Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's spring break and I work at a beach resort in Florida, somebody kill me now please :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

scrubs season six posted:

Get her a Pentax K1000 and tell her that any good photography class includes developing and printing your own pictures.

That's a total waste of time unless you plan on using large format for fine art photography.

At this point shooting film is just a novelty, ask me how I know.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

That's largely true, but there's something about actually working with film and learning what the terminology really means outside of an Adobe menu that is incredibly useful, satisfying, and can help with more intuitively navigating Photoshop/Lightroom.

*realizes his Photo 101 B&W class was over 10 years ago*

Nevermind, I'm now grandpa talking about how he made and used a REAL dodge/burn tool :smith:

I learned on film just as digital was taking starting to take a foothold, and even did lots of paid work on film.

The amount of time (a lot) I spent in dark rooms was fun, but really completely useless as the time would have been better spent learning how to use photoshop.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I've taken college credit photography classes.... one of which was long ago enough (2002) that it required a specific model of full manual SLR 35mm (I believe Pentax, actually), and learning how to use the campus darkroom (that darkroom is now a closet).That camera had NOTHING automatic; it had a light meter, and that was it - everything else was up to you.

The other classes were a bit more recent (2011), and were 100% digital, though the instructor did take us to some presentations by some famous photographers who always shot film. But the first (of 2) classes required that we present all of our work in B&W, and required at least an entry level DSLR. Had to learn how to mount prints as well, which even then, I think was a dying art. So many people didn't see the point, while I still have most of my (mounted) prints from that class.

I've got a giant 60x30 print hanging on my wall off a 35mm B&W negative I shot at a local state park of an old Spanish war era fort.

Normally it's close to impossible to get a good print that big off 35mm, but I lucked out because the exposure was perfect and the guy that made the print was a master at his craft. I also have TONS of B&W family portraits around the house. I definitely had fun shooting film, but these days it's just too much of a pain to deal with.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As much as I am a fan of digital and I aint touching film again..... in all honesty film is the best to learn with, for one specific reason - there's no room for mistakes. It forces you to think about the shot, how to compose, how to set the apature and field of focus becuase as soon as you press the button that's it and you only got 11 or up to 35 more shots availible with no edit and no erase. It really makes you learn how to use a camera properly and I really apreciate using the old Pentax SLR for that reason.

Sure, I can be lazy and just shoot a test / check / adjust / erase / shoot / check these days because I can. But the grounding on how to work the camera and understanding how to get the best out of a D-SLR? Use a film camera first, simply because it really makes you think and understand.

That's all well and good, but these days with expensive schools and people trying to learn how to make a living at it (good luck) it's really just a waste of time imo. When I was in school we spent WAY too much time in the dark room when we could have been on photoshop instead. Fact is you don't have to get the shots right the first time anymore, that's a thing of the past. Do I wish it was different? Sure, because if there was no such thing as digital cameras right now I'd be making a killing shooting film because unlike most people coming into the industry I CAN get it right the first time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You're right, I've owned them all. The last one I flipped after I got it for 700, fixed the ecu fault (you can get the fix on ebay) cleaned it up and sold it for 3k. Not as cool as Samurais because you cant take the doors off. And yes they are all gutless wonders.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

McTinkerson posted:

With the recent St. Petersburg chat in the post your ride thread, I'm going to be there from May 1/2 to May​ 6 this year. Anything cool to see / do?

Edit: spelling

Plenty of poo poo to do, too much to list. Comes down to what YOU like to do. We have the beaches and a great downtown area as well as a huge state park.

You can pm me if you like, or just shoot any questions here.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

My wife decided for the first time in 8 years of being married to hand wash a car. The brand new Prius. With my 2 year old. With dishwashing liquid. With the abrasive dish washing sponges. And just let the 2 year old have free reign in the gravel driveway dropping and picking up the sponge (thus acquiring tiny rocks stuck to it).

I now have literally hundreds of through the paint scratches on our brand loving new car. FML. Oh and I am the rear end in a top hat for getting mad about it.

Jesus.....Ignorance is no excuse to make you feel like the rear end in a top hat for being mad, she hosed up, should be apologetic and be doing what she can to make it right.

Hopefully a good detailer can fix it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

I've driven priuses, trust me, it's just a Prius.

That's a dumbass thing to say. It's a brand new car no matter what kind of car it is, don't act like you wouldn't be pissed if it happened to you.

everdave posted:

Ha ha! This happened last week and I just saw today because we have been on vacation. She literally told me she thought I would be happy she waited to tell me until after vacation )hint: she didn't tell me I saw it when we got back, and at first she said it was from the cat climbing on the car. Yet there are no scratches on the two other cars that the cat has been climing on for the past 8 years? Did I mention FML?

Haha wow, trying to cover it up too. Yeah I'd be highly upset.

Cage posted:

Plenty more stuff of yours will get ruined and lose value, learn to chill out.

Easy to say when you don't have a brand new car I suppose.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 17, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

FML.
And no kids. :D

Or a wife. So yeah, no clue.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm sorry, please enlighten me with your much better perspective of the world :allears:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah post some pics of the paint, maybe meatpimp can tell you if it's salvageable or not.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If the scratches are as bad as you say I'd take it to a pro detailer and get an opinion. Some guys can work wonders with some compound and a professional buffer. I wouldn't want to tackle that myself with a lovely buffer and make things worse.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd be pissed if any car I owned got that treatment, new or old.

Well my Friday night is sitting at the dining table on the works laptop making presentations for douche bag VIPs for Monday, how is everyone else doing?

Doing ok, partaking in a little :420: and giving my xB it's first wash. Holly poo poo the wheels under the covers are disgusting, does nobody wash under the covers once in a while anymore?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Anybody know if anyone's going to be streaming Sebring tomorrow? Looks like FoxSports1 will be airing it on TV, but no cable.

Download the FoxSports1 app and you should be able to watch it.....Idk if you gotta be a cable subscriber or not tho.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

Thanks for info! I seriously might try to tackle myself, there is nothing I hate more than paying someone to do something that I could have done myself. About to begin a massive fence building project because I refuse to hire anyone after seeing the "quality" of the $7k fence my friend just had Lowes put up.

That's funny, I was just quoted 7k from Home Depot to replace my fence, and said gently caress it I'll do it myself. Yesterday I went to Lowes and ordered everything I needed besides a gate for under 3k with 0% for 12 months.

All I gotta do is get cement now, just gotta figure out how much I need and have it delivered because gently caress getting that poo poo by myself :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

I plan on doing a thread in DIY starting buying posts and concrete Sunday

Ha, maybe I'll post pics of mine too why not. You doing vinyl or wood?

How much concrete per post are you using and which type?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been trying to gain weight, loving crohns disease would wither me away if I let it :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sinestro posted:

I've got Crohn's, this is not my experience. I'm sorry it's got you bad though.

I can't complain too much, there are people that have it a lot worse than me. I'm 6 foot, used to average about 165, and went as low as 148 when I was first diagnosed, and now I can keep it around 155. If I eat a poo poo ton and lift weights I can stay around 160 but it's a lot of work. Especially with low energy issues, pain, and just not wanting to eat in general cuz of the disease.

I just saw a medical marijuana doctor recently and I'm waiting on my card so hopefully that will help :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

Keep fighting. I've been battling UC, completely off meds, the remicade quit working, and the only alternate suggested by the doctor is surgery.

Wow, are you using marijuana at all for it? I can't imagine needing surgery for this poo poo. I'm not giving up tho that's for sure.

Supposedly there are some people close to a cure and there's live human trials going on right now, we'll see but here's to hoping.....I was coincidentally at the VA today having my gastro doctor telling me he wants to put me on Humira because the steroids I've been on aren't doing squat.....And then scoffs at the idea of cannabis helping for anything other than appetite.

Joke's on him because as soon as I get my MM card I'm done with meds, lots of people having success with MM, some even going into remission.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

I tried CBD oil for a while, but again it's only mild symptom management. You have to watch because a lot of "commercial" marijuana strains are high THC and almost no CBD, which is the opposite of what would help. CBD helps with inflammation, and an increase in appetite can help you eat enough to not starve, but again all it's doing is managing a few symptoms. Depending on the symptoms though, it might be all you need to feel normal

All of the biologics like humira, remicade and simponi all have at best 50% efficacy, and that's in the trials they're willing to publish. With long term steroid use, the cure is probably worse than the disease. So many doctors are practicing 30 year old science with this because it's easy and profitable.

There are a few strains right now that are very high in CBD almost 50/50 with THC, that's what I'm shooting for and hopefully the dispensary I end up going to will have it available. The THC actually takes the edge off the pain really well, and if I can get the CBD with that to control the inflammation I think I can go med free.....I'm really hoping that it will work :ohdear:

quote:

My biggest problems with appetite and food seem to be almost entirely in my head. From keeping food journals, writing what i ate and correlating that to symptoms, i ended up identifying basically all food with pain. I would gag and get nauseous at the thought of eating something, but if i force myself to eat, within a few bites it's fine. It's just really hard to force yourself to go through the effort of preparing a meal, and i could imagine marijuana would help with that.

I'm having a really hard time trying to identify what foods cause a flare up, it's almost impossible. Some days it seems like everything sucks, and other days i can eat whatever the gently caress I want.....I'm starting to think my doctor might be right about food not really making a difference, but he has also admitted there's a big study going on right now about food correlation so who knows. I love coffee and tried giving it up thinking it would help and there was no difference, started drinking again and no change, and supposedly coffee is a BIG no no. :shrug:

quote:

UC is a little different, in only affecting the colon, but what i've had success with is avoiding any food with emulsifiers like sodium stearol-2-lactylate or polysorbate 20/40/60/80, they've been proven to allow bacteria to transverse the mucosal layer in the colon

Could you be more specific here? Got a link to more info? I'd pm you but you don't have pm's.

quote:

It's a huge pain in the rear end to research this stuff, because it seems anybody who wants to can call themselves a doctor, and a lot of bullshit "naturopaths" latch on to bits and pieces of the science, and begin to bend it to their agenda. You get 10 paragraphs into Dr. fuckface's dissertation and he starts saying poo poo like "leaky gut" and "detoxify" and you realize his doctorate is in magic from the christian science university of the bahamas and in the time you lost reading his bullshit, you could have gotten that same accreditation.

Lol yep. I'm a member of a crohns forum and everyone's experience is so different it's hard to get any solid info there either. Everyone reacts differently to meds, but at least from what I've seem MM is having a positive effect on almost all the people that are using it.

Good luck man, it sounds like you're on the right track to staying med free.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Anything that fucks your digestive tract that much usually means struggling to eat enough to keep weight on. Trying to gain weight...good luck hope you like eating to the point of feeling sick.

That's exactly my issue. I can get to the weight I want, but it's so much loving work shoving food down my throat it just gets tiring and I don't care after awhile, then I'm shortly back down to the 155 range. Another problem with not being able to absorb food properly is strength, I've never felt so weak in my entire life, I'm 46 yrs old and I feel like I'm 80 :smith:

Thinking about getting a spin bike to try and keep the strength in my legs :unsmith:

IBD chat itt :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 21, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Or green tea. Iced green tea is the poo poo.

Anyone have their wisdom teeth yanked out recently? I gotta have it done next week (all four) and I'm wondering how much down time I'm gonna have.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Costco has some season plants in stock at the moment and they have 12~ ft fishtail palms for 60 bucks. Normally they go for $160. We shoved it in the tiny van and it was flawlessly handled.

Nice, I've got three fishtails in my back yard and one of them is a gigantic specimen that I saved from the dumpster over a decade ago. Glorious palms but they make a loving mess once they are mature.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Home ownership is overrated. Just started work on replacing my worn out wood fence with a vinyl fence, 28 8 foot panels. Then I have to replace all the grass with new sod and install a sprinkler system, so about a month's or more worth of weekends are ruined. Yay?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

keykey posted:

But.. But.. There's priiiiiiiide of ownerrrrrrshiiiiiip, right? I hire that poo poo out, I loving hate yard work.

Would have cost me over 7k to have the fence done. I got all the materials for under 3k. It sucks yeah, but it's a no brainer unless you have disposeable income which i don't.

Gonna price out having the sprinkler system put in because I really don't want to do it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Our property has 7 fully-grown live oaks, nothing is as bad as those pollen strings which are currently raining down at the moment. Our neighbors have live oaks too so everyone is in on the dusty party!

Luckily I don't have oaks in my yard, but there is enough around to make everything yellow. This time of year everything gets yellow, the poo poo even goes through screen what the gently caress.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just helped my brother find and buy a pickup and holy crap the market on them is crazy, he ended up spending over 8k on an '02 silverado :psyduck:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I couldn't help comparing the Lexus LS I just bought recently to it.....A flawless '03 for 9k that was twice the price of a Silverado brand new, gotta love luxury car depreciation :v:

The truck he ended up getting is nice but is definitely used GM quality and drives like garbage, no way I'd want one as a daily.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bought a spin bike today :unsmith:

Also started a gluten free diet :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Are you legitimaty gluten intolerant? Because otherwise it wont do dick.

I have crohn's disease and it has been suggested that it may help so I'm giving it a try for two weeks. If there's no change after two weeks I can go back to my diet of Dunkin Donuts and Jersey Mikes.

nm posted:

I tried using a spin bike for the last 3 months to do some intervals, and it makes me angry. Something about pedaling and going nowhere really fucks with me.

I'm gonna use the spin bike as a good low impact way to keep my legs in shape. Not really interested in riding my bike around here for daily exercise, so I'm hoping this will work.

Seminal Flu posted:

Try Zwift. It can make riding inside really feel like a true ride. High price barrier to entry, but other than that, awesome.

Holy poo poo that looks cool as hell, gonna be keeping my eye on that thanks meatpimp.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 29, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

I unloaded maybe a ton (35 12 foot 6x6 posts) for my fence project and my new to me 40 year old back is hurting in ways I don't recall feeling before

Got 1/3 of mine done. Had issues with (big) rocks digging the post holes, had to buy a breaking bar to smash through them and had to resort to cutting a post short. My hands are the most sore, must be from whacking at rocks with the heavy bar. Yay me I still get to finish the other 2/3 and hang two gates :smithicide:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Just ignore the tornado warning. What's the worst that could happen? You land in the next county over, crush an old lady and become lord of the midgets?

Years ago when i was in Talladega Alabama covering a NASACAR race, I decided to tent camp in the track infield since it was free and i could use the showers in the garage area. One night before going to bed, I remember hearing people talk about a storm coming but didn't really pay much attention. Cue waking up in the middle of the night to my tent trying to take flight and tornado sirens blaring with inaudible announcement which I assumed was saying PUT YOUR HEAD BETWEEN YOUR LEGS AND KISS YOUR rear end GOODBYE.

I have never got up and got dressed that fast in my life, the whole time trying not to poo poo myself while doing it, and got into my car which wasn't all that safe but a hell of a lot safer than a tent. That morning in the media center everyone was freaking out about what happened including most of the drivers when it was comfirmed a tornado had indeed touched down very close to the track :ohdear:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

rdb posted:

My advice to those with kids, just give them a hug, spend time with them, and let them know you love them. Realize that they are, in fact, kids and not little adults. Time doesn't go backwards, and we are all mortal.

I am so sorry for your loss. I hug my son and tell him I love him every day, and I am thankful every day that he is a healthy active little boy. I don't know how much time i have left on this earth to spend with him, so I cherish the time that I do have. My life pretty much revolves around him and I'm just fine with that :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geoj posted:

Not in as many words, but that was th jist of it. I asked him if he'd go along with it if he were in my shoes and his response was "we're not asking you to sign away your ability to find work." Based on that I'm not even sure if he knows what "noncompete" means.

Absolutely no interest in returning to work there either, unless they'd be willing to add a zero to the end of my previous salary.

Yeah it sounds to me like he has no clue what it actually means, and is more likely trying to cover his rear end for it not being done in the first place.

How did you even get any words out, I would have been too busy laughing :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would have shot him through the phone ala Kung Fury

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzDgaGTARqE

• Locked thread