Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My wife decided for the first time in 8 years of being married to hand wash a car. The brand new Prius. With my 2 year old. With dishwashing liquid. With the abrasive dish washing sponges. And just let the 2 year old have free reign in the gravel driveway dropping and picking up the sponge (thus acquiring tiny rocks stuck to it).

I now have literally hundreds of through the paint scratches on our brand loving new car. FML. Oh and I am the rear end in a top hat for getting mad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Maksimus54 posted:

That sucks but at least it's just a Prius. With the addition of the "family" vehicle I just stopped giving a gently caress in short order to avoid losing my poo poo over stuff like that

Well I don't know about you but the first new car I have bought in the past 15+ years it is not "just a Prius". It is loving 3 months old.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

That is one of my worst nightmares and you are 100% not alone right now. First thing I taught my daughter when washing a car was try to never drop the sponge, and if you do, give it to me to clean the rocks out.

I would do the exact same, I just didn't expect out of the blue to have my wife unleash the 2 year old to wash THE BRAND loving NEW CAR. FWIW I appreciate the support!

quote:

Jesus.....Ignorance is no excuse to make you feel like the rear end in a top hat for being mad, she hosed up, should be apologetic and be doing what she can to make it right.

Hopefully a good detailer can fix it.

Ha ha! This happened last week and I just saw today because we have been on vacation. She literally told me she thought I would be happy she waited to tell me until after vacation )hint: she didn't tell me I saw it when we got back, and at first she said it was from the cat climbing on the car. Yet there are no scratches on the two other cars that the cat has been climing on for the past 8 years? Did I mention FML?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Jesus christ let the man vent. I'm sure he's not going to divorce his wife and shake the baby to death, he just needs to work it out with people who get it.

Thanks man. There was no raging on my part. I am a high strung guy and I get pissed at a lot of stuff that I shouldn't. I mentally prepared myself when surprising my wife with a BRAND NEW CAR Christmas that there would be dings and scratches acquired. But not a thorough ruining of the paint job all in one go.

Bringing it home:

And the perpetrator:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm sorry, please enlighten me with your much better perspective of the world :allears:

For real, jeez

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Cage posted:

Cute kid, now you get to have some bonding time by showing them the right way to wash a car since they're both into it now.

Lets see how bad the paint is.

I will snap an up close pic tonight if the weather clears up. The worst is on the hood I can feel the scratches with my fingernail. Light scratches ALL OVER both sides but I am not too concerned about that should take well to treatment. On the bright side the 2 year old didn't make it to the hatch door so I got that going for me (plus solidified streaks of Dawn that weren't washed off)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
double post

everdave fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 17, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd be pissed if any car I owned got that treatment, new or old.

Worse, it is "Desert Sand Metallic" not just black black

quote:

Well my Friday night is sitting at the dining table on the works laptop making presentations for douche bag VIPs for Monday, how is everyone else doing?

I am about to start drinking at work everything is fine I am not stressed at all thanks

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I worked until 1AM, evaluated a BLS skills class from 0700-1245, and now am on shift from 1300-0100.

I'm sorry I can't remember - where you living at now since the Valentine showdown?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

I live by Banner Estrella, but come out of Mesa. So I slept in the bus from 0100-0630 at the Mesa station.

I was more asking like you have a place and not living in the bus was what I was wondering. Anyways I never said anything but glad you extracted yourself from that situation.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Beverly Cleavage posted:

edit: responded after leaving the screen static for awhile. helloooo old conversation.

everdave: I can commiserate to a degree. Our new vehicle needed a new fender 6 months in because the Mrs. misjudged a parking area. She at least knew enough to tell me right away, and since it's a van, i was largely able to not lose my cool.

One year later, and the same fender is scraped up again. :sigh:

I feel your pain man!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/tbkRukp

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/8UidOFm

Pic links, not sure how to embed in posting from phone

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Or long-click the image, open image in new tab, copy URL.

Will edit when the little troublemaker goes to bed

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

Tough one. A detailer can get 90% of those out. A wax made for black cars will make the rest of the scratches mostly disappear. It's bad, but the good thing is that "black waxes" are perfect to hide the damage.

Edit: on that note, if you have a medium-colored car that has a nasty white-showing scratch that stands out, a "black wax" will hide the scratch really well. The white just seems to jump out at you, but getting a darker color hides well. I tried that on my beater Avalon that has a number of bad scratches, and it made a really stunning difference.

Thanks, will do some checking around this coming week. What should be a fair price?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

I'm assuming that the scratches are only on the bottom half (where a 2 year old can reach)? I am not really worried about the dishwashing liquid or even the Scotchbrite pad, but the gravel... yeah, that's bad. I'd say $200 at a detailer would be ballpark. Or, for the same $200 you could buy a Porter Cable orbital buffer, some pads and some product and have a bonding time with your wife... and get some microfiber cloths and let your devil spawn help to wipe off.

Thanks for info! I seriously might try to tackle myself, there is nothing I hate more than paying someone to do something that I could have done myself. About to begin a massive fence building project because I refuse to hire anyone after seeing the "quality" of the $7k fence my friend just had Lowes put up.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

rdb posted:

Everdave, that's a great car regardless of what people think. I bought my Prius C in 2014 as a leftover 2013. It's got ~100k on it now and has probably saved around $10k in fuel vs the Duramax Silverado and F150 I had at the time. It's also the least maintenance intensive car I have ever owned. Yeah, it's not a sports car, but neither is a Mazda 3, Civic, Corolla, etc regardless of what people think.

It's the best choice for an A to B car that I can think of.

Mine is also at the body shop right now. That 3 stage Toyota paint is expensive as hell to fix. Yours should buff to the point no one will notice.

I am hardly ever in it as I have it to my wife but every time I drive it I love it. And holy crap mine has the LED headlights, they are amazing. Free maintenance first 2 years (which is a whopping 2 oil changes called for). I got it at a great price too

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

scrubs season six posted:

Those are nasty but I bet fixable.

As everyone knows, being that it's black it'll be a million times tougher to get rid of all evidence of it but I bet it's possible or at least mostly possible.

My mom closed the garage door when she had the hatch open on her 4 month old dark blue Forester and a metal crossbar on the garage door scratched the gently caress out of her hatch as it came down trying to force the hatch shut. I got 95% of it out with mild rubbing compound and elbow grease. I probably could have gotten 100% but I wanted to leave a small reminder of her shame.

Thanks for some hope! Even with all the brown/gold metallic in paint?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

Get a PC buffer, hard pad and Meguiars Ultimate Compound and go nuts. You'll be amazed.
Reasoning on the PC buffer and not a harbor freight chinesium special (I just got a PC air compressor for my fence project)?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

That's funny, I was just quoted 7k from Home Depot to replace my fence, and said gently caress it I'll do it myself. Yesterday I went to Lowes and ordered everything I needed besides a gate for under 3k with 0% for 12 months.

All I gotta do is get cement now, just gotta figure out how much I need and have it delivered because gently caress getting that poo poo by myself :v:

I plan on doing a thread in DIY starting buying posts and concrete Sunday

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Ha, maybe I'll post pics of mine too why not. You doing vinyl or wood?

How much concrete per post are you using and which type?

I don't know yet honestly learning as I go

Edit: all wood

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

You can't have it, you'll wash it with rocks.

Exactly!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What, taking it rallying? Sounds like a win to me

Too bad after taxes it would literally be 3 of the Prius C I just bought. And my Prius has more room in the backseat than this does. BUT IT IS BADASS. I am on and off looking at rebuilt ST's (not many RS's showing up yet)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

So, uh, how hard is it to learn stick? If I bought a Focus RS or Civic R with no manual experience would I just gently caress up the car and cost myself a ton of money?

At 15 years old the first stick I attempted went flawless, of course I was in the high school library every chance I got reading 20 year old car and drivers but if you can wrap your mind around the concept of a clutch and letting it out as you engage gas then you will be fine. On the other hand the RS is an extreme car, a 40k+ car, I would not want to test yourself on that. A honda shifts like butter and you will be spoiled if you start with that. Find a $1k 5 speed 90s neon or Altima or civic to practice on? Shame that there are no manuals for rent in America.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Got the fuel filter changed on my wife's Tracker and wow the problem is solved :toot:

Also found out that it was bought in Naples, Florida originally. Considering the mileage and it's age I honestly feel that this vehicle has never left Naples and us driving it home is the furthest it's driven.

Seems like there are a few eBay car dealers from Naples and area that specialize in selling low mileage cream puffs

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So I snagged the Forza 3 Horizon PC demo.

...... my PC seems really lovely now. I can play the demo, but it struggles to maintain 30 FPS. :sigh: I think my CPU (i5-2500k @ 4.2 GHz) is enough (even though their spec page says it's not); pretty sure it's my GTX 650 Ti SSC that's holding it back. Had CoreTemp and an EVGA utility running on the second screen, CPU temps didn't go up much (and load never really got past 40%), but the GPU temps skyrocketed. Video card fan sounded like my hairdryer after a few minutes.

Your CPU is fine (crazy how good old i5's still are). Maybe go with a 1050ti? I have been using them in budget builds, they are as little as $135 these days.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

I just bought a 2009 Mazda CX9. It has the roof rails, but no cross bars. Should I go with OEM (~$120), super cheap chinese special (~$50) or ???. I don't expect to use them much, mostly for holding a cargo carrier on vacation, maybe a canoe or some kayaks occasionally. I really can't justify spending $$$$ on Thule or similar for something I'll use infrequently. I'm leaning towards OEM at the moment.

Get the OEM part number and watch eBay for a set to show up

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My very rich (multi millionaire) brother in law did this thing where he sent vials of blood in to get tested and this company sent him back info on what foods were best for his body and what he was "allergic" to. I'm sure this was expensive but he said it changed his life and he has never felt better. He was already a fitness nut (he is 60 and looks 40). I mention every time he brings it up (I only see him like 10 times a year) how awesome that sounds hoping he would hook me up.

Also I will be 40 in less than 5 hours and the crippling depression is already setting in!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

EVGA's Ti SC version is currently $145, the Ti SSC version is $160. Those are both for the 4GB versions too.

That's... not bad at all, and has to be a hell of an upgrade over my 650 GTX Ti SSC. I'll probably try to justify the SSC version in a few weeks. Only had to use EVGA's warranty once, but their customer service and warranty has sold me. I'd need an HDMI to DVI adapter for my 2nd monitor, but that's not expensive.

Kinda surprised they don't need their own power supply connector, I guess they've done some real work on the

I actually picked up another evga 4gb 1050ti new on eBay last night for $120 because there was a flash coupon for $15 off. Had a kid in 2 days ago had a quad core 2 extreme he was going to get an amd mobo and a Fx chip spend about 600 upgrading convinced home let me sell you this 1050ti and clean your system up (someone built it for him and was a mess) for $200 he called me today and said it is glorious.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

There's still days where beer/liquor is my only source of caloric intake.
This is probably a good portion of my problem.

Are you me?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Ferremit posted:

I'm waiting for the 1080ti to come out fully because it's going to tank the price of the rest of the 10 series cards hard- already starting to see 1080's at 1060's prices.

I'm not really needing to upgrade the rest of the PC- it's a 2600K that runs happily at 4.2ghz with a corsair HN80 water cooler on it. Bout the only thing I could really upgrade would be swapping the 16gb of 1600mhz ram out for 32gb of 2133 and getting another 512gb ssd and run them in raid for a primary drive.

The Evga 770 GTX superclocked 4gb GPU still holds it own but BF1 constantly bitches about frame rates.

We are on a glorious eve of cheap powerful cards. The future is now.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have many parts stores in a Relatively small town but I have found one Advance that seems to really have good people. Particularly one time when I just knew it was my alternator and the guy convinced me to leave my battery and let him do the long test. I mean really had to convince me. And it was the battery still on same alt 2+ years later.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

I might order a hitch and work on it at a friend's house. Toyota wants exhorbitant amounts of money to do the install.

This thing is listed to tow 1000lbs without braking and 1750 with. So that's a small utility trailer.

The Curt brand hitch for my Prius C is only 6 bolts no drilling, very nicely made. Got it for $65 off ebay.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

auto pay to your credit card, collect those reward points or cashback, pay it off every single month.

I just entered the world of points and card churning last month...I am addicted!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve and the Ink Business Preferred

180,000 sweet bonus points

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

ilkhan posted:

I'm debating on the CSR. $500 is a lot to pay for an AF, even if the rewards are pretty enticing. I wouldn't pay more than one AF, either way. Maybe if I traveled more consistently.

Not to derail into CC chat but if you do anything remotely travel related (rent a car, stay in a hotel, buy airline ticket) $300 per year of that gets credited back so fee only $150. They pay for Global Entry which is $100 back so if I use that it's down to $50, and don't even get me started on other benefits like primary rental car insurance and Priority Pass airport lounge access. The CSP is solid card too and only $95 year.

everdave fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 24, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Guy buying the house: make sure to get a thorough home inspection pre sale! I feel very lucky to own my house but just be prepared. It is a lot easier if you are single with no kids (I have kids, when AC or water heater goes out I have to fix, if I was single I'd get to it eventually and just drink and bear it)

everdave fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 25, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
May have a chance to pick up a 1976 Nova factory v8/air car tomorrow for $1500-1800 bucks. Decent body rough interior, been looking for one past 20 years (was my high school car). Thoughts on paying that? It has a rebuilt title from who knows what but is claimed straight. Looking for a build for myself not to flip or anything.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I unloaded maybe a ton (35 12 foot 6x6 posts) for my fence project and my new to me 40 year old back is hurting in ways I don't recall feeling before

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Got 1/3 of mine done. Had issues with (big) rocks digging the post holes, had to buy a breaking bar to smash through them and had to resort to cutting a post short. My hands are the most sore, must be from whacking at rocks with the heavy bar. Yay me I still get to finish the other 2/3 and hang two gates :smithicide:

Putting a new back door in this weekend (did front door past weekend). Then a family beach trip but weekend after that me and a friend start digging post holes and hope to get all these set. Then will spend the next month or two weekends doing the panel sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

rdb posted:

Living in the present, let's see... my 15 month old son died a month ago and it still feels like I stood in front of a cannon, my employment contract expires tomorrow so I will be officially unemployed, car was in an accident and still not fixed so my wife and I only have one vehicle, and I had been riding my motorcycle but the rear tire corded and the tire changer/balancer I ordered a month ago hasn't come in.

Oddly enough I do have money but for all the wrong reasons. Retention bonuses and life insurance. Would give it all back in a second just to hug my kid :(

I'm done won't bitch again.

The only thing keeping me alive is my kids I am so sorry. If you ever need anything that a goon could possibly help with let us know. Prayers for you if you believe otherwise I am wishing you all the best. I am so sorry.

• Locked thread