Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

mariooncrack posted:

Have we talked about five guys lately?

If I stay late at work tomorrow, work will buy me five guys for dinner.
Not worth it. Get Habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nm posted:

I think five guys makes a better burger, but habit will put avocado on it, so I'm torn.
I thought five guys was fine, but Habit was definitely better. And cheaper. And the peanut oil fries gave my GF's kid a mild reaction, so Habit wins.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nm posted:

202 broken people.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I'm having a rotten goddamned day so I cooked MEAT

GF: "too cooked for me".

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nm posted:

There is literally a town named cow town here. It is in spanish ("Vacaville"), but still.

It is a very far out suburb for San Francisco and Sacramento.
I.... Had never considered that before.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

KakerMix posted:

I'd get the Raptor too because it will hold it's value more than a non-Raptor would. Plus it's fast and that's cool right? I think they are super obnoxious but I'm sure people look at me driving around and think I'm super obnoxious so.
Used raptor prices are artificially high right now. They stopped making them for a couple years, and announced the new ones wouldn't have the V8. Once some of the '17s start hitting the used market, and people figure out that the V6EB is a damned good engine, prices on the old ones will drop like rocks.

And yeah, the $15k price difference is huge. $15k gets you a lot of suspension and tire work, in additional to a lot of money left in your pocket.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

scrubs season six posted:

For a while it looked like somewhere between 25% and 50% chance we were going to move to SLC, but more recent developments (i.e. a different job offer) have dropped it to probably 10% at best. I'd actually say 5%, at this point. Probably not gonna happen, which is both good and bad. I do love farting around in the Wasatch-Uintahs and the proximity to Moab and my pops in Colorado would be nice, and living in/near a pretty large metro area.. But I also like Reno and Tahoe and farting around in the Sierras and the proximity to the Bay Area, so...
I like sac. We have Tahoe, Reno, and SF within easy driving distance, not much we don't have access to. Now if only we had sane politics...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Short version: "If it doesn't actually work off road, it can get hosed."

I'm not responsible for what X-thousand muppets buy. Any manufacturer presenting me with something 4x4/4WD/AWD had better actually mean it.
AWD is for rain, not dirt.

And if the non-AWD version is FWD, I ain't interested.

scrubs season six posted:

The bad thing about Sac vs Reno is CA taxes vs NV taxes. And probably traffic. And worse weather (depending on your preference for hotter summers meaning warming winters, which personally I'll take the cooler summers and the colder winters).

But Sac is also a real city whereas Reno is Reno.

My sis lives in the Bay Area and I love the place but dislike paying 800,000 dollars for a share croppers shack and not being able to own a nice car because people are just going to run into it constantly and drive off.
True. Weather... I prefer this side but not by much. I lived in Reno for a few years and the snow wasn't my cup of tea. But if I could get my county annexed by NV I would be deliriously happy. It even touches the border!

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 9, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

There was a mini KKK meet here in town this morning. Only one guy in the robes and hoods but I hear there were about 25 people all told. So some students went and set up shop across the street to protest their hate.

Guess which group got busted up by the police with multiple arrests?

GUESS.
I'm waiting for the rest of the story. Permits, violence, whatever. Because I'm sure even Indiana isn't *that* stupid.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Geoj posted:

You say that but you'd be wrong.

TL;DR Indianapolis police officer with a nearly .2 BAC plows into three stopped motorcyclists at highway speed, killing one and severely injuring the others. Responding officers took him to an emergency clinic instead of an actual hospital for his blood draw - arguably as part of a cover up as state evidence laws require DUI blood draws to be performed at an actual hospital. Officer evades conviction for the better part of three years, ends up with additional criminal charges while his case winds through the court system (including an additional DUI) and is currently likely going to be released early later this year, having served less than four years of a 16 year sentence.

Yeah, Indiana is *that* stupid. Odds are at least some of the cops beating up counter-protesters in Rhyno's story were themselves klansmen.

But what am I saying - don't you subscribe to the "the police can do whatever they like as long as they target people I disagree with and leave myself and like-minded people alone" mindset?
Nope. I want the law to be fair and to be dispensed evenly. Police beating up unarmed protesters without provocation is bad. I'm just looking at the recent history of anti-Trump protesters being aggressive and violent and provocative and saying *maybe* its not bad cops.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Geoj posted:

I'm sure this is what you'd be saying if we were talking about jack-booted thugs upstanding police officers attacking a group of peaceful open-carry advocates :jerkbag:
Open carry isn't aggressive or provocative. If you're just walking around with signs and poo poo, go wild. If you're brandishing and getting in people's faces and throwing eggs... you're gonna get hosed up. And I'll still be on the cops' side. A lot of open carry advocates are idiots.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Nope, removed from the store in January. :smith:
It's still available to download from their website, but not to purchase. I like ynab4 as well.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Magnus Praeda posted:

There's the Buy/Sell thread over in the Dorkroom for some hot goon equipment action.

I've picked up a few things from goons there and had a good experience (though the usual buying stuff on SA caveat applies).

Personally, I'm still rocking a Canon 30D because I'm cheap I don't need video or any prints larger than 8x10, but camera stuff can get :homebrew: real fast.
I've got an 80D, but aside from being able to swap lenses and zoom my phone's camera puts out better pictures. :wtf:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Am I understanding your query correctly?

rdb posted:

I replaced the fuel pump on my lawn mower with an off-spec unit. Now its flooding. gently caress Kawasaki

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

Rascal status: currently in second place
Vote delivered. Currently in first place.

I suggest these monthly chat threads should have best dog competitions every month.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 20, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Preface: I am a dad to a girl almost five years old so I have directly and indirectly exposed to a lot of Disney princesses/movies etc.
I got crap last night while skating for knowing all of Frozen's "let it go" as a single/childless-male and was like "don't care, it's catchy". I then requested "just can't wait to be king" and "be prepared". Requesting 3-4 songs a week to skate to without dupes is hard. Disney does good songs.

Haven't seen either of those live action remakes, though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

keykey posted:

Just do yourself a favor and do auto debit. I've done that from day 1 and don't have to think about poo poo other than how loving expensive school is.
Auto debit is the devil. Always push the payment from the bank side (bill pay, etc) rather than pulling. Much easier to cancel a push than a pull.

And yeah, CC for everything you can (without a fee, which wipes out the cash back / points benefit)

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 23, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

angryrobots posted:

I mean sure, but you don't have to use auto pay. It's still a potential headache. I don't mind paying bills as they come in.

Speaking of credit card rewards, what are you guys using? I was on a 1% rewards Capital One for years, cashing the points in for fuel cards, but just switched to a Capital One Quicksilver cause it's 1.5% cash back.

I have a 1% cash back American Express for backup. Neither card charges an annual fee, and I pay them off every month.
Citi double cash. 2% on everything, no hassles with minimums or anything, no AF. I have a CSP I need to cancel to avoid the fee soonish too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

everdave posted:

I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve and the Ink Business Preferred

180,000 sweet bonus points
I'm debating on the CSR. $500 is a lot to pay for an AF, even if the rewards are pretty enticing. I wouldn't pay more than one AF, either way. Maybe if I traveled more consistently.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cage posted:

Well, my credit score is right at 700, I have enough saved to pay 10% and all closing costs out of pocket and the rest of the balance is what I was preapproved for. I've been thinking about it for a while. The roof was redone in 2007, and my dad drove by today and confirmed that it was a 50 year roof. I dont know jack poo poo about most handyman stuff but the house is less than 5 minutes from where I live now so I can always bother my brother and father for help or sleep here if I blow up the plumbing or something. Its a small house, 2 beds 1 bath no upstairs 860 square feet. Pretty close to as simple as you can get.

So yeah Im basically super green and inexperienced and jumping into something I probably shouldn't.
860s.f. is a good sized one bedroom apartment, not a two bedroom house.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm confused about this well water/HOA scenario here. How does that work?

I pay a water company and they supply me and let me pee and poop and take showers and wash cars to my heart's content. Is that different over there?
He's far enough out from a town that he doesn't have a water company. He has a well.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

That's just lovely. How doe the homeowners tolerate that?
By bitching about HOAs in threads like these.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I've heard using a prepaid visa gift card with no money on it on the air compressor machines works and while I advocate strongly for stealing air I will not bother attempting to do so
Huh. I have found a use for the *$0.02* prepaid card t-mobile sent me as a refund when I switched to verizon.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

rdb posted:

Living in the present, let's see... my 15 month old son died a month ago and it still feels like I stood in front of a cannon, my employment contract expires tomorrow so I will be officially unemployed, car was in an accident and still not fixed so my wife and I only have one vehicle, and I had been riding my motorcycle but the rear tire corded and the tire changer/balancer I ordered a month ago hasn't come in.

Oddly enough I do have money but for all the wrong reasons. Retention bonuses and life insurance. Would give it all back in a second just to hug my kid :(

I'm done won't bitch again.
My condolences, rdb. Vent if you need to. No one here will blame you.

KozmoNaut posted:

gently caress insurance companies.

"You were backing up, so you get 100% blame. Doesn't matter that you literally had no chance of seeing the other car, doesn't matter that she was going too fast for her sight lines, nothing else matters. You were backing up = you get the blame."

Bloodsucking fuckers.
Also applies to turning left out of a parking lot. It sucks.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

I just washed my car for the first time in months and discovered Fiat thoughtfully constructed a convenient pocket above the front chassis member to collect dirt and gravel for later use. There was literally about a pound of crap on either side like they wanted it to rust. Wankers. During this the hose connectors burst off about a dozen times and I find the hose itself is leaking from a million places.

Then I tried to clean the block paving which was now black. I think I'll give in and buy a cheap karscher and a new hose tomorrow. :homebrew:
They just want to keep Tony employed.

• Locked thread