Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

angryrobots posted:

We just added Kunekune pigs to our operation with two sows, one of which is bred. They say farrow to fork is seven months...how does AI feel about pasture raised pork bacon?

Look at that beauty

I tend to avoid mass-produced pork products due to how terrible conditions are in factory pork farms. If I could get humanely raised pork regularly where I am I'd eat more of it.

e:

Cage posted:

And PCOS Bill only now has his first ban? Surprising.

Its about drat time :golfclap:

Geoj fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Door Frame posted:

Because seriously, they don't know how insurance works, this will only make it MORE expensive

They know precisely how insurance works, they want to make insurance more expensive and then blame it on the affordable care act. The objective of bills like this is to break government regulation of private insurance. Then when government run health care comes up in the future the talking point will be "we tried that, remember what a disaster Obamacare was? It only got worse when we tried to fix it!"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ilkhan posted:

Because I'm sure even Indiana isn't *that* stupid.

You say that but you'd be wrong.

TL;DR Indianapolis police officer with a nearly .2 BAC plows into three stopped motorcyclists at highway speed, killing one and severely injuring the others. Responding officers took him to an emergency clinic instead of an actual hospital for his blood draw - arguably as part of a cover up as state evidence laws require DUI blood draws to be performed at an actual hospital. Officer evades conviction for the better part of three years, ends up with additional criminal charges while his case winds through the court system (including an additional DUI) and is currently likely going to be released early later this year, having served less than four years of a 16 year sentence.

Yeah, Indiana is *that* stupid. Odds are at least some of the cops beating up counter-protesters in Rhyno's story were themselves klansmen.

But what am I saying - don't you subscribe to the "the police can do whatever they like as long as they target people I disagree with and leave myself and like-minded people alone" mindset?

Geoj fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 9, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ilkhan posted:

I'm just looking at the recent history of anti-Trump protesters being aggressive and violent and provocative and saying *maybe* its not bad cops.

I'm sure this is what you'd be saying if we were talking about jack-booted thugs upstanding police officers attacking a group of peaceful open-carry advocates :jerkbag:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
RE: job chat, was laid off late last month from my lovely computer janitor job at a bottom-feeding call center. Not broken up about losing the job at all (actually if anything I'm better off now) but not having the steady paycheck sucks.

About a week or so before that I had interviewed for a systems engineer position at an IT consulting firm. They had claimed they were looking to make a decision by the end of the first week of March, so when that passed I assumed they had gone with another candidate. This morning I received an email asking if I was still interested and if so could I come in for a second interview next week.

Things are definitely looking up - historically I've never made it to a second interview and not gone on to get the job, and if I can secure a job that quickly I will only have a month of unemployment to gently caress with my taxes at the end of the year, I haven't even blown through all of my meager savings yet and I'm current on all of my bills. I had a serious moment the week after I was laid off of considering changing careers since its been nothing but 1.5 - 2 years between layoffs - laid off (technically my position was eliminated as redundant) from HP as part of their split in 2015 and now because my previous employer lost a health insurance contract worth something between 10-15% of their workforce. I really don't want to bounce from one job to the next every few years at the same pay level in perpetuity.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Plus.... who the gently caress would want to live in Detroit? Isnt it one of the shittiest places weatherwise?

All things being relative, not really. Its your typical midwest climate - upper teens/lower 20s (-10 to -5 C) for average lows during the winter, upper 80s to lower 90s (30 to 35 C) for average highs in the summer. Detroit is at the wrong end of the lake for lake effect snow in the winter (warm lake water relative to the air causes clouds that drop snow up to 30 miles inland) so aside from the occasional cold snap winter is more or less tolerable for people accustomed to living where it snows in the winter.

There are definitely bad, bad parts of Detroit I wouldn't want to be caught dead in but the whole city isn't some post-apocalyptic Mad Max hellhole - and that extends outside of downtown. My biggest worry about living in Detroit proper and not outlying suburbs is the longterm viability of the city government.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 17, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Are you getting that sweet, sweet unemployment check?

Yeah, last week was my first eligible week for benefits. Only pays about half of what I made but I see more of it because they're only withholding 10% for federal income taxes - no state/local taxes, Medicare or FICA withholding. Which will bite me in the rear end if I'm on unemployment for too long - I finally caught up with back taxes from being on unemployment for six months in 2012 with my 2015 return.

Ran the numbers and now that my wife has a somewhat decent job we only have about a $700/month hole in our monthly income.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 17, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I was unemployed for the first 6 months of 2016 so we'll see how badly I get screwed when I finally do my taxes this year :v:

In my case it was exacerbated by my wife not knowing what the gently caress when she filled out her W-4 and claiming two exemptions, and her employer at the time (a privately run animal shelter) having an extremely part time accountant who could never be bothered to change it for her.

When doing my taxes when she worked there it would always go from a decent sized return with just my W-2 to almost nothing or owing $100 or so once I input her W-2. Which was fine up until I had a major drop in income/income taxes paid and it flipped from owing $100 to owing about $1300 in back taxes and penalties.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Yeah, but if the scratches are all the way through the paint to the metal it'll turn into a rust bucket in short order.

Its one thing to shrug off purely cosmetic damage, but paint scratched through to the metal all over the car will trash it before he pays it off.

Might want to call your insurance and see if that kind of damage is covered under comprehensive.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 17, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

:aaaaa:

So yeah, he proved that HID & LED have higher output. Which isn't news.

Light output a foot or so in front of the headlight really doesn't matter, and either bulb in a halogen housing isn't going to work. You'll end up with a bright pool of light immediately in front of the car out to roughly 150', then it falls off sharply. At 60 MPH your car is covering the amount of effectively lit road ahead of you once every ~2 seconds, in addition to blinding everyone else on the road. And it reduces your ability to see in the dark because the immediate foreground of your vision is a pool of high intensity light.

What happens to the light is far more important than how powerful the light source is, and if your beam pattern is scattered all to hell because your headlight housing doesn't have the correct bulb that all of the other optics are literally designed and built around you're putting yourself and everyone else on the road at risk.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Basically its a self-guided tour of the various distilleries in the region. My uncle is really into bourbon and goes at least 2-3 times per year.

AFAIK there isn't an actual trail.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Wife surprised me tonight with tickets to a midnight showing of Black & Chrome (Fury Road in black and white) at a historic theater in Cleveland.

It's actually her favorite movie so I'm not sure if this was for me or her and she just forgot to tell me.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

This guy does a fair comparison of various technologies, mostly in projectors, but best of all, he puts an HID bulb in a halogen projector and shows exactly how horrible the pattern is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_aiA1cQsRs

Always wondered what it would sound like having a highway in your back yard...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Seminal Flu posted:

That came off as extremely elitist.

Did you watch the video? The amount of traffic noise makes it difficult to hear the narrator at times.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Job chat: nailed my second interview (interviewer told me at the end "you interview incredibly well"), had about a half hour of question/answer with my hypothetical coworkers followed by 20 minutes with management covering day to day work flow, company culture & benefits. It really felt more like an onboarding session than an interview. Apparently I'm one of three candidates they're considering, they emphasized that I'm a bit behind the curve as far as technical skills go but they like my personality & communications more and were very impressed with my desire to learn.

Spoke with a friend who works as a senior Linux admin and regularly does IT hiring for his company, he said in his opinion unless one of the other two candidates they're considering is a 100% match for the position I should sail into the job. In his words - "you're not a perfect match for the job but they're trying to find a reason to hire you anyways" and he assumed if the other candidates are better skilled they're probably going to ask for a higher salary than I am, so I'll undercut the competition.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

everdave posted:

Your CPU is fine (crazy how good old i5's still are).

Considering most advancements in CPU technology over the past five or so years has been in doing the same level of work with less power this really isn't surprising. My home system is based on an unlocked Zosma core Phenom II (six core die binned and sold as a four core processor, with the two disabled cores switched back on in BIOS) OC'd (stable) to 4 GHz. Combined with a Radeon 7970 it's still capable of running recent titles on high settings with acceptable framerates.

I'll admit it's a power hog compared with more recent hardware but it gets the job done and I don't have an extra $500 to blow on a new system board, processor and RAM at the moment.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Weight chat: 8 years as a field tech with an insane schedule, constantly driving, eating like poo poo as a result (most days I was lucky to have enough time to go through the drive through and grab a burger for lunch) and living in an apartment made me balloon out to nearly 300 pounds in the late 2000s. Moved out of the apartment and started hiking with our first dog, about a year after that the hikes turned into trail running. Currently I'm about 5'11" and around 220, I fit in 36" waist pants and large size shirts. Once the weather breaks (we just got 9" of snow dumped on us last week, now its in the mid-50s) and the ground dries up I'll start my running regimen again, also need to get back on free weights and maybe build my own power cage.

If I get the job I interviewed for today the first major purchase I'm making is a rowing machine...a friend has one and I let him "store" it in my basement for a few years because he lacked time and space for it. During that time I went a little crazy, doing a 5 mile loop with about 1000 feet of elevation change in less than an hour followed by a 30 minute rowing session and eventually bottomed out around 200. I got sick of the field tech job, stopped caring, got fired and resumed eating like poo poo as a result of severely reduced income and got back up to ~250 in 2012, then got a job at a corporate campus with an onsite gym and went back down to 200. Since I've been able to keep myself at or below the 220 mark but would eventually like to get back down to ~200 or maybe a hair lower. Last year I sat around until early August and didn't get a start on running until then, not making that mistake again.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I can't fathom drinking a sizeable percentage of your calories. I did low carb back in the early 2000s - I've always been a bit overweight but it was really bad between 2005-2008 - and dropped most sugary drinks then. I'll still have a bottle of cane sugar sweetened pop maybe once every other month when the mood strikes, but otherwise I haven't looked back.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

slothrop posted:

I have, in the past, brushed enough hair off Lydia to create a second Lydia. This is a 20+ kg dog.

My oldest dog is (we think) a German shorhair pointer/lab/sharpei mix. Defintiely GSP:

GSP's are pretty much shedding machines and she is almost constantly in a state of blowing her coat. We almost need to vacuum rugs and sweep our hardwood floors daily.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
lovely neighbor chat: when I was growing up some redneck on the other street on my block ran a tow company (or worked for one?) and at the height of his insanity his expansive yard (maybe 2.5 acres? It spanned the block) and a good portion of a neighboring property that wasn't even his was full of cars he had towed. For all intents and purposes he was running an unlicensed junkyard in a residential neighborhood, without anything more than a split rail fence blocking it from the rest of the neighborhood. One of his other ventures was a landscape company and it just so happened that he had a contract with the city school district, so when literally the rest of the neighborhood starting calling the city to complain they would respond "oh that can't be true, he's a really nice guy - he mows the lawns at the schools!" When my parents and a bunch of neighbors went to city council to complain they pretty much got the same treatment. They had to go to the county before anything was done about it, and even then they just ordered him to clean up his yard - no fines or any kind of punishment.

Prior to that, when I was in grade school in the late 80s/early 90s the same guy's shitheel kids would rip up and down the street on unlicensed dirt bikes at all hours, and despite numerous calls to the police little was ever done about it. A patrol car would come out with its lights running, they'd scatter, cops would leave and 15 minutes later they'd be right back at it again. I remember at one point it got so bad that the neighborhood took to calling the county sheriff because the local cops pretty much stopped showing up when these assholes were flying up and down the street at 2 in the morning.

I swear that guy must have had dirt on someone way up the chain or he knew someone who was a state senator or something because a few years after the junkyard fiasco he built a driveway letting out onto my parents' street without a permit and everyone on my parents' street were concerned because he started using it for all of his business ventures - towing cars at all hours and at one point was parking his landscaping trailer on the street in a "no parking" zone. Again, everyone went to city council who this time ordered him to stop towing cars and "storing them temporarily" in his yard but stopped short of making him rip up the driveway or even retroactively obtain permits, because at the time he claimed he was near retirement and would be moving out of the area within 5 years. This was in the late 90s, he still lives there to this day and his property continues to be a massive eyesore.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I've talked to them 4 times in that time, asking why the gently caress they're calling when my loan is current, especially when I've sent them a certified letter informing them I do not wish to receive phone calls (FDCPA applies to first party collectors in my state).

I was (up until last month) a computer janitor at a call center, FWIW the people you're talking to literally have no idea why they're calling you until they start talking to you. They don't even dial your number unless they're working for some shoestring outfit - they sit at a computer, their CRM application pops and they're connected with whoever and likely read prompts off an on-screen script.

You're likely getting called because the call center is run by a third party and Sally Mae hasn't notified their call center that your payment has posted. If this happens again ask to talk to a supervisor, and that supervisor's supervisor (and so on) until you get someone who can pull strings in their database and get you off the poo poo list. Otherwise they'll just keep calling until the client tells them to stop.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 23, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Previa_fun posted:

tl;dr: pay your bills but gently caress collections agencies.

This, had an auto loan that originated with one bank and then transferred to another when the first bank was bought out by the second.

When the new ownership took over they were draconian with their "reminder" calls - on the due date it wasn't uncommon to get upwards of 8 calls per day hounding me to submit a payment, and the further into the 14 day grace period between due date and late fees being assessed it would go the more frequent the calls would become. IIRC I once took upwards of 40 calls in one day. It was great when I paid the loan off a few days early - I'd usually just ignore their calls but on that day I answered and ripped into the call agent, asking if she was aware I had already submitted my payment three days ago and it paid off the loan? "No, we don't show that on our system. If you'd like I can take your payment over the phone...", all while I was looking at the zero balance for the loan in my online banking.

I verified with a branch later that day that the loan was indeed paid off, the banker apologized and mentioned that they fielded several complaints a day about the calls and were in the process of terminating their contract with that collection agency due to "questionable business practices."

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

And the call center reps I spoke with told me they worked directly for Sallie Mae.

This is call center BS 101. All the agents at the company I worked for were told to tell customers they worked "directly" for whatever client they were taking calls for too, and from what I gather it's fairly standard within the industry.

I'd be stunned if Sallie Mae runs their own call centers, it's always cheaper to outsource.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

I found a walmart gift card in my glovebox that had a $47 balance on it (i have no idea where it came from) so i went and picked up a Gold's Gym incline bench. Did a few basic workouts on it and I clearly need more than a simple bench so it's getting packed up and returned tomorrow. I have $150 in Amazon GCs from Christmas still so I'm gonna just buy a full bench set that has decent reviews.

If you or someone you know has a Costco membership they just rolled out a really nice bench with the summer seasonal stuff for $60, might be worth checking out.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
At my first job out of high school at a family owned business the "CIO" (in quotes because he was the owner's son and didn't know anything about tech, he just assumed the title) was massively incompetent and didn't want to spend money on virus software "because we just bought that software three years ago."

The company's network got infected with Klez like a week after that statement was made and they had to hire a consultant to unfuck their NT domain controller and exchange server. Ended up costing them about five times as much as the virus scanner would have cost just to pay for the consultant, to say nothing of lost business when all of the workstations and email stopped working for the better part of a week.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Mitel MiCollab.

The call center I was recently laid off from used a Mitel backend for a special snowflake client. Agreed, they should stick to what they know. The software we used was a massive piece of poo poo - clunky with terrible UI and it seemed like we had to restart its server every other day because of some glitch or another.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

I HAVE PEOPLE SKILLS

Remember: just because you can doesn't mean you have to.

People who willingly work in retail confuse the poo poo out of me.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

funny Star Wars parody posted:

The average American cannot afford a $400 emergency cost and has over $50k in consumer debt

The latter blows my mind. A friend of mine makes about $70k a year and his wife makes $55k, yet they have nearly $30,000 in credit card debt plus two cars they're making payments on and mostly live paycheck to paycheck.

Granted they have three kids (two in elementary school, the third started preschool last fall) but still I don't know how they manage to blow through $130,000 anually and still need to use credit cards.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Jesus tapdancing Christ.

Just took a call from one of my old bosses at the call center that laid me off last month, asking if I could come in to sign a noncompete they "forgot" to have me sign when I first started there in summer of 2015.

He seemed genuinely confused when I said no, and doubly so when I explained that I stand to gain nothing by doing so when he asked why I was being "difficult".

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I mean, how is "we just laid you off, and now you're unemployed but could you do us a solid and stop in and sign away your ability to seek work using your primary skill set" even a serious request?

This is what happens when you let department managers play HR instead of having a dedicated HR department.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 30, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Not in as many words, but that was th jist of it. I asked him if he'd go along with it if he were in my shoes and his response was "we're not asking you to sign away your ability to find work." Based on that I'm not even sure if he knows what "noncompete" means.

Absolutely no interest in returning to work there either, unless they'd be willing to add a zero to the end of my previous salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah it sounds to me like he has no clue what it actually means, and is more likely trying to cover his rear end for it not being done in the first place.

He started there last summer (should have read the writing on the wall at the time - I've never had a good job with multiple direct supervisors), I think it was his first supervisory position. According to a former coworker he was super butthurt because I didn't shake his hand on the day they laid me off and spent the day after bitching at length to anyone who would listen.

I don't think there was any error on their part, before I started I asked if they'd be willing to waive a 90 day waiting period for health insurance and they said no.

Just a poorly run, lovely business.

• Locked thread