Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I tried Culver's and it was a major disappointment.
The Habit is far superior. I also enjoy smash burger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

scrubs season six posted:

Funny, my gf lived in Phoenix for ~5 years and I'm not sure she'd be as complimentary about the transportation situation there. But more funny just an hour ago we were talking about moving to SLC (from Reno) due to a job opportunity so if you have any general insights on that I'd be interested. I did a six week field course out of Park City and we went through/by SLC quite a few times so I'm somewhat familiar with the temps (about the same in the summer, cooler in the winter) and inversions that are (expectedly) far shittier than Reno.

Surprised to hear about active lane assist on a Corolla.

Late on replying but work travel and a ball busting week has kept me sidelined.

I will say a few things: I am a Salt Lake native, born and raised. I live in the southern part of the Salt Lake valley between the main city center and Provo/Utah County. It is a smaller city with a lot of individuality and cool stuff to go around. If you are the outdoorsy type then you will never bore from things to do. Park City is far different from Salt Lake proper but I do love PC and a dream I have had since I was younger was to retire filthy rich and live out the remainder of life in Park City. Traffic is kind of meh, but nothing compared to what other cities experience. It is funny when people talk about how traffic is "SOOO BAD" when it actually isn't if you lived in a place with horrible traffic. The drivers suck. The roads are maintained to a category I would say is "meh". Snow plowing has improved a lot I feel over the last decade than time gone by. If you wanted to you can probably get by with good all seasons like the majority of people do here. Dedicated snow tires is the better choice.
The state is really kicking rear end and has a strong economy, and has had a strong economy even through the mire of crap we have had for the last decade. The people are great I think. Good news is there is a lot of Mormons (myself included :toot:). Bad news is there is a lot of Mormons. There is a lot of weird cultural quirks but not everyone is LDS (Mormon) and you have a good chance of finding friends. A lot of people here are career and goal driven and generally try to be good people. Many are focused on raising families and adhere to a lot of traditional moral values. Culturally a lot of the state is Conservative/Republican leaning but if you actually talk to people and hear more about what they identify as core values and stuff they are more Libertarian but just have no idea that is what their beliefs should be classified as. There are good places to plant and call home. There are equally crap places in the valley that suck for reasons like accessibility/crime/infrastructure etc. The air quality is poor at times during the winter but if regular storms are happening it isn't too bad. Like I said living at the south end of the valley I have a bit of wind that keeps the soupy stuff more central in the valley. If you want to know more ask away.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Powershift posted:

Goes great with a little bit of ketchup.

Truly King of all condiments.

Ranch lovers please vacate.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

slidebite posted:

I think my blades are Derbys. They're OK but nothing great.
These are what I used as my first batch of blades. They are good blades for noob to amateur wet shavers. A few years back I've made the swap to the Japanese feather blades and they are incredible. You have to respect them but they are the business.

Hansolio posted:

I've been using Prorasso for years and I love it. The Eucalyptus and Menthol make for a great feeling on your face. I might have switched back to a two blade cartridge razor out of laziness but you can pry good shaving cream out of my cold dead hands.
:same: As I only shave once a week a tube of cream lasts me a couple years and it's only like $9 on Amazon.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I think forums poster slothrop has put an end to the discussion of how a piece of cow should be consumed.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I have submitificated my vote. Anyone who hasn't voted is a jerkass.

First movie I remember seeing in theaters would probably be either Beauty and the Beast? I feel like I remember my local tiny movie theater showing the Ewok Adventure there too; but Google tells me that was a made for TV movie. I could have sworn I remember a movie poster in the theater though.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

funny Star Wars parody posted:

buy the raptor

it's super worth it (because it looks rad as hell)

not emptyquoting but this is right.

scrubs, are you going to move to Salt Lake?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Dougs' initial posting was decent. It was back when Jalopnik wasn't a huge steaming turd. I think he jumped the shark when he bought the Aston. The Skyline was neat. The Hummer was neat. The CTS-V was obviously very cool.

His videos are terrible.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Can we talk about something other than healthcare? I pay a shizton of taxes. I pay a shizton for healthcare. I get it. It all sucks. The sky is falling, thank you chicken little - what would we do without you. :what:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Confession: whenever I get pizza I always get it with jalapeņo and anchovies because I am secretly pregnant
I bet your wife would rather kiss Rascal on the mouth :barf:

Mr-Spain posted:

This is crazy.
California gonna California.

Returning to steak chat I have decided the only steak I will eat from a restaurant and not feel bad thinking I could do better would be when I go to a Japanese steak house. The wife and I went to our favorite local one last night on a date which is not a chain but independent. The filet mignon is unlike anything else. Of course you have to get it with garlic. My parents came to watch our kids so we could take the night out. My wife was expecting eating a burger when I suggested we go to Cheesecake Factory or Bonsai. It was that we could get some noodles that made us choose Bonsai and it was The Right ChoiceTM

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Waking up in two hours to put 15 pounds of pork shoulder on the smoker :whatup:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

InitialDave - sorry to hear man. It is total ball ache going through that nonsense and the worst part of it all is the feeling of violation.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

might as well toss some sausages on there while you're at it.

or a brisket.

or two...

I am gonna need a bigger boat smoker.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

scuz posted:

Budgeting is so loving boring and my ADD is so loving bad that I get distracted the moment I sit down to do anything productive. My plan now is to go through the last three months of bank statements and figure things out. I'll probably do the goddamn spending jar bullshit that a 7th grader would use to budget their allowance/summer job income because I'm so stupid with this poo poo. I'm also pissed that my credit card interest is loving huge and that SoFi rejected me :classiclol:

Yes while that does seem adolescent to do it beats being broke. Find a system that works for you and then work the hell out of that system.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

meltie posted:

I take back what I said about Derby blades.

Fresh ones cut really sharply, they just don't seem to weather well at all. "Old" blade - one used then left for a week in the razor - awful.

:agreed: I use my feather blades two times then toss them in the used blade bank. They're so cheap it doesn't even matter.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Matt Criibabi posted:

Heya AI goons,

I just bought a car a couple weeks ago that is probably going to take over my life and I just wanted to check in with you guys.

She's this lovely lady right here and she's a magical creature:

(1974 Super Beetle. Indeterminate mileage. Runs like a loving champ.)

I posted about her on The Samba, which is a site I didn't even know existed until recently. So my question to AI is, do we trust these guys? I don't necessarily want to have more than one forum in my life, but I didn't see any sort of classic VW thread here... maybe the general VW/porche thread is adequate? I don't know why I trust goons more than other strangers on the internet... it's probably Stockholm syndrome. I just want to do right by her, ya know?

This is cool and welcome to the IRL cool guys forum.

I did a fair amount of research on a DSLR while my wife was pregnant with my second child because I wanted to capture memories better than our iPhones were capable of doing. I ended up with the Canon T5i with the 18-55 kit lens and the zoom lens (55-250? I think) from Costco. I have never used the zoom lens so in hindsight I probably wouldn't have bothered with buying the combo pack. I did get the ~$125 Canon 50mm prime lens that spends most of the time on the camera. I wish it could focus a little faster. I decided that this camera body had way more settings beyond my skill set but I am getting better at it and will one day replace it with higher end glass and I would love to eventually get a full frame camera; maybe look at picking up a used 5D mkIII without eleventy billion on the shutter count.

I have definitely taken some photos that I was really happy with the result. I don't have photoshop so I pretty much just pull the raw images from the camera and go from there. Photoshop is another thing on my list of things I want to eventually get good at.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

The iPhone 7 plus with portrait mode suits my needs

Only problem is a laughably large phone. iPhone SE 4lyf

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

St Albans in between on site work around Deer Park / Laverton. Yes, St Albans is as lovely as I have been told :)

That place has gotten dodgy, even more so since I was there in ~2005. I lived just north of Main Road West a few blocks north from the train station on the east side of the tracks. There was a lot of cultural diversity and nobody got along well.
I remember one night in my flat trying to fall asleep and hearing the unmistakable sound of a semi automatic pistol and thinking 'That's not something you hear every day in Australia'.

That neighborhood had the best Turkish kebab I ate in all of Melbourne.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MONGREL IS UP AND YOU BETTER VOTE FOR RASCAL

The finals voting thread is active HERE

The finals donation toxx thread is active HERE

Voted 5 Rascal. Em Effing C-SPAM/D&D ruining a game pretty much like they are ruining the rest of the internet smdh

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Preface: I am a dad to a girl almost five years old so I have directly and indirectly exposed to a lot of Disney princesses/movies etc. On Sunday we watched the new(ish) live action Cinderella which was a first for me as my wife did a mommy/daughter date when that one came out. It was really good and I think paid good respect to the original and the story. There was some great back story added that gave greater depth to the step mother (the "villain") as well as making the prince not seem like such a bore but a Cool Guy[upper]TM[/upper]. The actress that played Cinderella really sold the character and you could tell they genuinely were pretty stoked to be playing the part. Helena Bonham Carter was a treasure as well and in the ~5 minutes she was on the screen were laugh out loud hilarious.

Last night we took the kids to the new Beauty and the Beast movie and I was...whelmed. Not overwhelmed, or underwhelmed. Maybe it was because it relied so heavily on CGI? There was a lot about the movie that didn't impress me. As far as Disney princesses go Belle has been the best by far (although Moana is seriously kickass and possibly tied second to Rapunzel). Gaston is one of the best Disney villains of all time and the character just fell flat. There were a couple of shining moments where you were like YES! This is the douche we have grown to hatelove but there was not nearly enough of that. The dubbing for the parts of Emma Watson singing seemed slightly off and it was super distracting. There was a little back story on Beast, Belle's dad Maurice, and some other characters that helped the story a little. I just feel like this wasn't Emma Watson's best performance. Probably the brightest light of the movie was Kevin Kline playing Maurice. As a last note I cannot :lol: enough at people freaking out over LeFou and the "gay moment". The only thing LeFou was guilty of was being French and this is the observation of a Mormon dude living in Utah.

I know I am not the only dad in here who has given way more thought on the intricacies of Disney Princess worldbuilding. Am I off base? Is Belle actually not The Best?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I got crap last night while skating for knowing all of Frozen's "let it go" as a single/childless-male and was like "don't care, it's catchy". I then requested "just can't wait to be king" and "be prepared". Requesting 3-4 songs a week to skate to without dupes is hard. Disney does good songs.

Haven't seen either of those live action remakes, though.
Cinderella came out like two years ago I think? Like I said I saw it for the first time on Sunday. It was good!
Frozen had a good soundtrack and Kristen Bell and about a million plot holes. It's not the worst offender as 'crap' princesses go...(I'm looking at you little mermaid)

cakesmith handyman posted:

So many blokes at work are talking about that loving film if I didn't know better I'd suspect it had Emma Watson nude in it.
Spoiler alert there isn't
The movie made 350 million in a weekend. :eyepoop:

scuz posted:

Moana kicks so much rear end. If Moana isn't a tearjerker for you on any level you should go to the hospital immediately because your heart has turned to obsidian and you're likely to die at any minute. Girlfriend and I saw it twice in theaters and she just saw Beauty and the Best and thought it was "magical."

:hfive: Moana will make a grown rear end man cry. The soundtrack owns. The Rock owns, Jemaine Clement owns. Between this and Zootopia I will give the Disney machine a lot of monies.

Sorry about your girlfriends wrong opinions on what "magical" looks like.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Geoj posted:

If you or someone you know has a Costco membership they just rolled out a really nice bench with the summer seasonal stuff for $60, might be worth checking out.

If you don't have a Costco membership just get a couple of ~$20 gift cards there and use that as your entry pass. It gets you in and you can spend beyond whatever is on the gift card and just use cash or your debit card. I did that when I was single. Costco owns; just dropped $200 there yesterday - $40 of which was on a ~13 pound USDA Prime brisket that is getting smoked this weekend. USDA Prime for about $3/pound :allears:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

willroc7 posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reputable car shipping company? Trying to find one for a relatively short Ohio to Michigan job. TIA

I asked around here in the forums without much response at all. I used Direct Express Auto Transport to ship the E90 M3 I bought from El Dorado Hills (Sacramento area CA) to Salt Lake: https://www.autotransportdirect.com/ I used the "mid grade" shipping and chose the enclosed trailer option. I was not in any kind of rush and taking a few days or whatever was fine. I was shipping a car not a Amazon Prime shipment. I felt the time from bid to accepting the job to delivery was all very reasonable and faster than I could do myself. The enclosed trailer was TOTALLY worth it. It was a private contractor in a beautiful massive trailer that had other high end cars. Great communication from start to finish. I also appreciated that you could get a ball park quote without having to put in all of your personal information that nearly every other car shipper required just to get a quote. It was the better price compared to shipyourcarnow.com that my friend used to get his Euro Rallye Golf he imported and said he had a good experience with.

So there you go. That is my experience. The midgrade shipping option had the driver/job assigned within 15 minutes of me placing the order. The car was picked up like two days after and delivered in...two or three days? I don't remember. Smooth process though - about $750.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Paying for air at a petrol station? Jesus Christ.

Even better: the nearest petrol station by my house has a compressor that takes credit cards. You can now finance air!

Speaking of compressors I bought my first compressor from harbor freight (just a 10 gallon cheapy) for a home project and I am so excited! :feelsgood:

What's the required wait time until I can buy all the air powered tools?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

S-Town is a very good Podcast. They have thankfully released all chapters in one day. I am about half way through and this story is v. good.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

rdb I am so sorry to hear that. I hope that you and your family can find the support you need at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Geoj posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

Just took a call from one of my old bosses at the call center that laid me off last month, asking if I could come in to sign a noncompete they "forgot" to have me sign when I first started there in summer of 2015.

He seemed genuinely confused when I said no, and doubly so when I explained that I stand to gain nothing by doing so when he asked why I was being "difficult".

Wow, that is just stupid on so many levels. Depending on if you have any bridges that do or don't need burning there are so many delightful ways that you could respond.

• Locked thread