related, but one of my weird "things" is not having gravy with a roast dinner. I like the combination of different flavours and textures, and never understand why people want to mask that with sticking gravy over the whole affair.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

1500quidporsche posted:

Yup I shave in the shower and I don't know why showering over the sink is a thing.
Take glasses off to shower. Can't see poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How different is it? Paint on bumpers is almost always a little off, even from the factory.

A lot of paint places now show people the difference before they paint, so they can see that it was like that originally, it's not an error on the painter's part when re-done.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, whenever this stuff comes up, it always makes me think that things must either be pretty hosed up in other countries, or people aren't thinking long term.

If you rent a house, someone owns it, and unless they're an idiot, the rent will be such that it covers at least their ownership cost and maintenance. Add on to the fact, as Tomarse says, after X years you've paid the purchase off and only have to handle the maintenance from then on, forever, functionally it shouldn't be cheaper to rent than to buy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Agreed. I'm happy owning and living in a house, and that's worth more to me than being miserable renting an apartment to "save money".

ITT:
"You shouldn't treat [things] as an asset as they can potentially cost you a hell of a more money than you've invested, and you probably can't sell them if things go south"

*Gets married and has kids*

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

ITT : The person correctly pointing out homes are not an asset is neither married nor has kids

No one is saying don't buy. What IS being said is approach housing with the correct attitude.
It was a joke, not an essay on the financial viability of the various means of putting a roof over one's head.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You bought a shoebox in the middle the road in Yorkshire?
*Starts the Hovis music*

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Try an amber/dark metallic orange, see how that looks?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nm posted:

I've been reading all your posts in a thick Yorkshire accent and now you're ruined it. With a posh accent, you just sound like a douche.
I thought I was the only forum regular who originated in Yorkshire. I really don't have the accent at all, though.

Film chat: I think the first cinema trip in my memory is probably Ghostbusters 2, because I spent the following week being freaked out by paintings.

Car chat: Anyone know anything about old head units? I've come into possession of an Alpine 7525R from 1992, and I managed to get it to power up, but then it shut off and I can't get anything out of it. It is getting power all the way through the internal side of the main connector port (earth, permanent live and switched live all ok), but I'm really not sure how to progress from there. It's not really worth anything now (RRP was £450 originally :gonk:), but it might make a nice "period" unit for something if I can get it working.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I'm no expert but if it powered up and then went off and now wont work then it sounds like something in it went pop! Visually inspect the components on the board and see if something looks hosed.
Mmm, unfortunately electronics isn't massively my thing, so unless it's really obvious, I may be a little stuck.

Tomarse posted:

When I first watched ghostbusters it was at a friends house on video. We then had to walk half a mile home in the dark with my parents and I remember it being an incredibly scary walk!
Even been out in the boonies at pitch-black-o'clock and had a vixen start screaming somewhere in the bushes behind you? Because Jesus Christ, you don't need that poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Not got a stupid feature where it won't power on without a good connection to the speakers?
No, because that would've stopped it powering on in the first place, so it can't be that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Are you connecting it directly to the battery? I recall some Kenwoods needed to go straight off the battery terminals, not the loom, as they are so power hungry

Or

Are the speakers of the right impedance? Get it wrong with too low an impedance and you could be tripping the overload protection inside the unit.
Yeah, i have a battery on a charger in the spare room I use for bench testing this kind of stuff, voltage is good, it's not a lack of power.

I don't have any speakers connected to it at all for this, and when it did turn on, it was coming on at minimum volume, so it shouldn't be an issue there. It's been in a car sat in a field for several years, so I think I'm probably going to have to open it up a bit more and have a poke around for corrosion and obvious duff components.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think I see a burnt pcb trace near one of the smaller capacitors. Will investigate further when I get a chance.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Counterfeit everything these days.
Yeah. The only shield for it is to be making parts for the military or aerospace, because then Uncle Sam starts paying attention in a "I'm from the government, and I'm not here to help" way.

KakerMix posted:

The point I'm trying to make is that Doug DeMuro is exactly the sort of guy you assume he is, full stop.
While Jay Leno seems like he tries to be "on form" a lot of the time, and he seems to talk over people a bit, I get the impression I could have a good James May-esque chat about obscure car poo poo. Doug DeMuro has this very artificial way about him with his stuff, and he presents his stuff to you, rather than it feeling like a conversational thing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Let alone not a single country is going to water down their regulations and that thence ends any and all possibilty of export unless GM does an expensive re-engineer. Or sales in California if that state insists on it's own emission / economy compliance.

But then again, GM is well known for being stupid and short sighted.
No, GM will be fine in Europe, because they have plants to build cars suited to the local market, and... Wait? You just sold the EU stuff to the French? Oops.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I have a budget of 2 grand, looking for a commuter car in Phoenix. Have a few options so far:

90-94 LS400s
2006+ crown Vics
2000ish CRV's or Isuzu Troopers

All are around 1800-2200. I'm going to look at a 2008 147k mile Crown Vic tomorrow for around 2k. Anything else I should look out for, model or gotcha wise?
I have no basis for an opinion on the first two, but for the third, I'd always choose the "real" 4x4 of the Trooper over the pseudo-SUV CRV.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If I don't like a given pizza, that just means I need more bourbon.

Except fish. gently caress having fish on pizza. That is "Jesus Christ, what's wrong with you?" territory.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm a "If it comes from the sea, I'll eat it" person.
Yes.

On a pizza? NO.

angryrobots posted:

No argument that the trooper is a much cooler ride...but the CRV is the better commuter vehicle. Far more reliable and better fuel mileage.
If you want a Honda commuter, buy a Civic or Accord.

If you want an SUV, buy a real one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

Curious what this means because if it's by numbers or consumer demand or any measurable metric then an 'SUV' is a commuter car for the suburbs that never sees off-road use.
Like hey I think Toyota Landcruisers are rad as hell but I'd certainly get the Lexus GX over a Landcruiser if given the choice .
Short version: "If it doesn't actually work off road, it can get hosed."

I'm not responsible for what X-thousand muppets buy. Any manufacturer presenting me with something 4x4/4WD/AWD had better actually mean it.

angryrobots posted:

Ok but the crv was one of the options presented, and commuter vehicle was the use we were given.

Not sure why you're knocking the CRV in any case, it's an economical hatchback.
If you want an economical hatchback, you don't need 4WD. If you want 4WD, "economic" is very secondary.

If someone tries to sell you an "economic 4WD hatchback", they're either lying and it won't do what you want, or it will do what you want, and your priorities are stupid/delusional.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dagen H posted:

They made FWD CR-Vs too :ssh:
I know.

They're poo poo too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

angryrobots posted:

Let the hate flow through you
You'd better believe it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Logical answer is make sure you buy a manual. Worst case, you can bump it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
US public expenditure on healthcare per capita is higher than the UK's, even if you take into account our private expenditure. Add in the US private expenditure (which effectively doubles the numbers involved) and it's just a joke.

I'd have little prolem with the "saving people the cost of subsidising X" argument if it wasn't evidently bollocks.

The only countries to exceed US per-capita public healthcare expenditure are the "It's cold, and frankly I've got nothing better to do than hit myself with a birch in a sauna" bits of Europe.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

There was a mini KKK meet here in town this morning.
Insert joke about small turbos here.

Rhyno posted:

Guess which group got busted up by the police with multiple arrests?
The one that hadn't done whatever the legally mandated permits/paperwork required in that locality for protests and marches are?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

Sounds like it was a combo of the students not having permits AND throwing eggs at the Klansters.
Sounds like they earned their police attention, then.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

excuse me, have you heard the word of the one true economical* 4WD hatchback yet? ~45-50mpg is possible, 4wd, 5 speed, seats 5**

You're forgetting that I'm the guy with the (superior) Panda 4x4s.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Garage has been broken into overnight. Welder and some socket sets stolen.

Luckily it's too messy for them to have had a proper dig in, but still annoying. They've properly trashed the door to get in, too - I have security deadbolts on it, and they've basically just ripped an entire section of door out to make a human-sized hole.

See how cooperative the insurance company feel like being when they open for me to call them.

EDIT: gently caress, they took my mountain bikes too. THAT annoys me.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 10, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

That sucks, hard.

Hopefully you have the serial number of the welder somewhere, i can't imagine the bikes had one.

sorry to say though, but it often gets worse. you'll be working on something when you realize the tools to do that are loving gone too.
The bikes would have frame numbers, but I don't know them. The reason it annoys me is that they're not worth much now, but I've had them for 15-20 years, so it's more sentimental value.

Insurance seem fairly easy to deal with. Later going to go and tidy up/do a list of what's gone walkies, sort out a temporary fix of garage door.

First, going to see if can find person across road who also supposedly got done, and swap details. This was clearly an organised/targetted thing, not just a couple of chavs grabbing loose stuff.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bolind posted:

gently caress, iDave, that sucks.
It happens. I don't live in the best area, but it takes some balls to do this out front in good lighting, in full view of a main road.

spog posted:

Did the police turn up?
No, but in fairness, I did say to them that there isn't much point in them doing so. I highly doubt there's a lot to be found in terms of evidence, and in the big scheme of things, they have other poo poo to deal with that can't be handled over the phone.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

That loving sucks about the garage. I'd feel violated, and that's a difficult thing to get over.
As I said, it's only the bikes that upsets me on that level. I'm mainly annoyed that the missing kit fucks up my plans for doing stuff at the weekend.

Tomarse posted:

I know how you feel (I had my shed broken into 5 years or so ago).
Luckily, the sheer messiness of the garage has prevented them taking too much. Oddly, they left behind a bright yellow hammer drill and orange cut-off saw, which I would have thought would attract them, but took other bits that are less "interesting" (a £10 recoil air hose for instance. WHY?).

I agree on the "welp, looks like that's missing too" issue on figuring out what's been pinched. Also, my insurers (Churchill) have been great to deal with so far, so hopefully it'll be a straightforward process.

Now I want to look up security reviews of my garage doors when I get home.
Probably not great unless they're specifically "security" ones of some kind. When I get my new one, it'll be getting some extra reinforcement from me, plus other security upgrades around the property.

spog posted:

i am sure that if Dave racks his memory carefully, he'll remember that he had a 3,000 piece Snap-on toolset in that garage as well, it's just that he can't find the receipt for it.

Powershift posted:

adding up the cost of the missing poo poo can be depressing, even when entirely honest. you don't realize you spend $5000 a year on tools until a year's worth of tools gets stolen.
Yeah, I'm at something like £2.5k already for the stolen stuff, plus the cost of replacing the door (I reckon a grand or so).

We'll see what happens. The entire situation is just an unnecessary irritation, frankly, but other than the aforementioned bikes, it's all just generic stuff that can be repurchased easily.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Holy if you have not seen Logan then get the gently caress out of the house and see it NOW

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm seeing it next Friday, and I can't wait!

Powershift posted:

I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it turns out that logan guy is actually wolverine from the comic books.
Seeing it Monday.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Garage is built on the house, but as Tomarse says, you don't hear poo poo, not such that it'd alert you as being something suspicious rather than a lorry going past outside.

I'm planning to sort out a security setup for the garage, plus get CCTV done (well, redone, the kit I had was annoying to use, and so didn't get used. Need a proper recorder setup and multiple HD cameras.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 10, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Garage update: Got visit from door contractor tomorrow morning to assess what's needed (clue: a new loving door) and pricing. Will discuss potential uprated options with him.

Dagen H posted:

No, that's the British version.

http://thechap.co.uk/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

I can get a 2 camera wired swann system and an additional wireless camera for about £200-250, that'll probably do me.
I'm tempted by the "Kare" systems on Amazon. Other than a certain amount of "these instructions are definitely from China", reviews seem good.

Going to have a chat with my neighbors so they don't feel I'm taking liberties to ask them not to walk in front of the cameras cos they UGLY
I really like CTEK ones

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

Will you get in trouble if you put a big piece of chicken wire in the middle of the door connected to an electric fence transformer, so if someone cuts through again they get lit up? I figure that would give any return customers a bit of a wakeup call that they should look elsewhere.
Short answer, yes. Anything I do that might actually give people pause to reconsider their life choices is :cop: territory. We're so far from castle doctrine here, you barely have the right to yell "Git oot ah mah swamp".

Though hopefully this may set some form of precedent: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-39233017

Given that I would actually like to own firearms in this country, I am effectively required (no, I'm not loving joking) to also comment that I Do Not Condone The Action(s) Depicted Here.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nm posted:

This gets you in trouble in the us.
The world is indeed a topsy-turvy, messed-up place.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

An electric fence doesn't kill or actually harm anyone
You're not building it right.

Electric fence in a garage is fine. It stops the bull escaping. You should be glad you didn't manage to break in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Garage update: Door replacement contractor been out to assess and measure. While a "like-for-like" replacement would still be better than what I had before due to build quality, and could be upgraded to a better lock system, he offered me a couple of options: "security" up-and-over door, or metal roller shutter system. I'm going to go for the latter, partly because it's more secure still (stronger, incorporates own alarm system if forced open), partly because the lead time is no worse than a standard replacement, and partly because it will be a visible upgrade for anyone paying attention.

• Locked thread