Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Not done to anywhere near the proper temperature.

:sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

slothrop posted:

That was my first attempt a the deep fried sear so it did end up a little overdone

It's supposed to be so well done that it "rocks on the plate" you philistine.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I got so good over the years at grilling the perfect steak that going to a steak house is a complete waste of money to me now. I can't remember the last time I went out for steak :smug:

It's a good reason to never go to a mediocre (or even good) steakhouse but I think there's still a point to going to real top end steakhouses. Namely ultra high quality meat that isn't easily located, plus the stuff they serve besides the steak.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I think I'm buying a big dumb stupidly expensive (non-Raptor) F-150, because I am big, dumb, and stupidly.

I kind of fell in love with a Limited and at around 15 grand less than what I could get a (less optioned) Raptor for, I think I'm gonna get it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SCA Enthusiast posted:

This makes me think of the first cars I remember.

My dad's Isuzu trooper was awesome, silver with tan interior. I remember running out of gas because the fuel gauge didn't work, and also I remember the muffler falling off. Oh also I remember Dad trying to push start it one time with a friend of his.

I think I remember all the cars my parents ever had, mostly because I think they had the same ones from when I was 0-4ish. Oldest I remember were a blue VW Beetle, a pile of poo poo brown Chevy Citation, and a little red rotary Mazda wagon. Then a blue Mazda B2000, brown VW Vanagon, and blue Toyota Tercel. That takes me up to about the age of 12.

Pops had a 6 cylinder Alfa Romeo spider but got rid of it before I was born.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Because it's like a redneck Maybach.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

buy the raptor

it's super worth it (because it looks rad as hell)

Finally seeing a 2017 in person is actually what pushed me a bit towards a regular F-150. They're definitely rad looking but not enough over a regular F-150 (with a lift and 35s) to justify the 20k price difference.

I've gone back and forth a half dozen times but what seems to have stopped me from doing that was actually doing the math on payments and the difference between getting a 65k dollar truck for 10 grand under window vs getting a 65k dollar truck for 5k over window.

The Raptor will definitely hold its value better but a big chunk of that is the fact that you pay out the rear end for one to begin with. And they're not really fast. A Raptor does the 1/4 around 14.1 and a regular F-150 like 14.7. And I have a 550 horsepower Mustang for fast. :getin:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ilkhan posted:

people figure out that the V6EB is a damned good engine,

I drove a 2016 (which IIRC is down 10 hp and 50 lb/ft vs the second gen 3.5), plus only has the 6 speed vs the 10 speed (and I've seen many rave reviews on the 10 speed).

And I was surprised/impressed. I obviously can't personally speak to longevity/durability but as far as driving it, it's a hell of a motor.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Somewhat Heroic posted:

scrubs, are you going to move to Salt Lake?

For a while it looked like somewhere between 25% and 50% chance we were going to move to SLC, but more recent developments (i.e. a different job offer) have dropped it to probably 10% at best. I'd actually say 5%, at this point. Probably not gonna happen, which is both good and bad. I do love farting around in the Wasatch-Uintahs and the proximity to Moab and my pops in Colorado would be nice, and living in/near a pretty large metro area.. But I also like Reno and Tahoe and farting around in the Sierras and the proximity to the Bay Area, so...

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just smash those idiots with a cricket bat until they get the idea that maybe, just maybe, Universal Healthcare isnt communist but an actual thing a proper First World country does?

We'll get universal healthcare soon enough. Right now the lower middle class and middle class hate the idea because it means lazy poors will get coverage for free/cheaper than them, but as the middle class continues to get destroyed more and more people will move into the poors category and then we'll get universal healthcare and/or full on class war.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ilkhan posted:

I like sac. We have Tahoe, Reno, and SF within easy driving distance, not much we don't have access to. Now if only we had sane politics...

The bad thing about Sac vs Reno is CA taxes vs NV taxes. And probably traffic. And worse weather (depending on your preference for hotter summers meaning warming winters, which personally I'll take the cooler summers and the colder winters).

But Sac is also a real city whereas Reno is Reno.

My sis lives in the Bay Area and I love the place but dislike paying 800,000 dollars for a share croppers shack and not being able to own a nice car because people are just going to run into it constantly and drive off.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

lol if you think the upcoming class war will result in solidarity between working and poor classes.

It won't be solidarity, it'll just be literally everyone below the upper middle class being effectively poor. The working poor will still hate the non working poor.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 9, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is there an AI thread that is effectively "generic truck" or "generic 4x4" talk"?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cursedshitbox posted:

Don't buy nice cars and live here...

Yeah that's what I'm saying. I can't not have at least one nice car.

quote:

lol @ housing costs too. its insane.

My BA niece and nephew asked their mom if I was rich because of my house. She told them something like "No, he's not really rich, just doing pretty well."

I asked her why she didn't tell them the truth, that the house they lived in was worth 3x what mine is and the difference is living in Reno vs living in Berkeley.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

nm posted:

The Lexus GX is a landcruiser prado with nicer seats.

I looked at a 2016 Landcruiser and was amazed that it wasn't roomier. Like the back seats with that big rear end LCD screen right in your face makes it seem like flying coach. They're not really significantly roomier than a 4Runner from what I can tell. I know they're tanks and will last forever but I expected them to be a little bigger on their inside based on how they look from the outside.

quote:

I've decided that hot as gently caress summers>snow. gently caress snow. I had 8 years of that and I'll take my snow from a distance, particularly when it doesn't actually get cold enough to drive on lakes.
I also suspect you pay more in property tax in Nevada.

I can understand that viewpoint but it's not for me. I'd trade 4500' Reno climate for 5500' SW Colorado climate any day of the week. Part of that may be due to living in Alaska for 6 years though.

e: I only looked briefly but when someone said that housing in Sac wasn't bad I figured they were full of poo poo and looked and at least based on my brief inspection they actually seem slightly cheaper in Sac. Like I saw a couple houses where I thought "poo poo if I saw that at that price in Reno I'd buy it in a heartbeat." It's also possible those houses were in a neighborhood where someone gets murdered every 90 minutes though or something. Not sure about property taxes. In Reno a ~$420,000 house that's 2800 square feet on a 9000 square foot lot pays ~2500/yr in property tax.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 9, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

nm posted:

See, Minnesota was enough winter for me. At least there i could drive on lakes.

Anything under $400,000 is either either tiny, in a place you will get stabbed, or miles out -- admittedly in Sacramento "miles out" isn't actually that far.
CA property taxes are hard to calculate, because the tax rate is based on the price you paid, not the current market value. The increase in value is a fixed at 2% per year, which is basically nothing. Oh and the assessed value passes through inheritance, so you can have multi-million dollar vacation homes paying taxes on an assessed value of $200,000 or less. (There's also many other fun loopholes to avoid re-assessment when sold). Basically, you'd pay the same for that $420,000 today, but 20 years from now, you'd be paying way less. P13 is one of the reasons that there has been so little turnover in come high demand property markets. If you are a middle income person in SF who bought a $300,000 house in 1990 that is now worth $2 million can either: hold it, pay taxes on $400,000 or something; or sell it, buy a smaller house in a worse location for $1,000,000, pay way more taxes. I guess they could also rent it out for $5000 per month while paying $2000/yr in tax.

My older sister has lived in the Bay Area her whole post college life (we grew up in Iowa). She moved out there with two friends from college and they've all stayed there and all ended up buying houses there eventually. First friend had a law degree and bought in 1997 and he got a really awesome 3 story Victorian in a nice neighborhood for 500k. Second was my sister with a STEM degree and in 2001 she got a kinda crappy two story but in a decent neighborhood and with a really nice lot (with a mother in law cottage in the backyard) for 500k. Third was in 2005 and had a sociology type degree and she got a shoe box with a recent double murder within a 1 block radius for 500k. And of course it rapidly lost ~50% of its value with the crash.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

kastein posted:

excuse me, have you heard the word of the one true economical* 4WD hatchback yet? ~45-50mpg is possible, 4wd, 5 speed, seats 5**

* until you have to start buying it new oil pumps and $480 NLA timing covers
** as long as at least 3 are midgets and/or multiple amputees

I love those old Justys. CVT?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ilkhan posted:

AWD is for rain, not dirt.

And if the non-AWD version is FWD, I ain't interested.

True. Weather... I prefer this side but not by much. I lived in Reno for a few years and the snow wasn't my cup of tea. But if I could get my county annexed by NV I would be deliriously happy. It even touches the border!

Weather tolerance is still a little bizarre to me. My older sis has lived in CA for 25 years so I understand that she needs to wear a winter jacket and knit cap whenever the temp dips below 64. But my mom lived in Iowa for 50 years and then CA for 8 years and now she lives in Reno and bitches endlessly when it snows more than 3/4 of an inch.

And on the opposite end of the spectrum in Juneau AK as soon as it's 45+ degrees and sunny you'll literally see old guys riding around on Harleys and teens walking around wearing shorts and tank tops.

Everything is relative I guess.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Darchangel posted:

So, my wife is taking a photography course as an elective at college, and has decided she'd like a nice camera. She's using the school's Canon EOS Rebel, T5, I think, may be T4.
She's looking at various kits and deals online.

I know you guys have answered before, but I didn't pay attention, because I had no clue she was going to get the bug. Good, reasonably cheap starter DSLR, and recommended lenses. I know there was a fairly cheap long lense you guys favored, as I recall.
She seems to like the Rebel and has been focusing (heh) on it.

Any great deals out there? Anyone got a good used one they want to offload?
Wanting a camera actually got her starting the taxes this morning...

Get her a Pentax K1000 and tell her that any good photography class includes developing and printing your own pictures.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

angryrobots posted:

For the last few years, I've turbotaxed it and broken even with the feds, gotten a bit back from state. I've been fine with this, but this year I went to an accountant on a recommendation aaaand JFC I feel like I'm going to jail with this yuuuge refund.

....dropping off our last 3 years returns to get looked at tomorrow. :stare:

I have some experience with this situation. A guy I used to commute to work with at my old job got his taxes done by one of the major nationwide tax preparers (by an actual human, not a software).

Since our commute was long we talked about everything under the sun and eventually taxes came up. He told me that the previous year he deducted the miles that he drove to work, but wouldn't be able to this year since I always drove and my passengers just paid me for expenses (my car was nice and got 35-45 mpg and his car was a shitpile that got 20 mpg).

Luckily (for him, I guess?) the next year his tax accountant found a new deduction he could use to offset the loss of his mileage deduction. He could deduct 25 dollars per day for lunch expenses since he worked more than 25 miles (or 50, or some poo poo) from home.

All of the above is totally false. You can't deduct any of that poo poo. You can deduct some of it if you're traveling FOR work (and are not reimbursed, which we would have been). You can't deduct any of it if the only traveling you're doing is TO work. All of the poo poo he was deducting is so obviously false it'd be proven so with 3 minutes of Googling. On top of that, this guy never ate lunch period. Even if it were deductible (it isn't), I'm pretty sure you can't deduct money from your taxes that you never actually spent. Like even if he could deduct 25 bucks a day for lunch, he can't deduct 25 bucks per day when he spends 0 bucks per day. And this isn't a couple hundred bucks either. This is thousands of dollars.

Now, I Am Not A Lawyer, but my guess is that there's zero chance of him ever really getting in trouble since it wasn't him doing this of his own accord, it was a tax preparer doing it for him. He might have to pay back the many thousands of dollars of taxes he probably skated on, but he's not going to go to white collar resort prison, let alone pound me in the rear end prison, because he didn't intend to defraud the government, he just did what his accountant told him to do (accountant should be in prison).

And he's probably not ever going to have to do that (pay back taxes), anyway. Pretty sure there are people skating on literal millions of dollars in taxes every year, so some middle class schlub that ends up paying 1000 fed tax when he should have paid 8 grand fed tax isn't (and shouldn't be) a huge priority.

Massive tax reform is absolutely needed but I'm afraid Trump's apparent plan of massive cuts for the rich and somewhere between minor decreases and minor increases for the middle class is probably not what is needed.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

And they'll privately email you asking if you'd rather sell your bus to one of them to restore "properly," because they think you're "ruining" it as-is.

That seems like an opportunity for some grade A trolling. Just sayin.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's a total waste of time unless you plan on using large format for fine art photography.

At this point shooting film is just a novelty, ask me how I know.

It's fun though and it made me slow down and think a lot more about composition rather than just rapid firing 500 pictures at a time like a retard.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KakerMix posted:

Fresh off the heels of getting that Lexus and still looking for a Samurai for my wife I found a 1991 Geo Tracker (aka Suzuki SamuraiSidekick) with 36,000 miles on it with A/C and in phenomenal shape. It's bright yellow, has :krad: graphics on the side even. Heading out to look at it tomorrow, they are asking 5k for it. From what I've looked at for these it seems that people run them ragged and they have some sort of computer fault past 200k, they rust like crazy up north and people complain about the lack of power. Otherwise like the Samurai they are die-hard little trucks. Do I have that right?

36000 miles is insane. Do you know what the story is?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

everdave posted:

My wife decided for the first time in 8 years of being married to hand wash a car. The brand new Prius. With my 2 year old. With dishwashing liquid. With the abrasive dish washing sponges. And just let the 2 year old have free reign in the gravel driveway dropping and picking up the sponge (thus acquiring tiny rocks stuck to it).

I now have literally hundreds of through the paint scratches on our brand loving new car. FML. Oh and I am the rear end in a top hat for getting mad about it.

Hahaha holy poo poo I feel so bad for you. I don't think I could prevent myself from having a bit of a freak out about something like that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

everdave posted:

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/tbkRukp

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/8UidOFm

Pic links, not sure how to embed in posting from phone

Those are nasty but I bet fixable.

As everyone knows, being that it's black it'll be a million times tougher to get rid of all evidence of it but I bet it's possible or at least mostly possible.

My mom closed the garage door when she had the hatch open on her 4 month old dark blue Forester and a metal crossbar on the garage door scratched the gently caress out of her hatch as it came down trying to force the hatch shut. I got 95% of it out with mild rubbing compound and elbow grease. I probably could have gotten 100% but I wanted to leave a small reminder of her shame.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

everdave posted:

I am hardly ever in it as I have it to my wife but every time I drive it I love it. And holy crap mine has the LED headlights, they are amazing. Free maintenance first 2 years (which is a whopping 2 oil changes called for). I got it at a great price too

Regular halogen headlights are garbage, aren't they? My last four cars have had either projectors or HIDs or LEDs and when I borrowed my bosses F-150 that had plain jane halogens I couldn't believe how dim they were. It didn't even really feel safe. It seems like late model Ford halogens are maybe shittier than most based on the complaints I've seen though, maybe to try and get people to upgrade to the higher trims.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KakerMix posted:

The story is some old lady retiree bought it new, then in 1995 sold it to Marie, who had it since then. Them being the high-end snowbirds, the kind that live in Florida and then go somewhere else in the summer, meant that they had it parked underneath a closed-in carport and it served as a second car for driving around town. There is this weird inverse of rust where the underside and body is spotless, including the fuel lines, bolts, all that stuff. The inside of the car though has rust hazing on things like the seat rails, the stick shift stalk and the rear view mirror bar. the interior is mint, door cards are perfect and the only age related anything is the top layer of the climate control labels is peeling and coming up from the labels beneath and the stick shift knob is all chewed up from exposure.
In line with that the tires separated from their treads in short order once we hit the highway and as we got into town and on the final streets to home it started having intermittent issues with running, the exact same way that a clogged fuel filter makes a car behave. Considering this is probably the first time it's been at the speeds and for as long as we had it going at I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's clogged, or if the fuel screen on the pump is all gunked up too. Going to dig into it tomorrow and I'll post some pictures in the post your ride thread as well.

Snowbird of some sort was what I was guessing, couldn't really think of a more plausible explanation. The only other thing I could think of immediately was towed behind an RV by someone anal enough to remove and reinstall the driveshaft all the time so the tow miles don't register. Which I'm guessing happens but obviously not a lot.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

jamal posted:

Pretty much, although clean and clear lenses, good bulbs, and proper aim go a long way. Meguiar's plasticx works really well for something you just rub on with a towel. After clearing the lenses, putting in sylvania xtravisions, and getting them pointed the right way I find the lights on my 98 Subaru acceptable. But an HID projector just puts out way more light in a much better pattern; it's something like 3x the light compared to a 55w halogen. Newer halogen projectors are pretty decent though. My mom's new forester just has halogens and they work very well.

I hadn't even really thought about it until I drove this guys F-150. My car previous to the 4 I mentioned above was a 2008 FJ Cruiser that definitely didn't have projectors or anything else fancy and its light output never bothered me. So I'm not totally sure if I just got used to better lights, or if regular Ford halogens are just exceptionally lovely. I suspect it's a bit of both. I remember there was a guy on a Mustang forum that I used to post on and he had the base lights on a ~2011 and it basically gave him mental illness. Multiple threads about how lovely the headlights were and then multiple threads about how he paid a dealership to upgrade his lights to the factory projectors/HIDs(?) and he was still having problems with them and yadda yadda yadda.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

What's the deal with rental cars and California's toll system? Dollar said that the transceiver is activated as you leave the lot? It felt like the kind of thing where they could have it activated on all cars and just try to get people to buy into the system. Driving between LA and SF and around there, I didn't see a single toll, but didn't know what to look for.

Like, the rental comes with EZPass or whatever it's called and you just get charged by Dollar for any tolls? And it's a system you can opt into/out of but if you opt out and drive through a toll without paying they charge you 5 times as much or something?

All of my relevant driving is to/from Bay Area (I live in Reno and sis lives in Berkeley)(and it's not in a rental) but unless it's significantly different elsewhere, you're never going to unwittingly drove through a toll. Not everyone has EZPass and they still want their money so there will be cash lanes. And they are cash lanes, don't bother trying to hand them a credit card.

The one time I forgot to make sure I had a five on me it turned into $25 since it's not like they have the option of making you turn around and go the other way (sent me a nice photo of my license plate). And then the $25 turned into $75 when I forgot about it for a few months.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

There's still days where beer/liquor is my only source of caloric intake.
This is probably a good portion of my problem.

Sounds like a good problem to me. When I intake a large number of liquor calories I frequently wake up the next morning and discover that sometime after 2 AM I also ingested 2,000 calories of cheese or some poo poo. Where'd that whole rotisserie chicken go? Oh yeah, I was drunk last night.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CharlesM posted:

It's the law in California for air & water (and a pressure gauge) to be free if you purchased fuel there.

I didn't know if CA was one of them but I know it's a state law in at least some states that they have to provide air if you're getting gas.

If I owned a gas station (or 10,000 gas stations) I'd just make it free regardless. I have to think that the good will and additional gas/snack/drink sales would easily pay for the minor amount of maintenance and electricity it takes to do it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I ended up buying some slime kit that reads the tire pressure for me. I'm sure I'll regret it at some point if it breaks but so far it's been nice.

I accidentally used the factory "slime" (tire puncture repair) kit that came with my Mustang. I didn't realize that the compressor that comes with it has two hoses, one for just air and one for factory ford slime, and I used the wrong one when I was just trying to air up a tire when I was on the road and the low pressure light came on.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fermented Tinal posted:

Here's it's like $0.50 or a $1 and they claim the proceeds go to charity.

I have a 12v compressor I got in some roadside emergency kit my mother gave me.

My wife travels a lot for work and when she does she parks at my moms house since my mom lives 2 miles from the airport and we live 30 miles from the airport (and my moms retired so 99% of the time she gives her a ride the last 2 miles). Wife normally is only gone for ~6 days at a time, but what I didn't know and which my mom told yesterday, was that if she's been gone for 2 or 3 weeks, before she leaves my mom's house, she'll check all her tire pressures and inflate them if necessary.

I didn't even know she HAD a 12v air compressor.

I'm so fuckin proud.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Or you could charge 50c-$1 and make an extra $5-100 a day, even if you turn it on for free if people just ask. That seems to be the norm here with the chains - if you walk up you pay, if you ask they'll turn it on for free.

e: I really need to get a compressor. I've been sidelined so many times by slow leaks that could be otherwise fixed by just throwing air in it until I can get it patched the next day.

It's hard to accurately quantify all the financial pluses and minuses of something like that though. Like I would definitely favor a gas station if they just had free air all the time without me having to walk in and get them to turn it on or give me tokens or whatever. And maybe that means I end up buying more energy drinks or vape juice or beef sticks from that station.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yet another reason to sing the praises of QuikTrip. Free air, just have to pres butan (and hope that the air chuck hasn't chooched her last).

I do pack a Viair 88p in the Jeep, though.

I was pretty sure one of the bigger chain stations I went to in the midwest when I lived there always had free air but couldn't remember which one.

Where I lived (in Iowa) they were branded as QuikTrip but I remember when I was visiting relatives in another state they had always just been branded as QT and it blew their minds when I told them what it stood for because they'd never thought of it as anything other than QT.

Speaking of which, I want to get a good air compressor to put in my F-150. Anyone have any other suggestions? I just googled the 88P and it does look like a pretty good one.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

IOwnCalculus posted:

I love my 88p, anything Viair is solid. If you just need to top up now and again, nearly any compressor will work. Having a nicer one like a Viair is more useful if you air down your tires to go offroad and have to reinflate them all from 15 to 33 PSI.

Only problem with the 88p is the pressure gauge is way high on it, especially while running. It is consistent at least. Shut it off at 40psi and the big gauge / TPMS agree on it being at 33.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm looking for. I've got a little cheeseball one that I use to air up the tires on my Honda when they're 4 psi low but I want something that isn't going to get overheated going from 15 to 35 psi on a 35" tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

IIRC the 88p is supposedly "good" up to 33" tires (takes my 31x10.5 from 15psi to 32psi in 1min40sec). Most likely totally fine for airing up a low 35" every so often. If you're regularly deflating/reinflating for offroading or the like, you'll probably want something bigger i.e. Viair 300p.

Yeah, I'm looking at the bigger ones right now. I don't have the tires yet anyway but assuming I eventually do I might get the 300 or 450.

• Locked thread