Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
First "not march yet" post in march thread.

Im still at work even. >:(

Cage fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ok Im home from work this thread is cool now.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Wonder how the gently caress *insert idiot here* hasnt been reprogrammed with a baseball bat

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I straight up don't even know what the gently caress ranch is. I mean I've heard of it obviously but I've no idea what it's made of or similar to.

*edit: wait is that what 'Cool' Doritos are?
Yo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranch_dressing

Its what "Cool Ranch" Doritos are, yes.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Thats so weird.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
And PCOS Bill only now has his first ban? Surprising.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
All dogs are top dog. I tell them that too. Good boy? Nope. Top dog.

E: I have ingested a non zero amount of vodka

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Just went to a condo open house. Nothing fancy, just a small little place close to home. Nothing seemed bad about it, and the price is certainly right. It would cost less to buy it than rent similar apartments in the area. Now I have to see if banks will give me money. :ohdear:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I live at home. Why would I want to pay more money for X years and then at the end of that have nothing to show for it? Buying a condo is cheaper and if I ever want to leave I can sell it.

You're literally the only person I've heard say renting is better than owning.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

BraveUlysses posted:

I get it if you feel like rent is throwing your money away but don't kid yourself owning property is always more expensive than renting.
With a 15 year mortgage and the hoa fee I'll be paying $550 per month heat included. I might be able to find a studio apartment for that much, but not a 2 bedroom like this is.

I will definitely own it, it isn't leased or rented.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Thanks for the concern brave but renting is out of the question.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I think I posted in the first thread about 5 years ago when I got my job and thought I could afford a house. They put me in my place pretty quick.

I will give it another read though now that I've lowered my expectations a bit. Thanks!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I'm not buying a house.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Good luck!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I don't mind dying.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I don't mind loving a condo.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Do never buy.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

rdb posted:

Cage, don't buy a condo. There's no garage!

For everyone else saying not to buy a house this is upstate NY, the housing bubble never really hit. Cost has been and remains on the low end of things. Taxes are steep but the schools are funded well and snow is removed promptly.
There are actually a couple with one, but they cost a little more. The one I saw was within 5 minutes of my parents home so car work can be done there as usual.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

The Locator posted:

All the Ice cream brands have done this on at least one occasion. It is pretty annoying.
Tuna cans! :argh:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
All dogs are good so I dont think its right to vote on them. :dog:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Bum gently caress egypt, or "far away"

Never heard it used around here, but I've heard "east bum gently caress"

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The earliest I remember was Jurassic Park, so I saw it at either 8 years old or 9 when it came to the cheapies. The theater was so full I wasnt able to sit with my family. Don't remember my reaction.

My current reaction is its a p good movie.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
It was really dumb to make a "How does my dodge viper do in the snow?" video on summer tires imo.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

KakerMix posted:

I'm got a kinda dumb question, what's the procedure for getting parts from a junkyard typically? There is a junked sc300 up in Tampa that has three parts that I need, maybe more. Window trim, the center arm rest bit and the pair of rear exhaust brackets that hold up the exhaust. I've never actually bought anything from a yard before so I'm completely ignorant in generally how it works.
You go and rip the parts off and say how much for these and they say "X" so you say "no how about Y instead" and they either say ok or no. You can ask beforehand for an estimate I suppose before you spend your time getting the stuff off.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

spog posted:

I'm sitting in a hotel on the company's dime, but they haven't enabled a tab for the room so room service is out.

I've been stealing things from the breakfast bar, but there's not a lot you can do with a yoghurt and a banana. (Well, not without a few drinks in me first. )
So did you already find out if you were canned or not? Because if they weren't planning on doing it to you they might change their minds after all this.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

CornHolio posted:

I suddenly really want to buy a W210 E55 AMG. How awful of an idea would that be?

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5984842347.html
It would be a better idea if it was from someone without a SIKK license plate.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

the spyder posted:

I have kicked rear end the last two days, or at least gotten way more rewarding things done then in recent months. If I can keep this going through the next two weeks, I might just get pulled out of this awful rut I keep dropping back into. :unsmith:
Good for you, keep it up! If it makes you feel any better reading your post inspired me to get out of bed (yeah it's 5:49 what of it) and head to the gym. I mean, I would've done it eventually but the sooner the better.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Ether Frenzy posted:

I've driven priuses, trust me, it's just a Prius.
Plus now you don't have to worry about people dinging your door in the parking lot.

Plenty more stuff of yours will get ruined and lose value, learn to chill out.

Cage fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 17, 2017

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

LloydDobler posted:

Jesus christ let the man vent. I'm sure he's not going to divorce his wife and shake the baby to death, he just needs to work it out with people who get it.
FML.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Easy to say when you don't have a brand new car I suppose.
And no kids. :D

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Cute kid, now you get to have some bonding time by showing them the right way to wash a car since they're both into it now.

Lets see how bad the paint is.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Unfortunately black paint is the worst (or best?) to highlight flaws in the paint. Good luck.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ok thats not rough side of the sponge bad, thats washing your car with rocks bad. Im sorry I take back everything I said.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I tried going to the gym after 40 cent wing night, holy cow what a mistake.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Wing night wasnt the mistake, going to the gym afterwards was. :colbert:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

rdb posted:

40 cent wing night where? I tried duffs the other day and was not impressed. Too much vinegar.
Ebenezer Ale House, they were very good for the price. Don't bother with a basket of fries because they're tiny. Where in Buffalo are you?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

QuarkMartial posted:

I'm turning 31 this year and started 2017 weighing 437. Now I'm down to 417 and I've been lifting weights six days a week. I feel like I'm kicking rear end and going to be entering my prime strength and weight-wise.
Good for you man, you got the perfect attitude and a great start.

:rip: your wardrobe, it's the worst best thing about losing weight

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Str: new video card would definitely be a good upgrade. I have the same chip with not as high of an OC but going from a 7950 to a 480 rx (I think?) and the difference was huge.

I swear I've upgraded my card 3 or 4 times while keeping the CPU and mobo the same and it's a major upgrade everytime.

Kastein: first day you probably won't want to talk to anyone. You should be OK in the next day or two though. Had all 4 popped out a few years ago, I was back to smoking marijuana very carefully after 3 days. It's not so bad.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I went from an HD6850 1GB to a 6GB 1060 and I can't believe video games can look this nice
Why you gotta show me up like that tt fight me in cs :mad:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Saw a nice house online a few hours ago, so I just got pre-approved for a mortgage and asked my realtor friend how to get the ball rolling in viewing the house and possibly making an offer. 🏠

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Magnus Praeda posted:

Have you been thinking about buying for a while? I don't mean to dissuade you or be snarky but it is worth asking.

I really like owning my house. I like not having to think about making it look nice for semi-annual inspections by the property manager or cutting holes in the wall to add network jacks. I built a 10x10 shed because I wanted one and the only person I had to consult was my wife. Then again, I also just got stuck with a bill to repair the pressure switch on my washing machine, I had to replace the flapper in the toilet last week, I need to spray along the foundation this week to keep the creepy-crawlies at bay, etc.

On balance, owning a house makes sense for me both financially and lifestyle-wise but I laid the groundwork for buying over the course of about three years (attended a first-time homebuyers class, fixed up credit, arranged and saved for down payment, etc.).

All that said: good luck and I hope you love your house as much as I do mine.
Well, my credit score is right at 700, I have enough saved to pay 10% and all closing costs out of pocket and the rest of the balance is what I was preapproved for. I've been thinking about it for a while. The roof was redone in 2007, and my dad drove by today and confirmed that it was a 50 year roof. I dont know jack poo poo about most handyman stuff but the house is less than 5 minutes from where I live now so I can always bother my brother and father for help or sleep here if I blow up the plumbing or something. Its a small house, 2 beds 1 bath no upstairs 860 square feet. Pretty close to as simple as you can get.

So yeah Im basically super green and inexperienced and jumping into something I probably shouldn't.

Cage fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 24, 2017

• Locked thread