Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Three-Phase posted:

Also the MPG shift going from 25°C to 60°C is absolutely crazy. I mean like 32MPG to over 40MPG (city).
Wait, what? 60°C ambient temperature? Jesus Christ. How is that even possible? Isn't that higher than the global record?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm bored, recommend me a car film I'm unlikely to have watched before.
What sort of stuff have you seen/do you like?

If you want dumb entertainment, maybe Drive Angry or Hit And Run.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Add the original Vanishing Point to the "classics" list too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

Ronin, if you haven't already.
Also the original Taxi movie(s) for those who haven't seen them (TBH anything with Luc Besson at the helm is always a solid watch).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Haven't done yet, will do.
It's stupid, but gloriously so. The only film that makes me want a 406.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm seemingly the only person in the world who hated Duel. Watched it in driver's ed.
Clearly it wasn't that educational, then.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I just finished Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road' and my biggest question is "Why is there such a shortage of shoes, it's obviously just a few years after whatever trump did to that world's timeline that reduced the population by 90% and I've got like 10 pair I don't even remember owning in my closet at this point, where did all the shoes go"
I've only watched the (massively depressing) film rather than reading the book, and I was kind of "meh" on the concept.

Within a short time of [poorly defined apocalypse], people with practical skills will be valuable enough to either be in charge of survivor settlements, or very valuable to them. No-one who posts regularly here needs to be worried.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

stump posted:

Continuing movie chat the trailer for Baby Driver looks fun. Edgar Wright (Spaced / Hot Fuzz / Shaun of the Dead / Scott Pilgrim) usually does entertaining stuff and he was recently posting about his love of The Driver mentioned earlier so I'm pretty hyped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byb2eJ_lLes
That looks pretty good.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

stump posted:

Fucks sake, an hour and a half motorway trip home became a three and half hour trip through town centres and single track roads because some idiot tried to drive a lorry over the forth road bridge in high winds again.
The lorry voted on whether to exit from the bridge, and the fact it didn't do so, and that it's probably a bad idea, is no reason why it shouldn't be allowed to try again later.

That stuff kind of sucks, though, I've been caught a few times stuck on totally closed motorways, and you can be there for literally hours, the only time there was an upside was when I was at the front of the queue when it reopened and I got to do a standing mile run on the M1.

For the Americans: "Single track roads" in Scotland means the speeder bike scene in Return Of The Jedi, only with the Ewoks wearing sporrans.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I got stuck on the M6 for 2 hours last week for that lorry fire between J14 and J15. It was 5:30AM and I was only around 5 miles into my trip so still almost within sight of my house. There is nothing worse than getting stuck at this time of day and at that point in a journey. The fire wasnt even on my side of the road.
You always find yourself eyeing up the banks and wishing you were in the Landie, don't you?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

My 'boring 2 day in a hotel' annual company meeting turned out to be a cover story for 'reinterview for your jobs, cause some of you are getting canned'

Anyone know how to smuggle a hotel bed and TV out with your luggage?
Well, traditionally, the TV goes out the window. But it only counts if it's still plugged in and working when it hits the pool.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Turns out my sense of humour hasn't matured in the slightest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHArmhIAPBE

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ahhhh the joys of an allnighter.
Ah, so this was you?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Does anybody know of any free dyno apps for iPhones that will give me a 0-60 time?
I am curious about just how slow my truck is!

I was messing about with the innovate LogWorks app earlier which claims to do it - and I recorded a 19sec 0-60.
It also says that I did a 23.7sec 1/4 mile with a top speed of 73mph.
I'm not sure I believe it!
Does Dynolicious no longer exist?

There's a free one called GSpot, maybe try that. No experience myself.

Also, in terms of Landie meeting high tech, I'm going to be fitting a tracker to mine, friend's 90 got broken into this week, and only reason they couldn't nick it is the battery being removed at the moment.

Goober Peas posted:

So I hesitate to do this but since we participated in the dogge contest, it would be nice if we jumped into the GWP dogge thread to offer condolences to Icarus' owner. Icarus (a very good dogge) had an accident and is chasing bumpers in vallalla now. His owner, Nostalgia4Dogges is understandably upset given the circumstances.
Sucks man, but, er, where is GWP? I'm not joking when I say I basically don't venture out of AI.

Enourmo posted:

Apparently my uncle died very suddenly. :( I'm still kinda processing it, while simultaneously putting off going to see my mom and grandma. I've never been great at expressing grief.
poo poo dude. Just deal with it your own way, there's no prerequisite to have a certain way of expressing it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Thanks. He has my sympathy, really, but I'd feel weird jumping into a forum/thread I'm not part of to say anything.

angryrobots posted:

Speaking as a person known to assemble cylinder heads on the kitchen table (when I was single), I still would never bring a used car battery in the house.
I have one in my spare room to power 12v stuff for testing etc. In a plastic tub to stop it leaking, solar charger in the window to keep it topped up.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrChips posted:

So coming from a while back, but here's a fun fact for you all; after 9/11, Disney twisted the arm of the FAA and got Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs) put around both Disneyland and Disney World. Flights within a three-mile radius and below 3000 feet above the ground are not permitted, ostensibly for security reasons but realistically they just don't want people flying around their precious parks.
I think it probably is for a reassurance of security.

If they were bothered about people flying close, they wouldn't have built their own runway.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Insurance claims management company have confirmed my payout (in the form of vouchers for https://www.wheelies.co.uk) for stolen MTBs. Now I need to read up on potential replacement(s), because Jesus Christ things have changed a bit in that world :corsair:.

Door booked for replacement, but will have a couple of weeks lead time. Socket sets paid out for, angle grinder replacement will be in the post. Just need insurance company to sort out :10bux: for welder and a few other bits, as they're not something the claims management people can provide.

Also going to be sorting out a proper digital 1080p CCTV system with a recorder before actually purchasing replacement stuff.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Mountainbikes are now all huge wheeled and 1x10 geared. I miss 26" wheels
1x11 now :psyduck:.

27.5"/650b doesn't bother me in and of itself, as long as it's as strong as the old 26" stuff.

EDIT: Bike guys, do modern SRAM trigger shifters shift the "correct" way (thumb under the bar is bigger sprocket/lower gear, finger over the bar is smaller sprocket/higher gear)?

How do 1x11 drietrains cope with "more torque than some small block V8s" riders?

Isn't a 32 or 34 tooth single chainring really undergeared in a lot of situations?

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 17, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Shifters don't dictate the way the mech moves, the mech does. I take it you've had a run in with Shimano's reverse rise poo poo from the past then :v: I still have that on my 2005 Orange 5 and I quite like it actually!

32/34 is only undergeared if you're riding massively fast trails or doing a spot of road riding. Generally it's bang on though and with the low gear on the cassettes now being enormous you get the full spread of gearing you previously did with a 3x9.

And chains are strong, it's a rare occasion I've seen them broken from SHEER POWER rather than idiocy shifting all the gear whilst still pedaling.
With the shifters, it's more I'd assume they package stuff together, so you'd get a reverse rise "system" from them, but if they're still the traditional pattern as per normal rapidfire, then fair enough.

Gearing, I guess you're right, it just feels odd the lose that big gearing up top. I suppose I could just change to a larger chainring if I had an issue, I rarely used the granny ring anyway, so even a net increase in overall gearing would be fine.

I wasn't so much worried about snapping a chain, more wondering if the 11 speed stuff is any less durable in terms of wear, especially when packed with grinding paste mud.

This is all getting a bit ahead of myself anyway. I need to literally get back in the saddle and get to a position where I can justify a new bike rather than being the stereotypical porcine weekend warrior on several times as much bike as I can actually make use of.

Saying that, those carbon Marin Mount Visions look nice...

Goober Peas posted:

Re: Geo Tracker
Aren't front diffs a little weak on them?

Doesn't seem to stop people over here, though. They've always been popular for fairly serious off road work, especially in that period between cheap SJs becoming scarce and Jimnys not having dropped to shed money.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

With the shifters...
I was in Halfords today, and had a poke at the SRAM shifters on some bikes there. They have a large thumb paddle for downshifts, but the upshift trigger is a smaller paddle behind that, you push it forward, rather than flicking it toward you with your index finger.

What the gently caress is this bullshit? Are they all like that?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

Pros ride it, they have more power than you, it's not going to break. Unless you're nm.
As I said before, I'm more concerned with durability/wear than outright strength.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's likely going to need touching in and wetsanding, but should be possible to get mostly disappeared to the casual viewer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

Some of the narrow-wide chainrings I hear wear out a little more quickly but for the most part it's not an issue. 11s cassette is wider so the gears and chains are only slightly thinner than 10 speed.

nm posted:

My 11 speed chains and cassettes last longer than my 10 speed. My broken cassette excepted (which was also 10 speed anyhow).
Ok, that's good to know.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sell your kid, gets more liquid capital for the RS, and also helps preserve the paint.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Welp, my research into current mountain bike tech has hit its peak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4992u9uTjE

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rdb posted:

Drive a little more and do the bourbon trail.
What's the Bourbon Trail? Sounds like my cup of tea.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Imagine Oregon Trail but with a lot more drinking.
So basically Deadwood, then?

Fine. Sign me up.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rdb posted:

Its like a wine tour except with Bourbon.
Despite the protestations of my liver, you have my attention.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, while TPMS really doesn't matter, in my opinion, and a lot of people disable it to fit different wheel combinations etc, if you're a dealer selling a car, don't take the chance.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ah, Taschen, always a reliable source of "It's art, ok?".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

QuarkMartial posted:

I'm turning 31 this year and started 2017 weighing 437. Now I'm down to 417 and I've been lifting weights six days a week. I feel like I'm kicking rear end and going to be entering my prime strength and weight-wise.
Awesome stuff, man! I'm not close to your weight even though I am in :btroll: mode currently, but I can tell you from experience, being a heavy dude who loses weight due to lifting will make you seriously strong.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The only thing LeFou was guilty of was being French
That's a pretty serious offence, though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is there sufficient access for a truck to do a straight pour, or would it need to be done manually?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, at least I'm not quite that bad yet!

Update on my garage burglary situation: I'm effectively "cashed out" by the insurers at this point, and they (Churchill) have been great to deal with frankly. No hassle and everything sorted quickly. I did end up getting a slight reduction in the payout for the welder and related items due to hitting their overall limit on a claim for a garage (yes, I will be addressing that in terms of my cover level in future), but it just means waiting until Machine Mart have a VAT-free day to repurchase stuff, I'll still come out back where I was. However, I'm not actually going to be buying anything until my (far more secure) new garage door is fitted in a couple of weeks or so and my CCTV and alarm situation has been upgraded quite a lot.

Now, for the bikes that were taken, again, I'm not going to be buying something new immediately - I am however getting myself a very cheap hardtail to get my eye back in before deciding. I suspect I'm going to go with a single, really nice, hardtail when I do buy something. Here are some current thoughts on that, if anyone wants to have an opinion:

- Orange P7 Pro
- Saracen Mantra Carbon Elite
- Cotic Soul
- Cotic BFe275
- Ragley Piglet
- Onza Jackpot
- Kona Explosif

As you can see, other than the carbon Saracen, there's a definite "steel trailbike" bent to my thoughts, and I would prefer something :britain:. The On-One Ti 45650b is also in the running, but would involve going (more than) a little over budget. It's not an immediate thing, though, so I'll be able to sort some test rides etc nearer the time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Titanium is forever as long as it fits you properly.
I'd argue steel is too, and I won't deny there's a certain old-school appeal to it. I'm very much looking at the P7 as what I'll be trying first and comparing to others.

jammyozzy posted:

I have no opinion on the bike, but PlanetX dumped all of their warehouse staff and outsourced them about a month before Christmas, then blamed it on Brexit. :britain:
Kind of sounds like a dick move, but if they're still operating on the model of sourcing cheap frames from the far east and selling them cheap, I can see how the exchange rate situation etc would hit them pretty hard.

I'd be interested in a Dialled frame, but it looks like everyone's moving to through-bolt rear axles now, which strikes me as the better engineering solution (and more future-proof), and they're still running a normal QR dropout.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

Goon in the MTB thread reviewed a few bikes including the P7, and is pretty sure he'll buy that. The Soul's 69deg with a 140mm fork seems too steep for rockier trails. Even the BFe's 68 might not be enough.
The P7 has a slack angle and just 140mm -- focus seems good for a hardtail. By a geometry calculator, should be 66.5deg with sag.
The Fox 34 on the P7 Pro is a helluva fork, in my pretty limited riding experience.
Haha, "just" 140mm on a hardtail. Things have changed a bit, yeah.

Could you point me to the MTB thread?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

By just, I meant the design isn't advertised for less travel, like the Cotics. The P7 review should be a few pages back.
Ah, right. It looks like Cotic spec the Soul for 140mm max, recommended 120mm, but the BFe is listed as being for 140mm, so it's probably the closer parallel to the P7.

Oh, also adding the Pace RC127 to the list of contenders.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I sincerely hope Pace have upped their quality control. I used to live in Leeds and rode with a bunch of people with Pace frames and forks, a couple were sponsored. The forks needed nigh on weekly stripping down to work as they should in a world where Fox and Rock Shox forks were just tanks. Also the 'cheap' Pace frames were honestly as shittily welded as Halfords cheapo far Eastern ones. I was honestly shocked just how crap they were...

I got to go on a factory tour due to knowing the riders and the warranty department was packed to the rafters with chimps twatting things with hammers. It's not like the company was huge at the time but that department was loving busyyyyyyyy
Ha, that's good feedback, i suppose, thanks.

I am enjoying the window shopping though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I think I can double dip and work from 0800-1245 on training days, and then work my 1300-0100 shift.
I have done that before. It's physically possible. You won't enjoy it.

Check your company's policy on maximum hours per shift/day/week and/or minimum nuber of downtime hours between work.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

I don't particularly like Mike's style, but death threats, really?
Probably 99% idiot children who think it's edgy. Of course, you have to watch for that 1% actual nutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I just know it's a bit poop as I'm being forced to use it.
Our MRP system was being quite slow to use yesterday. The explanation from IT was that "it looks like someone is on a videoconference and that may be affecting it".

I don't want to know what kind of lunacy has led to that being a thing.

• Locked thread