Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

InitialDave posted:

I'd love to know the logic on this.

:bahgawd: "What's the point of letting people have guns if they're too stoned to want to shoot anyone?"

Growing weed is a federal felony and they don't like it when felons have guns, even if the felony is dumb as gently caress.

My strong recommendation for weed under trump: don't loving grow it, don't loving sell it. Legal advice you can take to the bank. DEA wants to go after the medical poo poo and they only knocked that poo poo off when obama told them. Trump and Sessions won't, even if they won't explictly order them to go after medical.

If you are doing medical under trump, use a dispensery as that will shift the risk. Yeah, it costs more, but defense attorneys are expensive and prison really hurts lifetime earnings. If you must grow, do not under any cercimstance give weed to anyone. Even if they have a card. I don't mean sell, I mean don't even give. Don't even pass the joint. Seriously.

All it takes is one pissed off neighbor to make your life suck. Seriously, the laws are still on the books and there are a huge number of DEA agents who would love to make a name busting a "major drug dealer" (with 4 plants).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ilkhan posted:

Not worth it. Get Habit.

I think five guys makes a better burger, but habit will put avocado on it, so I'm torn.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Looks good, although closest one is 2 hours away in Orlando.

We just got a Culver's recently are they any good?
Yes

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

AVOCADO?????

EWWWWWWWW

Honestly, gently caress this current BS about avocado on everything. The sandwich bar near me puts it on everything, sushi is infested with it, bloody pizzas have it now. NO. gently caress aavocado

Sorry about your broken taste buds. Admittedly, good avocado is hard to find outside of mexico and states bording Mexico.

Don't you fuckers put beets on burgers?

Avocados on pizza admittedly sounds gross.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

You Am I posted:

This man has the correct opinion on avocado. Even the texture of it is awful.

Either australia has labeled something else avocado or ya'll are broken.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Avocados are broken. loving gross snot.

Unfortuantly Australia has a big Avocado farming industry. Any variety you want, we have them. They should plow the whole loving lot of it back into the soil and grow something worthwhile. Like spiders.

How long have they been growing them? Avocado trees don't bear good fruit for years (all those stringy disgusing avocados).

Good avocados are like the best thing ever.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I am not certain there is a single native Californian who hates avocados. I didn't know hating them was even possible.
This is like hating kittens or something.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

It's a texture thing for me. I'm not a fan of the mushy texture. I'm not huge guacamole fan either but I'm coming around on that.

An avocado should be creamy, not mushy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

I like how there are only 202 people in the "I hate avocado" facebook group that CT just joined.

If you try hard enough, you can find people who agree with you about anything on the internet.

202 broken people.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

My local butcher does the meat for most of the better resturants in town and does thier own dry ageing.
You all just need a higher class of butcher I guess.

The periods of time I haven't lived here have been quite painful due to not having that. Even more than beef, pork really depends on sourcing. Commercial pork is absolute poo poo with no marbling at all. A good "heritage" pig just produces a much better chop.

If you butcher doesn't buy halves of cows and break them down, you need to find a real butcher.

Prime rib is a good thing to go to a resturant for because how many times a year can you justify making that at home?

nm fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 3, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

angryrobots posted:

We just added Kunekune pigs to our operation with two sows, one of which is bred. They say farrow to fork is seven months...how does AI feel about pasture raised pork bacon?

Look at that beauty

Nice. My aunt and uncle raise pigs in new england, but I'm too far away to make shipping from them worth it.
Good pig beats steak.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So I'm was onboarding with yet another delivery service. May as well keep a few in my pocket, right?

So they sent me the contract and asked that I "sign and return immediately". So I read it....

I have to pay for my own background check. Oh... kay. I've had to do that a couple of times with these companies, not a fan, but whatever, one of them panned out decently. I even had a staffing company try to make me pay for my own drug test once though, NOPE.
I have to submit to a drug test, and it can only be done at a facility of their choosing, AND I have to pay for it. :2bong:
Their car requirements are "model year 2000 or newer, with at least 4 seats, and working air conditioning". I'm good on that front, my car left the factory with a total of 4 seats (this would be parcel delivery anyway though, and my passenger seat is currently out of the car because of the loving dispatchers at Amazon).
Under that, "vehicle must have and maintain under 100,000 miles for the duration of our relationship". Wait, what? I have a friend with a 2009 with over 315k. My 2006 has almost 170k. Good loving luck there.
"This contract is valid for one week of our relationship" - there are no provisions for extension. Hahahhaha no.
"<company> does not provide any form of insurance, including liability or contents, including for client contents" AHAHAHAHA gently caress NO I'VE NEVER SEEN A DELIVERY COMPANY NOT PROVIDE AT LEAST INSURANCE ON WHAT I'M TRANSPORTING NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE
"Drivers must drive vehicles with no visible damage of any kind, interior or exterior" hahahahahhaaha oh god I drive a GM, any GM more than a couple of years old is shedding paint, and my carpet on the drivers side has holes worn from there my heels rest (while on the gas and while my left foot is looking for something to do)
"Drivers must submit current interior and exterior photos of their vehicles". Exterior photos I get. Interior? If I was expected to pick up people, I would expect that. But for packages? Who the gently caress cares what the inside of the car looks like so long as there's no roaches running around?
"Drivers must wear all black" wow that sounds like a uniform to me, which is a bit against the whole "independent contractor" bit. I can understand "dress professionally", but "dress in all black" is blurring the whole employee vs contractor bit.
"If items are damaged in transit, contractor must repay the cost of the item via payroll deduction, cash, or PayPal" wait paypal or cash wtf
Also they apparently only pay via paypal

The coupe de grace? Binding arbitration that you cannot opt out of.

I needed a good laugh.

I wanna know who. I'm guessing that uber delivery service?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

You want to do a lot of investigation into a condo before you buy it. A low fee can either be a sign of a good quality building with good management or a bunch of cheapasses differing maintenance. Nothing like getting a five figure assessment because they haven't touched the pipes ever and now the whole building has rotting from inside.

Old buildings full of old people are the worst for this. Fixed incomes plus not really worrying about 10 years from now isn't good.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

the spyder posted:

Who wants to convince me buying a rental property is a bad idea and instead, I should buy 10 acres in the middle of BFE.

You have to rent to human beings and human beings are, by and large, jack asses.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

HAHAH what? There is an actual place called Hicksville and not just shorthand for "One horse town in the middle of nowhere populated by inbreds"?

There is literally a town named cow town here. It is in spanish ("Vacaville"), but still.

It is a very far out suburb for San Francisco and Sacramento.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

fridge corn posted:

No, I'm a posho southerner. House has room for a drive or maybe even a small garage but the council would need to extend the road a bit first :mrgw:

I've been reading all your posts in a thick Yorkshire accent and now you're ruined it. With a posh accent, you just sound like a douche.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

InitialDave posted:

I thought I was the only forum regular who originated in Yorkshire. I really don't have the accent at all, though.

My grandfather and like half my extended family are from n yorkshire, so it is basicallyy default english accent.
My grandfather basically had no accent at all though because he lived in Uk, Canada, US, as well as being a foriegn service officer so his accemt was a musmash of everything that sounded neutral to everyone. It was kinda weird.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Doug was funnier befoee he made videos. His voice and the attempts not to laugh at his own jokes makes it even worse.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Speaking of knockoffs.
Lenovo has stopped selling batteries for my thinkpad. Any recommended aftermarket battery brands that won't kill me?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Curious what this means because if it's by numbers or consumer demand or any measurable metric then an 'SUV' is a commuter car for the suburbs that never sees off-road use.
Like hey I think Toyota Landcruisers are rad as hell but I'd certainly get the Lexus GX over a Landcruiser if given the choice .
The Lexus GX is a landcruiser prado with nicer seats.

scrubs season six posted:

The bad thing about Sac vs Reno is CA taxes vs NV taxes. And probably traffic. And worse weather (depending on your preference for hotter summers meaning warming winters, which personally I'll take the cooler summers and the colder winters).

But Sac is also a real city whereas Reno is Reno.

My sis lives in the Bay Area and I love the place but dislike paying 800,000 dollars for a share croppers shack and not being able to own a nice car because people are just going to run into it constantly and drive off.
I've decided that hot as gently caress summers>snow. gently caress snow. I had 8 years of that and I'll take my snow from a distance, particularly when it doesn't actually get cold enough to drive on lakes.
I also suspect you pay more in property tax in Nevada.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

scrubs season six posted:

I looked at a 2016 Landcruiser and was amazed that it wasn't roomier. Like the back seats with that big rear end LCD screen right in your face makes it seem like flying coach. They're not really significantly roomier than a 4Runner from what I can tell. I know they're tanks and will last forever but I expected them to be a little bigger on their inside based on how they look from the outside.

I can understand that viewpoint but it's not for me. I'd trade 4500' Reno climate for 5500' SW Colorado climate any day of the week. Part of that may be due to living in Alaska for 6 years though.

e: I only looked briefly but when someone said that housing in Sac wasn't bad I figured they were full of poo poo and looked and at least based on my brief inspection they actually seem slightly cheaper in Sac. Like I saw a couple houses where I thought "poo poo if I saw that at that price in Reno I'd buy it in a heartbeat." It's also possible those houses were in a neighborhood where someone gets murdered every 90 minutes though or something. Not sure about property taxes. In Reno a ~$420,000 house that's 2800 square feet on a 9000 square foot lot pays ~2500/yr in property tax.
See, Minnesota was enough winter for me. At least there i could drive on lakes.

Anything under $400,000 is either either tiny, in a place you will get stabbed, or miles out -- admittedly in Sacramento "miles out" isn't actually that far.
CA property taxes are hard to calculate, because the tax rate is based on the price you paid, not the current market value. The increase in value is a fixed at 2% per year, which is basically nothing. Oh and the assessed value passes through inheritance, so you can have multi-million dollar vacation homes paying taxes on an assessed value of $200,000 or less. (There's also many other fun loopholes to avoid re-assessment when sold). Basically, you'd pay the same for that $420,000 today, but 20 years from now, you'd be paying way less. P13 is one of the reasons that there has been so little turnover in come high demand property markets. If you are a middle income person in SF who bought a $300,000 house in 1990 that is now worth $2 million can either: hold it, pay taxes on $400,000 or something; or sell it, buy a smaller house in a worse location for $1,000,000, pay way more taxes. I guess they could also rent it out for $5000 per month while paying $2000/yr in tax.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mr-Spain posted:

This is crazy.

Prop 13 is fun. It is also why our income and sales taxes are so high and makes local governments extremely reliant on state funding for schools.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

scuz posted:

And everyone here will be happy to learn that Minnesota has successfully repealed the law which banned liquor sales on Sunday! Goes into effect July 2nd. We also have many go-kart tracks, diverse car-scene folks, and stupendous cheeseburgers.

Bad time to own a liquor store in Hudson.
Minneapolis is a loving amazing city. Pitty about the weather, but if I lived somewhere with winter, I'd move back there asap.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

InitialDave posted:

You're forgetting that I'm the guy with the (superior) Panda 4x4s.

They're not in murica so they can't be the best.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Edit: whatever

nm
Jan 28, 2008

beep-beep car is go posted:

What do you guys call the State Police?

I grew up in MA, and they've always been "Staties". My wife grew up in Upstate NY, and they've been "Troopers" and when we first started dating, she though it was weird that I called them Staties. Now I'm wondering what other nicknames people have for their state police.

Thankfully a TV show gave us a nationally recognized nickname for CHP.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

kastein posted:

Will you get in trouble if you put a big piece of chicken wire in the middle of the door connected to an electric fence transformer, so if someone cuts through again they get lit up? I figure that would give any return customers a bit of a wakeup call that they should look elsewhere.

This gets you in trouble in the us.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ummmm......... yeah I'm not so sure about that, especially the harm bit.

I beleive that this is in some ways legal in Aust with the proper warnings in place and built to regulations. Electric fences are also legal in a suburban situation as long as they built to local regulations.

As an aside, a good way to make sure a fence isnt live is use a straw of paspalum or whatever other stalk grass you might have and use that to touch the fence first. It'll tickle but a good deal less than the back of the hand method. Which is of course a HELL of a lot better than just grasping a live fence.

You can warn and probably be fine. Might depend on the state.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

D'ya like dags?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4N7G29GWQI

That nose dive was harsh but he didn't give a poo poo.

That's a pretty good dag.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Powershift posted:

It's depressing as all gently caress watching cops these days. it's all "we're pulling this guy over because he didn't signal when he changed lanes back there" and then they walk up to the window and go straight into asking where the drugs are."

TBF, every time it is a white dude, he clearly appears to have meth.
As a former criminal defense attorney, cops is my guilty pleasure. Yelling at the screen is cathartic. Also, one place I worked is a common cops location, so I look for people I know.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I believe they use sifferent chainrings.
Sram eagle is 1x12 and has a 50tooth rear cog. That is the almost the size of a compact double big ring.
This allows you to run a big rear end front ring and still go up hills.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Minneapolis is way colder, but it is a sunny cold. Michigan is cloudier, which is depressing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

Pros ride it, they have more power than you, it's not going to break. Unless you're nm.
Heh

That's a 10 speed.

Edit: well now it is an 8 speed with a hell of a shift in the middle.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

Some of the narrow-wide chainrings I hear wear out a little more quickly but for the most part it's not an issue. 11s cassette is wider so the gears and chains are only slightly thinner than 10 speed.

My 11 speed chains and cassettes last longer than my 10 speed. My broken cassette excepted (which was also 10 speed anyhow).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

IIRC, disabiling tpms is a strict no-no from the feds.

I would also be terrified of the liability. Any blow out related accident could easily result in some liability.

Intentionally not disclosing a safety defect (TPMS is a safety system) is like the biggest red flag ever.

So basically we have a federal offense, massive liability, and ethical issues. Time to start job hunting because how can you be sure they haven't disabled safety poo poo on the lifts?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Enourmo posted:

Mam I know I'm fat, but apparently "medically normal" weight for someone my 6'5" height is 150 to 200lb? I'm pretty sure I'd look like a stick figure at that weight.

Yeah, that's poo poo is loving bullshit. I don't think it scales well for height or anyone with any muscle mass.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

scuz posted:

The Golf used 4 quarts of full synth oil in 1,037 miles! A new record!

Did you motor swap for an ej257?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Preface: I am a dad to a girl almost five years old so I have directly and indirectly exposed to a lot of Disney princesses/movies etc. On Sunday we watched the new(ish) live action Cinderella which was a first for me as my wife did a mommy/daughter date when that one came out. It was really good and I think paid good respect to the original and the story. There was some great back story added that gave greater depth to the step mother (the "villain") as well as making the prince not seem like such a bore but a Cool Guy[upper]TM[/upper]. The actress that played Cinderella really sold the character and you could tell they genuinely were pretty stoked to be playing the part. Helena Bonham Carter was a treasure as well and in the ~5 minutes she was on the screen were laugh out loud hilarious.

Last night we took the kids to the new Beauty and the Beast movie and I was...whelmed. Not overwhelmed, or underwhelmed. Maybe it was because it relied so heavily on CGI? There was a lot about the movie that didn't impress me. As far as Disney princesses go Belle has been the best by far (although Moana is seriously kickass and possibly tied second to Rapunzel). Gaston is one of the best Disney villains of all time and the character just fell flat. There were a couple of shining moments where you were like YES! This is the douche we have grown to hatelove but there was not nearly enough of that. The dubbing for the parts of Emma Watson singing seemed slightly off and it was super distracting. There was a little back story on Beast, Belle's dad Maurice, and some other characters that helped the story a little. I just feel like this wasn't Emma Watson's best performance. Probably the brightest light of the movie was Kevin Kline playing Maurice. As a last note I cannot :lol: enough at people freaking out over LeFou and the "gay moment". The only thing LeFou was guilty of was being French and this is the observation of a Mormon dude living in Utah.

I know I am not the only dad in here who has given way more thought on the intricacies of Disney Princess worldbuilding. Am I off base? Is Belle actually not The Best?

The movie is about kiddnapping and the hero is the kiddnapper due to stockholm syndrom. The "bad guy" tries to bring someone who preys on women to justice. I'd be more worried about that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

My mom's HOA is a bunch of dicks. I went over to do an oil change in one of their cars and just as I was buttoning things up somebody showed up to tell me that all auto work has to be done in the garage with the door shut.

This is so if you drop the car on you, no one has to work to lift the car off you while you writhe in pain.
Much easier on the neighbors, much more dignity for you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

As far as I can tell it varies a lot by region and I have never been able to find a straight answer on actual legality, but at least here in California I just walk in and ask the attendant to turn on the air compressor. They haven't said no yet.
After having to do that three times in a row once refilling aired-down tires after offroading, I felt like an rear end in a top hat and installed onboard air.

In California, if you buy gas, they are legally required to provide air (and water). However, with pay at the pump, unless the dude has been watching like a hawk he doesn't really know if you bought gas.

Efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I tried using a spin bike for the last 3 months to do some intervals, and it makes me angry. Something about pedaling and going nowhere really fucks with me.

• Locked thread