Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

fridge corn posted:

i shave wirh a Gillette fusion blade that i change maybe once a year lol

I'm worse. I use an *shudder* electric razor. Rotary, of course. I also have a goatee, and not long ago, a full beard. I don't shave because:

(Seriously. those that have seen my FB know.)

So, yesterday, I get asked to meet with my boss's boss, because my boss is out of town.
I didn't really think anything was up, because there's a lot going on, but as it turns out, I have an HR complaint from someone in our host company. Not only that, but it's apparewntly my second complaint - they decided they didn't need to tell me about the first one whatever that was. Now the beauty of being a dirty worthless oursourcee is that apparently I don't get a chance to defend myself, or, so far, to even know what the complaint is. I've worked at this company, for three different companies, for 17 years, and this is what I get. All I've got is that it's something about my attitude, I think. Which, of course, just makes me want to scream at them "well, yeah, you outsourced me after 10 years of service then keep trying to treat me like a push-button replaceable cog!" (That they haven't managed to figure out how to replace *yet*.)
Good news - the actual company I work for has no intention of firing me. Boss boss emphasized that. Boss boss would rather not remove me from the contract right now as it is - we've already got another guy leaving that he has to replace. Another one like me, who originally worked for the host company, and made it to both oursourcers. Lot of tribal knowledge going with him, so good luck with that.

About time to leave anyway, I think. Familiarity is definitely building contempt, and it is painful working with a company that is transitioning from smaller company tribal knowledge to big company processes and knowledge-bases.
I'd love to work for a small to medium company, but I'm afraid I may need the benefits of a larger company if my wife's health issues don't get any better. Id rather not work for an outsourcer, but that may just be what's do-able.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, also - any of you nerds know anything about Promise VTRAK RAID arrays? I've got one being a oval office right now. Fortunately it's a backup, not production data.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

drat dude, that sucks. Time to spin up the resume shotgun I guess? One of my coworkers timed this sort of thing perfectly a few years ago, he got dragged into the VP's office to "have a discussion about his work enthusiasm" and took the wind completely out of the guys' sails by resigning on the spot since he had literally just accepted another job offer the day before and hadn't quite thought through what he was going to say while resigning.

That's really awesome.
I'm going to look, but I'm not fired. My outsourcing company will try to put me somewhere else, though it may mean I have to go back to supporting Windows crap.

I'm astounded that any company expects "work enthusiasm" when they're outsourcing left and right, and will lay you off at the drop of a hat stock point.
Really just an excuse to fire expensive people I'm sure.

Seminal Flu posted:

drat. I want more steak now.

Me, too, but it's Lent, Friday, and I'm (nominally) Catholic.
Guess I'll have to double up Saturday.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Admit it, you told them to do the needful, didn't you?

That's the hell of it - I don't know what I did, or to whom. Or, more accurately, which I did or they thought I did.
My users generally like me, so I'm betting it's another IT sperg.

edit: current host is a retail establishment, of luxury goods, so you can imagine how well they're doing right now anyway. At least they seem to have grasped the concept of online retailing, unlike Sears and JCP.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 3, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'd bet on it. Apparently they depend on dumb and/or illiterate people if that's the case, it's amazing they haven't gone out of business yet.

Someone I know drives for uber and got a brand new Camry through them, I have no idea what kind of ridiculous poo poo she had to sign, but I imagine her and her firstborn are owned now.

About what I was thinking. Either they're wondering why they can't hire anyone, or they don't have a surface because no one reads poo poo.
Run away from that "contract". Way too one-sided. Jesus.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

So, this Macchina looks pretty loving cool. Wonder if it could be used to replace / handle maintenance functions that you'd normally need an OEM tool (i.e. Chrysler DRB3) to do.

Oh, wow, thank you.
Looks like it could do that - just needs the reverse engineering, and tools built (not a trivial task, but much easier with an interface like this.)
I will definitely support that.

So, in job news, despite nothing being concrete yet, I have gotten several recruitment attempts for my own job.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Tired? Son you need to convert to the truth and the light that is the buckling spring. Might I suggest:

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/f77-model-f-keyboard/

Some crazy person ordered a new production run of Model Fs and I am desperately trying to figure out how I can mismanage my finances so I can get one.

What's so great about those?
Brand new Model Ms are only $100, and come in black or original off-white, PS2 or USB.
https://www.pckeyboard.com/

Got the "Classic" in USB 105-key for my mother-in-law for Christmas. She was an IBM employee back in the day, and expressed dislike of her current HP keyboard. She loved it.

KozmoNaut posted:

Holy poo poo

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1275/text

"H.R.1275 - World's Greatest Healthcare Plan of 2017" :stare:

And, once again, on behalf of Texas, I apologize. Why do we keep electing these twits?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Locator posted:

Pretty sure most of them would be a fine red paste before they would admit that.

redgubbinz posted:

My favorite was Chaffetz telling the country to choose between healthcare and a shiny new phone. In a sane country, that would net a politician a (metaphorical) guillotine, but I wonder how much healthcare $800 would buy you? Do they show you a picture of an ambulance and give you a tylenol?

$800 a MONTH, maybe, and how many people buy a new phone every month?

BraveUlysses posted:

It's also insane to assume that poors are buying 800 dollar phones instead of a used one.

from the shitlords who unironically brought you

Wow. Did they have a slide about how many had running water and indoor toilets, too?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Turns out the crown Vic has a tow rating? Probably swinging me right there. Sorry my plea for suggestions caused trouble. That said, I see no issue at all with the CR-V. Except I can't find one in my price range (that anybody will respond to :argh:)

I have a Class II hitch on my P71. Mostly haul a HF 4 x 8 trailer, and it does that beautifully.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Don't even look at a Trooper, they're nowhere near as reliable as anything else you listed. You know the CRV decently (and a 2000 will still be the B20 you're used to), the LS400 is a tank.

On the Crown Vic, look for weeping coolant around the thermostat housing, and check the ECU for lean codes (and if possible, look at the fuel trims). I don't know if they'd fixed the intake manifold issues by then, but the intake is prone to cracking on the mod motors. When it cracks you get coolant seepage and start getting lean codes (and some crazy fuel trims). Dorman makes a good replacement manifold that addresses all of those issues.

Personally, I'd probably go for the Vic, simply because the domestic depreciation curve means you get a much newer car for the same money. And if you're looking at former law enforcement cars, if you can find out the history, a detective or highway patrol car will be the best bet.

I think by 2008 all of the CVs had the aluminum coolant crossover. If not, steal an intake from a P71.

The Door Frame posted:

Their gross capacity rating is poo poo, so renting trailers is harder, according to my friend with a P71
She also says to make sure that it's wheels aren't late model cop wheels, because they're a bitch to find cheap tires for. Other than gas mileage, she LOVES that barge

Um, the "cop" wheels are the same as the civvie wheels, as far as I know. Just no full wheel covers. They do com in 16" and 17", but I believe a 2008 will have the 17"
That said, I didn't try to get tires for my 16" steelies, and it had larger-than-stock tires on it already. I put 18x8 Mustang wheels on mine, and a tire calculated to be within 2% of stock, because calibrated speedo.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Picked one. No rear seat, gotta fix that. And it stumbles with the AC and headlights on. But the price was right.

Same paint problem I have, only worse. And you got the 17" wheels! I like those better.
I imagine you know this, but any rear seat from CV, Grand Marquis, and even Town car will fit. Mine has a Grand Marquis rear seat and carpet (over the original rubber mat.) Still using the cop buckets. There's a WalMart minivan console that fits perfectly between the seats, BTW.

edit: go post in the Panther thread. One of us!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

She said it had 235/55R17's, which sound really thinskinny to me, but I'm too lazy to actually check. She talked to a taxi company that was phasing out their old Vics, looking for a cheap tire/wheel to replace her old one, but they only had 16" wheels. It's apparently cops and whatever "heavy duty" means in this context:

235/55-17 is the stock size for 17"
225/60-16 is stock for 16"

Both of those are civilian or service models.
2008 service model only got the 17s. Civilian could have either.

Mine had 235/60-16s on it, and they looked too big for the wheels. They're only 7" wide. The 225/60-16 on the OEM full sized spare looks fine.
I agree that they're too skinny, but they are right for the wheel width. Part of the reason I went up to 18x8. Looks like I could go to 10" at least in the rear, easily.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Garage theft chat: yeah, it sucks. In my case, I think it was someone associated with a (now former) housemate. The didn't break anything, so they had access to the garage, and they only took stuff that was under shelves and counters, not the obvious stuff on the pegboard or on top of my workbenches. So I lost my circular saw, jigsaw, and reciprocating saw (Milwaukee that used to belong to my late uncle, drat it), a transmission jack, my second full socket set for taking to the junkyard and roadside/friend repairs, and other stuff that was generally stored out of sight. Meaning they also had time to rummage around. I think the total came out to around $1500, so not as bad as it could have been. I've replaced it all - this was several years ago. I'm sure it all ended up in a pawn shop, but they apparently had enough sense to not use one close by. I checked.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I'm tempted by the "Kare" systems on Amazon. Other than a certain amount of "these instructions are definitely from China", reviews seem good.

I really like CTEK ones

I have a CTEK, and it's done a fine job so far. I like the interchangeable ends. Handy for attaching a set of ring terminal leads to your bike battery, for example. I mainly got it for the reconditioning and float features.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

So, my wife is taking a photography course as an elective at college, and has decided she'd like a nice camera. She's using the school's Canon EOS Rebel, T5, I think, may be T4.
She's looking at various kits and deals online.

I know you guys have answered before, but I didn't pay attention, because I had no clue she was going to get the bug. Good, reasonably cheap starter DSLR, and recommended lenses. I know there was a fairly cheap long lense you guys favored, as I recall.
She seems to like the Rebel and has been focusing (heh) on it.

Any great deals out there? Anyone got a good used one they want to offload?
Wanting a camera actually got her starting the taxes this morning...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Thanks all for the DSLR info and suggestions. I'll have to talk with her about what she really wants.
I've got a couple pricy-ish toys - I guess she can have one, since we can't afford a bassoon for her to play (yet).

BraveUlysses posted:

i've got an older minolta 5D dslr i've been meaning to sell, comes with one or two lenses and i'll let it go cheap.

Hmm. How does that compare? I can see it's 10 years old or so. I glanced at some specs and reviews, but only briefly at the moment. How is lense availability/compatibility. I know some of you prefer the motor to be in the lense or on the body for AF - I forget which was deemed to be more desireable vs. price.
What's "cheap"? I'm all kinds of new to world of real cameras, and my wallet is puckering already.
Cheap enough and I may play with it myself, I suppose. A quick glance art eBay has prices all over the place.

Regarding Canon 40D, 50D, etc. I'll ask and see what she thinks. Can those still go full auto for talentless hacks like me?
Not sure how she feels about used, since all but the 70D and 80D are too old to be sold new.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

You can't really go wrong with Canon or Nikon. But one thing to be wary of with Nikon - their lower end bodies don't have the focus motor in the body. And their AF series lenses... don't have a focus motor in the lens, they rely on the focus motor in the body (so they're essentially manual focus on a body that doesn't have the motor). If she goes Nikon and winds up with a D5xxx or lower, she'd need an AF-S lens (which does have the focus motor) if she wants autofocus to be a thing. That's one thing you don't have to worry about with Canon

Ah, that's probably what I was trying to remember regarding the AF motors.

quote:

I have a D5100 myself, and the only lens I ever use is a 35mm f/1.8. Think I paid $100 for the lens and $350 for the body (both used, both years ago - the 5100 is as low as $200 now depending where you look, and it's still a solid entry level body if you can make do with only 16.2 MP). I think the current version is the D5500? It still has manual controls for everything, or you can just go newb and leave everything in auto. ISO 6400 on mine is still pretty clear, and with this lens, fast enough that I can often shoot handheld at night. What's kinda nice about the 5100 in particular is it has a flip out LCD, so if you're trying to shoot something while holding the camera way up in the air, you can turn on live preview mode and aim the LCD down. I don't know how long they kept that feature - 5200 has it, don't know about others, but I think it was exclusive to the 5xxx series.

keh.com is an excellent place for used camera gear.

also, what totalnewbie said about Canon stuff. The Rebel line is a good beginner's camera, but I'd compare it to Nikon's D3xxxx line.

I have a kit lens from another body, but haven't touched it more than a couple of times (come to think of it, I haven't seen it since I moved). For #2, the 50mm 1.8 is probably the most popular option for Canon and Nikon. It's sharp as hell, fast, and cheap. I personally prefer the 35mm 1.8 I have now, more because I don't have to step back as far. It's about as sharp as the 50mm I had before, and a 35mm AF-S was cheaper [locally, on Craigslist] than a 50mm AF-S when I switched to my D5100 (which lacks the autofocus motor.. AF-S puts a motor in the lens - I used a 50mm AF when I used my D70S).

I never got around to getting a telephoto.

My own opinion is a prime lens forces you to put a bit more thought into composing your image. Granted, with the 20+ megapixel cameras out there now, you can always just crop if you wind up too far back, but you still have to position yourself to frame the shot, instead of just zooming in or out. They also tend to be very sharp, and relatively cheap.

Thanks, I'll check out keh.com

It honestly comes down to how much you're willing to spend, start with a budget and go from there.

Yeah. Basically, I'm trying to figure out what the price of entry is and then go from there. I'm just learning what a decent camera goes for.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I have a Canon T3i that's still good enough for my casual photography needs, so I'd recommend looking for a used one of those or a t4i/t5i. It'll do everything until you decide that you want to move up to a full-frame sensor and that's going to be $$$$$ no matter what brand you get.

Cool. I'm not sure how serious she's going to be. So far the Rebel doesn't seem to be annoying her.
Will be nice having a decent camera handy. All I've ever had was point and shoot, and my phone.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CharlesM posted:

I have a Kiss Digital N / Digital Rebel XT / 350D Hehe.

Yeah, I saw on Wikipedia where the (US) Rebel series has much different and/or cuter names elsewhere.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Beverly Cleavage posted:

(Camera chat cont).

Picked up a t5i when my oldest was born (4 years ago). Nice camera. The bundle you can buy pretty much anywhere comes with great lenses. Arguably, the 18-55 is one of the better all-around use lenses you can get. If you want a cheap cheap cheap prime, nifty-fifty is nice. However, I've found it's a bit too big for in-doors type kid photography in normal/tight spaces on a crop sensor. Just picked up a Sigma 30mm 1.4 and it is great..but that's the first real step into $$$ lenses I've done.

A+ would buy all of this again. The T5i does everything my lovely skill asks of it and is easy enough to change the settings in full manual mode.

She's been looking at bundles for the T5 and T6 - basically the three lenses mentioned The Door Frame, tripod, memory card, etc. She really likes the school's T5 and we've confirmed that the T6 will go full manual if it's just not smart enough on auto.
Probably going to go with a T6 refurb (with warranty) bundle direct from Canon. I figure if she needs to move up, I can always use it, or sell it. I'd probably be happy with a used 50D or so, but she wants a warranty, at least.

Again, thanks for all the guidance. You guys are as helpful with this camera poo poo as cars. Is that a compliment? Only you know for sure.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

ya true, it is kind of big

I thought the 6+/6S+ would be too big, but I borrowed a friends. It fit in my pockets, so, good to go. I'm old and need bifocals, so I appreciate the larger real estate, especially when it's in the dash mount (so I can actually read the map!)

i think what we're all saying here is "kill all boomers except maybe our parents"

*maybe*
Mine voted for the orange rear end in a top hat. Pisses me off mightily.

Safety Dance posted:

As bad as forums are, wikis manage to be stunningly worse without a ton of upkeep.

THIS

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

scrubs season six posted:

Get her a Pentax K1000 and tell her that any good photography class includes developing and printing your own pictures.

Her Grandad was a semi-pro photographer. He had his own darkroom. It was really annoying disposing of the chemicals after he passed. I still have a couple of large format cameras hanging around from his estate, including a Graphlex with a light saber.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slothrop posted:

well I hate to interrupt weather chat, but I've got A SONG RECCOMENDATRON

This particular track has been on rotation in my wider playlist for a month or two now. Initially I never paid it no mind.

I'd be driving along, minding my own business. See the strange thing is, you hear it start, nothing to think about.

Keep driving. Song continues, driving continues.

Somehow, about four and a half minutes later the volume on your car stereo is cranked as loud as it will go without distorting and you have no idea how that happened.

Anywho, enjoy,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSfBRdYlXqU

Nice. That is entirely in my wheelhouse.

Biodome posted:

I would be pissed but once I got over it it would be so less stressful to not have to worry about dinging my car anymore because it's already hosed up. Still sucks, though. Sorry.

Maybe you work that way, but I would just get ticked every. time. I. looked. at. it. (imagine clenched teeth.)

everdave posted:

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/tbkRukp

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/8UidOFm

Pic links, not sure how to embed in posting from phone

Ouch. A few years old, eh, but 3 weeks? This is why we can't have nice things.

edit: Toundra's other stuff is in the same vein, apparently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwXZ3kZGq3A

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Forgot to mention: yesterday, I had a phone interview for a position, since my hot company still seems to want me out for whatever reason (I'm doing Knowledge Transfer with another guy already), and frankly, I'm done with working for an outsourcer or any kind of contracting. That one was the one with the company's recruiter, and seemed fine. Basic stuff, making sure that I was who I said I was, etc. Second technical one was supposed to be today, set up by the recruiter, but the guy never called. I hope it's just a miscommunication, but it really took the wind out of my sails that I delayed lunch, scheduled time to be out of the building (for privacy and to not be doing that poo poo on current company's time/space) and got nothing out of it. I really want out of here. 17 years is enough, and luxury retail is going nowhere. In fact, the host company is about to be sold to yet another investment group (which will probably tell you exactly who it is.)
I'm going to go home and drink while playing Minecraft. It's almost Zen.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seminal Flu posted:

Tough one. A detailer can get 90% of those out. A wax made for black cars will make the rest of the scratches mostly disappear. It's bad, but the good thing is that "black waxes" are perfect to hide the damage.

Edit: on that note, if you have a medium-colored car that has a nasty white-showing scratch that stands out, a "black wax" will hide the scratch really well. The white just seems to jump out at you, but getting a darker color hides well. I tried that on my beater Avalon that has a number of bad scratches, and it made a really stunning difference.

In this respect, I'm kind of glad for the defective Ford white on my P71, where there are patches of paint just *missing*.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Okay I thought I was crazy for this on mine but now that I know it's standard I'll live with it.

Huge swaths just gone.

Yeah, Fords white those years was absolute crap. Seems like every white cop car has bits missing. Mines not as bad as yours, but still there. Or not, as the case may be.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Get out quick, friend

They're getting demolished by Amazon and other online retailers and the store is almost always empty

Eh, I work for the outsourcer, not the retailer. If they go under, we just go ruin work for someone else.

Look forward to good data.

Yeah, the halogens in my P71 kind of suck, even with new housings. Interested in the LED conversion, if they don't blow goats.
May take them apart and put in projectors.

This guy does a fair comparison of various technologies, mostly in projectors, but best of all, he puts an HID bulb in a halogen projector and shows exactly how horrible the pattern is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_aiA1cQsRs

LED replacement bulbs end up about the same or worse, depending on housing. He doesn't do LED/HID in a non-projector, though.
He's just got loose bulbs and housings in the back yard, but it's a good seat of the pants comparison.

Driving stick: Dad taught me a little in a dune buggy when I was like 12. He taught me the concept of getting it rolling in first, which was the trickiest bit. Practiced a bit in middle school in a Datsun pickup belonging to a friends sister, in their back yard, but still never got out of first or reverse. Was gifted my uncle's Fiat 128 sedan just in time for high school/learner's permit. Taught myself how to shift, discovering that that part was way easier than getting started. We lived in the country, with 13 acres, so I could drive the thing around on the property, and on the gravel road and get the hang of it before menacing the mundanes.

I found a switch in my new-to-me 08 p71 by the OBD port that disables the entire dashboard, warning lights, chimes, and brake lights. Also, no TPMS light or OBD codes at all :smug:

I also found fired .40 S&W and .556 cases all over the car :stare:

That's for rolling up on perps and/or stakeouts with the engine running, but no lights to give it away. There's also a plug or setting to disable the dome light. You can also switch the trunk button from ignition or constant power. Both connectors are there behind the panel. And the rear power windows can be disabled by unplugging the connector in the B-pillar. Look online - there's a Ford Police Vehicles supplement to the owner's manual, and the wiring diagrams have P71-specific pages for all the extra power and signal wiring in the car. My fav is the 30-amp 12V feed in the trunk. Made wiring my amp easy. There's a ground feed straight back to the battery ground, too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I found the supplement, but must have glossed over the trunk button wiring. This is amazing and a godsend. I was hating having to put the key in to pop the trunk.

While cleaning I also found the tremco box and fixed that up. Keeps you from moving it out of park unless you hit a secret blood pressure cuff-like button under the left floor panel. I think it's an okay anti-theft feature.

I also discovered the passenger-airbag disable box under the passenger kick panel, complete with key.

Unfortunately they just cut out all of the emergency gear with a rusty knife and pulled all the fuses for that. Did discover I can put my meter in one of the cut off wires and pop a test fuse in the slots until that wire gets 12V, though.

Fortunately, mine appears to have had very little equipment, if any, installed. There's one hole in the roof, and it had strobes in the tail and side marker lights, but either they used the factory connectors for everything else, or it wasn't there, which I'm thankful for. No extra holes in the dash. I finally did find the holes in the floor for the divider, but again, they did a clean job with both the install and removal.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I thought Ford had been doing this for awhile? Or was it just on their trucks?

Stepdad's 2001 F-150 has an airbag disable keyswitch on the dash, you just use the regular key in it.

Typically the keyswitch is only on 2-seaters (trucks with only jump seats count, since you can - or shouldn't, at least - put a car seat in one of those.)
My CV disables it automatically if there isn't enough weight in the passenger seat.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

So, hey, remember that thing where the host company for my outsourcing employer doesn't like me any more?
Just found out today my last day here is 3/31, when the new guy showed up for knowledge transfer.

gently caress the host company and their prissy little thin-skinned users forever. 17 loving years and one little poo poo who has the ear of the VP IS fucks everything up. Congrats, enjoy the new guy who doesn't know you, or care. Also, gently caress the rear end in a top hat douchbag VP IS who a) thinks that anyone who was one of the "old guard" needs to go, and b) listens to user whining. you want kid gloves, or someone who knows what they're doing?
Just when I'd finally gotten a decent salary, too. My company will try to find me another gig, but for some reason, I'm not optimistic.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Our property has 7 fully-grown live oaks, nothing is as bad as those pollen strings which are currently raining down at the moment. Our neighbors have live oaks too so everyone is in on the dusty party!

My neighborhood has a lot of oaks, including a big one on my lot. Pollen strings clogging everything, and my white Crown Vic has been yellow for a week or two.
Also lost a big limb out of the aforementioned oak the other night due to to some strong winds. Get to saw that up this weekend, along with all the other stuff planned. At least I mowed last weekend. And edged, after I cursed at the gas string trimmer for a half-hour for not starting (my fault - I bungled switching the choke and flooded it). Lawn mower started on the first pull of the season.

Edit: guess I'll have a little time to do stuff after next week, if my company doesn't find me another contract quickly.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 25, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I am currently at Brain Candy Live, with Adam Savage and Michael Stevens. This is fun. Favs so far: the vacuum ping pong cannon that holed a ping pong paddle, and the 3-foot smoke ring that made it to the upper balcony. That was big vortex cannon.
Tried to convince my daughter to come, but she didn't want to. Too bad, she would have loved it.

Edit: we're in an intermission. I'm not texting while they're on stage.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

That's a shame, I kind of like some of the stuff velocity does.

Sure, there's a lot of worthless GUYS WE GOTTA GET THIS BUILD DONE BEFORE THE BIG AUCTION, THRASH THRASH THRASH reality TV horseshit. But there's usually at least one or two shows worth watching every day.

I don't particularly like Mike's style, but death threats, really?
Velocity seems to have missed that the detailed bits with Ed were what set the show apart. He was why I watched., anyway. There's no shortage of the drama car shows, and I hate them. I'm interested in the technical bits. I'm the guy who will marathon "How It's Made", and other shows like that before I'll watch a sitcom.

Edit: ^^^^^ that's a thing of beauty there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I used to love retail, much for the reason that CPP pointed out. But dealing with people in general just pisses me off now, and the older I get, the harder it gets to just smile and nod instead of telling them to gently caress off.

e: diagnosed with ADD around 8 years old, diagnosed with anxiety and sadbrains in my mid 20s
e2: ooh something shiny

This, except IT support. After the third time this week of you not being able to print because you didn't turn the printer on...
I'm not diagnosed, but I suspect mild ADHD, and/or mild autism spectrum (hello? goon). Neither bad enough to go on meds at present, so I've not bothered to get a diagnosis. poo poo didn't exist when I was a kid - they just worked around it, or you were a problem child. I got lucky with good teachers, I think.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cop Porn Popper posted:

^^^
Dude, its springtime in dfw. Just assume you'll be killed by a tornado or stoned to death by hail stones and sleep through it. Its why I did. :colbert:

I slept through it all. Woke up and looked at the tornado warning on the phone from 2AM and shrugged.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Just ignore the tornado warning. What's the worst that could happen? You land in the next county over, crush an old lady and become lord of the midgets?

Yeah, I'm kind of like "so?" I don't have a basement, and literally no interior rooms in my house. Best I can do is the middle hallway, or maybe the closet therein, if it wasn't stuffed completely full of poo poo. Even then, no way all three of my family are going to fit at the same time. Bring it on, tornado. I will ride the wind to glory.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

scuz posted:

There's a weird feeling that comes over me at those points, and I expect it's the same feeling I would have if I were standing on a cliff with someone trying to push me over: I do not want to do <thing> and nothing in the world is going to make me. It's infuriating.

I get that. That's definitely me, and my daughter (who is officially diagnosed with autism spectrum, near Asperger's.) If we don't want to do it, we won't, pretty much period, even if it's the easiest thing in the world. Later, I will look back and wonder why I didn't want to do that thing. My daughter is currently failing 9th grande, because she refuses to do the work, take tests, etc. Her psychologist says that we basically need to let her fail, of her own doing, to learn what it means, really. I know I can't convince her to do stuff. She just looks at me like I'm barely there, and I just get more angry. which helps nothing. My wife has to handle her. I don't know how to talk to her, largely because we're too much alike in that respect. And some of it is just "teenager". Best we can do is point her in the right direction as much as possible.

I (telephone) interviewed for an IT job at a company that turned out to be one of these. The guy let out a spiel about sub-prime auto lending without any prompting from me, that sounded very defensive. I didn't know what the hell it was until I looked them up afterward (job listing did not include a business name.) g;ad I wasn't what they were looking for. I'd feel so dirty. Bad enough when my wife was an administrative assistant at a "cash store" paycheck lending business.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Do most people have savings real savings accounts? Because that feels like most people view savings as "other checking"

Most people? No, I don't think so. It's not like the banks are encouraging anything with the dismal savings rates.
I have a small savings account, two IRAs from previous 401(k)s, and two 401(k)s. I need to move the 401(k) from my previous job into an IRA. It's still not enough, but may be by the time I retire - optimistically in 18 years.

edit: I've got about 3K left on my student loan from 17 years ago, but my wife is about to graduate after racking up new loans. Consumer credit is OK-ish at about $4K credit cards, and a mortgage with 75K left. No car payment.
Of course, I just lost my current contract, so I'm out of job unless my company finds me something else to do. It'll be a while before my wife can make use of her fancy Bachelor of Paralegal Studies.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 29, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

loving hell, rdb. You're right, there are no words.
And here I was going to bitch about how the last week at a job that you're being forced out of, and forced to train your replacement sucks.

Ferremit posted:

Jesus christ rbd thats rough.

This was work today.

They're Pine cones. They can weigh up to 18kg (40lb) and they grow at the top of a 30-45m tree, and then drop without any warning.

Australia: Where even the pine trees want to kill you.

Jesus Christ. Pinecones are like maybe 6-7" when they're huge, here (Texas, where everything is bigger! So much for that...)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Geoj posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

Just took a call from one of my old bosses at the call center that laid me off last month, asking if I could come in to sign a noncompete they "forgot" to have me sign when I first started there in summer of 2015.

He seemed genuinely confused when I said no, and doubly so when I explained that I stand to gain nothing by doing so when he asked why I was being "difficult".

Yeah, gently caress that. You owe them nothing, and it's their mistake.
I mean, how could you seriously be surprised at a negative response to a question like that? It's literally a case of "you're not the boss of me."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

How did you even get any words out, I would have been too busy laughing :v:

Oh, God, so much this. And it would have been so very cathartic.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

VICTORY!

Found another 06. Pedal wasn't like new, but it's a lot better.

Plastic assembly. Pushrod eats through the pedal. Now that I have a replacement, I can reinforce that spot a bit before I install it.

Phone posting, but once I get home I can snap a few pics to better describe the lovely design.

Ooh-rah! You may even be able to fix the old on by drilling across and inserting a steel pin or something, depending on the exact design. I'd offer tools and poo poo, but I'm in the mid cities, as you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

SATURN IS A loving GO-GO

(loving finally)
(mostly anyway... I'll finish putting the interior back together tomorrow, I'm loving DONE with this godawful piece of poo poo for tonight)

I never, ever want to do that job again. It doesn't help that the internet is full of "oh you don't have to remove the steering column, just unbolt it and let it hang and work the pedal out around it. NO, loving REMOVE THE COLUMN, I WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE HOURS AGO HAD I DONE THAT TO BEGIN WITH.

Now I just have to re-learn how to use a loving clutch. The slip point has been "through the firewall" for so long that I'm having a lot of trouble driving it - and i'm going to guess that the clutch is pretty close to well done based on where the slip point is now. Seems like I got the steering wheel pretty well centered too, it seemed dead on when I took it down the road and back.

Never... again... if I have to do this job again, it will involve a bonfire.

e: remember the pic I posted earlier showing the ball socket on the replacement pedal?

This is the original:

I don't think there's supposed to be a hole there.

No, what should be there is a cast in piece of metal to reinforce that spot. Any decent mechanical engineer would know that spot will fatigue, but they were probably overruled by the bean counters. I'll have to ask my brother in law about his Cobalt's clutch.

Regarding the Nextdoor app, I joined up just for the neighborhood for sale and wanted notices. Also good for lost pets. I have seen very little bitching about neighbors on ours. Been handy for road closures and construction that's been happening lately.

• Locked thread