Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Metal Gier Something posted:

For you Phoenix goons, I now live right behind Banner Estrella, and work in Mesa. 1300-0100. Traffic isn't terrible, but that middle 15 on the 10 has random slow downs.

There's also a chance (interview on the 13th) that I may get a Trainer job at the same place for $25/hr, versus 11.xx now. But I'd have to drive the same route during rush hours, as it's a standard 9-5.

I had to drive back from Mesa to Estrella at 1630 on both Friday and last Monday in the bus. Never again.

For that pay raise it's worth dealing with the traffic. I make that drive 3 times per week and if you give yourself an extra 30 minutes to get there you should be ok. Just chill, listen to tunes and follow the dude in front of you. The normal 'bad' part is around 79th ave. until the tunnel and then it normally breaks free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

MGS, the clear solution to the problem you posted at the end of the last thread is to not live on the west syyyyyde. :v:

That is certainly A solution. For me that is a solution that requires my house increase another $30k or so in value though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've also shot shotguns a couple of times, they don't kick like people say they do. I could see myself enjoying any fixed target rifle shoot really.

The kick varies wildly depending on the gun and the ammo load. A Remington 1100 (gas operated semi-auto) has significantly less kick than my Benelli M1 (inertia driven sem-auto) firing the exact same loads. A light target load for shooting clays will have less kick than a heavier bird hunting load, which will have less kick than a 3" magnum buckshot load.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I sort of want to sell my Benelli since I haven't shot it in forever, but people keep lowballing me on it because the receiver is stamped H&K (Heckler & Koch) because when Benelli first started selling in the US they did not have the proper paperwork to import so H&K was the importer and that's how they got stamped. It's a Benelli M1 Super 90 in every single way except that one stamp. Not giving it away for next to nothing because of a stamp.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

Gravy goes on the potatoes. The only things beef needs are salt and pepper.

Sometimes the gravy is good enough that everything else on the plate just becomes a gravy delivery system. :v:

Also, good luck Biodome!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Sliced avocados are just fine on a taco pizza.

But that's if you use a good homemade salsa as the base, and mixed cheeses, ground beef, green onions, jalapenos, and diced tomatoes as the toppings. And don't put the avocados on until it's cooked.

What you just described is called a tostada. Not a pizza.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Best steak I ever had was in the strangest place. A place called the Babb Bar, in the tiny little town of Babb, Montana (population 174), which sits on the east side of the Rockies just outside the boundary of Glacier National Park. Just a stupidly amazing steak, and I ate there far too often when I was working in the park.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

(I'm also on the board, which is run very competently)

This is the proper way to deal with an HOA, whether Condo or regular house.

My HOA was run by nutcase old dudes (and one nutcase insurance salesman dude) with nothing better to do in their lives except the HOA, so it was turning into a terrible one. So I got on the board (this isn't difficult, most boards will take anyone, and if it's a shitshow board, just talk to enough people and tell them you want to make it good and you'll get elected). Took a bit of time and effort, but over about 3 years I got all the nutcases voted out and became the President and now the board is run for the vast majority of the residents who are middle class working people, not retired nitpickers.

The time investment early on in a worst case scenario might be a bit bad, and you might have to put up with a bunch of shitheads early on, but once it's fixed, it's a few emails per week and a meeting once every two months. Totally worth it to not have busy-body nutcases in charge.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

slidebite posted:

I know it's been happening since, like, forever, but I'm getting annoyed with companies lowering the weight/volume of product more and more while keeping prices the same and making no note on the package for the consumer to notice.

Latest catch: Pringles. Historically 160 gram can, now 148 grams. 10% less so physically it looks almost the same (You'd need them side by side to notice) but same selling price. I understand costs go up, but you can bet they'd change the label and mention it on a package if they go the other way like :siren: "EXTRA VALUE 10% MORE!!! SAME LOW PRICE!!!" :siren: but silent going the other way.

Also, before anyone shits on them, pringles are awesome and I'll cut anyone who says otherwise.

All the Ice cream brands have done this on at least one occasion. It is pretty annoying.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

angryrobots posted:

Got me thinking, what was everybody's first movie you remember seeing in a movie theatre (or drive in)?

I know I went to a bunch of them before this, but the one that really stands out in my memory was a double-feature at a drive in when I was 10 or 11 - the movies were "Grizzly" and "Eat My Dust". Dumb bear movie gave me nightmares since I went camping all the time back then. Eat My Dust was pretty awesome, in my memories it was just a long car chase, although I'm sure there was other stuff in it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

It's like they're trying to be loving terrible

It's Congress. I don't think they can help it anymore.

I have to admit though, the title is pretty hilarious. I guess it's true if you are the CEO of Anthem or something.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 8, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just smash those idiots with a cricket bat until they get the idea that maybe, just maybe, Universal Healthcare isnt communist but an actual thing a proper First World country does?

Pretty sure most of them would be a fine red paste before they would admit that.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

If I have time, I'll settle for lunch at this chinese place my wife likes.

:mediocre:

Also, good luck.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rhyno posted:

There was a mini KKK meet here in town this morning. Only one guy in the robes and hoods but I hear there were about 25 people all told. So some students went and set up shop across the street to protest their hate.

Guess which group got busted up by the police with multiple arrests?

GUESS.

Umm... the ones without the proper permits? :v:

E: To be clear, I'm being sarcastic.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Picked one. No rear seat, gotta fix that. And it stumbles with the AC and headlights on. But the price was right.

Only one problem with that as a commuter - I hope you like driving at the speed limit or slightly below. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Are you implying I've ever driven above it with my current commuter? :v:

True enough, but for a different reason. In the new one you'll be blocked by traffic afraid to go faster and too stupid to move over!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Sounds like it was a combo of the students not having permits AND throwing eggs at the Klansters.

Brilliant.

I'm all for punching KKK dudes in the face, but I'm fully aware that with assault, comes legal consequences.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

Have a great weekend almost!

My vacation starts tomorrow morning, so I will, thank you!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Garage has been broken into overnight. Welder and some socket sets stolen.

Luckily it's too messy for them to have had a proper dig in, but still annoying. They've properly trashed the door to get in, too - I have security deadbolts on it, and they've basically just ripped an entire section of door out to make a human-sized hole.

See how cooperative the insurance company feel like being when they open for me to call them.

EDIT: gently caress, they took my mountain bikes too. THAT annoys me.

Ugh, that sucks, hope the insurance is good to you.

I assume it is a garage somewhat remote from your house? Almost all garages around here are attached, and I imagine the noise they would make ripping a hole in it would wake me up. At least I hope it would.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

In the past few years, I've seen exactly one P71 still in active service. Watched it sneak up on someone and pop them for speeding.

Still a fair number of them around here in service, both marked and unmarked. I know the State Troopers still have a good number (one of them parked about 6 houses down from me until about 3 months ago, but he has an SUV now). More importantly everyone has lived with them as police cars for so drat long that it will take a while for people to not assume a Crown Vic is a cop. Now of course, it's mostly Ford Explorers and Tahoes depending on the department, and everyone is getting paranoid of SUV's behind them, although the Sheriff's department here has a lot of Chargers.

The sneaky ones are the random unmarked units that come in all colors and flavors like a maroon F-150 or a blue (with racing stripes) Ford Mustang here in my little town.

Powershift posted:

If you have an electric door with the manual release string hanging down, at the very least remove the handle off the string, if not the string entirely. it takes less than a minute with a coat hanger to poke through the gap at the top of the door and grab that handle.

Sounds like a weird design. A tilting one-piece door? Mine is on tracks which don't even begin to make the curve until above the door opening, so there is no crack above the door and the top of the door when fully closed is over 8" above the top of the opening on the tracks where they start to curve inside.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

beep-beep car is go posted:

What do you guys call the State Police?

I grew up in MA, and they've always been "Staties". My wife grew up in Upstate NY, and they've been "Troopers" and when we first started dating, she though it was weird that I called them Staties. Now I'm wondering what other nicknames people have for their state police.

They've always been DPS here (Department of Public Safety) and everyone just called them "DPS Officers" but last year they decided that they no longer wanted to be DPS and now want to be called "State Troopers" even though the agency is still DPS.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I really, seriously don't understand how and/or why HOAs work. So you own the house but they own the land as some kind of land tenure, or what the gently caress is going on? Why are other people allowed to tell you what you can and can't do on your property?

Bit late to HOA chat, but I just caught up with this thread after vacation.

HOA's exist because the cities/towns decided they didn't want to build and maintain parks, so they dumped the 'greenspace' stuff on the developers, and well, somebody has to pay for the landscapers and water, and the cities said - make the homeowners do it! Thus were born the HOA's.

When a developer creates a new HOA for the new development, they (the developer) are the board of the HOA and they get to create the rules (CC&R's and Bylaws) which only get handed over to the homeowners after a certain percentage of the homes are occupied (something like 60% if my memory is right). Only after that point can the rules be changed if the homeowners don't like them, but guess what? It takes a majority of ALL the homeowners, not simply the ones who choose to vote, to change anything in the CC&R's. That pretty much means that the rules can't be changed. Ever. So in many ways the hands of the board of the HOA are legally tied, since they are handed a set of rules that cannot be changed. Some of those rules are also unenforceable due to the rules conflicting with local laws (like on-street parking when the city owns & maintains the streets).

If you don't like how your HOA is run (draconian enforcement of architectural guidelines for example, which CAN be changed by the board), the solution is to be active in your HOA. Most HOA board meetings have very few (and sometimes zero) homeowners show up, so the board is operating in a vacuum of feedback. When people do show up, it's invariably because they are pissed off about something (usually poo poo the HOA isn't in charge of anyway, like their neighbors noisily dragging their trashcan out at 3am).

If your board won't listen to your feedback, then get together with your neighbors, and get together with a few of them to run for the board positions which should be up for election on a rotating schedule so that some of them are up every year. It's super easy to get elected to an HOA board since it's really difficult in most HOA's to even get a quorum for the annual meetings. A quorum is only 10% of the homeowners, and they don't actually have to show up, they just have to send in votes. If you have 500 homes in your HOA, you need 51 votes to have a Quorum, and only 26 of those people need to vote for you instead of the existing board member for you to win the spot. Get enough sensible people on the board that you have a majority of the board members, and bam, you are now in control of your HOA since the HOA board determines who holds what position on the board, so you and your neighbors can suddenly be the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer and be able to swing every vote in the way you want it.

It's a pain in the rear end during the transition, but once it's done it's smooth sailing, and if you are running the HOA in a way that keeps most of the people in the community happy (meaning they won't show up because they aren't pissed off), you'll get re-elected every 3 years when your term is up until you get sick of it and decide not to run again. It will cost you a few hours per month maybe in emails, and a couple hours per meeting, whether that's monthly or every other month or whatever.

I am the President of my HOA for this exact reason, and all the dumb-poo poo old retired board members who had nothing better to do than make life hell for 90% of the residents who are all working middle-class have all been voted out or quit when they couldn't get their way anymore.

Things like that rule about nobody being able to own a pickup truck? Yea, that's not going to be in the CC&Rs, it's going to be in the bylaws or guidelines which the board can change, so you can just get rid of that stupid rule.

Is there a rule in the CC&R's that you can't change, but is either unenforceable, or completely stupid for your neighborhood (we have one that says no vehicles that are marked as company vehicles can be parked in the neighborhood - so anything that has a company logo on it is against the rules, but probably every 5th house has a company truck or car in the driveway)? Tell your management company to ignore that rule when they are doing their violation visits. The management company works for the board, so unless you tell them to do something unethical or illegal, they'll do it.

Alternative system - Don't buy a house in an HOA community if you can't live with HOA rules and can't or won't get involved yourself to make sure it's an HOA you can live with.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Or I just could not buy an HOA house

If you don't want to deal with an HOA, this is certainly the best choice.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

I live in an area with an HOA now. It is moderately annoying. I have to pay $200/year for the privilege. But, there are a lot of maintained, large green areas. Nice flowers, lighted brick columns at the entrance to each street. I can work on my car all I want. There's really no interference from the HOA. The only thing I can't do is fence in the yard with a fence taller than 4' or put solar panels on the roof.

It's actually against the law in AZ for an HOA to block installation of a solar system with some very difficult to meet exceptions.

There are non HOA houses that don't have wells/septic, y'know.

I got a letter Saturday showing a loving photo of the trash bins sitting outside the garage door, clearly from a car-mounted system, date stamped Wednesday. Trash pickup is Tuesday, late in the day. I work until 1AM. So I didn't get them inside for eight hours after work. Big whoop, but it's a $50 fine to the owner!

gently caress HOAs to death. Them, along with binding arbitration clauses, are the reason America is an oligarchy. Why rent when you can rent?!

You should have a management company that does the inspections and sends out those citations. There should be a contact number on the letter. Call them and explain your work schedule and any reasonable manager will take your schedule into consideration and reverse the fine. If they won't, there should be a process to appeal to the board.

Doesn't your HOA send a warning notice first to allow you to correct a violation before assessing a fine?

If you don't already have a copy of you rules and procedures, you should get them.

Also if you want to be a dick to the HOA and completely get on their bad side, here is something that most people don't know. In Arizona, the only fee that an HOA can actually place a lien on the property for is the assessment. All of the other poo poo, fines and late fees associated with the fines are only collectible via small claims court and are quite difficult to secure a judgement on as long as you keep current on the assessments.

So, if they are unreasonable and won't work with you on simple stuff like this, you can pretty much tell them to get stuffed and just pay your assessment. Just don't purposely do things that will draw violations as that would show intent on your part and make them getting a judgement against you much easier.

Now if you are renting I suggest not doing this without talking to your landlord as ultimately they are the one responsible for the property and the HOA fees.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

TurboDrizzle posted:

crossposting from the miata thread (do we even have an autox thread anymore?)

Am i off the throttle too much? Skipped past the slower, boring runs.

In addition to what Brig posted, I would say that you are too 'on/off' with the throttle, although not knowing your car I'm only going by sound and how the car reacts. There are a few times across the runs where you could have gotten back into the throttle earlier coming out of a corner if you 'eased' into the throttle, but instead you just hammer it after coming out and end up having to catch the car as the back end trys to come around. To me that says that you are going from off-throttle, where the front tires are loaded and getting grip, to max (or lots of) throttle which causes the back tires to lose grip before the weight can transfer back to them for more grip.

Other than that, too much time coasting. In general on an autocross you should be on the gas, on the brakes, or some combination of the two. Normally even in a steady-state corner you should still have some gas going, not be coasting, even if that means you are also braking (left foot braking is a great thing to learn for autocross). That style of driving doesn't work for everyone, but if you figure it out, you can continuously be balancing the car with the throttle and brakes even in the corners. It's kind of hard to describe it, so I hope I'm not making it more confusing than I think I am.

In this video, listen to the engine. Notice that you can almost always hear that I'm in the throttle on corners, balancing the car by left-foot braking during the turns while still keeping in partial throttle. I think the video explains better than my description does, I hope.

https://vimeo.com/29585116

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

You are right rdb, there are no words. All I can say is that I'm terribly sorry for your loss, and I for one have zero problem at all with you venting here.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Geoj posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

Just took a call from one of my old bosses at the call center that laid me off last month, asking if I could come in to sign a noncompete they "forgot" to have me sign when I first started there in summer of 2015.

He seemed genuinely confused when I said no, and doubly so when I explained that I stand to gain nothing by doing so when he asked why I was being "difficult".

That might be the funniest thing I've read all week. Hahaha.. what kind of moron would go back to someplace the had fired them (or laid off, semantics) to sign anything unless it was going to benefit them in some tangible way, let alone something that is detrimental to them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

LOL at that pedal design, in plastic. Sorry about your head!

In funny HOA stuff, got my monthly management report, and the call-center reports are always funny, not much this month, but a couple good examples of how stupid people are and why nobody who is a reasonable human being wants to be on HOA boards.

A couple copy/pastes from the report with names obviously removed (these are the notes made by the person taking the call, I'm sure the actual calls are even more interesting:

1) Notes: Wanted to confirm xxxxxxx's email to make sure complaint on neighbors was received -confirmed email and
provided property manager email.

2) Notes: xxxxx, Owner. Calling regarding street repair tar causing black marks on driveway. Request call back xxx-xxx-
xxxx.
Close Note: Called owner in regards to contacting the city for this. He explained the problem was
that neighbors said he said that he drove on the street and its tire tracks in the street and he has it in the driveway.

-------------

I'm not even sure WTF that guy in the last one is trying to say, but seriously? You are calling the HOA to bitch about black marks in your driveway from street repairs (they are city owned and maintained streets)?

It's both hilarious and sad how many people think that the HOA board should be solving their neighbor disputes. Go talk to your neighbor yourself you dumbass.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

If you want a super good reason for why not to have an HOA try out the NextDoor app.

I'm not sure what that thing has to do with having an HOA, but I'm pretty sure that much like the people that show up for HOA meetings because they are either busybodies or mad about something, the people who would sign up for and use this app are probably the same sort of people, who I want nothing to do with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Cage posted:

:argh: The house I posted sold already.

House hunting is frustrating. Lots of patience and nothing and looking and nothing and then suddenly a good deal gets posted and its sold within 24-48 hours.

That's exactly why I ended up in a new build, in an HOA instead of finding the 'perfect' house somewhere outside of an HOA. It was simply impossible for someone working full-time and financing to be able to buy a house when people were jumping on everything with cash in hand and bidding over asking price. This was back in 2005 when the prices of houses here were going up sometimes several thousand dollars in a single week.

This is also why I'm now still upside down in my house, as when the crash came, this area crashed really hard (fell to 20% or less of the top, and about 35% of what I bought at). Luckily the prices are recovering and I'm probably only a couple years away from being in a position to actually be able to sell and move if I decide I want to.

• Locked thread