Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MGS, the clear solution to the problem you posted at the end of the last thread is to not live on the west syyyyyde. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So, this Macchina looks pretty loving cool. Wonder if it could be used to replace / handle maintenance functions that you'd normally need an OEM tool (i.e. Chrysler DRB3) to do.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jamal posted:

I was like 10-11 going to see Jurassic park, and they wouldn't sell us tickets because we weren't 13. We bought tickets to another movie and just went in anyway. I remember being nervous that someone was going to come in and pull us out of there. Also the raptors gave me nightmares for awhile.

Jurassic Park is the first PG13 I ever saw. My parents kept a tight lid on anything R rated, I don't think they even owned anything on VHS that was rated past PG. Also the first time I remember having to wait in line for a movie on account of the massive goddamn crowds.

I thought it was cool as hell, but also scary as hell. My four year old loves it. Of course she also loved Rogue One so :coolfish:

I definitely remember earlier movies in theater - Aladdin, Little Mermaid, and Land Before Time. I remember watching An American Tail on VHS a billion times but I don't remember seeing it in theaters.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think my first R was a Kazaa download of The Matrix.

Somehow, watching it on a lovely 15" CRT monitor seemed very appropriate.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fermented Tinal posted:

Tired? Son you need to convert to the truth and the light that is the buckling spring. Might I suggest:

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/f77-model-f-keyboard/

Some crazy person ordered a new production run of Model Fs and I am desperately trying to figure out how I can mismanage my finances so I can get one.

That's awesome.

I'm That Guy at work who bangs away on a Model M for eight hours a day. A few of the key caps are getting smooth but the mechanism is as tight (and loud) as ever. :kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Doug Demuro is convinced he's the funniest loving guy on the planet. He occasionally hits a few laughs (broken clock is right twice a day and all that) but you can't do what he's doing and be an insecure baby about it.

Also, loving AvE has better production values, and he doesn't have Autotrader backing him.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

angryrobots posted:

Yeah apparently a lot of posters itt have serious issues

...with a roomy and efficient transportation appliance, because it was offered with a mostly useless AWD system. You could however get the previous gen CR-V (that mgs is looking at) with a manual. I woulda thought that would earn it a pass, but oh well.

I mean, everyone here loves the goddamn Wagovan, and the CR-V is pretty much just the newer version of that, with marginally more ride height.

If the TSX wagon existed with a stick, I miiiiiiiight have one of those instead. That era of Acura nose is not a good look, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alternatively, some yards pull poo poo for you for liability reasons / because they don't want the unwashed masses using sawzalls when a ratchet will suffice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bah. The approximately 14 month old dishwasher is throwing an error that it thinks it has water in the drip pan and runs the drain pump nonstop. Googling says it's a common problem with this unit, but only seems to have cropped up now that they're all getting some age on them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

monsterzero posted:

Dishwashers are the worst. I feel like everyone I know replaced a 20-year old washer and are now on their second new one in three years.
Did dishwashers cost a months salary in the early 90s or something?

Enourmo posted:

I think it's just that classic answer of "Back then things were overbuilt to ensure they'd last through the warranty, these days we're much better at engineering exact lifetimes".

I suspect it was a little of both. The one we replaced was not original to the house, but it was close. It still worked but the racks were rusting through and would have cost 90% of a new dishwasher to replace, and the door seal was rock hard. I'm still amazed it never leaked.

The new one is/was much nicer. I never thought the old one was loud, but the new one you can barely hear running until you're right on top of it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

blindjoe posted:

I got a new computer and accidentally enabled https on the forums. Now I can't disable it and pictures aren't showing up right. Anyone know how to go back to normal unsecure forums? unchecking the box that says view in https when logging in doesn't work. Using chrome to view.

The forums have been forcing HTTPS for a while now. Any images not working are on crappy hosts that don't support HTTPS.

Like my server, until very recently :haw:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm seemingly the only person in the world who hated Duel. Watched it in driver's ed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I loved the W210 E320 we had - it was a '97 so it still had the inline six. But even that base model still had all kinds of little poo poo going wrong with it as it aged.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Admit it, anyone in here (who isn't too lazy to do so) would do a giant :dong: because why not.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are we green?

Supergreen.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I actually liked it? I mean Ewan MacGregor will never live up to the just-the-right sleaze that Jerry Goddamn Orbach brought in, but I didn't see any reason to be unhappy about it. Wife and kid both loved it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I see nothing wrong with that man's lifestyle choices. :shrug:

A GMT400 Suburban with Altezzas and a missing door, a thirdgen Firebird on too-big RIMZZZZZZZ, and an Expedition, all parked on the grass? Yeah, I probably wouldn't want that as a neighbor either. That definitely looks less like "too many cars not enough parking spaces" and more like "on any given day, only three of these run".

I mean, I've got my broke-rear end Jeep in the driveway, but I'm being very careful to hide the fact that it is currently broke. Body's still all there, wheels still on, it just looks like its normal post-trail dirty self.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Or I just could not buy an HOA house

Good luck with that in metro PHX, unfortunately, unless you've got some decent spending money.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

You should have a management company that does the inspections and sends out those citations. There should be a contact number on the letter. Call them and explain your work schedule and any reasonable manager will take your schedule into consideration and reverse the fine. If they won't, there should be a process to appeal to the board.

Failing that, go the media route because "HOA penalizes first responder" seems like the kind of poo poo the local stations would eat up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I'm all about cheap poo poo these days. Refurbed computers, chinese cell phones etc. Any vehicle I buy from here on out is gonna be cheap as hell unless I win a scratch off ticket.

I'm hitting this point in some regards. It helps that "cheap" is hitting the "good enough" tier. My Nexus 6 is closing in on being a three-year-old design, but the only real problems I have with it are due to aging of the battery. Part of me wants a Pixel XL (or whatever replaces it soon) but part of me would rather spend half as much for something that is as close as possible to a newer version of the Nexus 6.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Perhaps the newer version of the Nexus 6, known as the Nexus 6P? :v:

:haw:

Only problem there is that the 6P isn't going to get much more in the way of Android updates than my 6 will (did? I think it's probably on its last one). Whatever I get, I don't want to be jonesing to replace it in a year because it isn't on the newest version of Android. That's a problem I always had with all of my Sprint Androids (Evo 4G / Evo 3D / Note II), where they all seemed to get dropped from future updates almost immediately.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Sprint is pretty tight fisted with updates to phones on their network; outside of Nexus devices, all updates have to go through Sprint. And since up until relatively recently, all devices used on the Sprint network had to be purchased from Sprint, they had no incentive to offer updates. They'd rather sell you a new phone (and contract).

Yup, which is why I hosed off of Sprint to T-Mo at the same time as I got the Nexus 6.

I think mine is actually sitting on 7.1.1 which I guess they want to roll back off of the 6 for some unknown reason? Point is I'm less concerned about the CPU being significantly faster and more concerned about it getting solid updates. I was hoping for a Pixel price drop eventually but given that they seem to still be selling every one they make, I don't expect one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

scrubs season six posted:

I didn't know if CA was one of them but I know it's a state law in at least some states that they have to provide air if you're getting gas.

If I owned a gas station (or 10,000 gas stations) I'd just make it free regardless. I have to think that the good will and additional gas/snack/drink sales would easily pay for the minor amount of maintenance and electricity it takes to do it.

Yet another reason to sing the praises of QuikTrip. Free air, just have to pres butan (and hope that the air chuck hasn't chooched her last).

I do pack a Viair 88p in the Jeep, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I love my 88p, anything Viair is solid. If you just need to top up now and again, nearly any compressor will work. Having a nicer one like a Viair is more useful if you air down your tires to go offroad and have to reinflate them all from 15 to 33 PSI.

Only problem with the 88p is the pressure gauge is way high on it, especially while running. It is consistent at least. Shut it off at 40psi and the big gauge / TPMS agree on it being at 33.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride it where I like.

*ringing bicycle bells*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rdb posted:

Thanks, and don't try to imagine it. And don't worry about what to say because there are no words.

Holy loving poo poo. I don't even know what I'd do in your shoes.

• Locked thread