Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Door Frame posted:

Woah, thanks for the heads up. My girlfriend was eying the 7D because it had a high shutter rate and she wanted to shoot more sports events, but if it's not a full frame like the 6D is, that'll be a lot of money down the drain

No it's not, the 7D is exactly what you want for sports - the crop factor makes it much better to get "closer" and of course it's a faster camera with a brilliant autofocus system especially for sports. And the 7D's picture quality is riiiiight up there.

A lot of pros stopped carrying 1D's and switched to the 7D for sporting events, that is how good the 7D is - you are looking at what is a genuine pro level camera priced at a keen amateur's price. Zoom with your feet and the crop factor isnt a problem.

The only real issue I've had is of course it's low light performance isnt as good as a full frame. But sports? Oh Lord yes you want a 7D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

Yes, but it's a well designed chaos, unlike Sydney's road setup.

Where are you hiding?

Given I cycle rather than drive in Sydney, I dont notice :D

St Albans in between on site work around Deer Park / Laverton. Yes, St Albans is as lovely as I have been told :)

At the Melb DC right now. Fuuuuuuck the traffic.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I've got a giant 60x30 print hanging on my wall off a 35mm B&W negative I shot at a local state park of an old Spanish war era fort.

Normally it's close to impossible to get a good print that big off 35mm, but I lucked out because the exposure was perfect and the guy that made the print was a master at his craft. I also have TONS of B&W family portraits around the house. I definitely had fun shooting film, but these days it's just too much of a pain to deal with.

As much as I am a fan of digital and I aint touching film again..... in all honesty film is the best to learn with, for one specific reason - there's no room for mistakes. It forces you to think about the shot, how to compose, how to set the apature and field of focus becuase as soon as you press the button that's it and you only got 11 or up to 35 more shots availible with no edit and no erase. It really makes you learn how to use a camera properly and I really apreciate using the old Pentax SLR for that reason.

Sure, I can be lazy and just shoot a test / check / adjust / erase / shoot / check these days because I can. But the grounding on how to work the camera and understanding how to get the best out of a D-SLR? Use a film camera first, simply because it really makes you think and understand.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah learning how to make the shot in camera is the best thing you can ever do. I hated editing digital poo poo, I really didn't enjoy it so I made sure my shot was pretty much what I wanted it to be in the first place. I'm not about making more work for myself AFTER I've clicked the shutter.

Also I feel like the editing culture that surrounds digital can also be really loving bad for photography, mainly because people that can use a camera often don't have an eye for what looks good. They'll snap a shot and then overedit the poo poo out of it making it look like trash. Just smash the contrast and edge enhancement all the way up, colours need to pop so hard they make your eyes bleed.

I *might* touch up a few images but that's as far as I will go.

Thats how it comes off the card, if I need to post process heavily then I hosed up the shot in the first place. I *should* use a polarised filter a bit more than I do, Aust lighting conditions tend to make things look harsh and a tad over exposed even with a -1/3rd f-stop dialled in.

I should get my motorsport photographers license so I can legally go where normally I shouldnt.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ahhhh the joys of an allnighter. Actually been a while since I've needed to do one - but I guess a server room wont rebuild itself.

Fuelled by tea and coffee at present. Wheeeeee!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Ah, so this was you?

No.

Pity. That's quite funny.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I've been here like 9 years and I am unfortunately still alive

You are an Apple fanboi, you are clearly already dead on the inside already.

Plus.... who the gently caress would want to live in Detroit? Isnt it one of the shittiest places weatherwise?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

If you are in Ballarat, point yourself to Victoria Park where Rally Victoria service park is and say hi to Rally Bad Boyz

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

You can't have it, you'll wash it with rocks.

What, taking it rallying? Sounds like a win to me

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Have you ever seen a flex joint on a Subaru twin scroll exhaust header fail so hard it blasted the flex mesh clean off?

And then blasted hot gasses in directions so that it melted the inner guards and set fire to the engine mount AND then the cv joint boot split due to the heat blast? And then also damaged a line of other things by the sheer heat?

So yeah the latest rally was... interesting There's a lot of odd damage to fix as a result of that failure. Engine mounts, CV boots, Steering boots, the inner guard, a few other random rubber things and that's what we have found so far.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BigPaddy posted:

BMI was created by a Belgian Mathematician for a city census, it has very little to no basis in medical fact.

BMI has it's place. It is a decent beginners guide for 99% of the population and frankly even if you are a brick shithouse and all muscle there is a point where hauling that mass isnt going to be long term healthy. So yes, unless you are an outlier it's actually a good starting target for goal setting and a good guide if you cant accept that not being able to see your own dick when pissing is a bad sign.

Also have a look at pictures of peole 40 years ago and you will see it fitted much better when the average 175cm male was actually 73 kgs, not 86kgs as it is now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

174cm, 81kgs, about 6kgs over race weight. Once again getting back into hard core mode cause gently caress getting bigger and also I want to do a half Ironman again but this time so the run leg doesnt suck

When it comes to fitness there HTFU rule always applies. 430am so I can get out of work early enough to ride / swim / run / whatever. I *hate* mornings. I'm not overly found of wind and rain at the same time but..... well..... that's what I have for riding today.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

Most people believe it's as simple as "calories in - calories out" but it's really, really not. There are so many complex systems in play like insulin resistance, leptin resistance, and the gut microbiome. It seems the only things dieticians can ever agree on is fructose without fiber to slow it's asorbtion = bad. lots of fiber, particularly insoluble fiber = good.

Actually it is - Basic law of thermodynamics cant be beaten. If you dont eat the calories, you WILL lose them. The complex bit is how your body sets it's base metabolism rate and working out how much food to intake to enable weight loss and also what food works best for you - but even then just eating decent food and not sugar loaded crap goes a looooong way in getting the calorie intake right.

There's really no need to overthink it even if the complex systems are difficult to understand. Eat less than what you burn. Eat food that hasnt been heavily processed. Strength training / HIIT steps your metabolism up so it burns more. ANY exercise helps. Oh and drop the soft drinks, drink water. Water is gooooood.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm not talking about a "car collector" with 12 cars, this is the example about half a mile from my place. i'm not in an HOA area but this guy is about a block outside of one. I'm sure his neighbors love him.

Zillow zestimate for that house is over 425k btw :laffo:

Seems perfectly normal to me.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh I dunno. Sometimes you get to surprise them at the next set of lights and they get all embarrassed and scared and wont look at you. Especially if you are really pissed and ready to deck the oval office. The passenger I think wet themselves.

101kms, head winds and for the first time in years I got caught out without sunscreen. I am soooooo burnt

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

angryrobots posted:

Ooo I'll have to look into that.

Look I know we don't do politics here, but you guys have to see this because omg

It's the birth of Immortan Joe. Today trump wore an "I :love: TRUCKS" button, sat in a rig and pretended to drive, truth is stranger than fiction

Than man is just so loving bizarre. Surronds himself with god and the trapping of the ultra rich, he clearly hates the White House and yet when he's on an aircraft carrier or a in a truck he looks like he is a big kid having the time of his life.

Okay I'd become a big kid too but still. I just cant imagine any President just going BRRM BRRRM I DRIVE BIG TRUCK YAY

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

slothrop posted:

Where did you manage to find sun in NSW? You're a gaddam magician

I'm in Melbourne right now. Have been for the last two weeks. I've heard tho the rain has been rather epic confirm/deny?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

slothrop posted:

First day of seeing the sun in two actual whole weeks. Sure I had to work all day but now I'm sitting on my deck listening to great music drinking a beer soaking up some rays. Going to fire up the BBQ and do some lamb soon, got a bunch of chimichurri to put on it. Life is ok right now.

The grass is like 30 cms high after two weeks away. Woooow

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Wasn't there an entire season of WD that didn't even feature Edd?

And wasn't it the most poorly received?

I have no idea how anyone watches that crap to begin with.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I'm all about cheap poo poo these days. Refurbed computers, chinese cell phones etc. Any vehicle I buy from here on out is gonna be cheap as hell unless I win a scratch off ticket.

Cheap is good because cheap these days is more than good enough.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Raluek posted:

Aren't those the ones that periodically call home to China with your usage data? :chloe:

Are there any smart phones that dont actively spy on their owners?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Bought a spin bike today :unsmith:

Also started a gluten free diet :smith:

Are you legitimaty gluten intolerant? Because otherwise it wont do dick.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

I'd rather just go outside. I really just wanted a way to do intervals without worry about running into things or breaking my bike.

So would I but Zwift.... is tolerable. I still really hate trainers but it does take the edge off the suck value. I cant ride due do my bowels not wanting to hold in food right now but at least I can Zwift for a half hour. And run for the bathroom if need be.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I HAVE PEOPLE SKILLS

I'm trying to reconcile that comment and failing

Edit : I've lost 3kgs inthe last two days and now I cant loving fart. gently caress YOU STOMACH

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 29, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

You don't really realize how much good farts matter until they begin to betray you.

Oh Lord this!

Thank gently caress whatever boiling brew in my guts finally escaped. Talk about deeply offensive smell tho.

quote:

(warning: you might poo poo yourself)

Got that covered right now, thanks.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Geoj posted:

The latter blows my mind. A friend of mine makes about $70k a year and his wife makes $55k, yet they have nearly $30,000 in credit card debt plus two cars they're making payments on and mostly live paycheck to paycheck.

Granted they have three kids (two in elementary school, the third started preschool last fall) but still I don't know how they manage to blow through $130,000 anually and still need to use credit cards.

3 kids would do that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Goddamn rdb that's rough as gently caress. Condolances and please vent as much as you want.

bolind posted:

At first I was like: "Why would you put a pineapple on top of a gas tank?"

Stop the spiders from stealing it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Geoj posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

Just took a call from one of my old bosses at the call center that laid me off last month, asking if I could come in to sign a noncompete they "forgot" to have me sign when I first started there in summer of 2015.

He seemed genuinely confused when I said no, and doubly so when I explained that I stand to gain nothing by doing so when he asked why I was being "difficult".

LOLWUT

Thats just so stupid to even think you would sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

That's it for March, go to the April thread!

• Locked thread