Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Most of my guns are back at my parents' house in Atlanta. I didn't bring any with me when I moved to the Chicago No Fun Zone, and only made one trip back to bring up some handguns once I got my FOID.

Now I'm moving to Manhattan, so I get to go through the SAME PROCESS BUT WORSE!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Looks good, although closest one is 2 hours away in Orlando.

We just got a Culver's recently are they any good?

Yeah, they're pretty good. They make a good cheeseburger with nothing fancy. If you want to clog your arteries, get a cheeseburger, some fried cheese curds, and a custard.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yeah, avocado haters are broken.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I tried Culver's and it was a major disappointment.
The Habit is far superior. I also enjoy smash burger.

I suspect you went into Culver's with the wrong expectations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yeah, dark meat is juicier and more flavorful, just like rare - med-rare steak.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Steak chat: I'm too afraid of setting off the smoke alarm in the high-rise where I live to cook a steak properly. I've tried on the gas grills we have on the roof deck, but I haven't been able to make a really good sear yet.

Shave chat: I dislike shaving. I used a safety razor for about a year; it was okay but nothing fantastic. My wife got me a Braun electric shaver that self-cleans, and I like that more, but I started growing a goatee just so I could get away with avoiding shaving more than once every couple of weeks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

scuz posted:

Next class is April 1st! $125, well worth it, in my opinion. The guy that teaches the class primarily does artwork and whatever but welding's welding and he was a quality instructor.

Use that money to come to Chicago and learn for free every Thursday evening at the South Side Hackerspace.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Workshop 88 is out in Glen Ellyn (about 50 miles from you), and Milwaukee Makerspace is up in Milwaukee (about 50 miles from you). Pumping Station One is on the north side of Chicago, about 40 miles from you, but they've gotten too big and their culture's kinda suffered if you ask me.

e. I guess what I'm saying is, just rent yourself a little crashpad in Bridgeport.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 6, 2017

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The Little Mermaid, with my grandmother. My mom tells me that Grandma pretended to be frightened at some of the Ursula scenes, and I (who couldn't have been older than 2) reassured her that it was just a movie.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I got promoted from test engineer to applications dev and today is my first day

About 2 dive into a xamarin codebase pray for me

Grats!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

New keyboard day!

Code Keyboard. Cherry MX clears. I'm tired just from typing this sentence.

I have the same one, but with MX greens. It's the best keyboard. My coworkers are lucky I work from home.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Do we have any mobile app devs or software devs here? Got some questions for you

Let 'er rip (although I'm mostly back-end)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I bet those welfare queens are using cold air to preserve food, not big barrels of salt like we used to when we were pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The government doesn't work, and by god I'm going to make sure of it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

Also -- Amazon is down again, this time affecting the storefront. I don't think this cloud thing is working out so well.

Works from here :confused:

https://status.aws.amazon.com/

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Whee, I just landed in New York for an interview tomorrow! Wish me luck!

(Then cheer me up because, ughhhhhhhhhh Manhattan.)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Good luck! After the interview go eat fish off a naked chick.

If I have time, I'll settle for lunch at this chinese place my wife likes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Whee, I just landed in New York for an interview tomorrow! Wish me luck!

(Then cheer me up because, ughhhhhhhhhh Manhattan.)

The interview went ok! I wrote a lot of code on whiteboards using dying markers, and they gave me a coffee mug as a lovely parting gift. I'll know how I did next week.

Also, this fuckin' egg roll is the size of a burrito.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

puberty worked me over posted:

Forums are kind of a poop way to organize data anyway. Genuinely surprised there aren't wikis for specific car makes/models.

As bad as forums are, wikis manage to be stunningly worse without a ton of upkeep.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Goofy half trucks for moving around seaplanes are super cool.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

JFairfax posted:

Are any goons here involved in the 24 hours of LeMons in the Chicago area?

I'd like to get involved and wondering if anyone here is part of a team that will be racing at Joliet this July?

I'll email a guy that I'm pretty sure is on a team and get back to you.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Because the cost of living is 1/3 that of anywhere nice that isn't some shithole in Texas/Oklahoma.

Come to Chicago! Worst of both worlds!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

JFairfax posted:

Are any goons here involved in the 24 hours of LeMons in the Chicago area?

I'd like to get involved and wondering if anyone here is part of a team that will be racing at Joliet this July?

Hey, are you looking to join a team? My guy says that the 24 Hours of Lemons forums are a good place to start.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

So, uh, how hard is it to learn stick? If I bought a Focus RS or Civic R with no manual experience would I just gently caress up the car and cost myself a ton of money?

Where are you? AI has clapped out stick shift vehicles all over the country. I practiced a few times in my friend's Ford Probe before I bought my Mazdaspeed Protege -- only stalled it once driving home from the car lot.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Rascal status: currently in second place

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'll have about five hours to kill at the Stockholm Arlanda airport on Wednesday. What's worth seeing / doing within reasonable travel time of there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Any Chicago locals know about Southside Hacker Space?I remember them coming up in the chat thread a while ago, and some actual metalworking tools and actual experience wouldn't be unwelcome

I've been on the board of directors for almost four years. We're pretty cool. We've got welders and grinders and saws and drills and such -- one of the community colleges keeps teasing us with a cheap Bridgeport mill, but I'm not holding my breath.

freelop posted:

Couple of pages late but I put another vote for Rascal in.

In a couple of weeks the missus and I be getting our first dog - this is Brigg

We met him last weekend and he is a good boy :3

He looks like such a good boy!

• Locked thread